Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In the UK you don’t need to formally study Latin at school in order to do medicine, but there is Latin terminology in medicine that you will use as you progress in your studies later (at university), so it’s certainly not unhelpful!
Yes, I agree. My father is a doctor (retired surgeon) and he learnt Latin in his regular school education, and told me that in Med school, both Latin and ancient Greek were useful but not specifically taught separate to the ongoing classes. A lot of medical terms come from ancient greek apparently. For myself, in my Law degree, we learnt a lot of Latin 'legal maxims'. So while i can say certain Latin phrases and know what they mean, I can not understand Latin grammar etc. Latin can be really useful depending on what you go on to study.

Reactions: 5
Did Ruby's (very much dead) studygram discord server get deleted or would I have been kicked? I noticed it's no longer on my server list and I can't find any trace of it online

Reactions: 2
As I do some casual online window-shopping this morning, it occurs to me again - as it has from time to time in the past - that one of the many (many… many) irritating things about Ruby is that she has so many resources and yet persists in wearing those awful Miss Patina clothes. I know exactly the look she’s going for, and it does exist in the form of… actually good quality clothes too, so I guess what I’m getting at is, she could do it better.

(Isn’t that always the way with Ruby? She could do everything she does, better.)

Even when she has a better quality item, like the Sondeflor pieces, she doesn’t take care of them - they’re sucked into the filthy morass that is her parents’ house, and anything she wears emerges crumpled and stained. So I’m not saying I actually want her to buy from (or perhaps more realistically, grift free stuff from) better brands, especially as it puts me off a brand when they do work with her (rip bird and blend). But still - Ruby, you have so much money, why are you dressing in polyester monstrosities!

(Intentionally refraining from mentioning the good brands in this post because I know she reads Tattle and I don’t want to tip her off on where to look for higher quality equivalents to the tacky rubbish she wears.)

Reactions: 10
Why was one of her aims to submit something to a publisher once a week? Just a surefire way to get a restraining order
Im still catching up so apologies if anyone’s already mentioned this, but if she literally wrote / said “submit something to a publisher” just demonstrates how little she knows about what is apparently her “dream” industry. Anyone who’s even googled UK publishing knows that you NEVER send anything in terms of writing / manuscript etc directly to the publisher, you send things to agents who are open to submissions - I know some smaller publishers do have direct submission slots but they are normally very genre specific or only open to minority groups of writers. Even if she means that she’s asking her agent to submit something each week, her agent needs to have a serious chat with her / isn’t worth their own salt because that’s just not how the industry works! It’s quality over quantity, keep the same thing on submission for a round or two with edits based on feedback but know when to let an idea go and move on, rather than quickly creating so many little, lower quality ideas that are just going to waste everyone’s time… oh wait I just remembered who were talking about 😅

And thank you for coming to my “Ruby really annoys me whenever she talks about books / publishing as someone who works in publishing” Ted talk

Reactions: 15
I think she probably means submitting poems. Once a week would be a reasonable goal for that if she targets different publications and competitions, especially if focusing on small journals (although I’m sure Ruby thinks she would be entirely worthy of publication anywhere!).

Screenshot_20230723_133936_Chrome.jpg

Whoops, Ruby wasn't paying attention when Googling "quotes about siblings" and accidentally reveals she didn't actually read the thing she claims she read, for the 42,948,567th time.

I'm also dying at Ruby's weirdly clinical and ambiguous birthday message to her sister; note that Ruby doesn't actually says anything positive about her sister or their relationship anywhere in this post.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
View attachment 2327534

Whoops, Ruby wasn't paying attention when Googling "quotes about siblings" and accidentally reveals she didn't actually read the thing she claims she read, for the 42,948,567th time.

I'm also dying at Ruby's weirdly clinical and ambiguous birthday message to her sister; note that Ruby doesn't actually says anything positive about her sister or their relationship anywhere in this post.
Even if you read something in 2018, the gender of the main and titular character is a pretty glaring thing to forget...
---
ChatGPT could've easily come up with a warmer birthday message

• Haha
Reactions: 31
View attachment 2327534

She's 100% going to claim she meant Sophocles as 'he' 😂 Her insistence on pretending to be well-read and quoting works she has never touched is baffling.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
View attachment 2327534

Haha yes she basically just says 'I've got a sibling' 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I feel like at this point since everything is so filthy, they should shell out for a professional cleaning company to give them a nice deep clean and then never let it get this bad again.

Someone mentioned that they have multiple houses. I would imagine they're all in a similar state which is kinda horrifying.
why don’t they empty a cleaner? Then they could feel charitable by employing a poor working woman to clean (note this isn’t my own view of cleaners and I wish we could afford one! But you can imagine the Bones’ take here…)

Reactions: 7
View attachment 2327534

That birthday wish would've been a lot more sincere without the half-arsed reference to Antigone. Also, does anyone else find it cringe that the family refer to her as Marfa? 🥴

Reactions: 15
View attachment 2327534

omg literally why does she have to mention that she has read antigone in 2018. no well-read person ever says things like ulysses, which I first read in 2008... she is fooling no one; it only shows how insecure she is about her intellectual and cultural caliber. and she fucks her insipid allusions up every damn time. remember the notorious 1984 incident lol

Reactions: 23
That birthday wish would've been a lot more sincere without the half-arsed reference to Antigone.
"Today is the day I'm told that is dedicated to the sibling that I apparently have. However, let us talk about my accomplishment, which I just made up."

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Everything after "ACTUALLY" or "GENUINELY" I think is a lie.
Also weird that she specifies when she read the play in the post. How is that important or relevant at all? Again with her weird fixation on time/ seasons passing, aging, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
omg literally why does she have to mention that she has read antigone in 2018. no well-read person ever says things like ulysses, which I first read in 2008... she is fooling no one; it only shows how insecure she is about her intellectual and cultural caliber. and she fucks her insipid allusions up every damn time. remember the notorious 1984 incident lol
It’s so odd if her to always add dated or ages to things she has “read”. She could have just said “which I read a while ago and still dip into […]”

Ohh what’s the 1984 incident? I seem to have missed it

Reactions: 13
A bit off topic, but not exactly. Does anyone ever watch Diary of Andrea? She is the Norwegian "friend" that Ruby mentions and has met once irl. Andrea just celebrated her 20th birthday and these were my takeaways from it, in comparison to Ruby.

Andrea is 3 years younger than Ruby, and sometimes that age shows, but overall, she is a lot more mature. She often lives away from home for long periods of time due to schooling and never whines about it. She drives, she paints nicely, has a clean kitchen and home, very neat and tidy, she had a party with about 8 other girls who all looked their age and no one was playing dress up or twirling in fields. She has real friends with a real life. They were dancing to music and acting like normal late teens/early adults, not playing out a scene from Matilda! I also could not help but notice the few sweet gifts she received. Some water paints, which she was thrilled with, being an artist, 2 matching mugs, a pretty plate, and then....a book of A Little Princess. I am pretty sure we know who sent that one. She looked less than thrilled about receiving it, to say the least, and while she showed it, she didn't say anything about it. Especially after her speech about no longer hiding behind being a teenager and time to act like an adult. Sorry, Rubes....not everyone wants to cling to their 8 year old self! I think Andrea wants to embrace her future, not linger in the past, something Ruby could certainly learn a wise lesson from.

Reactions: 22
I also could not help but notice the few sweet gifts she received. Some water paints, which she was thrilled with, being an artist, 2 matching mugs, a pretty plate, and then....a book of A Little Princess. I am pretty sure we know who sent that one.
What point in the video does she show A Little Princess as I have watched the video and didn't see it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.