Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Publishing a book (and not self-publishing) is a long old road. A friend of mine has had a literary agent for over 2 years but is yet to find a publisher for her YA novel. She has been shortlisted in literary competitions too, so it shows that success in some areas doesn't guarantee it overall.
it’s a lot easier to get published as a successful YouTuber. Just look at Zoella and all her “friends” who had crappy “books” published in the blink of an eye. I think publishers are very interested in working with those who already have an established fan base, that guarantees a certain number of sales. Plus she can pitch her planner sales to them to show she’s been successful in a similar area in the past.

Reactions: 9
I think she uses go pro to vlogband I wish she would switch to a normal camera, that lens is giving me motion sickness.

Tbh I don’t like her, I think she overly romanticizes being middle class too much and its just not very appealing and a bit cringe to watch.

Plus she blocked me for asking if she voted brexit on her insta live

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Tbh I don’t like her, I think she overly romanticizes being middle class too much and its just not very appealing and a bit cringe to watch.

She definitely buys into the whole ‘dark academia’ aesthetic a bit too much without acknowledging that it’s problematic, especially since she is very obviously established middle class

Reactions: 10
She definitely buys into the whole ‘dark academia’ aesthetic a bit too much without acknowledging that it’s problematic, especially since she is very obviously established middle class
What even is this whole dark academia thing? she’s talked about it before but only when she puts a few pictures on her wall

Reactions: 3
It's an aesthetic that came from the initial idea of romanticising learning and education and visually it heavily leans into the elements of old boarding schools, old established universities and stemmed from books and films like Dead Poets Society, The Secret History, Maurice etc. It tends to be Eurocentric and admire certain subjects (Classics, English Literature etc.)/school types (Etonesque boarding schools, Oxford, Cambridge etc.)/habits (being passionate about your subject, dressing in certain fashions) so people claim it can be exclusive of non-white non-middle class fans.

If people take the aesthetic as a list of rules on how to be academic the correct way, then yes, I guess it can be exclusive as the mainstream dark academica vibe still leans into the 'early 20th Century boarding school/Oxbridge visuals. I just like it as a collection of things/subjects I enjoy so don't care much for the "rules" of it (and not a part of its community online) but I guess young fans can be discouraged by it if they follow dark academia blogs and feel like they don't fit in.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I don’t mind that sort of thing but I think its really odd how ruby has made it her entire personality, like every aspect of her lifestyle seems to be based off it and to me its just really strange to watch. I’m really surprised she hasn’t grown out of it yet, although tbf she comes across a lot less judgemental and superior than she used to

I think she uses go pro to vlogband I wish she would switch to a normal camera, that lens is giving me motion sickness.
She does? Is the gopro footage in every vlog? Not trying to discredit you, just curious cuz I genuinely can't tell the difference.
She has more than enough money for a canon g7x (which seems to be most youtubers' vlog camera of choice). It seems really strange that she'd opt for a go pro instead. It's not like she's going skiing or bungee jumping.

Reactions: 1
She does? Is the gopro footage in every vlog? Not trying to discredit you, just curious cuz I genuinely can't tell the difference.
She has more than enough money for a canon g7x (which seems to be most youtubers' vlog camera of choice). It seems really strange that she'd opt for a go pro instead. It's not like she's going skiing or bungee jumping.
I don't think it's every shot, no. Most of the vlogs are with her regular camera but especially when she's filming herself I believe she sometimes switches to that and it throws me off. I doubt it's a feature of the regular camera and I remember her mentioning her gopro so that's what I assumed with which she was alternating.

Ruby wouldn't have been old enough to vote in the EU referendum, as she only would have been about 16 years old in 2016, and you had to be 18 years old to vote in the referendum. Maybe her family voted Brexit though, so she didn't want to address it.

Ruby wouldn't have been old enough to vote in the EU referendum, as she only would have been about 16 years old in 2016, and you had to be 18 years old to vote in the referendum. Maybe her family voted Brexit though, so she didn't want to address it.
It's easy to be 'non-political' when you are benefitting hugely from the current system.

Reactions: 5
Damnn I didn’t realize that, makes it even weirder she blocked me off her live then

975FEE97-F360-4185-8F1C-A74BDABBFDDB.png

writing gifted so small you can barely see it is so irritating, check your privilege Ruby and be grateful to the company gifting you items. Be transparent and stop trying to hide it. twit!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
View attachment 267982
writing gifted so small you can barely see it is so irritating, check your privilege Ruby and be grateful to the company gifting you items. Be transparent and stop trying to hide it. twit!
Jesus Christ she looks like a mourning Victorian widow.
I understand the look she’s often trying to achieve, but she really doesn’t pull it off successfully

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I've really liked some of the things she's been wearing recently, but only individually because the way she pairs items together just looks...weird and frumpy I guess. She'll put a shapeless top with shapeless trousers or clash fabrics and patterns. I know exactly what style she's trying to achieve and it would really suit her buuutttt I think she puts too much emphasis on 'old fashioned'.

Pet peeve are her white tights she wears sometimes and those patterned shorts 😅

Out of her outfit highlights on insta, these are probably the outfits I'm least mad at haha and I actually think they suit her really well
1602085744586.png
1602085762689.png
1602085801601.png

Reactions: 8
i've watched marfa's moving vlog and i must say that her bedroom at the uni accommodation looks exactly the same as anna lenks' bedroom! maybe she's also studying at king's? does anyone know which uni marfa goes to?

Regarding her fashion sense, I think she needs to a 'less is more' approach. One statement piece of old-timey clothing like a blouse, with less flamboyant trousers/skirt/hair ribbon etc. would make her style more cohesive and interesting. As it is, she sometimes looks like she was in an explosion at the Miss Patina factory.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
her sister must be staying with unite students, her room looks exactly like my uni room. They are all over the country with basically the same rooms

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.