Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also think that this dishonesty is a disgusting way to exploit (mostly) women's insecurities.
When you have an issue which bothers you, and someone claims to have found a miracle cure or product which will change your life, it hooks you in. She knows this. She makes money, knowing that she is selling us false hopes and dreams and it just makes me so angry.
She's not a beauty editor or whatever her job title currently is. She's an advertising board, a walking talking billboard for whichever company has paid her, sent her a freebie or is run by her mates.

Reactions: 12
I think having an excuse to turn off Guardian comments was a handy bonus.

To my mind the cause (or the lead up) was a combination of several things

1. Generally being called out for inconsistencies - these comments were happening everywhere. Guardian comments, instagram, twitter, here. They were building up to a crescendo, and that they were being talked about here provided an index where anyone could see them en masse. Not a good look. When you are being shady but it's happening in small ways all over the place it's ok. When people are comparing notes and keeping a record... not so great
2. The embarassing Victoria Beckham makeup "first look" video - the video itself seemed contrived and another publication (The Telegraph) was chosen for the launch splash. And despite hints or direct invites Victoria did not appear on "In The Bathroom With"
3. SH published Instagram content on botox/fillers/tweakments where a lot of nonsensical answers were given. She has a weak dilute of botox (not possible). She goes to see a top doctor for her botox but sometimes they miss areas. She only thinks influencer and beauty writers should disclose tweakments if they are specifically plugging anti-ageing products. Claims she had been totally honest and upfront about work she'd had done in the past. But this did not appear to be the case. The goal posts seemed to be in constant movement.
4. Small, ongoing inconsistencies became apparent. As one example, in a Guardian column she said she had been a fan of squalane for years and years, despite no mention that anyone could recall in her book, in her Facebook group, her own forum (Sali Hughes Beauty), previous Guardian columns etc. With no plausible explanation for needing to make this up.
5. A sustainability column in the Guardian one week, followed by a fast fashion, throwaway hair clip column the next.
6. The sustainability column featured a brand (Aveda) whose sustainability credentials are questionable (greenwashing) AND they had recently flown Sali to an all expenses paid trip to America for an industry sustainability conference - not disclosed in the column. Nor was it disclosed she has done paid work with Aveda. Comments politely asking about this were deleted by the Guardian mods.
7. Another company named in the most ethical list (Living Sea Therapy) had flown Sali and a few of her twitter crew to Cornwall for an all-expenses paid trip a few months prior to the column. Again not disclosed.
8. In parrallel there had been allegations of rampant workplace bullying in the beauty industry with numerous, detailed, consistent allegations about Charlotte Tilbury (the company and the person) - as Sali describes herself as a journalist she had comments asking if she was going to look into it and if she would continue to mention CT products in the meantime. This was on top of the feeling that Charlotte Tilbury products were disproportionately lauded in Sali's columns and that the products were mixed - overall good but not great, and mostly it was about the hype and celebrity aura of Charlotte.

Then, in rapid succession,

9. A few people here shared the polite questions they had asked Sali on Twitter or Instagram. As some went by their real names (or variations of) on those platforms, Sali and people close to her eg Caitlin Moran and her assistant Lauren began a strange trolling campaign against these people -
liking photographs of their children on Facebook (from years ago), perusing their LinkedIn profiles, direct messages pointing out "I know who you are and where you live" and so on.
10. Evidence of this was shared with Estee Laundry, an instagram account dedicated to showing the underbelly of the beauty industry (who was sharing the allegations of bullying in the industry). Estee Laundry posted about it, not making any accusations as far as i know but posing the question if Sali herself was engaging in bullying behaviour.
11. Boom! Rage Friday video.

Phew, that was a bit longer than I anticipated. What did I miss?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
That bit when she started hunting down people who had said she was a fraud was absolutely nuts. I still can't believe she was going through their personal Facebook profiles and threatening that she knew where they lived. All because people called her out over a ridiculous shower cap advert.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
That bit when she started hunting down people who had said she was a fraud was absolutely nuts. I still can't believe she was going through their personal Facebook profiles and threatening that she knew where they lived. All because people called her out over a ridiculous shower cap advert.
It was all very strange. And then the accusations on her video that her family and especially her children were being targeted. You would have to go through pages and pages of comments here (a folder full in fact) to see them even mentioned once - and only in the context of her talking about them on SM. And the beginning of the video - 'a group of women (why this is so important I still have no idea) hate me and want me to lose my job'. Neither of which were true - we just wanted her to do her job better, like she had in the past. She made it sound so irrational and deranged, instead of the carefully considered points put over a long time by former fans who felt let down, disillusioned and frankly mislead on occasion.
I agree with Pineapple Queen that the Victoria Beckham stuff (which was shortly before her video) seems to have been part of the problem.

Reactions: 13
a weak dilute of botox
This phrase always brings a smile to my face.

Speaking of diluting, in her new IG video where she showcases the new EL foundation, she said she sometimes mixes it with ANR serum - "if you have it lying around" :LOL: Naturally I have an expensive serum just lying around, as are my heirloom lipsticks tossed all over the place. While I'm draped in brocade reclining on a vintage chaise longue...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I went back through every single post, to see if her children had been mentioned before she made her video of lies.

They were, on two separate issues.

The first time was when she suddenly starting including her son in her posts and people were merely commenting on the fact that it was happening.

The second time was when Sali had (ridiculously) claimed that her sons were upset by the fact that Jeremy Corbyn was wearing a coat they did not approve of.

So the only times her children were mentioned were in direct response to her mentioning them. Infuriating the way she twisted the truth to make herself into a victim.

• Wow
Reactions: 27
This phrase always brings a smile to my face.

Speaking of diluting, in her new IG video where she showcases the new EL foundation, she said she sometimes mixes it with ANR serum - "if you have it lying around" :LOL: Naturally I have an expensive serum just lying around, as are my heirloom lipsticks tossed all over the place. While I'm draped in brocade reclining on a vintage chaise longue...
I love the bit when she starts to say " I've loved this for... well since the very first time I've used it" 😂😂 she was just about to say forever until she remembered what she was pedaling!!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I went back through every single post, to see if her children had been mentioned before she made her video of lies.

The first time was when she suddenly starting including her son in her posts and people were merely commenting on the fact that it was happening.

The second time was when Sali had (ridiculously) claimed that her sons were upset by the fact that Jeremy Corbyn was wearing a coat they did not approve of.

So the only times her children were mentioned were in direct response to her mentioning them. Infuriating the way she twisted the truth to make herself into a victim.
That is fascinating - good deep research 😂
When I first saw her video the insistence her children were targeted was baffling - I seriously thought she must have been talking about a different forum. Even more bizarre when she herself had 'liked' an old photo of a Tattle member's children on FB. How creepy is that? Even if she had 'liked' a photo of something else it would be a bit less strange - but children?

Reactions: 15
This is my first post on the Sali Hughes thread, even though she's the reason I first ended up browsing Tattle (before she accused us all of a campaign of terror)

I am so, so fed up. Years ago, I really enjoyed her columns and videos. I trusted her. She seemed to genuinely care. I was never a member of her forums, but I was an avid follower. I bought so many things on her recommendation, some were great (Parlux hairdryer) but I started to become increasingly frustrated when I would see her recommend a particular moisturiser as her favourite, uses it all the time, has done for years. I would purchase said product and then a few months later she'd be talking about a different moisturiser and still saying it was the best, her regular, etc.
I trusted her so much that when I needed something I would check what she said. Eyeliner has run out, Google "Sali Hughes eyeliner"
I feel such a fool now and it makes me sad. She's sold out, and she won't even admit it.

On a side note, I have also become increasingly frustrated with the way she behaves on Twitter. The rude, snippy comments. When she started gunning for the Labour Party because of Jeremy Corbyn, I get he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but don't damage the Labour Party in your petty games 😕 She's a horrible hypocrite, being nasty to people and then having a tantrum because we've called her dishonesty out over here.

Urgh, anyway thanks for letting me get that off my chest. It has been weighing on my mind.
I could’ve written this. You’ve summed up my feelings exactly.

Reactions: 10
That is fascinating - good deep research 😂
When I first saw her video the insistence her children were targeted was baffling - I seriously thought she must have been talking about a different forum. Even more bizarre when she herself had 'liked' an old photo of a Tattle member's children on FB. How creepy is that? Even if she had 'liked' a photo of something else it would be a bit less strange - but children?
I still think she liked that photo by accident. I reckon she was trawling through any accounts she could find. Obsessing over them. These "women who hated her". She didn't mean to like the photo, and it was the way she was eventually caught. It is so creepy.

Reactions: 9
I still think she liked that photo by accident. I reckon she was trawling through any accounts she could find. Obsessing over them. These "women who hated her". She didn't mean to like the photo, and it was the way she was eventually caught. It is so creepy.
She said in the Freaky Friday video that when she found them, she did two things: "I let them know that I had seen them" (by liking the pictures) and "I silently blocked them"

Or words to that effect

• Wow
Reactions: 5
She said in the Freaky Friday video that when she found them, she did two things: "I let them know that I had seen them" (by liking the pictures) and "I silently blocked them"

Or words to that effect
I think she only said that because it sounds better than saying "I was creeping through her family photos late at night, and didn't realise I had liked one."
Damage control.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Or words to that effect
and then threatened them with a pop up surprise cat-flap visit from Eric :m

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Good research.

And the fact she was willing to twist reality to such a degree shows how valid the questions and inconsistencies raised here were. If they were so baseless she would have addressed them. No, easier to invent “trolling” of your family.

Btw @GrunkaLunka I adore your profile so much.

So keep your head down and keep your mouth shut
Grunka Lunka Lunka dunkety dutt!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yep, the claim that Tattlers trolled her children (or however she phrased it) was a smokescreen for her shady behaviour liking pics of a complete strangers kids on FB. She needed to beef up her victimisation to justify/explain her weird inappropriate behaviour. (Did you see how I slipped in the word ‘beef’ there?).

• Haha
Reactions: 8
View attachment 90430
Haha you can feel how much they’re dying to mention this place
I’ve never posted online about punching someone in the face.

Lauren, on the other hand... 🤷‍♀️

And it must have triggered shame because as soon as it was pointed out here, the tweet (and many others) were deleted. Doesn’t sound like owning your tit to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I could have written that! I did exactly the same- Googling Sali Hughes + item I needed/wanted as I trusted her opinions and that she was being truthful. It’s all rubbish! And I also feel like a fool for believing it was all from the goodness of her heart, etc. “I’ve been a fan for decades” etc. How is it possible to have used so many things regularly for so many years?!
The mean and snippy Twitter and Insta comments make me dislike her so much more. Just say nothing if you can’t say something politely or kindly.
I’m Im just over her in general!
There’s a post on her insta and someone’s commented OMG your skin looks incredible! I want to reply saying it’s not just the foundation she’s selling, but Botox and fillers are making it look like that.
It’s just all bullshit and I’m tired of it!

Ive just inspired myself to unfollow 😂
Her skin does look AMAZING in that video (didn’t watch it all just watched the first few seconds with the sound off) . It looks so smooth and creamy, she’s a bit older than me and I’ve really looked after skin and it’s mad how she’s got no lines or texture. Hmmm.

genuinely I’d like to know exactly what her secret is.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.