Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Ruby chocolate

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while. Her latest post beggers belief. I did email the company and they made her delete it:

This is their reply

Thank you for your message.

We agree this is disappointing and were made aware of this today, following which immediate action was taken.

The influencer concerned has been liaising with our agency and has now removed her sponsored post. We understand that she used Pregnacare Pre-Conception and was really pleased with it.

However, it's important to us and our customers that influencers, whether sponsored or appearing organically, are really benefitting from the product at the time of posting, so thank you for drawing this to our attention.

Reactions: 21

Ghosttalk4

Chatty Member
I honestly couldn't base my entire 'career' on such a trivial, materialistic, shallow, consumeristic way of life. Just trying to persuade people to buy endless amounts of tat they really don't need and base your happiness on endless piles of free clothes, overpriced bedding and arranging flowers for the rest of your life.

How can anyone feel genuinely fulfilled and satisfied with that?

She's about to start raising a daughter. Why wouldn't you want to set the example of putting that law degree to good use, to be a strong independent woman who doesn't need to rely on a man and his income (and then brag about it on twitter to put other women down), to contribute something to society besides such damaging, trivial materialistic crap.

What an empty, shallow existence.

Reactions: 20

swipeup

VIP Member
This could be used as a case study in how not to live your life on the internet. There's been complete naivety in not understanding that when you post intimate details of your life online for 85k strangers to read, they're going to have an opinion on it and when negativity and opposing views are not allowed on your own platform, then eventually people will seek out other corners of the Internet like this site to discuss it with like minded people. For too long, these influencers have coasted along, thinking they have an adoring bunch of followers who lap up everything they put out there. But now the penny has finally dropped that, surprise surprise, not all of your followers actually like or respect you or are positively invested in your life.

I've said it before on here, but when they try to control the narrative by deleting and blocking and shutting down discussion, it's a very slippery slope and one which, as is the case here, can only end badly. Rebecca has shared details of her life that would have been better kept private but it's all out there now and she can't take it back even with some vague legal threatening and blog post deletions. If she has any sense, she will change her business model and fine, if she still wants to work with brands on her ads, carry on (within the ASA and CMA guidelines of course!) but the over sharing of her and her family's lives would be best ended, especially with a baby on the way.

Live your life of luxury holidays, renovations and decorating, baking and flower arranging but if you're going to continue to document it all for the world to see and want to monetise your life, then accept the consequences. Don't want the consequences, then stop posting and live your life in private. It is actually possible to be an influencer and still do the brand work and ads while carefully controlling what private information you're putting out there. And if you want an account to document your life to family and friends, Instagram conveniently offers a private account setting.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

JessaP

I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been following RVK for years but the scales didn't fall from my eyes until I saw how rapidly she and her husband completed their house renovation. We bought a house in Hertfordshire at the same time she bought hers, and we're still doing it up! I was genuinely baffled how she managed to kit it all out in top end finishings. Whilst we've scraped pennies to buy IKEA furniture 😂😆. Fair play that brands want to gift her things but wouldn't you want to be open about it from the get go? It shouldn't take ASA or CMA standards to prompt you into doing the ethical thing.

Just my thoughts. But what would I know I'm only an Asian? Innit.

• Haha
Reactions: 19

#borednow

I’ve never been deceitful with declaring ads. I was featured on the ASA list over a year ago for 2 reasons, one was that I put a front story page saying ‘this contains affiliate links’ when it should have been labelled on each story. And the second was for writing ‘I’m proud to work with Not on the High Street’ on my blog instead and stating ‘this is a sponsored post’. Not because I was trying to pretend it wasn’t an ad. But this is such a new industry that even the ASA are trying to keep up with the changes and everyone is learning as we go. I welcome their guidance as the rules are often updating.
You’ve been deceitful right here!

On 16 May 2018, I received the following response from the ASA:

ASA complaint about Rebecca Kedgley

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority with your complaint about Rebecca Kedgley’s advertising.

Based on the information you provided, we consider that Rebecca Kedgley not labelling her ads to be misleading. We think that the issue can be quickly resolved if Rebecca Kedgley is willing to make changes. Therefore, we have contacted her and asked her to clearly label her ads in the future.

I reported you because every few days you used to post a stream of either clothing or homewares with affiliate links on Instagram stories and you NEVER disclosed the affiliate marketing. On this particular occasion it was for something like fifteen sundresses with a rug thrown in for good measure, all with undisclosed affiliate links.

The income you received from affiliate links on your Instagram business account must have been enormous. I’ve noticed you no longer helpfully share streams of affiliated merchandise, just the odd poorly disclosed item (white disclosure on a white background anyone?) so you must be committed to your business account appearing as a personal account. This is just as deceitful, and quite frankly shoddy, as all the undisclosed advertising.

And stop with all the ‘new industry, very confusing rules’ nonsense. It’s boring. It took me three clicks to find the ASA rules online last year. The CMA rules you currently don’t adhere to are equally as easy to find and follow.

Reactions: 18

Skewbedu

VIP Member
The more I think about her long post on here the more I worry about her. She suggests we lead boring mundane lives because we're on a forum gossiping. So I've thought about my life in comparison to hers...

She wafts around her immaculate house and fannies about on her laptop for a couple of hours a day. I, on the other hand have a house where sometimes, if I'm very lucky, my pillowcases match my duvet cover. If they don't match it's because I'm finally in my perfect career and giving it everything I can so I can progress. My career brings me joy. My pillowcases? Not so much.

She always has a nice photo of a vase of flowers sat on her kitchen island. I too often have flowers in a vase, sometimes they are still fresh, sometimes brown and shrivelled because I'm too busy out with my family and dog squeezing every bit of fun out of their childhood I can. Mostly I forget to take pictures of this as I'm too busy having the fun.

She travels the globe and watches Netflix in far flung hotels she hasnt paid for and takes pictures of her feet in aff linked sandals. I spend my holidays alongside my average working man husband and non Instagrammed children sat over dinners where we laugh and talk iong into the night, putting the world to rights. Other nights I hang out with real friends I've known since childhood, who have seen my mismatched pillows and forgiven me for wearing non aff linked crocs in the past.

Hmmm... Sorry Rebecca I think I'm quite happy with my life as it is. I am even successful enough to buy my own Easter eggs.

Reactions: 17

Yel

Chatty Member
This has to rank as some of the worst infuencer behaviour ever. Promotes a suppliment brand even though she hasn't taken it but thinks as it's cheaper than what she actually takes it might be better for her plebian followers. Then tries to turn it around that shes just promoting the concept of taking suppliments. The whole point the brand paid her is to build their brand, else you might as well take something generic own brand that's 95% cheaper.

Then comes on to moan that people asked reasonable questions and takes zero responsibility for a business Instagram account. Probably gets more in freebies alone then the average person makes in a year along with lots of cold hard cash.

Reactions: 17

Ghosttalk4

Chatty Member
I find in truly unbelievable that she has come on here and said the only one of her tweets she could considers shocking was the Adele one?!

So using your online space to publicly body shame new mums bodies, mocking the way women look in the airport, bragging and belittling a woman because you assume your husband earns far more than hers, mocking phone calls from Asian people, saying babies ruin your life, criticism over babies looking too gender neutral for your liking and publicly bad mouthing your own cousin and boyfriend for having tattoos... you still consider them to be ok??

And they were not posted that long ago. Many of these tweets were posted whilst cashing in on her blog and Instagram, painting a whimsical picture of herself as the humble house wife to push product placement.

You were old enough to be on your second home, be married and be making a profit from flashing freebies around on your Instagram but not old enough to be held accountable for saying such degrading and damaging things online.

You can't play the 'people take Instagram too seriously' card when you heavily profit from it. It is a business; advertising disguised as just a humble Instagram account.

Maybe people feel particularly riled that you make a significant profit from dirty advertising that is based entirely on making people feel like they are less significant unless the have all the things that you were sent for free and often haven't disclose. And whenever anyone has tried to call you out on it or simply question it, you delete their comments forcing them to a place like Tattle.

I wouldn't consider that the same as...

'Lady.. my husband earns more in one year than your husband probably has in the past ten from the sounds of it'

'Eugh the thought of being pregnant (in the future) is even less appealing after seeing the 'bodies after bump' photos.'

'Lol at flying from Stansted, spot the fake tan #essexcountry'

'What is it with children looking so gender neutral these days? That's twice this month I've called a girl a boy at work...'

'Babies more or less ruin/change your life. Way too selfish for another 8 years at least.'

'My cousin and her boyfriend need to take a look at the article they're nightmares
Covered in tattoos & piercings, always in a hat,no social skills & would rather sit at home playing Xbox than get a job'

'Put my car on autotrader today and the strange Asians calls have started pouring. One saying 'innit' throughout'

Reactions: 15

pinkrobot

VIP Member
Just waded through that interminable blog post. What a self-indulgent and passive aggressive piece. It’s the classic influencer ‘just unfollow if you don’t like’ response without any acknowledgment that she is ridiculously privileged and perhaps, just perhaps her rosy-tinted Insta perfect life does not make people feel very good about their own lives.
Highly amused at her remark about lawyers that get tickets for Wimbledon wouldn’t turn them down. In the real world which sadly Rebecca has no experience of there are very strict rules governing acceptance of gifts/corporate hospitality from clients and often such invitations have to be declined. In addition (I am a lawyer but this is true of most jobs), workload/filing deadlines take priority and often you cannot leave the office. Perhaps if Rebecca had ever practised law (after her degree) she might have discovered this.
Also she has career as an influencer, can plan detailed itineraries for her endless exotic holidays but can’t think how she could pass on a buggy to a deserving and struggling family. I mean seriously?! How hard is it to contact a local church or local charity or refuge. It would be better not have to addressed the point at all than write an idiotic statement like that.

Reactions: 14

fmmac

It's not a creative outlet though, it's your business.

I also find it quite laughable that you assume people posting here are deeply unhappy because it's the weekend (the presumption being they should have something better to do?) 1. You've posted what might be the lengthiest post on this website at the weekend. Does the same logic not apply to you? 2. You were watching Netflix in the Maldives... THAT makes me unhappy 😂 what a waste.

At the end of the day YOU put all the information out there. You wrote about how you met your husband. You can't throw your dummy out of the pram because people don't agree with your whimsical, fairytale, rose-tinted view of the world.

Reactions: 14

Ghosttalk4

Chatty Member
IMG_3185.jpg

Bloody hell, who did this 😂😂😂

It looks like there are quite a few people out there who have had enough of her. She might have to actually put in a full days work today, deleting all these comments 😱

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13

pinkrobot

VIP Member
Her stories... didn’t have time..!!!! To make her Mumma a birthday cake. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK! Fancying around taking peony photos must take it out of ya eh??? Jaysus woman. Get a GRIP!!!🤬
Even more bizarre when you think of the range of Betty Crocker cake mixes available.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

swipeup

VIP Member
She's almost at Meldrum levels of just pretending everything's normal, wittering on about her wisteria and early nights and just conveniently ignoring the fact that she's had an entire paid ad campaign wiped off her grid today. Nope nothing to see here folks, drama....what drama? Just an ordinary day, everything's still rosy at RVK HQ. I tell you between this #vitamingate and Meldrum, the influencer bubble is well and truly bursting.

Reactions: 12

Ghosttalk4

Chatty Member
Exactly this. None of them seem like the title influencer but they like advertiser even less because they want to believe they are doing something for the greater good, hence the wanky “content creator”. They are happy to reel in the punters but they don’t want to be associated with the dirty business of actually selling stuff.
100%
Describing yourself as an influencer means it is literally your job to influence us into wanting the items you are being paid (in cash or freebies) to promote. Whether that's a holiday, clothes, cars, or even paint for a nursery.

I definately consider influencers to be dirty advertising because Instagram accounts like RVK are posed to appear like just the humble girl next doors personal account, when actually it's a profiting business pushing products at us every day in a way that many find damaging and sneaky.

You open a magazine and know you are looking at an advert. Many, many people simply do not realise that these accounts are profiting adverts but rather a wonderfully perfect life filled with all these items that you 'need' to spend your cash on to also achieve the perfect life.
'How come everyone has... and I work all day and I don't' - because they were all sent it for free so it's slipped into everyday life to make you feel like you're the one missing out.

It is so damaging and just isn't reality. And by RVK blaming the companies for this approach to almost subliminal advertising, she really isn't taking any responsibility. As without her pushing the products constantly and slipping them into her grid and pretending it's real life, companies wouldn't be able to advertise in this way.

And it seems like even more of a con when you discover her tweets. At the same time she was building her Instagram persona of a sweet homely girl next door to allow her to push products without people realising (the most successful advert is when you don't even know it was an advert), she was really tweeting such awful, vile things about people.
Suddenly it all seems like smoke and mirrors; all just a filtered, fake marketing ploy based on product placement and greed and disguised as real life.

If it was real life you wouldn't need to spend hours getting the perfect shot to make it look like real life 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
Generally sensible not to advertise to the internetz when you're going to be out of the house for periods of time.

Although I can hear the dialogue between the burglars now
- Right, what did you find?
- I got a 'Live. Love. Laugh' in a frame. And this set of mini dishes in rose gold
- Shite! What about you?
- 100 yoga poses on a canvas bag

• Haha

rockyroad

I think she sums up 'influence privilege' better than most, and why so many of them are so unrelatable. The thing that gets me with the whole industry isn't just the ads, freebies etc which are shadily referenced. It's the complete lack of self awareness of how their perfectionism make others feel. I had crippling ante-natal depression in my 2nd pregnancy. It was as much as I could do to eat back to back white toast with strawberry jam to quell nausea, drag myself in to work, worry about getting sacked because my performance was so bad because I was so ill, come home, be engaging with my 2 year old, do washing, evening meal etc and then go back to bed wishing to die or miscarry overnight so that I could be released from the misery that the pg hormones had put me in. I find all the 'perfect pregnancy' stuff from all influencers hugely triggering and it gives me such rage. Because do you know what? Despite the shittest pregnancy ever, where I only managed folic acid 50% of the time and a 3 month block of amnesia (I literally have no memories of about about 12 weeks of my life - I do have photos still which surprise me that we went and did things), I had a perfectly healthy baby who is now 4 and racing ahead. Obviously NHS style pregnancy advice is useful as a guide and people shouldn't drink/smoke etc and try and eat well. Maybe organise themselves with some equipment etc, but this perfecting is AWFUL for people's mental health, if she'd have been on when I was PG it would have destroyed me.

• Sad
Reactions: 11

Ghosttalk4

Chatty Member
"How would I find or choose a disadvantaged family to give a Bugaboo to? That would be incredibly patronising and unrealistic."... so we just kept it all for ourselves.

You have enough money to take a once in a life time trip every other month and fanny around all day with expensive bed sheets and flowers and call it work. But god forbid you actually had to try and do something for someone else.

In what capacity could offering your free pram to a needy charity or woman's shelter or donating some of the money you were happy to spend on one be considered patronising when a) you were offered several prams and b) you were literally sat there with the money waiting to buy it anyway.

And no, "huge perk to my job but there are perks to all jobs" is just not true at all and just highlights how incredibly detached you really are from reality.

There are thousands stuck on zero hours contracts or working 60 hour weeks on minimum wage to try and scrape enough together to support their family with absolutely no perks at all.

I find incredibly 'patronising and unrealistic' that she expects those people to happily sit and watch her fill her house with freebies she can afford when she gloates on twitter about how much her husband earns compared to others.

Last edited:

Ghosttalk4

Chatty Member
She is insufferable. Sulking because she got a little backlash and pretending it's happening to other people, not her.

So many people she follows are 'having to defend themselves and their lives to critics'? No, no Rebecca that was you having to defend your contradictory ad a few hours earlier and you couldn't hack even the politest feedback so you threw your teddy out the #gifted pram.

You only have to defend yourself because you've made this your job, being paid from the content you put out there. You have to realise that you can be held accountable for your content when it offends people.

As for wanting to put yourself in a private bubble, I honestly wish you would. Absolutely no one asked you to share every intimate detail of your life, trying to conceive, meeting your husband while still at school, your parents having issues with alcohol, your obscene amount of holiday and where you live. You share all this all over the web and expect absolutely everyone agree and can't handle it when they don't.

Call it a day before your daughter arrives. Do something for more productive with your time and learn about privacy and online safety.

• Heart