Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I THINK she abandoned English because it’s what she’d wanted to study at Oxford, and at the time was of the frame of mind that if she couldn’t do English at Oxford, she didn’t want to do it anywhere.

Then the remorse set in.... I’ve wondered why an atheist would ever apply for a theology degree since I started watching her Bit like someone who has horrendous airsickness studying be a pilot...

Reactions: 4
I THINK she abandoned English because it’s what she’d wanted to study at Oxford, and at the time was of the frame of mind that if she couldn’t do English at Oxford, she didn’t want to do it anywhere.

Then the remorse set in.... I’ve wondered why an atheist would ever apply for a theology degree since I started watching her Bit like someone who has horrendous airsickness studying be a pilot...
I’m a theology student who is also and atheist - one of the main reasons for studying it is to understand something even if you don’t believe in it. how can you know you don’t believe in something without being fully knowledgable about it. Also theology encompasses a lot of different areas, whereas English typically leads you down certain limited roads and Ruby doesn’t seem to be as passionate about English

Reactions: 7
When I went on Ruby's latest IG story for a split second I genuinely thought it was a picture of her grandmother.

Reactions: 2
Perfectly understandable to be atheist and study Theology - I did as part of my degree and the majority of others on my course were also non-religious. It's learning about religion, not learning how to be religious!

But yes, I don't see the passion for English either - it's almost as though she likes the idea of being an English student more than the reality.

Reactions: 8
She likes reading which is why she's doing English. I don't feel like she actually likes the analytical aspects of English though, she just wants to read nice stories as escapism.

Reactions: 6
She likes reading which is why she's doing English. I don't feel like she actually likes the analytical aspects of English though, she just wants to read nice stories as escapism.
I agree, I also think it fits with her 'bookworm' aesthetic. When I saw she changed courses, I thought she would actually start doing more content around English literature but she hasn't done much at all on it, and when she talks about books it feels very shallow, she mainly says stuff like "I didn't like this book that much" but doesn't actually explain much about why. Not much in depth thought or critical thinking there. I've never felt she's had a true passion for it.

Reactions: 12
I agree, I also think it fits with her 'bookworm' aesthetic. When I saw she changed courses, I thought she would actually start doing more content around English literature but she hasn't done much at all on it, and when she talks about books it feels very shallow, she mainly says stuff like "I didn't like this book that much" but doesn't actually explain much about why. Not much in depth thought or critical thinking there. I've never felt she's had a true passion for it.
i agree, I think she has always LOVED reading in the same way others LOVE watching tv, for entertainment rather than analysis. I also think she does want to become an author and the more she reads and analyses texts in an english degree the better she will be able to incorporate ideas in her own writing. I do think religious studies would have been interesting to pursue too as deeper study towards becoming an author. I just think about CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien and their incorporation of religion in their books. tbh, you don’t need to study english to be an author, but I think that is partly why Ruby switched

Reactions: 5
Her recent Instagram offerings... it's a big YIKES from me. I keep having to remind myself that this person dressed in a pinafore, sporting plaited pigtails and skipping through fields wearing a boater is 20. I just don't get why she's still so interested in childish things. A friend of mine was a bit like this, but she had gone through some rough stuff during her formative years (age 8 to 15), and so was making up for lost time/interests. I feel like Ruby simply wants time to stand still - she's not really shown any fashion/style development since she started her channel.

I half thought she switched courses because she felt like with RS she didn’t do as well as she wanted so tried english to ensure she graduated with a first (I don’t doubt she’s academic), and part of me though she might have wanted to redo first year to try and make more friends 😂 (I don’t follow her closely so don’t know how many uni pals she’s actually got)

Reactions: 4
I half thought she switched courses because she felt like with RS she didn’t do as well as she wanted so tried english to ensure she graduated with a first (I don’t doubt she’s academic), and part of me though she might have wanted to redo first year to try and make more friends 😂 (I don’t follow her closely so don’t know how many uni pals she’s actually got)
I had a similar thought to this too. I wondered if she just wanted to drag out university for another year as well.

However, I think it's more to do with her being rejected by Oxford. (In my opinion at least) I think she was so certain that she would be attending Oxford that she couldn't see anything past it. That's why she didn't take to study English straight away because she was disheartened, understandably.

I think she's definitely handled it well now and now sees that it's not the end of world that she didn't get a place.

I think it did her good as I feel like she needed to fail in order to grow and learn as a person. Nothing stopping her applying for a master's there however.

Reactions: 5
There's plenty of problematic things about Ruby, her obsession with controlling things (which is what her "organisation" mindset screams to me), the message her older videos (15 day study days for example) send to young viewers and her obsession with productivity all come to mind. But I don't think the criticism of her style of dress is valid. Yes it's vintage inspired and feminine and preppy, but she's clearly grown up in a lot of ways since her earlier videos, and I don't really think it's our place to determine how a 20 year old "should" dress.
Edit: (posted too soon) Criticising an outfit on the grounds it really doesn't suit her, that's one thing, but criticising her personality judging by her clothes is a bit much I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I've just watched her what to bring to uni video, and is she pretending to drink her tea during the end?!
Also, I can't believe how much her looks have changed (for the better) in the past few years.

her two last videos look very well edited and colour corrected, does she have an editor? or is she experimenting with her editing?
i like the change tbh

Reactions: 3
her two last videos look very well edited and colour corrected, does she have an editor? or is she experimenting with her editing?
i like the change tbh
I thought this! They're definitely colour graded, and yes I think she must have an editor (it's just such a sharp improvement). I like the change too

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi All!
I genuinely love Ruby- I think that out of all the StudyTubers she has developed the most and right now seems to be quite sorted and content with some solid friends a great degree. In comparison to jade and jack who seem to not be able to get over oxford, Ruby is doing really well. I really think her prospects are better than them as she’s constantly growing without it trying to be relevant to what’s trendy. She’s drawn away from the Hermione thing and, having met her, she is the nicest most adorable person ever. In her videos, she really owns the Edwardian style and I can understand it not being everyone’s cup of tea but she isnt trying to be qUirKy about it, just expressing her interests, and seems to be doing really well- most importantly moving on from Oxford!!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I agree. I don't know if her heart has truly moved on from Oxford yet, I think she's still carrying a torch for an old college in Oxford but I like that she doesn't let this set her back in any way. After graduating, if she wants a post grad degree at Oxford in her heart, I hope she'll be able to fulfill that dream. I think it will be much better for her mental health if she approaches a Oxford degree with a sound mind and a clear plan. I don't think she would have thrived had she got accepted for her undergrad degree. From all the studytubers who got a rejection from their "dream uni", Ruby is coming off as the most mature one with her progress so far.

Reactions: 9
I found her latest story with the pants very pretty, I find most of her stories cringy but for some reason I actually liked that one

Reactions: 1
Isn’t her sister doing her editing? I’m sure she’s spoken before about Martha doing editing for her!

I think she seems to be more okay about Oxford than such as Jade because she accepted her hurt and disappointment about it - she openly grieved and said about the impact that had on her course change. Jade, on the other hand was almost straight away spouting the standard denial ‘it’s for the best’ etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.