Sali Hughes #11 A red lip, a pink tight, a leopard boot - how very singular!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sali’s response is so bloody patronising. Not paid for the post and not required by Chanel so it’s not an ad? Give me a break. As IF Sali would have turned up to the event, had her make up done with all the influencers, had her photograph professionally taken, and then skipped off... “see ya!”

It doesn’t work like that. We all know this. She was professionally and morally obliged to do that post and use those hashtags. God, they think they’re so clever but it’s transparent as duck.

Reactions: 22
Sali’s response is so bloody patronising. Not paid for the post and not required by Chanel so it’s not an ad? Give me a break. As IF Sali would have turned up to the event, had her make up done with all the influencers, had her photograph professionally taken, and then skipped off... “see ya!”

It doesn’t work like that. We all know this. She was professionally and morally obliged to do that post and use those hashtags. God, they think they’re so clever but it’s transparent as duck.
Yes. I think it's on page 1 of 'Marketing for beginners' that you give someone something and they feel obliged to give you something in return.

Reactions: 6
I believe Sali that there was no contract or obligation to post, it sounds like it was a press event where they showcase their products.
However, Chanel aren't stupid, they pampered their guests, got them professionally made up and photographed. Of COURSE those pictures will then end up on Instagram, with their "suggested" hashtags, "if you fancy posting about our products".
As a result, Chanel get what looks like a coordinated ad campaign without having to pay them!

• Sad
Reactions: 12
What?! If 7 or 8 film critics all got dolled up by the same make up company and posted identical pictures at the same time with the same hashtags it would be bizarre. And what do film critics have to do with it? They would then critique the film directly after. And they can't just choose not to critique the film because they don't like it.

I'm confusing myself trying to comment on this. Not more conflating!
It's the most nonsensical analogy. It works on zero levels

Hilarious how Sali tried to make it sound like an intimate makeover, when it was a production line

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Eh? Now I really am confused. (- someone cleverer than me can get quotes from IG). Someone asked her to explain her film premiere analogy and said Chanel weren't doing it just for kindness to which SH replies (something like) - 'neither are premieres. They are promotional too'. But isn't that exactly what we have all been saying? Isn't a promotion another word for an ad?

Reactions: 7
And has been said, critics don't rock up on the red carpet. Maybe because it might appear to compromise their integrity? 🤔

She mentions being under zero obligation to post. Come on! Like Chanel would agree to that, or invite any of them back if that were the case.

Eh? Now I really am confused. (- someone cleverer than me can get quotes from IG). Someone asked her to explain her film premiere analogy and said Chanel weren't doing it just for kindness to which SH replies (something like) - 'neither are premieres. They are promotional too'. But isn't that exactly what we have all been saying? Isn't a promotion another word for an ad?
I think she's deliberately being confusing. She brought up the premiere thing!

Reactions: 1
The analogy doesn't make any sense because a film critic's job isn't getting dressed up and made-up to go to film premieres. It's to write reviews. A better analogy would be if a film critic was gifted stuff by a film director or studio and then wrote a rave review adding they'd been given some lovely stuff but that they weren't paid nor obliged to write a review nor told what to say. In which case we would have every right to think it an ad or a paid promotion or whatever and we wouldn't rely on their review all that much. And actually wouldn't they have to declare it to their editor or whatever? It just wouldn't happen, surely.
She's either not too bright or deliberately obfuscating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I really like Chanel Make Up. There I’ve said it... Vitalumiere is one of my all time favourite foundations and their eyeshadow sticks are much better than BB (in my opinion) . I am devastated by this ‘campaign’ and the revelation about COCO!! That wasn’t in the woke kids book I bought for my little girl (me) for Christmas ... View attachment 74461
I reluctantantly dislike chanel, they are like apple in that the packaging design and aesthetics are so pleasing with the perfect proportions *sigh* I want another brand to care as much about timeless looking packaging

Is it just me or is the onslaught of people capitalising on (and often whitewashing) 'feminist icons' getting tedious? It's making money off someone else's battles, rather than writing contemporary manifestos or making contemporary feminist art? Frida Kahlo would not be down with this tit, Coco probably would be tho

Was Sali being coy over the Make Up Forever foundation? Was that the one. I know KJH was talking about it as if it was the next best thing, but I can't remember Sali announcing it as she normally would
KJH has been using a lot of Make Up Forever products on her IG tutorials the past few days.

Ooooh what are they? 🤣🤣
All I’m getting from Tattle (apart from genuine insight and laughs of course) is RSI in my hand 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
KJB has used MakeUpForever for months on end but (as a regular viewer ) her stories are now very repetitive and dull.

She should start making up models .

Reactions: 2
As we've said upthread, influencers do seem to be under the impression that it's only payment in cash that counts as 'reward' and thereby distinguishes an ad from not an ad.
I guess cash is what they are mostly pursuing, perks comes 2nd or 3rd, not as highly valued?

KJB has used MakeUpForever for months on end but (as a regular viewer ) her stories are now very repetitive and dull.

She should start making up models .
Yeah Harrymakesitup does other faces on her YouTube Channel. It’s interesting... see also Lisa Eldridge.

Reactions: 1
I reluctantantly dislike chanel, they are like apple in that the packaging design and aesthetics are so pleasing with the perfect proportions *sigh* I want another brand to care as much about timeless looking packaging

Is it just me or is the onslaught of people capitalising on (and often whitewashing) 'feminist icons' getting tedious? It's making money off someone else's battles, rather than writing contemporary manifestos or making contemporary feminist art? Frida Kahlo would not be down with this tit, Coco probably would be tho
It’s quite a good way to get your kids to engage with cultural and historically influential figures ... my little girl is 6 and she’s loved reading these books and it means we start talking about ‘wokeness’ (sorry my brain is done) and issues at a level that’s appropriate and engaging ... but I totally get your point :)

It’s quite a good way to get your kids to engage with cultural and historically influential figures ... my little girl is 6 and she’s loved reading these books and it means we start talking about ‘wokeness’ (sorry my brain is done) and issues at a level that’s appropriate and engaging ... but I totally get your point :)
Apologies for going OT but I agree with those books being a good starting point for discussing tricky issues with kids. My daughter is 6 too and we had a talk about consent and how some people hurt others (very broadly, not going into actual rape) after reading the Maya Angelou book. The Coco one was a present and has gone to the charity shop now though.

I really like Chanel Make Up. There I’ve said it... Vitalumiere is one of my all time favourite foundations and their eyeshadow sticks are much better than BB (in my opinion) . I am devastated by this ‘campaign’ and the revelation about COCO!! That wasn’t in the woke kids book I bought for my little girl (me) for Christmas ... View attachment 74461
They look so pretty facing outwards on a book display shelf don’t they lol

Last edited:
I'm not knocking the children's books specifically, more the Hilary & Chelsea Clinton style books getting rich off the backs of a lot of poorer women. Just feels like all the energy is going to jumping on an existing bandwagon rather than some energy also into contemporary issues and women who are doing things atm, but I articulating it badly
Always here for ways to teach children about consent - are there equivalent books targeted for little boys too? Need to bring one out for the boomer men, maybe the Enid Bylton knock off style ones "Five learn how not to duck up consent"

• Heart
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.