Sali Hughes #11 A red lip, a pink tight, a leopard boot - how very singular!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m such a skid mark I don’t even hear my plates.
The microwave thing irked me the same way the latest gel polish piece did. How she told people to walk out of places that use the electric file or metal scraper.
these places are usually helmed by immigrants. They’re usually cheaper. When you’re getting press treatments a £40 gel manicuremight not seem like much. But I can get a full set of acylics for less in a shopping centre nail bar. Lots of people like to have nice nails but can’t afford not to go to places that use these tools.
The tone as usual was snippy and snooty.

no idea why that column in particular really annoyed me. Funny what gets under your skin.

Reactions: 6
I’m such a skid mark I don’t even hear my plates.
The microwave thing irked me the same way the latest gel polish piece did. How she told people to walk out of places that use the electric file or metal scraper.
these places are usually helmed by immigrants. They’re usually cheaper. When you’re getting press treatments a £40 gel manicuremight not seem like much. But I can get a full set of acylics for less in a shopping centre nail bar. Lots of people like to have nice nails but can’t afford not to go to places that use these tools.
The tone as usual was snippy and snooty.

no idea why that column in particular really annoyed me. Funny what gets under your skin.
That was the same for me as the comments a couple of times about 'nasty' supermarket perfumes and toiletries. Honestly we all know other perfumes are probably far better. We aren't daft. But I don't think attempts to look after yourself, laughable and nasty they may be, should be judged. If you are on a tight budget it is so bloody easy to let your appearance slide for any number of reasons, MH also playing a part in the spiral. I don't think there should be any judgment or hierarchy on what you can and cannot afford.
I know it is only a word or two here and there but you never want to feel someone is laughing at you for your choices.

Reactions: 9
So I had my nails done pre Christmas as a little treat as I was feeling a bit low - with some nail art no less (tasteful I might add). I don’t normally have them done as I am #blessed with decent nails and usually have a clear or nude on DIY style. Anyway last week (directly) after the Guardian column I went to get them removed and re-done... to my horror the girl had to remove the Gel with a METAL scraper because the other place I went to didn’t use Shellac which doesn’t wreck your nails (apparently) . The nail tech was really patronising and pissed me off because she kept asking me if they were Chinese. I really didn’t want a freakin lecture after reading the column - it was as if SH was in the room.

Also - the irony of the FOD twitter commentary is priceless

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Had Shellac done once at DryBy - Sali's holy grail nail place - absolutely wrecked my nails. I was annoyed as I went in for a normal manicure, but they were pushing how great Shellac was and how they'd last (they didn't)

Foolishly, I went back [this was the last time] for normal nail polish this time, but they were really pushing the Shellac again, despite my refusals

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Oh, you mean the sort of story an actual journalist would write?
Has SH ever (as far as we know) tackled a story about the murkier side of the beauty business?
CH sometimes obliquely refers to things with a 'oh the stories I could tell' kind of vague post.

Has SH ever (as far as we know) tackled a story about the murkier side of the beauty business?
CH sometimes obliquely refers to things with a 'oh the stories I could tell' kind of vague post.
The only one that springs to mind is the article she did on PPD which she said on GTL was cut after being legalled.

Oh, she did a little bit on Rodial on SHB when they brought a range called Cougar or something like that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
wouldn’t that require talent and impartiality? Not her bag, full blown influencer now isn’t she. Latest vanity post proves the point. Not paid etc etc so why tag it all out? ”look at me Pat, buying your lipstick with my own money”

Irony is obviously not in their vocabulary.

wouldn’t that require talent and impartiality? Not her bag, full blown influencer now isn’t she. Latest vanity post proves the point. Not paid etc etc so why tag it all out? ”look at me Pat, buying your lipstick with my own money”

Irony is obviously not in their vocabulary.
And bravely doing a selfie even though she is always 'horrified' by doing one. 100% influencer.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Of course it would be on an issue which affects her (and one which means again that she can obliquely push her free hair courtesy of Josh Wood #doublewin #notanadbutanobligation) 🤣

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.