Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
omg

1. Taking a taxi back and forth to work. Spoiled brat, much?
2 Making the "executive" decision not to go out and have drinks with friends. As if anything would have tempted her to go out and have drinks. lol
3. Demon Copperfield; "I'm sure I've heard of this..." she says with a completely blank look on her face.
4. The dead flowers all over her window space. Just a perfect summary of her life, so far.
5. Why does she keep saying she is sooooo tired? After working twice a week, for a few hours and someone else doing all the driving? wtf?
6. Why.....why? Why is anyone even interested in buying poetry by this idiot? People, please!
7. The continually receding hairline....
8. Beet red face, but wearing a sweatshirt. Yeah, that's using your brains, Rubbish.
9. Constantly talking about how everything went so well and she is on a high. If you have to announce it, you are only trying to convince yourself.
10. "My team. I mean, one other person." That is some team, Rubes!
11. Eating donuts in the pouring rain. Rain? I don't see pouring rain. Am I missing something here? Probably not.
12. Looks at llamas. Llamas look at her. Doesn't pet a single one. Will probably be one of her favourite, most treasured moments of the summer....
13. Gives present to her mother because she was away this week. So you give presents because they went away, because they came back? Huh? lol
14. July plan. And here we are, almost into August. As usual, she is about a month off, or more. Such dedication, devotion, great work ethics. Nope!
15. Girl desperately needs to learn how to do makeup. Get her a few blending brushes.
16. The grandmother lace shawl. omg
17. Seen photos from all of these days, on her Insta, ages ago.
18. Booking for a trip with her best friend. Yeah, we know, Ruby. Your only friend. Already on the trip. More late and useless information.
19. The filthy house. Need I say more?
20. Last scene; tipping over a glass to put a flower in, spilling out half the water. Her brain cells are dying off by the second!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
12. Looks at llamas. Llamas look at her. Doesn't pet a single one. Will probably be one of her favourite, most treasured moments of the summer....
Now I’m not usually a Ruby defender, but those were alpacas, and alpacas do not often like to be touched. Especially by strangers. I doubt she goes often enough or feeds them enough (ever) for them to become familiar and trusting of her. So it’s probably safer to not touch

Reactions: 17
Now I’m not usually a Ruby defender, but those were alpacas, and alpacas do not often like to be touched. Especially by strangers. I doubt she goes often enough or feeds them enough (ever) for them to become familiar and trusting of her. So it’s probably safer to not touch
Yeah I just kind of want her to stay away from all animals on principle. Bad vibes all over.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Learning Latin as
No, because Latin offering is so uneven depending on what type of education you have and within the UK. Most schools do not teach it at all, and the UK education system (at least within humanities) values equal access quite highly, so there are fairly big efforts not to create barriers to people coming from less privileged schooling contexts. Ruby could have had private Latin lessons at any time (even as a teenager), if it was a real interest of hers, but of course many people would not find it quite so easy to access that. It is possible to some extent to combine self teaching and grants / financial assistance for intensive courses.

Some universities offer catch-up courses for things like Latin if you want to learn enough to use it in early modern studies. There is good awareness now of how diverse people’s prior knowledge is (some have a very good training in Latin while others have 0). You can even do a classics degree at Oxford without having studied classics before, it’s just very intense!
Learning Latin as you said is a very private school thing, I went to private school and they offered it and my cousin did a degree in it but he studied it at his private school. Most of my uni friends are confused when I mention latin and classics lessons. Ruby is extremely privileged in that regard.

Reactions: 5
In the new video she mentions a lot that she is behind on tasks, doing something at the very last minute etc... It feels like she's struggling to stay on top of things and it's not a very good look for a productivity youtuber 🤷‍♀️
Behind on what, exactly? It's not like she has an incredibly busy schedule right now. 🤣

Reactions: 6
Just for anyone who is interested, this link explains how people who have not studied classics before can still study it, even at a top university like Oxford:
https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/classics
This is only tangentially relevant to Ruby since she will be studying as a masters student (on one of the English MSt degrees), but it highlights how British universities in general try (nowadays) not to create too many obstacles to entry for students who didn’t go to private school.

There is a lot of inequality in our education system because of private schools (like the one Ruby attended), and it’s very hard to fix that, but there is also an expectation by the public now that universities are not only full of privileged people.

Ruby is kind of an interesting example because she has had so many opportunities but actually not used them very wisely. She could have studied many languages if she had wanted to! Latin or modern languages. Money is no object and she doesn’t have to work a real job. But she chooses not to pursue really educating herself further. As always image is everything for her. I am so curious to see how she will present her Oxford life.

Reactions: 12
Regarding her most recent video, I don't see an issue taking the taxi to and from work? I work nights and I don't drive. Also, I hate walking home in the dark so I book a taxi to pick me up when I finish my shift. I really dont see the issue?

Reactions: 9
Regarding her most recent video, I don't see an issue taking the taxi to and from work? I work nights and I don't drive. Also, I hate walking home in the dark so I book a taxi to pick me up when I finish my shift. I really dont see the issue?
Fair enough, unless taxis are prohibitively expensive where you live (like they would be for me). Also Roobee’s job (such as it was) took place in the middle of the day, not at night. At a very walkable distance, too.

Last edited:
Learning Latin as

Learning Latin as you said is a very private school thing, I went to private school and they offered it and my cousin did a degree in it but he studied it at his private school. Most of my uni friends are confused when I mention latin and classics lessons. Ruby is extremely privileged in that regard.
In France they offer it even in the lamest small secondary school and high school. It's usually the option that almost nobody wanted here, as it was view as boring but I'm still surprised that it seems something more like a "luxury"/private school for you. For us it's just like that weird class with three students.

Fair enough, unless taxis are prohibitively expensive where you live (like they would be for me). Also Roobee’s job (such as it was) took place in the middle of the day, not at night.
Not defending her but I still see no issue if the school is far away and not in walking distance.

There were a lot of things in that video that made me roll my eyes. I'm the same age as her (if not a few months older) and it just makes me laugh.

Also I'm going on another trip to London next month for about four nights. Wonder if I'll run into her.

Reactions: 4
Why does she put her clothes for the next day on the floor :sick:
There was an empty side table right there in the same shot

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Untitle78576676578786554476687454664564754566756435797983459676745747789547d567 - Copy.jpg

Another 'Week in My Life' begins with Ruby practicing her crane kick technique in her huge, barren back yard for some reason.

I guess she entered an under-13s karate tournament?

crane-kick-crane.gif

Mummy must be too hungover and/or lying injured in a flower bed somewhere, because Ruby says she's forced to take a taxi to work. Her shrivelled Tory heart would break if she had to subject herself to riding a bus like a commoner, so she has no choice but to pay to be chauffeured by a stranger.

For context, Ruby's house is barely a 40 minute walk from her work and she is constantly claiming she loves taking hours-long walks several times a day. It's a ten minute bike ride, and in this very video, Ruby claims that cycling is a big hobby of hers (ha!). She doesn't need the money, but the cost of taxis to and from work will completely cancel out whatever she's being paid for 3 hours work every few days. Yet Ruby's constantly putting on her performative poverty hat to pretend that she can't afford things like books or to eat at restaurants. BOT SHE'S SYO VARRY SOSSTAINABOL.

Ruby puts on her fakest, daintiest little child voice to make herself seem young and victimised as she says, "Josst tyo antithipate quasschons, becoss...peepol AWHLWHEYS AHHSK, Oiy'm CORRENTLY on a gap YAA, BOT...Oiy'm WAAHRKING part toiyme in a schwool. OIY CHEESE NWOT TYOO SHAAHR ANNIE MWOAR DETAIL THAN THISSTHOUGH, JOSST FWOR PROIVACY REASONS."

Nahhh. Explaining the nature of her job doesn't impact the privacy of anyone, she just desperately wants people to assume that her job is infinitely more important than it is. And she no longer works in a school. Her contract was from January to end of term in July, she's just fudging the numbers, releasing vlogs filmed weeks ago and talking about it as though she's still there to seem busier than she is.

Untitle7857667657878655676789d567 - Copy.jpg

Work has been and gone and Ruby's back home and SYO VARRY AXWAUSTED. She provides zero detail as to what her working day was like or involved, so this whole thing was a pointless inclusion. The only remotely interesting thing to happen to her is not elaborated upon in any way, yet she still made sure to include a whole section telling us she WAARKS VARRY HARD AND IS VARRY TOIYRD FROM ALL THE WAAHRKING THAT WAS JANUINELY DON, even though she made a conscious choice to keeps her work and private life separate, apparently?

Ruby has bought herself a new PONKIN PRODDOTIFTI NYOTEBOCK Moleskine notebook, because she AWLWHEYS YEESES THEEEE PONKIN PODTIFTI NYOTEBOCK Moleskine notebook.

Untitle785766765787865545466456476789d567 - Copy.jpg

Faber & Faber have sent Ruby a free copy of some random book she's never heard of, so naturally she switches to sponsor ass-kissing mode.

"Faber are probablee moiy FAVOURITE poblisher," she says, while giving her patented 'I'm lying' poker tell squint. PANGWIN POBBLISHING must have refused to send her any free books which she'll never read, so they can eat tit, I guess.

Untitle78576676578786554546676789d567 - Copy.jpg

"Loike, if you were gyowing tyoo be poblished with annieone..." Ruby adds, with a desperate, not-at-all-subtle series of 'Hint, hint, Faber! Please publish my terrible books! Look at all the free publicity I'm giving you!' facial expressions.

Faber also sent her a signed copy of Max "Pru-Fworma" Porter's latest book. At no point does she mention that these are gifted.

Untitle785766765787865545466456476789547d567 - Copy.jpg

Ruby says she had a shower and got into her pyjamas, then goes outside barefoot to sign her bad poetry pamphlets for some reason. She does this while messily eating chocolate mousse, so if you're one of the poor bastards who paid money for one of these and were wondering what that brown stuff smeared on the paper was, you can breathe a sigh of relief - there's now a slightly lower chance that it was fecal matter staining the metaphorically crappy poems.

Untitle7857667657878655454664564756756596767789547d567 - Copy.jpg

Back inside, she crams in a quick undeclared ad for BARD 'N' BLAND'S CHOCOLATE DOIYJASSTIFF TEEEEA. Then it's time to put her crappy Rupi Kaur knock-off poetry leaflets into envelopes.

Ruby claims she called her dad, did the poetry packaging and then did an additional hour of imaginary "ADMIN TAHHHSKS" which JANUINELY HAPPENED, HONNASTLEEE, taking her to "EIGHT THAAARTEEE".

Only...

Untitle7857667657878655447454664564756756596767789547d567.png

Ruby's phone is on-screen before she starts sealing envelopes and the time shows as dead-on '20:00'. So only half an hour has passed. Another Ruby video, another half-assed series of VARRY PRODOCKTIVE lies and faked timescales.

Untitle7857667657878655447454664564754566756596767789547d567.jpg

It's the next day and Ruby points out that their squalid shithole of a house VARRY MOCH needs a hoover (when doesn't it, Ruby?). Rather than Ruby or her parents getting off her lazy asses to clean anything themselves, Ruby sends a dusty "robot hoover" to do the job instead. Putting this poor Roomba up against England's filthiest manor home is like wheeling an elderly coma patient into a boxing ring and expecting them to beat Tyson Fury. This thing'll be dead from dirt overclogging before it makes it 6 feet across the floor.

"Typically, oiy put CHEESEDAYS...assoide entoirely tyooo dyoooo wroyting?" Ruby asks herself, as she somehow changes outfits like 6 times in 2 minutes. "HOWAVVER. THAT DID NWOT HAPPEN TYODAY, becoss oiy was syeeing one off moiy clyosest frands."

And by "one of my closest friends", she means "Jade, who I only see once a year when our shared management team arrange a designated playdate for brand advertising purposes or force us to attend a publicity event together".

Untitle785766765787865544745466456475456675659676745747789547d567 - Copy.jpg

And, no surprise at all, all footage of Jade is full of ads and fakery.

Jade tries BARD 'N' BLAND'S signature 'CANDOLIT LOIBREE' tea in an undeclared ad segment. Then they go on a picnic just to show off RAMADEE KYOMBYOOCHA cans and other gifted food products which also aren't declared.

"I feel like me and Ruby have such...aligned hobbies?" Jade lies.
"Ohmoiygosh!" Ruby shouts, growing increasingly abrasive in tone. "COYCLING! AND VEEGAN PICNICKING! AND THAN REEEEADING? AND THAN WROYYTINNNNGGGG!"

Reminder: Ruby paid for a taxi to take her 5 minutes down the road to avoid having to cycle on a day of clear weather. Ruby is not vegan, but likes to pretend she is while buying leather handbags every few weeks. Ruby is unable to write above the level of a brain-damaged infant, while Jade's only piece of writing is a crappy vanity book/study guide which was a complete failure and hit bargain bins almost instantly.

These two have nothing in common aside from profound stupidity, narcissistic personalities and a shared fondness for pretending to be environmentally conscientious while jetting all over the world like they're competing for a 'whose carbon footprint is the biggest' high score.

Ruby then mentions yet again what a perfectionist she is.

Q7V.gif

The next day, Ruby claims she works from "NOINE TO FFFFWORE?" in her narration, and you can practically hear her squinting again. No way this happened, especially since she then claims to cram several hours of events into just two hours before a "JANNY MOSSTUD" book launch event.

Untitle78576676578786554474546645647545667564353459676745747789547d567.jpg

And, of course, Ruby's eyes light up and she jumps into sponsor-begging mode when she sees that someone at the event has a Waterstones tote bag. Beyond embarrassing.

Untitle7857667657878655447454664564754566756435797983459676745747789547d567 - Copy.jpg

A day later and Ruby is back to shoehorning mentions of Chris Riddell into absolutely everything she can after she was sent free Riddell art prints. He's now been upgraded from her FAVOURAT ILLUSTRYATAH to ONE OF HAAAHR FAVORAT AWWWTHAS AND ONE OF THEEEE MYOST CREATIVE...CHILDRUNS...WROYTAHS? Such is the power of free stuff where Ruby's concerned.

She mentions that she's currently writing a letter to him, presumably to harass him for more freebies. However, when she shows the envelope, she appears to have used one that she's sealed, torn open, then sloppily resealed, so that won't impress ol' Chris. Did she mention that she's SOCH A PARFACKSHONIST?

Then Ruby yammers for the millionth time about how she has SYOO MANNIE ARRRGENT THINGS TYOO DOO after wasting half of her week on nonsense tasks and I got so bored I couldn't keep watching.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Chris Riddell (or his management) probably think they are in contact with a 10 year old...

• Haha
Reactions: 16
In France they offer it even in the lamest small secondary school and high school. It's usually the option that almost nobody wanted here, as it was view as boring but I'm still surprised that it seems something more like a "luxury"/private school for you. For us it's just like that weird class with three students.
In Italy you study Latin for five years at almost all "licei" which is one of the most common types of high school. I personally loved it a lot, especially working on translations. It felt like a fun logic puzzle to me.
I chose the liceo classico which is focused on the classics so Latin, Ancient Greek, history, literature and philosophy. It's actually a pretty popular option here

Even the Roomba is filthy. I feel terribly sorry for it, I know we were all about free Blakeney but we need to get that poor thing released from its servitude. Free RWOOM-BAH!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Even the Roomba is filthy. I feel terribly sorry for it, I know we were all about free Blakeney but we need to get that poor thing released from its servitude. Free RWOOM-BAH!
Yeah! I was like, those boots are cleaner than the Roomba haha. I wipe mine down with a slightly damp cloth because everything gets a bit dusty where I live. That Roomba needs someone to write in the dust on it #stillcleanerthanyourmum 🤣 (not an attack on anyone's mum, its just something a lot of local people write onto the dusty rear window of their car- I'm living in the Aussie bush rn)

• Haha
Why was one of her aims to submit something to a publisher once a week? Just a surefire way to get a restraining order
---
She wore a fitted black strapless dress at the end and it looked decent, so of course she threw on a tatty granny shawl to ruin the look

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Reposted to the correct page: I actually think Martha is so cringe sometimes. In the video shared in the last thread where she stares at the camera and says "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY, WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY" presumably quoting the meme or whatever it is, and just pauses like it's funny. It's absolutely irritating and just so.... awkward and cringe? I can't explain it in better words, but it gives me secondhand embarrassment and makes me hard-click off her videos. Maybe it's the alleged drug use that makes her speak and act so weird, or maybe she just does it to try and fit in with the alt-quirky tiktok girl personality trope. Either way, I'm not a fan.

Last edited:
I think it entirely depends on where you live and the situation. She lives near the school and is not walking in the dark. I live in the US. Taxis for commuting are okay in some cities, but can be very expensive and more rare as you move into the suburbs. I live in a rural area that doesn't even have taxi service. If you work, you have to walk or drive there. There isn't even a bus service available. This is the norm. At this point of her life, she has had plenty of free time and money to both learn to drive with a private teacher and buy a nice new car. But no. She, in all her disposable, highly privileged glory, went for the taxi over walking, biking or driving herself, like an adult. While I believe she started out having her Mommy drive her back and forth (I thought this was mentioned earlier) the students/teachers may have been making remarks and she ended up using a taxi as that would be so much more like a personal chauffeur!

Reactions: 10
I'm actually somewhat happy to see Ruby take a taxi to work. I'd like to think her parents sat her down and went "right you're an adult now with a job and it's your responsibility to get there and back"

Do I actually think that happened? No of course not. But it's nice to see Ruby not get driven by her parents as a 23 year old adult who is more than capable of learning how to drive (and tbh should know how to drive by now given that she lives in an area where you really need a car to get around).

In short it's nice to see her somewhat acting like an adult, even just for a split second. But we all know it won't last...shame

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.