Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Question about Ruby’s “novels”… is it the case that every time she writes one it gets rejected by her Agent? I literally don’t understand how she’s been going at it for (almost two years?) and it’s not even left the drafting stages.

Reactions: 6
Question about Ruby’s “novels”… is it the case that every time she writes one it gets rejected by her Agent? I literally don’t understand how she’s been going at it for (almost two years?) and it’s not even left the drafting stages.
She's not always rejected by her agent, but it seems apparent that Ruby and her agent are as bad as each other when it comes to low standards of quality and misguided expectations of the weight that Ruby's social media following has.

By my count, she's pitched the following to her agent:
  • Lottie Parton is a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Friend (YA mystery) - Accepted by her agent, redrafted several times, sent out on submission to publishers, rejected by publishers, pulled from submission by Ruby.
  • Penelope Peppermint and the Silver-Tipped Octopus (Lemony Snicket knock-off) - Rejected by her agent outright.
  • Untitled Dark Macadamia Book - Accepted by her agent, not yet in a fit state to send out on submission.
Her agent was happy enough with Lottie Parton that she thought she could get a quick and easy sale from a publisher based purely on Ruby's following and it being in a very popular, marketable genre, lack of quality be damned.

The samples that Ruby showed from the stage where she was out on submission were bafflingly bad considering she'd apparently gone through several drafts with her agent, which doesn't paint either of them in a great light.

Ruby thought she'd magically get a book deal right away because she's been told her whole life she's AVVER SYO SPASHOL AND SYO VARRY TALENTED and her agent hasn't done anything to really divorce her of that notion by signing her with no evidence of writing talent and without a first draft. Meanwhile, her agent has zero common sense to sign Ruby at all, let alone before she'd produced a completed manuscript of any quality.

If this latest book goes out on submission, it'll be met with the same rejection as the last one. Her agent doesn't make a penny from Ruby until something sells, so there's only so many failed submissions before Ruby gets dropped.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
There is functionality with Turnitin to spot AI content. https://www.turnitin.com/solutions/ai-writing I imagine it doesn't catch everything though?
The danger is that it detects essays that are hand written by students as AI, so it's not safe at all, do not use it (I'v got flagged wrongly) ! There is no safe AI detector as or now. They best way to avoid ChatGPT as a teacher is to work through steps (meaning, for each essay/thesis, they have to hand an outline, an introduction etc each week for instance) and with paper as much as you can

Reactions: 15
The danger is that it detects essays that are hand written by students as AI, so it's not safe at all, do not use it (I'v got flagged wrongly) ! There is no safe AI detector as or now. They best way to avoid ChatGPT as a teacher is to work through steps (meaning, for each essay/thesis, they have to hand an outline, an introduction etc each week for instance) and with paper as much as you can
Uni teacher friends of mine have said that you start to recognise the style of ChatGPT (same as you would when a student plagiarises somebody else's essay or uses material that they found online). It is just vastly different from what the student could or would write.
I now even see it for a Youtuber I follow, she writes reactions to comments with ChatGPT.

Reactions: 18
Just watched her latest video, in wchich, lo and behold, she is finally doing some studying. It infuriated me how she keeps recommending books and websites without ever telling us the actually name/title of the resource. FFS, just put a link in the description or hold the book up into the camera! She put the link to the secretary hand tutorial in the description box, why not the rest?

Reactions: 11
Okay, so I’m procrastinating and decided to use my procrastination time usefully and went through Roobee’s study day. Didn’t find any inconsistencies with the date (or she’s got really sneaky at hiding them) but she really is half-assing 50% of it and lying about the other 50%. Behold:

She gets up some time after sunrise, gets dressed and has breakfast - I’m guessing she starts WAHHRK around 8:30 or so (hard to make out the time but it starts with either 8 or 9).

She ”writes an outline” of The Jew of Malta, reads an article on it, then reads the whole play - the time looks to be something starting with 10 when she starts reading, or when she films the first clip of herself reading. ”That took me a couple of hours,” she announces, goes down to get coffee, then says ”it’s now been an hour” and claims to have worked on her novel.

She then reads from an introductory book on Shakespeare ”to brush up on my Shakespeare knowledge” and films the sponsorship segment, then announces ”it’s now 12:15”. Instead of going to lunch, she then ”writes up summaries of all the cantos of The Faerie Queene” (there are 75) and ”reads another canto” (number 3 - but she’s ”taking it slyowly because I’m just really enjoying it”).

After an insufficient lunch, it’s time for some transcription of Early Modern handwriting. It’s 13:44 according to her iPad. She then watches an introductory video on the Bodleian (time shown, it’s now 14:37). She then reads an entire book on early printed books on PARLAYGO and takes notes; the clock on her desk shows a time of 16:55.

She goes out on a ron, saying she will take a 45-minute break. She time travels back to 15:07 briefly to unbox her Apple pansill, then proceeds with her break of coffee, cake and wahhrking on her novel. She then reads two critical essays; the time is 17:something. (Even if it’s 17:59, she has once again managed the impossible and gone for a run, shower, coffee, cake, writing and reading two critical essays all within 54 minutes, not to mention the time travel.)

After this, it’s time to make and eat dinner, and then she has a therapy session at 19:00. She then writes for 3+ hours and reads 400 pages of a book before going to sleep.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Uni teacher friends of mine have said that you start to recognise the style of ChatGPT (same as you would when a student plagiarises somebody else's essay or uses material that they found online). It is just vastly different from what the student could or would write.
I now even see it for a Youtuber I follow, she writes reactions to comments with ChatGPT.
Yeah, sometimes you do recognize but sometimes you don't. I was a teacher intern last year at uni and some teachers talked about it with students and they discovered that they used it in some essays and teachers didnt have a clue about it. Free chat GPT is easy to detect but GPT 4 is far more difficult and some student use it (because it's hard to detect), that's why teachers have to be extra careful and come back to paper assigment (at least it was the solution teachers found in my uni)

Reactions: 4
Yeah, as someone who uses chatgpt regularly to write fanfiction for dead fandoms, I doubt it is that detectable, because the bot changes it tone and trends drastically with each update. It's like every new update has it's own little personality. Some updates are chill and funny, some are serious and analytic. A few have been downright assholes.

Reactions: 9
Nah they’re just a very common biscuit here in the U.K. - and you can get tea that’s flavoured like them, so I’m guessing that’s what she means. They were created supposedly to aid proper digestion but they’re not a laxative or anything, and now you can get chocolate coated ones or just plain ones. They’re pretty much a biscuit tin staple 🙂
Oh okay. We have a yogurt called Activia here in the US that does the same thing.
---
There is functionality with Turnitin to spot AI content. https://www.turnitin.com/solutions/ai-writing I imagine it doesn't catch everything though?
I heard teachers are being discouraged from using that feature because when tested it was flagging documents that were actually written by humans very often

Reactions: 3
I wonder if in time, if enough students ask ChatGPT to write an essay about a theme in the same novel that the essay gets refined and basically exactly the same? Like, is the AI learning and if it gets enough questions about the same thing it starts to say exactly the same? I don't know because to be honest AI chat bots give me the creeps 🫣 I just assume that if enough people ask it to write an essay on class in Dickens novels that it's not going to come up with well formed, diverse essays, is it? I guess time will tell, but at the end of the day those students will be cheating themselves of the opportunity to think and write for themselves. I may have got a 2:2 in my literature degree years ago, but at least my efforts were earnestly my own. Could I have put more effort in and studied more? Absolutely, but at least I read those books and tried to think and write about them from my own brain.

Ruby needs to embrace this masters course and do all the reading for herself, and not rely on reading plot summaries in lieu of actual reading. Though I do think reading a plot summary after you've read the items yourself is fine because it's a good way to check you didn't miss a massive point.

I do think AI is going to kill off a bit of our intelligent and reasoning capabilities.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I know from friends who work in universities it's useful for the first check, and then obviously as humans reading/marking the essays they can often tell anyway. I like your idea to catch it out but given workloads already placed on tutors and lecturers (especially those on sessional or zero hour contracts) I can see why they choose not to!
---
I heard teachers are being discouraged from using that feature because when tested it was flagging documents that were actually written by humans very often
Yeah! In practice as I mention above I from friends I know they read every essay submission anyway and are able to check.

I'm beginning to wonder if her mother is her agent. I can't imagine anyone with half a brain choosing to work with Rubbish Granger.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Yeah, as someone who uses chatgpt regularly to write fanfiction for dead fandoms, I doubt it is that detectable, because the bot changes it tone and trends drastically with each update. It's like every new update has it's own little personality. Some updates are chill and funny, some are serious and analytic. A few have been downright assholes.
I am DYING to know the fandoms. Please share.

Reactions: 5
This is evil of me but the way Ruby has been pumping out all of these videos because she's sponsored is...scummy. It shows that money talks. If she wasn't sponsored she'd probably make one AWXFAWD video per month.
---
And this is just straight up nasty
1693242576345.png

• Haha
Reactions: 19
God I’d love a documentary of her wandering around the rough parts of Glasgow. She’d faint if she came here. Not least because she’d get called out on her bullshit if she started it in public.
had a look at her IG stories and they’ve sent her to west kilbride of all places 💀

I can’t believe she was sponsored by Cambridge University Press. What an embarrassment for them - the video is truly awful, shows her usual horrible editing, poor practice as a student, disordered eating, everything we talk about here. How is that something they want to endorse?

Reactions: 32
Reading here, I’ve got two things; I think Ruby is roleplaying having a timeturner (considering all the inconsistencies in her video), and I am now craving chocolate Digestives.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Just watched the first minute or so of Rube the Tube's video. I just can't POURIDGE. Rube's you tube that isn't how you say porridge even using a heightened RP accent. Note to Ruby: if you're having a nosey. When acting as if one has a heightened RP accent one might try and assume the correct vowels for that accent. I've heard your parents speak and they do not use a heightened RP accent. People at Piper's do not speak with that accent so why are you? I studied phonology & phonetics and in my view your accent is kinda phoney. Just my view.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.