Sali Hughes #11 A red lip, a pink tight, a leopard boot - how very singular!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The ones I've found that are good are:

The studio 10 double ended one (it is expensive at £22 but you sort of get two) depending on your skin tone, the one with the caucasian light skin tone on the other end is great for correcting pink inner lid) https://studio10beauty.com/collections/eyes/products/i-lift-longwear-liner. Studio 10 is a range specially formulated for older skin.

Urban Decay 24/7 liner - lots of colours including a few different browns - some matte, some metallic. Costs about £16.

Of the two, the studio 10 stays put better I think.
Honestly I’ve used so many but Poundland one is great!

Reactions: 2
Particularly given this, I don't understand how SH can wear - and itemise - the same Bobbi Brown make up in two posts but label one an ad and one not an ad.
Good point. It does seem to be splitting hairs to the finest degree - I would seriously have thought that ANY post mentioning the brand when you are part of an ongoing campaign for that brand must constitute an ad. The last sentence in that ASA sort of says as much - 'future ads will no longer be 'hidden' behind a purportedly authentic endorsement'.

Reactions: 11
....I would seriously have thought that ANY post mentioning the brand when you are part of an ongoing campaign for that brand must constitute an ad...'.
That's got to be right, hasn't it?

I think it could even be argued that once an influencer has had a commercial relationship with a brand, any mention of that brand's products thereafter would be considered an ad. The influencer has received payment and possibly other perks and established a relationship with the brand - how can that not give that brand's products an advantage over other brands' products?

I think it could even be argued that once an influencer has had a commercial relationship with a brand, any mention of that brand's products thereafter would be considered an ad...
...or at least there should be an acknowledgement of a previous commercial relationship (which you do sometimes see).

...or at least there should be an acknowledgement of a previous commercial relationship (which you do sometimes see).

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Why else would Chanel lay on a big, expensive shoot for influencers if not to get them to promote the brand?? Did they just do it for the lols? Out of the goodness of their hearts?

• Haha
Of course! Chanel must be mortified. They're also #soshy. Pretty much a charity....like Make A Wish but for influencers.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Of course! Chanel must be mortified. They're also #soshy. Pretty much a charity....like Make A Wish but for influencers.
The struggle is real for these influencers. They deserve a bit of no-strings Chanel Rankin shoot now and again. Poor things.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Sali’s film critic analogy is specious. If a film critic reviewed a film but was then revealed to be on the payroll of the film production company, then they would lose their reputation as an impartial critic & probably their job if they are on a newspaper’s payroll. Why is it any different with beauty products? Why is Sali allowed to have her ‘honest/impartial’ journo status AND be bought by brands as an influencer. It’s so hypocritical.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Oh god her answer is just 🤪
So if it’s optional whether or not all these influencers post the photos from the shoot they travelled to and bothered to sit in makeup and wardrobe, then posed in front of the camera for then why did they all do it? 🤦‍♀️ I think we know why don’t we? Seriously Sali, duck right off.

if the brand involved controls the timing of the post and content (is how it looks) then it is an ad

From ASA:
However when the brand has control over the content of the post and rewards the influencer with a payment, free gift, or other perk, the post becomes an ad. If the commercial intent isn't clear from the overall context of the communication, it should be labelled as an ad so as not to break the ASA’s rules and mislead the influencer's audience.

and:

The manner in which influencer relationships are maintained varies. I’ve found that some brands retain complete control over social media posts. They'll write them, supply images and schedule a time for them to appear. Others take a more hands-off approach: they'll get a general assurance from the influencer that his or her comments about the product will be positive, but leave the content, timings and format completely up to the influencer. In each case, where we've established the brand has paid for and exercised effective control over the influencer endorsement and the commercial intent isn't clear from the overall context of the communication, we tend to stay firm and secure assurances that future ads will no longer be “hidden” behind a purportedly authentic endorsement.

The fact that the promotions went up together (I see about 12 from that day) and that the hashtags are the same is evidence that the brand had control over the timing and the content.

The shoot itself, samples, etc is the physical 'payment', whereas the content is also 'intellectual property' and can be also considered 'payment.
Someone should tell Sali on IG. She’s blissfully ignorant, obviously.

• Haha
Ooh @HowardMoon have you been a VIP long? I'm not very observant.

{{{Btw don't tell all the others about all the special perks we get ;)}}}

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Have any of you noticed the foundation that they were all claiming to be the next best thing since sex has suddenly stopped being mentioned? The influencers did the teasing for ages and now.....not interested.

Reactions: 3
AFAIK film critics don't traditionally get dolled up and go to premières to review the film as this would be totally bogus. They go to an advance screening a few weeks before the film comes out.

Reactions: 6
Sali’s film critic analogy is specious. If a film critic reviewed a film but was then revealed to be on the payroll of the film production company, then they would lose their reputation as an impartial critic & probably their job if they are on a newspaper’s payroll. Why is it any different with beauty products? Why is Sali allowed to have her ‘honest/impartial’ journo status AND be bought by brands as an influencer. It’s so hypocritical.
This is why I love this thread. Not because of the hateful trolls that Sali seems to imagine frequent it but because people are switched on and insightful

Reactions: 14
Have any of you noticed the foundation that they were all claiming to be the next best thing since sex has suddenly stopped being mentioned? The influencers did the teasing for ages and now.....not interested.
Was Sali being coy over the Make Up Forever foundation? Was that the one. I know KJH was talking about it as if it was the next best thing, but I can't remember Sali announcing it as she normally would

Reactions: 2
Not quite the same is it though? If a film critic turned up IN a film then that would be an endorsement and possibly an ad.
Is it only an ad if you get paid? (Genuinely curious - I'm not sure).

(Whoever Dollyheavens is I hope they realise they are probably now a troll from you know where).

The nearest analogy I can think of is if a load of restaurant critics were all invited and turned up at a very high end London eatery to view a new menu or dining room. Given champagne and photographed and photos put on IG. This is definitely promoting the new venture - but is it an ad? I'm genuinely a bit confused now.
I’m the same @Jelly Bean . To advertise does not necessarily mean paid.
As an example...(btw do not mean to sound condescending here)

‘she advertised the fact she loved sausages‘ ie ‘she told everyone she knew she liked sausages’

stupid analogy but hope it makes sense!?

Reactions: 5
AFAIK film critics don't traditionally get dolled up and go to premières to review the film as this would be totally bogus. They go to an advance screening a few weeks before the film comes out.
So true. Typical influencer Sali can only think of the glitz and glamour of film premieres (even though she would hate having to walk the red carpet but would protest it’s part of the job :rolleyes:), not the reality of what a job entails. Or even that you can turn these things down...

Reactions: 3
Was Sali being coy over the Make Up Forever foundation? Was that the one. I know KJH was talking about it as if it was the next best thing, but I can't remember Sali announcing it as she normally would
I wonder if the penny is dropping they can’t get away with pushing sub par products anymore... the silence is deafening.

Reactions: 1
I'm not sure. I'm blocked from her and don't try to look! I thought someone said here she was being all coy about something but I may be wrong.

On the subject of KJH - am a bit bored of her now. I enjoyed learning some new techniques and she's certainly more talented and warm than SH. But the relationships with Make Up Forever, Elemis and Glossier... yeah. Relegating her to the Instabot shelf.

I really like Chanel Make Up. There I’ve said it... Vitalumiere is one of my all time favourite foundations and their eyeshadow sticks are much better than BB (in my opinion) . I am devastated by this ‘campaign’ and the revelation about COCO!! That wasn’t in the woke kids book I bought for my little girl (me) for Christmas ... E1E0191E-C0DF-4F1E-A373-CE705B35D897.jpeg

• Sad
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.