Ruth Crilly - A Model Recommends

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why buy the Georgian house at all then? I think she seemed to love the Georgian. She’s a bit scattered a lot of the time anyways but all the stuff she bought for it suggested to me that she loved it. The wisteria alone 😍

Reactions: 7
I didn't follow her when they lived there but did read she'd described it as being a 1970's place they renovated on stilts near a river. I don't know where the Georgian place was but new place is only 15 mins drive from the centre of Bath.
In theory, but Bath is horrendous for access into and out of the place... 15 minutes would be if you were travelling in the middle of the night!! I speak from experience with children at school her side of Bath and us living on the other side 😱

Reactions: 5
Why buy the Georgian house at all then? I think she seemed to love the Georgian. She’s a bit scattered a lot of the time anyways but all the stuff she bought for it suggested to me that she loved it. The wisteria alone 😍
If I remember, they sold their Essex place with nowhere to move on to and ended up renting somewhere in Bath from a friend temporarily. I wonder if they bought the Georgian house in haste because of the status attached to it?

Maybe they thought they would love it but living in it proved, that the period of house just wasn't for them. We sold an Edwardian house which I loved and bought a 17th century stone farmhouse in an idyllic setting. It never felt quite right, even after we had done lots of renovations. We stayed for ten years but I now know that oak beams and creaking floors are not my cup of tea. I never really settled there. I do miss warming my bum on the Aga though.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I think it can be a “the grass looks always greener on the other side” kind of situation.
Where - maybe influenced by social media or popular books/shows about English history (didn’t she write her master thesis on Wolf Hall?) - she thought she wanted to live in an older home.
And then it turned out to not be what you imagined it to be in day to day life.

plus I think she loves renovating/building extensions/... which I would love too, if I had the means and money and time

Reactions: 9
I don’t really get the thought process there - ‘this is the perfect house but at the same time we will have to move soon’. And in the meantime spend tens of thousands on renovating a house we won’t live in for very long? 🤔
Don’t forget to factor in the stamp duty payable on houses this value- it’s pretty substantial!

• Wow
Reactions: 8

This was their house before the Somerset move , I love it.
It’s fabulous!!

In theory, but Bath is horrendous for access into and out of the place... 15 minutes would be if you were travelling in the middle of the night!! I speak from experience with children at school her side of Bath and us living on the other side 😱
I was wondering if they’d maybe moved nearer to better schools. I’ve only visited Bath and totally adore it but you’d obviously have a much better idea of schools in the area!

Reactions: 1
If I remember, they sold their Essex place with nowhere to move on to and ended up renting somewhere in Bath from a friend temporarily. I wonder if they bought the Georgian house in haste because of the status attached to it?
She said at the time that the perfect house had come up for sale, but they missed out on it and rather than take time to wait for something else they decided to upsticks to Bath to stay in a friend's house. I'm sure she said they couldn't afford to turn down the offer for their Essex house.

Reactions: 4

This was their house before the Somerset move , I love it.
Wow, love that house. Quite clear their true passion is mid century modern :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I wondered if her eldest was going to a private school now (well post lock down ) and move may have been influenced by that. I don’t knwo what house she has now I couldn’t figure out if it was up a hill or west of a hill or none of the above 😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: 2
It’s fabulous!!

I was wondering if they’d maybe moved nearer to better schools. I’ve only visited Bath and totally adore it but you’d obviously have a much better idea of schools in the area!
A number of good public schools in Bath and that area generally. If the children are being privately educated there is ample choice. Kids come from all over to school in Bath from Bristol and West Wiltshire.

I wondered if her eldest was going to a private school now (well post lock down ) and move may have been influenced by that. I don’t knwo what house she has now I couldn’t figure out if it was up a hill or west of a hill or none of the above 😆😆
Think of members of the clergy - Vicar, Curate, Rector, Bishop, Dean etc and what they might call their house. It's not an old house, certainly not built at the same time as the local church.

I think I finally figured it out so I hope this helps: it’s between the village pub (wheat*) and The Old Rectory on a bit of a hill (the house name is not Uphill though!) overlooking the valley (you can see the top of the village church in one of her insta pics). It has a big balcony on the upper floor

I’d love them to do Grand Designs, though I guess you tend to do a project from scratch for that? I do like their style and it would be funny to watch them trying to keep Mr AMR out of every shot 😂

• Haha
I wasn't fussed on Ducketts house, I remember her getting the bathroom tiled and thought what on earth is that, then suddenly those tiles are everywhere and they grew on me. I'm not into trends and prefer classic timeless blah stuff but now I really like mid century and its all Ruth Crillys fault.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I wasn't fussed on Ducketts house, I remember her getting the bathroom tiled and thought what on earth is that, then suddenly those tiles are everywhere and they grew on me. I'm not into trends and prefer classic timeless blah stuff but now I really like mid century and its all Ruth Crillys fault.
Do you mean subway tiles? I loathe those things, I think they're going to look really dated in a few years. I also prefer classic things. I grew up with mid-century furnishings; fortunately my parents had extremely good taste and bought the best - I was lucky enough to inherit some classic designer pieces. I reckon Ruth would love some of my pieces.

I think I finally figured it out so I hope this helps: it’s between the village pub (wheat*) and The Old Rectory on a bit of a hill (the house name is not Uphill though!) overlooking the valley (you can see the top of the village church in one of her insta pics). It has a big balcony on the upper floor
You’ve got it! 👏 👏 👏

• Haha
Do you mean subway tiles? I loathe those things, I think they're going to look really dated in a few years. I also prefer classic things. I grew up with mid-century furnishings; fortunately my parents had extremely good taste and bought the best - I was lucky enough to inherit some classic designer pieces. I reckon Ruth would love some of my pieces.
Yes the subway tiles, I also would be afraid of them dating but in that property they won't.
This is so weird, I was just thinking why I liked it and like you I grew up with them and I hated them then. We lived in a property like Ruth's last house, that's why I don't see the appeal and can totally understand this move. We had a mixture of antique furniture and 70s electrical appliances etc. I suppose because they made things to last then and my parents were not particularly bothered by style. I longed to be like my friends with modern 80s 90s stuff. But now I get it. I bet Ruth would love to see what you have.

Yes the subway tiles, I also would be afraid of them dating but in that property they won't.
This is so weird, I was just thinking why I liked it and like you I grew up with them and I hated them then. We lived in a property like Ruth's last house, that's why I don't see the appeal and can totally understand this move. We had a mixture of antique furniture and 70s electrical appliances etc. I suppose because they made things to last then and my parents were not particularly bothered by style. I longed to be like my friends with modern 80s 90s stuff. But now I get it. I bet Ruth would love to see what you have.
I bet she would ... but I wouldn't sell any of it. We did sell some stuff to a dealer because neither me, my brother or sister had houses big enough for it all - broke my heart! I sometimes wonder where it ended up and hope whoever has it is enjoying it.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.