Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I personally don't see Ruby ever getting a "normal job"

I reckon she'll probably go for her Master's and PHD before wanting to write full time.

Ruby doesn't strike me as the type to want to work with people and would rather be on her own.

Reactions: 7
I won't say the name but I think it begins with a P

View attachment 309748
I couldn't even imagine my parents spending this much on my education :oops:
Wow, I literally had no idea private schools were that expensive jesus christ. It just seems insane to pay that much money to get something that you could literally have for free 🤣 do her parents pay her uni fees as well?

Reactions: 2
Wow, I literally had no idea private schools were that expensive jesus christ. It just seems insane to pay that much money to get something that you could literally have for free 🤣 do her parents pay her uni fees as well?
She's probably got a student loan for tuition and pays for her own living costs with YouTube money that's topped up by her parents.

Probably, I know a few private school kids who’s parents have just paid up front as they’re used to doing it.
It’s actually not as expensive as some of the ones I also know of. It’s like a mid tier senior prices (which seems bonkers)

She's probably got a student loan for tuition and pays for her own living costs with YouTube money that's topped up by her parents.
Nah that makes no sense, loans suck the interest on them is appalling. 9k is a massive step down from what they paid for her school each year, if they can afford it now then I reckon they pay it, coz getting a loan is a massive waste of money in the long run

Reactions: 5
Nah that makes no sense, loans suck the interest on them is appalling. 9k is a massive step down from what they paid for her school each year, if they can afford it now then I reckon they pay it, coz getting a loan is a massive waste of money in the long run
It makes next to no sense to pay the 9k though when the chances of anyone paying that back (or anything close to it) is next to 0. My cousins went/go to private school and still get tuition loans and so do most of their friends because of that.

Probably, I know a few private school kids who’s parents have just paid up front as they’re used to doing it.
It’s actually not as expensive as some of the ones I also know of. It’s like a mid tier senior prices (which seems bonkers)
Ikr, I’ve just been googling ‘most expensive private schools’ and I’m absolutely floored.

Reactions: 1
Honestly my pronunciation of stuff is tit too. I found out at the ripe old age of 24 that epitome isn't pronounced epi-tome but epitomise 🤦🏻‍♀️
OT but what do you mean? Epitome and epitomise are two separate words and are pronounced differently

It makes next to no sense to pay the 9k though when the chances of anyone paying that back (or anything close to it) is next to 0. My cousins went/go to private school and still get tuition loans and so do most of their friends because of that.
It depends what kind of job they go into. I’ve got some friends in the city paying something mad like £150 a month so that on top of income tax (they’re in top bracket) is a huge chunk. Maybe they would have been better having their parents pay it off 😂

Re her career after I think she’ll do an MA and then maybe go into publishing? It’s incredibly hard to be a full time author and even though she has a following I don’t know how far that would guarantee success- her writing needs to be good.

Has anyone read her book/s? How’s her writing?

Reactions: 1
Wonder what Ruby would be like if she went to a state comprehensive like the majority of us did
I reckon she would’ve probably been in with the popular girls at school and I reckon now she’d be working as a receptionist, drive a fiat 500 and possibly have a kid on the way. Shes such a product of her environment

• Haha
Reactions: 7
OT but what do you mean? Epitome and epitomise are two separate words and are pronounced differently

It depends what kind of job they go into. I’ve got some friends in the city paying something mad like £150 a month so that on top of income tax (they’re in top bracket) is a huge chunk. Maybe they would have been better having their parents pay it off 😂

Re her career after I think she’ll do an MA and then maybe go into publishing? It’s incredibly hard to be a full time author and even though she has a following I don’t know how far that would guarantee success- her writing needs to be good.

I haven’t read her book/s? but remember that the general consent on here (and GG) was that her writing was quite shocking for someone not only studying English but also the amount she seems to read in general.

I do think however she could be somewhat successful due to her audience. She’ll just need this to get picked up by a publisher and then they’ll do most of the marketing. She won’t win any literary prizes though...

I haven’t read her book/s? but remember that the general consent on here (and GG) was that her writing was quite shocking for someone not only studying English but also the amount she seems to read in general.

I do think however she could be somewhat successful due to her audience. She’ll just need this to get picked up by a publisher and then they’ll do most of the marketing. She won’t win any literary prizes though...
The reviews aren't great if you read them.

I think some people have stated that she used words that weren't fitting for a young girl. Like the way she describes things for example.

The impression I get from Ruby is, she uses bigger words to sound clever and to impress people with her academic abilities.

Reactions: 4

I tried reading the preview of her one about the bullying to my boyfriend as a bedtime story for a laugh and we literally couldn’t get through it, like I’m dyslexic and make mistakes all the time so I’m not one to talk, but the writing was like it was written by a 12 year old.
The grammar was bad, there was spelling mistakes, the plot made no sense at all and it was just full of these really long descriptions of stuff (like for example an entire page literally just describing the weather all full of similes and whatnot). Also it was like reading a thesaurus, too many complicated ‘intelligent sounding’ words just thrown all over the place, used completely wrong and it made it confusing to read.
Plus the main character was actually horrible, she basically just looked down on everyone and thought everyone at her school was stupid etc. weird book, I’d defo recommend reading the preview, although apparently she actually edited it a few months ago and changed a bunch of stuff so I’m not sure it’ll be the same as it originally was when I read it

Reactions: 6
I think she might get picked up by a grad scheme because of her reputation as a productive princess with plummy tones

Reactions: 3
I read the Erimentha novel out of curiosity and it’s not *that* bad, it’s just quite odd. There’s a saying that first novels are usually autobiographical (and also that fist novels shouldn’t be published) and I felt that was the case here. The main character is oddly precocious and it read very much like an older teenager doing a bit of wish-fulfilment and writing themselves into the eleven-year old they wanted to be. Strange parents in the book too, again I don’t know if this was autobiographical or again, wish fulfilment. Lots of material for a therapist! I honestly didn’t see the main character as horrible, it read more to me like a book about a character who may or may not be somewhere on the Aspie spectrum.

I feel quite sorry for Ruby, actually. She’s obviously been massively affected by the bullying she suffered and I think that explains a lot. Her attachment to her school and her school days almost feels a bit Stockholm-syndromy given how unhappy she seems to have been at points in her education. It’s not hard to see why she’s a bit reluctant to leave that part of her life behind given what she feels she’s missed out on.

Reactions: 9
She makes a lot of money through sponsorship and ads at the moment doesn't she? Especially educational content, revision content and things like that. I think she was promoting something for A levels and GCSEs a little while ago, even though she's three years into her uni experience.

Thing is, when she finishes uni, a lot of these companies won't want to work with her anymore because she won't be relevant because she wont be studying. I think she'll definitely do a masters, but after that she'll have to get a 'real job'. Her writing, from the small snippet I read (like the poster above) was just...really bad. The reviews weren't good either, and yeah she has an audience atm that will probably buy anything she writes but that won't last forever

Also just wondering is it normal for authors to edit books after they've been release and change things? That doesn't seem very professional to me? I don't work in publishing or know anything about it but I read a lot and I personally wouldn't buy from an author I knew changed the story up after it had been released.

Wonder what Ruby would be like if she went to a state comprehensive like the majority of us did
Ha indeed. I went to an inner city comprehensive in a deprived area, and I was the goody two shoes of the class though not as much as Ruby appears to be though, and I grew out of it. Once I actually ran out of class crying because it was coming up to exam time and the teacher was trying for 20 mins to get the class to behave and stop messing about and I just snapped because we weren’t learning. To be honest most of my learning happened at home, as homework, as catch up because most of each class (1 hour) was spent by the teachers telling people off. It was terrible, I was bullied, and Ruby would have no chance coping with it. Sometimes I wish I grew up in a rich family and went to a nice school but it really isn’t the reality for the majority of us.

I hope Ruby does find her way and works on her anxieties. I think she imprisons herself with productivity because she doesn’t know how to relate to the outside world. I can’t see her coping in a call centre like I did after uni - it was a big smack in the face of reality for me, for how the world actually can be after education.

I wish her well but I do think she needs to get out of her comfort zone a little.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.