Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Artheusa

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I used to follow S for her In the Bathroom series and loved them. Only until the one she had with Rosie Huntington. I watched and being completely unaware of influencer marketing at the time, didn't notice the video was an excuse for pushing Rosie's upcoming makeup line. It was not marked as an ad, there were no disclaimers. After perusing the comment section I did start to notice it was a sneaky product push! Then all of a sudden the comment section got disabled.

Before posting this I got back and checked if they added a disclaimer, and no they didn't, but the comments are back up with all everything intact. No complaints are deleted which I find surprising. Here's one thread with an answer from SH's team which I find particularly annoying. Look how they avoid giving an answer to the real complaint. "They're not in the bathroom, Rosie lives in the US" Oh rly? So typical with these people.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 20

Maeve Marvel

The absolute hypocrisy of Hughes moralising about the effects upon mental health of Internet bullying as the news breaks that Caroline Flack has taken her own life. Hughes was one of the chief mood setters of the bullying ring that targeted Dawn O'Porter. She disgusts me.
Screenshot_20200215-200554.png

• Angry
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
The tone deafness of her taking the high moral ground on this is breathtaking.
She was an online troll and bully for a year - part of the 'coven'. The proof is in these threads.
I hardly think a few people questioning her ethics and writing style compares really does it?
Plus the fact Dawn and Caroline were great friends makes it more icky imo.

melfish

VIP Member
Incredible on two levels. Firstly, the utter hypocrisy. And secondly, the sheer narcissism to make this about her

• Sick

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
This from the book

“Glossy magazines, although I adore them more than most, and their often excellent beauty editors, simply cannot be wholly honest with you about beauty. They are at the mercy of major beauty advertisers, relying on them to keep them in business.”

By that logic....?

• Haha
  • Heart

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
A Twitter pleb asking if anyone remembers their old phone number
SH: Nope.
SH: Not the sort of thing I share online.

A blue ticker asks the same question
SH: Here are my bank details and bra size

• Haha

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
The haircuts are such a good example of why the clarification makes perfect sense. Every time she talks about her #kindlygifted haircuts it is literally an ad for the salon.

CocoCottesmore

Any comments on here re Sali's personal appearance or family have been quickly shot down in general. 99% of comments here have been about a lack of honesty and that terrible guardian article which still somehow persists. There has also been justified criticism of her trolling not only Dawn but her tweets on the appearance of multiple other female celebrities, her getting a female writer sacked so she could take her job, and her clear disdain for the general public. All within a contained site.

Reactions: 19
I think I agree with BBB, having given it all of 10 seconds of thought. If I was an influencer, and got laid £10K by Charlotte Tilbury, I’d rather feel obliged to rave about her make up and say she’s the greatest person in the world. Because she’s basically paid for me to own my house for another year. So basically her makeup might have melted my face off but I’m telling people it’s an essential purchase, ethics be damned. If she ‘only’ sends me a free mascara, I’m gonna feel more inclined to be honest in my review and if I don’t rate it, I might even say so. Though admittedly, if I think Char (because I can probably call her Char at this point) will send me some limited edition bumper palette, or an entire collection of lipsticks in the future, then I might post a favourable ish review of what might have been a mediocre mascara. I do want to know a teensy bit more than #ad. I definitely want to see #ad, though.
I’m obviously not an influencer. Too beef-faced.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Mselvista

VIP Member
It became trolling as soon as she liked a FB photo of someone's children. The motivation for her doing that needed explaining.
So she put up a histrionic nonsensical video hoping that no one would notice that what she said didn't make much sense and that her claims were wildly exaggerated and misleading. And because of the histrionics no one did.

She wasn't moved to call us or the site out until she fucked up. Even though it apparently affected a friend/colleague/employee's health.
Strange the things that move people to cover their own arses.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I haven’t had a chance for a proper catch-up. Some very thought out and well crafted posts here considering you are cave dwelling sides of beef.

I digress, but only to point out a couple of ‘insults’ that WE were called.

If Sali has apologised to Dawn and Esther, good, she should have. She was whipping up a Twitter feeding frenzy, deliberately. Her insults aimed at them were very public, I think her apology should also have been public. Not sure Lauren Luke has been mentioned as getting an apology, perhaps her lack of blue tick status meant she wasn’t worthy. Or perhaps trampling all over someone to get the job you want is considered fair game.

Twitter is a public social media platform used by individuals, companies, etc etc. Tattle is not that. I don’t wander on to many other threads so not sure what the level of vitriol is there, but it hasn’t been seen much on Sali’s threads.

I am not interested in Sali’s family, husband, parents, not in the slightest. I am interested in her shady sales pitches, disingenuous admittance to her tweaks and smidges in articles and posts, her complete inability to take criticism, her complete unwillingness to accept anothers opinion if she doesn’t share it and her shocking double standards, why? Because she is an Instagrammer/Influencer whatever you want to call her. By her own admittance she isn’t a journalist. Her prime objective is to sell to you, not care about you and if you can afford it, that there is the schill.

To sling her saddle onto the back of public discussions about Caroline Flack, trying to gain sympathy, is a disgrace in my opinion. Caroline could have been anyone, her saddle would still be there as once again, it suited her purpose right here, right now.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t know too much about Caroline Flack apart from my Auntie loving her on Strictly. She presented shows I don’t watch so can’t comment on what she did. The loss of her life, any life, in those circumstances is brutal. The press, the media organisations who groom these people and then discard them might one day have someone at the helm with an actual beating heart in their chest who will think twice.

p.s. Apologies for typos/bad grammar, coffee break drive by posting

Last edited:
  • Heart

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
Sali talks about a pointless word... by using pointless words

The word itself – meaningless, infantile, a bit 80s and decidedly naff – is emetic enough without the inefficiency, the pointlessness, the utterly wasted time and opportunity of a procedure that fixes precisely nothing.

• Haha

Aeiouabc

Also, at the end of her video tantrum, she says she's a journalist? She's a beauty writer. She writes about face creams and mascaras. I thought that a journalist broadcasts information in the public interest? There's nothing wrong with being a writer. Why does she need to embellish?
This reminded me and I keep forgetting to post: a friend who works at Radio 4 (I think it was Woman’s Hour at the time) told me MONTHS AGO how SH got angry she was once being introduced as a ‘beauty journalist’ and was insistent she was just ‘journalist’ 😐

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Hard
Gosh I would love to call her out on this but my Twitter is a work account and can't really post things non work related. I even considered starting a new one but if I tweeted her on that would just be dismissed as a troll due to new account/low followers.

What PLANET IS SHE ON. Honestly. I think trolling is awful. And I think some comments on this site go a bit far for my tastes. But I've never seen anything like that on her threads. As we have said many times, it is made up of people who used to like her, support her, buy her books and recommendations.

Does she know the meaning of the word bullied? It's an absolute insult to the people that do actually experience it.

The nerve of even insinuating that she can somehow relate to Caroline. What Caroline has been through in the press recently is on a completely different scale.

I am actually outraged. What has happened to this woman who I used to actually admire?
Hard agree. I used to be such an admirer. GTL member, faithful reader of her work. How she can compare people asking her to be more transparent with her 'honest' beauty writing with CF I just can't fathom. I can't believe she is making this about her, esp after bullying DoP.

• Sad

Curio

Chatty Member
The absolute hypocrisy of Hughes moralising about the effects upon mental health of Internet bullying as the news breaks that Caroline Flack has taken her own life. Hughes was one of the chief mood setters of the bullying ring that targeted Dawn O'Porter. She disgusts me.
Dawn who was Caroline’s friend and one of few to publically stand up for her 💗

• Sad

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
If influencer A got paid 10k for a mention of a new mascara and you just got a free mascara. You both need to put the same thing but the reward is quite different
Very true. But these influencers aren't doing it for the rewards, lipstick taser! They are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, because they are your friend and they just want you to have the benefit of their vast knowledge. #honest

Of course, they could just buy the mascara with their own money. That way, they don't have to label it as an ad. But omg, then they would be in exactly the same position as their beef faced, thick followers. Which is that unless you're given this stuff for free, most of it isn't worth spending your own money on.

• Heart
  • Haha

melfish

VIP Member
Sali does like to compare herself to a film critic, so for argument's sake, imagine a reviewer who only wrote about movies they loved ... Everything else is ignored. No nuanced critiques. Just heaping praise. How helpful - or interesting - would that be?