Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did she talk about her application? I might have missed this. You don't usually propose an MA dissertation in your MA application, so she wouldn't have had to bring this up at all. But she might have mentioned some of her literary interests in her personal statement. Has she said her tutor has rejected multiple research questions or is this just pure speculation?
She hasn’t talked about her application, but we took some sneaky screenshots - I don’t think she proposed a dissertation topic in it. She got an essay topic approved on the 5th try last autumn, but I believe that was for a module, not her diss. (Still a bit of a red flag though.) Just to make it clear, when I said she was looking up quotes about ”starting over” in her insta reel, I just threw it out there that I hope it’s not about her diss. It would be really alarming if it was, and I’m sure there’s been enough handholding available for her that that’s not the case. More than likely, it was just a poorly chosen quote.

Reactions: 10
Not to derail, but I just scrolled past this picture of Kate Middleton with her kids and honest to god thought the girl (a literal eight-year-old) was Ruby for a second.

1710077599726.png

• Haha
Reactions: 17
So, after posting on the Pumpkin Productivity Instagram account that showed her at home she's suddenly back at Oxford again and is planning on studying all day as she has a week or so left before her first essay submission. I don't know why but something is telling me that she is posting content from either last week or 2 weeks ago as i'm sure the essay submission would be due during term time and not the week after term has finished because when I was doing both my masters degree and my undergraduate degree all my submissions were due during term time.

Reactions: 13
So, after posting on the Pumpkin Productivity Instagram account that showed her at home she's suddenly back at Oxford again and is planning on studying all day as she has a week or so left before her first essay submission. I don't know why but something is telling me that she is posting content from either last week or 2 weeks ago as i'm sure the essay submission would be due during term time and not the week after term has finished because when I was doing both my masters degree and my undergraduate degree all my submissions were due during term time.
Isn't this Mother's Day in the UK? More than likely she and her family brought her mother to some restaurant in Oxford and she took that opportunity to zip back to her room and take a quick seflie/story to post before heading back home with mummy.

I'm super bored waiting for a video. Anyone know when deadlines usually ease up at Oxford?

Reactions: 1
Grottagecore?
Nominating grottagecore for next thread title! It's too good to skip over.

Ruby Granger #45 Grottagecore
---
There are so many video ideas that would suit her channel that I can think of in Oxford. There are so many Harry Potter and his dark materials filming locations, so many author paths and historical spots for her to visit and film. Winston Churchhill was born, lived, and buried in Oxford. So much truly fascinating and internationally relevent local history in that city and its surrounding hamlets. But no, she's jut gonna run home every chance she gets.
It was the same with Exeter (and less of an excuse because she was there for 3-4 years). It's not as 'dark academia' as Oxford, but I'd have been interested to see the local area rather than the same footage of Ruby with her laptop.

This may be her worst ever outfit
View attachment 2804424
My mind went to Peter Pan:
1710112949747.png
1710113063773.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 22
Very unlikely the deadlines would be in term, and in fact I will basically guarantee they aren't. Many Oxford courses are not assessed by exams, and are assessed by some form of submitted work, whether it be a problem sheet or an essay. This is especially true of masters courses. These are almost always submitted outside of term time, to allow a week or two for students to work on them post-teaching. Sometimes you have a deadline fall in term (the mathematics Part C/OMMS dissertation deadline is a week or two into trinity term) but it's usually early in the term and the expectation is that you've worked on it over the vacation.

But then this is why, very often, masters students are in Oxford a lot outside of term time. I didn't stay myself during my masters year, but this is because there were no physical things keeping me there (and colleges are almost all addicted to kicking undergraduates out). Those friends of mine who had labs all stayed for the full 9 months of the year (barring some time at Christmas/Easter), and those who (like Ruby) needed to look at physical manuscripts woukd stay for a week or two outside of term.

Reactions: 8
She posted on the community part of her YouTube that she has been "taking a break" from YouTube and that she plans to start posting again in 2 weeks when the term finishes.

She posted on the community part of her YouTube that she has been "taking a break" from YouTube and that she plans to start posting again in 2 weeks when the term finishes.
Hilary Term officially finished on Friday, but her essays are due 2 weeks after that so I guess she is waiting until she has submitted these essays before she starts uploading videos again.

Reactions: 3
IMG_5611.jpeg

Ruby with her bullying fetish again 🙄 why on earth would she ‘love this comment so much’?! So much that she made an entire video reply to it which she very rarely does.

She also then goes on to say that she’s been told the blazer she’s wearing looks like a school blazer. If someone said that to me I would never wear it again.

Her obsession with school and bullying is just SO WEIRD.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
There’s just something really icky about her obsession with school and bullying. Not in a sinister way, more like she’s desperately looking for a personality for herself and for some reason thinks being a (self-proclaimed) victim of bullying and not wanting to grow up would somehow make her more interesting as a person. The only thing she’s accomplishing is coming across as fake and insincere.

Reactions: 28
There’s just something really icky about her obsession with school and bullying. Not in a sinister way, more like she’s desperately looking for a personality for herself and for some reason thinks being a (self-proclaimed) victim of bullying and not wanting to grow up would somehow make her more interesting as a person. The only thing she’s accomplishing is coming across as fake and insincere.
The thing is, most people I know who were bullied at school can’t wait to get away from it and certainly don’t live their lives aching to go back to school. I was severely bullied at school, and even now (many, many years later) I physically cannot go to the town where I went to school and the thought of actually going back to that school is the stuff of nightmares. Fortunately I live hundreds of miles away and never would have to go there, but still …

I don’t mean to play bullying Top Trumps and if Ruby was bullied then I feel sorry for her, but she strikes me as being obsessed with school because she was a massive fish in that particular small pond, and by harking back to those days she can feel ‘special’ again. It just doesn’t ring 100% true to me that she was really was badly bullied as 1) I don’t see why her parents didn’t withdraw her and take their cash elsewhere, and 2) I really don’t get why she went back to her old school as a ‘teacher’.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
The thing is, most people I know who were bullied at school can’t wait to get away from it and certainly don’t live their lives aching to go back to school. I was severely bullied at school, and even now (many, many years later) I physically cannot go to the town where I went to school and the thought of actually going back to that school is the stuff of nightmares. Fortunately I live hundreds of miles away and never would have to go there, but still …

I don’t mean to play bullying Top Trumps and if Ruby was bullied then I feel sorry for her, but she strikes me as being obsessed with school because she was a massive fish in that particular small pond, and by harking back to those days she can feel ‘special’ again. It just doesn’t ring 100% true to me that she was really was badly bullied as 1) I don’t see why her parents didn’t withdraw her and take their cash elsewhere, and 2) I really don’t get why she went back to her old school as a ‘teacher’.
Yes, all of this. She really is basically glorifying being bullied, which is such an unhealthy status to be carrying around. People who are bullied don't yearn to be young again and relive the worst years of their life, nor do they return to the area it happened. They certainly would not work there! Ruby thrives on playing the victim, in any situation. She is such a narcissist in that she gladly turns the tables to make every bad situation be another person's fault, or the system, the atmosphere, the expectations, when in reality she has placed them all on herself, willingly. And wears it proudly like a badge on expanding forehead. It's all about her. And always will be. We all know how much she craves playing the "oh poor me" role and receiving pitying remarks from her idiotic followers, who continue to be blind as a bat to her faults. I don't see this as ever changing, but it will wear out. No one really cares if you were bullied or not when you are in your 20's, 30's, 40's. It becomes obvious that it is now a self-pity party. And that is where she is stuck.

Also, just interesting that she has not posted in a long while and announced she won't be for another 2 weeks. She didn't have this situation at Exeter. I will assume she has hit the wall and sinking fast, trying to keep her head above the waters at Oxford and the realization of what this degree incurs. Playing the tourist and focusing on Dark Academia isn't going to get the job done, and it seems like between talks and debates, she is losing her spine. Still, she has only barely scratched the surface of what real life will smack at her. Privileged or not, somethings just don't care and will affect her in ways she cannot even imagine. The tough grind at Oxford is just a scratch in the game of life.

Reactions: 18
I almost think going back to school level bullying comforts her as she can put a finger on why she feels uncomfortable around people. Feeling sad because someone called you a name and pulled your hair as a child is an easy thing to focus on and centre, rather than feeling sad because you don't fit in as an adult for example, which is more overwhelming and all-encompassing.

Reactions: 22
Love how Ruby calls this girl Katie her ‘friend’ and then Katie calls Ruby ‘people’ like she’s just a random fan 🤣🤣🤣
IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5612.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
Yup. Add to that the fact that her tales of bullying went from "I've never been bullied but I'm very interested in the topic" to "I was traumatically bullied and forgot all about it, but suddenly remembered it just as I started to write a fictional book about how I was bullied based on stolen ideas from other books" to "I AWLWHEYS KNYEU OIY'D BEEN BOLLIED!" And her recollection of her bullying experience is suspiciously vague and changes wildly every time she tells it.

Her concept of bullying seems deeply rooted in the world of simplistic middle-grade "mean girl" bullying books, where the main character is usually bullied because they're incredibly smart/kind/a model student, etc. and the bullies are just doing it out of jealousy. I totally believe Ruby latched onto that narrative after reading a few middle grade school bully books, then wrote a "semi-autobiographical" book full of borrowed middle-grade bully clichés to rewrite history for herself and cement the idea that she was a gifted child victimised for her talent and intelligence.

It says a lot that she apparently has years of bullying experience to draw from, yet every instance of bullying in Erimentha Parker was wildly unrealistic, clearly fictional nonsense. It seems like her actual "bullying" experience amounted to people just not wanting to be friends with her and tossing a few mean comments her way because she was a pompous, entitled little brat who went out of her way to be demeaning and belittle her fellow students/sibling - qualities that Ruby really shone a spotlight on with Erimentha because she thought acting that way was something to be proud of.

Reactions: 23
I feel like her obsession with bullying is again connected to her self-infantilization. Bullying is often one of the first external issues that young kids (especially from a well-off family) come by. By the time you're in your twenties more pressing matters arise. Not to say of course that later on the bullying always stops.

A serious MA studet in her twenties, like Ruby, should move past such issues and discover more pressing or current issues. Ruby, however, never discusses cost of living crisis, housing crisis, war in Ukraine or Palestine. Her world is so small, or she is not inquisitive enough to discover other issues outside of the most basic first-world problem.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.