Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thing is, when she finishes uni, a lot of these companies won't want to work with her anymore because she won't be relevant because she wont be studying.
Yes, just like Jack Edwards is experiencing now. If you aren't perpetually a student, you aren't going to get the same demographics of audience that you did as a first year Fresher. If you can't develop your content as your own life changes, and try to cling to the student demographic you profited so much from, you'll just alienate yourself.

Reactions: 9
Yes, just like Jack Edwards is experiencing now. If you aren't perpetually a student, you aren't going to get the same demographics of audience that you did as a first year Fresher. If you can't develop your content as your own life changes, and try to cling to the student demographic you profited so much from, you'll just alienate yourself.
Yes his channel is tanking now, and you can see the desperation, bless him!

Yes his channel is tanking now, and you can see the desperation, bless him!
Bet he's seething in a corner thinking: "If they'd accepted me into Oxford, I'd be doing so much better now!" I wonder if Ruby thinks the same - if she'd gone to Oxford, her videos would have been more aesthetic.

Reactions: 2
Bet he's seething in a corner thinking: "If they'd accepted me into Oxford, I'd be doing so much better now!" I wonder if Ruby thinks the same - if she'd gone to Oxford, her videos would have been more aesthetic.
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was doing chores (lol i need think about other things it seems)... I can imagine if she got in she would really push the dark academia aesthetic by walking around in boaters and pigtails, wearing a leather satchel and doing study with me videos in the Oxford libraries with a candle. I like a bit of that vibe but I can imagine her going a bit theatrical with it. I do feel for her that her dream didn’t happen though. I wonder how she feels about Eve being there, and I bet Ruby would probably know friends from her school there too.

Reactions: 3
I wonder how she feels about Eve being there, and I bet Ruby would probably know friends from her school there too.
I honestly think Oxford would have crushed Ruby. I know a few Oxbridge grads and the ones who tended to do well in that system were undoubtedly clever but also very, very confident. The people who were a bit more fragile, or who needed a bit more pastoral support really seemed to struggle.

I also think she didn’t get much advice applying (or didn’t listen to it). There are huge differences in acceptance rates across subjects and colleges. English is always massively oversubscribed and the more Hogwart’s type colleges tend to get loads of applications too - I don’t know where she applied to but I’m guessing the aesthetic was a top consideration. If she’d applied to do Theology at a less popular college she would have stood a better chance of getting in, if Oxford or bust was the main goal.

Reactions: 7
I think Ruby would have struggled massively at Oxford.

I do like her but she completely overworks herself and always seems to give herself extra work to do unnecessarily. She doesn't know when to stop sometimes and I think it's unhealthy studying for that long and so often.

There is nothing wrong with passion but she takes to the extreme.

They get a lot of work at Oxford but it is manageable (I know this because I have two family members who studied there) and I just don't think Ruby would handle it well.

Plus, I feel like she likes to be seen as super intelligent and I reckon it would have burst her ego that she is not as clever as some people or a similar level to herself.

Obviously I feel sad for her as it was dream, there is nothing stopping her for applying for her masters there.

However, if Ruby us quick to question her professor, I'd assume she's not one to listen to constructive criticism or advice. I don't think she'd be very favourable to professors at Oxford either if she was like that too.

They'd probably pick up on it as well.

Reactions: 5
Plus, I feel like she likes to be seen as super intelligent and I reckon it would have burst her ego that she is not as clever as some people or a similar level to herself.
This 100%, someone in my year who went to Cambridge (since graduated) was top of our year all the time but it was a big fish in a small pond situation so when they got to Cambridge and were surrounded by people just as smart (and smarter!) it absolutely knocked them for six, first year was a huge adjustment for them bc they'd always been hyped up by our school for being sooo smart (which they are) but at Oxbridge everyone is super smart and you have to really work to be #1, and I think Ruby would've had a similar crisis had she got in

• Heart
Things is, whilst oxford is very competitive to get in to, they select candidates on more than just intellectual ability , ruby seems to struggle with critical theory and if her lecturer was already saying her thesis didn’t really add up, oxford already know the potential of students

Reactions: 5
I would imagine that Ruby is a quantity over quality kind of student - writing about every facet of every relevant area to an essay title (to show how much she's read), only for the essay to have no coherent line of reasoning or depth of inquiry.

Only last year she commented on being 2000 or so words over a word limit. At that point, it would be easier to scrap that essay completely and write a new one, rather than attempt to cut it down. If you cull so much from an essay like that, the stuff you leave in will be very brief, and essentially a list of unrelated points. She made it sound like she did it for fun, but it's neither productive (when are you going to use the content of that particular essay again?) nor helpful for training yourself to be concise and clear. Also, the marker isn't going to know that your original draft was 3000 words, so it's not going to impress them. I wonder if it's a tactic to boast to her peers and make them feel more inadequate?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I can imagine ruby staying in academia, maybe trying for a masters at Oxford. Then becoming and academic and lecturer. Either that, or a teacher at her old school.

Reactions: 1
OT but what do you mean? Epitome and epitomise are two separate words and are pronounced differently

It depends what kind of job they go into. I’ve got some friends in the city paying something mad like £150 a month so that on top of income tax (they’re in top bracket) is a huge chunk. Maybe they would have been better having their parents pay it off 😂

Re her career after I think she’ll do an MA and then maybe go into publishing? It’s incredibly hard to be a full time author and even though she has a following I don’t know how far that would guarantee success- her writing needs to be good.

Has anyone read her book/s? How’s her writing?
Oooh it autocorrected. I was trying to say I pronounced epitome as epi-tome (rhymes with home) when it's meant to be epitomie (rhymes with gastronomy).

Reactions: 6
I can imagine ruby staying in academia, maybe trying for a masters at Oxford. Then becoming and academic and lecturer. Either that, or a teacher at her old school.
I could see her doing an MA in something like Children’s Literature and then going into publishing or editorial work - she reads a lot of YA and juvenile literature so she might as well embrace that and study it too. I can’t see her enjoying a PGCE beyond the study aspects, and I don’t think she’d like classroom practice at all. As for an academic career, you need a massively thick skin to go down that route as it’s endlessly competitive. Lots of MA and PhD students think they will have an academic career but the reality is very different!

Reactions: 4
I could see her doing an MA in something like Children’s Literature and then going into publishing or editorial work - she reads a lot of YA and juvenile literature so she might as well embrace that and study it too. I can’t see her enjoying a PGCE beyond the study aspects, and I don’t think she’d like classroom practice at all. As for an academic career, you need a massively thick skin to go down that route as it’s endlessly competitive. Lots of MA and PhD students think they will have an academic career but the reality is very different!
I agree. She really couldn't manage in a classroom as the constant scrutiny would push her over the edge.

I completely agree with the big fish, small pond thing. I had a friend who went to a grammar school, aced everything and then to Oxford where she failed her first year in economics. Couldn't handle having to research topics herself or organise her workload as the grammar school pretty much spoon-fed them, plus she got a shock when she had peers who were better than her and weren't afraid to show it.
I think Ruby has spent most of her life being told how wonderful she is (which is nice, in a way), but is ill-prepared for the competitive world.

• Heart
I agree. She really couldn't manage in a classroom as the constant scrutiny would push her over the edge.
I couldn't imagine her managing a classroom of kids either if they were anything like the kids I went to school with

Reactions: 4
I couldn't imagine her managing a classroom of kids either if they were anything like the kids I went to school with
She would never, having to work worth other people too, I assume she’ll start up some kind of extra business herself on top of the planners she currently sells

I had completely forgotten about this cottage she bought! Has she mentioned it again? I wonder if she's renting it? Do we know how much it cost her?

I'm actually quite curious to know how well she's doing with money. She's been making videos for a long time and she gets pretty constant views + sponsors here and there. I wonder if her sister gets a bit jealous of that... I always wonder how the relationship is between them, they are polar opposites.

Ahh no way! I’m doing American Studies (well taking a year out because I can’t go abroad this year) 😭 what did you study? I’ve no idea why Ruby is doing 2 30 credit modules,I couldn’t cope only doing 2!
omg thats my course AND uni 😭

EDIT: Im a graduate now tho, I don't understand how she does so much work for her classes ... perhaps I was a lazy student, but I don't remember doing as much as her.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
I had completely forgotten about this cottage she bought! Has she mentioned it again? I wonder if she's renting it? Do we know how much it cost her?

I'm actually quite curious to know how well she's doing with money. She's been making videos for a long time and she gets pretty constant views + sponsors here and there. I wonder if her sister gets a bit jealous of that... I always wonder how the relationship is between them, they are polar opposites.
As far as I remember the cottage hasn’t been mentioned again. I would expect it is probably being rented as she always films from her parents’ home and seems to live there full time at the moment.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.