Ruth Crilly - A Model Recommends

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was a beautifully finished, extraordinarily expensive white elephant in the end wasn’t it? She had no clue at all how to furnish or style it, despite it being a good sized, square room. It was added to replace a badly done 70’s/80’s(?) extension. They didn’t need the extra room but it was done to update the property and make it more appealing to the market, I think. They don’t scrimp on their renovations.
No she didn’t need the extra room. I’d have lived in there if it was mine. Big squashy sofas and armchairs , massive rug and lamps for low level lighting.

Yes they do splash the cash , clearly money is no object. I’m looking forward to seeing what they’ve done to the 70’s ski chalet.

Reactions: 5
No she didn’t need the extra room. I’d have lived in there if it was mine. Big squashy sofas and armchairs , massive rug and lamps for low level lighting.

Yes they do splash the cash , clearly money is no object. I’m looking forward to seeing what they’ve done to the 70’s ski chalet.
They splash the cash but have dreadful taste, I remember the entirely brown first renovation 🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 8
They splash the cash but have dreadful taste, I remember the entirely brown first renovation 🤢
They have some amazing individual pieces, they buy beautiful quality mid century & 1970’s furniture and lighting by incredible makers but somehow the final ‘look’ just doesn’t work. Like you say, it just looks drab and brown 😕

FWIW, mid century isn’t my thing at all but I can appreciate the beauty and finish of a well made item from any era.

Reactions: 9
Hello albion, we love moseying around Ruth’s houses , welcome. Where did you get those pictures and plans from?
Hi Lyra,

The information is all published on the local councils planning page.

New extension appears identical to the previous one, they even included photos of it to illustrate what this one will look like.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Hi Lyra,

The information is all published on the local councils planning page.

New extension appears identical to the previous one, they even included photos of it to illustrate what this one will look like.
Thanks, I found it after reading your post. I do love those all glass rooms, it’ll look great on that style house.

Reactions: 4
What is it with Ruth and glass extensions? This is going to be her third one. Will she move again after this one's finished? Maybe she has this secret plan of moving from house to house and giving each one an architectural update as part of her plans of world domination or something. Seriously though, I would hate it if my house was in constant reconstruction.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Anybody catch her reel where she shows the wallpaper done behind the radiators, one wall done in each room because they've chosen retro radiators to be installed in each room and wanted to get wallpaper behind each one before installation 🙄. Also her telling of her 'accidental' wearing of a thong swimsuit while gardening at the same time as the tree surgeon trimming a tree in the garden. Sure Ruth it was the only thing you could wear while gardening 👍😉.

• Haha
  • Wow
Anybody catch her reel where she shows the wallpaper done behind the radiators, one wall done in each room because they've chosen retro radiators to be installed in each room and wanted to get wallpaper behind each one before installation 🙄. Also her telling of her 'accidental' wearing of a thong swimsuit while gardening at the same time as the tree surgeon trimming a tree in the garden. Sure Ruth it was the only thing you could wear while gardening 👍😉.
I missed that but who the duck gardens in a swimming costume, let alone a thong one?! She mustn’t have anything pointy or thorny in her garden. It must’ve been the ‘lightest’ gardening session ever.

• Haha
  • Wow
Ruth tries so hard to be funny and it makes me cringe. That story can be put in the 'never happened' pile

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Interesting that Ruth said there was a big demand for that type of house during lockdown and it was a good time to sell - but then she sold it to Caroline in what I think was a private sale? Don't think the house was ever listed on property sites etc was it? You'd think if demand was high and it was a good time to sell, then she'd want to encourage multiple bids to get the best price possible. Maybe Caroline made her an offer she couldn't refuse. She did say she only saw herself staying in that house for another 5 years anyway, as the location wasn't ideal, which makes you wonder why she bought it in the first place!

• Wow
Reactions: 10
It's fascinating how she keeps renovating and then selling afterwards. Why bother going to all that effort?

I wonder is she bored

It's fascinating how she keeps renovating and then selling afterwards. Why bother going to all that effort?

I wonder is she bored
I think she's the type of person who always needs a new project. Once something is finished, she can't just enjoy it, she has to move straight onto the next. At least that's how it seems to me. I think she's said they're staying put in this place, though. In any case, she has her holiday rental to distract her now!

Reactions: 6
Interesting that Ruth said there was a big demand for that type of house during lockdown and it was a good time to sell - but then she sold it to Caroline in what I think was a private sale? Don't think the house was ever listed on property sites etc was it? You'd think if demand was high and it was a good time to sell, then she'd want to encourage multiple bids to get the best price possible. Maybe Caroline made her an offer she couldn't refuse. She did say she only saw herself staying in that house for another 5 years anyway, as the location wasn't ideal, which makes you wonder why she bought it in the first place!
Bought it to flip and make money.

Reactions: 3
Bought it to flip and make money.
Though it was in beautiful condition really and recently done by the previous owners. That lean to bit out the back was the only area that needed attention. It wasn’t a doer upper. They sold their Essex house and spent time living in their friends’ vacant period house in Somerset, Bath area, I think, whilst they decided what to buy next. That’s how they ended up in that area. I think they liked the period feel of their friends’ house and thought they’d buy a big ‘forever home’ type place with with a similar feel. When they were in her friend’s house she said she was surprised how much she liked the features (I think the house was early Victorian) but when push comes to shove, they just really love mid-century design. Big old houses, even renovated ones, have their quirks (cold, draughty, noisy windows, often a bit leaky) and you have to really LOVE them to put up with the idiosyncrasies. They didn’t. It was clear in how they furnished the house that the period features were a hindrance to their style. Their heart is with MCM not Regency architecture and design. Plus, the other house is on the outskirts of a village, near a big concrete quarry, this new one is in a much better position, so that helps too.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.