Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Mm yes I thought that the clarified ASA rules posted on here recently showed that there is really no such thing as #presssample - it is an #AD.
As you say she was given the product for free, is promoting the product, therefore it is an #AD. She might argue she is not paid WITH MONEY to promote it, but the rules are that she was rewarded in some way - in this case the free products. Really not difficult you would think.
Bearing in mind she no doubt was sent the product in the hopes she would review it favourably, which she duly did, therefore #AD.

Reactions: 10

Apples87

Please someone reply to that tweet asking if we can lockdown seeing as she had her burger Tuesday so we are good to go now.

• Haha

GrunkaLunka

VIP Member
I think there has been some mention here regarding the dog and Lauren (?!) so I thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested.

Screenshot_20200328_102204.jpg

Lauren has her dog for lockdown. Can't imagine being without a member of my family during lockdown, but "you feel how you feel" right?

• Haha

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
I'm keeping a mental note of brands I'll be buying from after this (deciem early on committed to full staff paid leave) and those that have 'allegedly (but pretty obviously) been treating staff like shit. (Spacenk, Selfridges, Harvey Nicks)
Thanks for this! And let's keep a written note here, this behaviour should not be forgotten or taken lightly!

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I thought I was having terrible (and I mean terrible) deja vu. She has written about this before hasn't she? Including the unforgettable 'kitchen toasters'?
I know a fluffy Pool style piece might be a tonic for the nation 🤭 but I dunno, are there not more pressing and actually interesting beauty related topics a journalist doing not much else might explore? The ethics of buying beauty stuff online at this time (as discussed here), the way forward for beauty influencers in a culture that now values toilet roll and food over fripperies?

• Haha

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
She's urging people to go to restaurants? Only right-wing wingnuts are doing that here
THIS! Amazed that she feels qualified to encourage people to mingle during a pandemic. Influencers have no redeeming qualities! They say ridiculous things to generate content and it is unforgivably irresponsible and selfish. At this point it’s putting people, especially healthcare workers, at risk and under pressure. For what?

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Now she's an epidemiologist and sanitation expert apparently
It really is astonishing how many experts there are now on Corvid19. My husband and I try to out expert each other too tbf. In the privacy of our own home though.

And yes a good point that the humble and actually useful handwash is bad plastic, but expensive treats like Estée wotsits (not being rude - genuinely can't remember her name):£70 kit complete with utterly redundant thick plastic bag is 'nice'.

• Haha

RayRayJay

Her skin does look AMAZING in that video (didn’t watch it all just watched the first few seconds with the sound off) . It looks so smooth and creamy, she’s a bit older than me and I’ve really looked after skin and it’s mad how she’s got no lines or texture. Hmmm.

genuinely I’d like to know exactly what her secret is.
Botox and fillers....

Also a ring light. I was at a hotel with a ring light mirror and I looked amazing!

• Haha

Curio

Chatty Member
I’m going back to the prior discussion here but I’ve been thinking again about how if I opened a restaurant I’d get good and presumably critical reviews. While they’d sting, they’re part of running a business, particularly in the online era; and kindness doesn’t preclude honest feedback where you’re taking people’s money. Influencers are running a business by making themselves and their followers the product.

While I’m sure I might inwardly fume, I would ultimately not follow this line of business as I don’t think I have a thick enough skin to take the feedback. I just don’t think you can have your cake and eat it.

It irritates me that it’s usually women doing this as it seems it’s doing a disservice to other businesswomen in responding to honest feedback with a ‘waaah, why can’t everybody be kind’ response and perpetuating the emotional women in business trope. I wouldn’t get away with that in the corporate world. A combination of ‘suck it up buttercup’ and ‘if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen’ applies.

Disillusioned

VIP Member

🙄 Another one phoning it in.
The Guardian style section has lost the fucking plot. That whole piece is a disgrace. Attempting to shoe-horn very expensive, luxe products into ‘relevance’ with Covid-19??! Even if you buy into the bright lipstick as the answer to everything line - not a single non-luxe option.

2E560465-AAB9-4E04-BD35-E4A5A6DEB1E8.jpeg

92E857AD-9E21-4900-8717-2185E099DAD7.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I can’t believe she’s openly being nasty on the internet. I mean, I have no problem with her voicing her reasonable opinion that the article is ‘astonishingly stupid and mad’. I thought that SH was better than that though.

And if she’s shouting about this in the interest of public health, by her own statement last week she’s ‘spending her life grappling for literally anything to feel righteous. It’s truly mental and tragic.’

That’s what she said about some poor citizen who was outraged at her promoting going out for dinner in a group 2 nights running after the country was begged to stay indoors.
The 'mental and tragic' comment was awful - especially to someone reasonably pointing out that what she was doing was encouraging irresponsible and possibly dangerous behaviour.

I still can't quite get my head round her defense of it either - the restaurant posted on SM they were empty, so Sali's group went there. So say they were halfway through the meal and more groups turned up? You would have to be 100% sure this wouldn't happen to take such a risk. And how could you be? It was pure luck and not judgement that they only met 'one other person'. Her defence was absolutely nonsensical.
Plus anyone following her lead and going out to support local businesses might not be quite so lucky.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
But hasn't she already said she has lots of contacts through her charity?
And this is really petty but why Monday? Weekends don't mean a great deal now do they? To a lot of people anyway.

melfish

VIP Member
She's urging people to go to restaurants? Only right-wing wingnuts are doing that here

• Wow
  • Angry

Lemsipmax

Imagine writing a column in the beauty section of a paper and telling readers about red lipstick being handed out during the war. Do you think ANYONE reading hasn't heard that story a thousand times.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Well well how the turn tables.

She's right back on that high horse!
Maybe they are supporting local businesses?
And why is it assumed they are visitors? We know not all Brighton and Hove residents stayed in when advised on Monday.

• Haha

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I can’t believe she’s openly being nasty on the internet. I mean, I have no problem with her voicing her reasonable opinion that the article is ‘astonishingly stupid and mad’. I thought that SH was better than that though.

And if she’s shouting about this in the interest of public health, by her own statement last week she’s ‘spending her life grappling for literally anything to feel righteous. It’s truly mental and tragic.’

That’s what she said about some poor citizen who was outraged at her promoting going out for dinner in a group 2 nights running after the country was begged to stay indoors.

• Heart