Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started reading the Harry Potter series again this week and it is SO glaringly obvious that Ruby just took all descriptions of Hermione (from the first book) and modelled herself on them. The first chapter where we meet Hermione on the train she takes it upon herself to help the pitiful Neville to find his toad (even though he was already doing so himself), talks about how she's already memorised all their set textbooks for school, done a pile of extra readings (worrying that it will be enough), warns Harry and Ron to put on their uniforms and refers to the other students on the train as "noisy children" (despite being among the youngest there). Obviously Hermione's character develops far beyond this throughout the book and the entire series and becomes a genuinely loveable and inspirational character, however Ruby ignores this and emulates the know-it-all, condescending and overachieving 11 year old. Also sounds a LOT like Erimentha :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I'm so confused as to why someone decided they needed to advertise that? And why they picked Ruby?

Reactions: 11
I normally really like Ruby. However if she's accepted money for that ad....😡 & if she hasn't, or has donated the fee to charity, you would have thought that she would have made it clear.

Reactions: 9
I'm so confused as to why someone decided they needed to advertise that? And why they picked Ruby?
Yeah it's so weird to tag it as an ad. When influencers participate in an initiative like that they don't usually call it an ad right?

Reactions: 7
Yeah it's so weird to tag it as an ad. When influencers participate in an initiative like that they don't usually call it an ad right?
I'm guessing that it's because they were paid for it, and you have to say whether you've been paid to advertise something by labelling it as an ad 🤢

Reactions: 8
talks about how she's already memorised all their set textbooks for school, done a pile of extra readings (worrying that it will be enough)
While Hermione is insufferable in the first few books, part of why she over prepares is because she's a child of muggles about to enter the "wizarding world". She's trying to fit in and avoid being discriminated against. Ruby is an upper class, native English speaker who attended private school, and is now studying English literature. Nothing wrong with any of that, but there is little justification for all the performative "extra work"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

This thread omg. I feel like we were actually quite nice about her book after reading this
My favourite quote rt of this is someone saying that this book is like if Jacob Rees-Mog tried to write a book as an 11 yr old girl 😭😭

• Haha
Reactions: 29
While Hermione is insufferable in the first few books, part of why she over prepares is because she's a child of muggles about to enter the "wizarding world". She's trying to fit in and avoid being discriminated against. Ruby is an upper class, native English speaker who attended private school, and is now studying English literature. Nothing wrong with any of that, but there is little justification for all the performative "extra work"
Exactly. Ruby has completely overlooked everything that makes Hermione a good role model and a complex character to focus only on the fact that she studies and reads a lot. It's so superficial. The fact that she's a bookworm is so low on the list of reasons why Hermione is amazing.
And I get that when you're a child that's usually the trait that you relate most to. When I read Harry Potter for the first time I also related to Hermione mostly because, like her, I was a socially awkward bookworm who didn't have many friends and used big words. But I was 6. As you grow older you should be able to dig a little deeper than that and realise that that is not all of Hermione's identity and it doesn't have to be all of your identity either.

Reactions: 24
I think, just like Hermione, Ruby is trying to compensate for something. In her case for stepping out of her indulgent family bubble into the real world and being... gasp... average. Which is freaking fine and enough

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I need an exorcism, or an intervention, or something. Youtube just recommended me a cursed version of Hall of the Mountain King, and the culprit is either Ruby or this thread.
I have so many feelings about this, none of which are identifiable.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I think, just like Hermione, Ruby is trying to compensate for something. In her case for stepping out of her indulgent family bubble into the real world and being... gasp... average. Which is freaking fine and enough
Gosh yes it must be hard to accept she was a big fish in a small pond now moving into an ocean where most of us are very average. I'm guessing that can be mindblowing. I was always average so the transition wasn't that bad for me but I can imagine it's hard for a Head Girl to step into the wider world and be 'head' of nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It is what happens with quite a few of the above average intelligent (not all before someone pulls me up) private school kids when they leave private school. They spend their entire education being spoon fed information, coached into passing exams, lots of one on one teacher time and never really struggle, then they go out into the wider world and discover some state school scum bag is actually twice as intelligent as they are and they feel terrible. I’m not saying ruby thinks like this either, but after seeing her level of writing, I can absolutely imagine shes now at uni with people who are doing far better than she is rn, and it must be kinda shocking for her that she is no longer the best in the class after years of being it

Reactions: 30
It is what happens with quite a few of the above average intelligent (not all before someone pulls me up) private school kids when they leave private school. They spend their entire education being spoon fed information, coached into passing exams, lots of one on one teacher time and never really struggle, then they go out into the wider world and discover some state school scum bag is actually twice as intelligent as they are and they feel terrible. I’m not saying ruby thinks like this either, but after seeing her level of writing, I can absolutely imagine shes now at uni with people who are doing far better than she is rn, and it must be kinda shocking for her that she is no longer the best in the class after years of being it
The sad thing is there are people out there with an actual talent for writing who will never have a chance to publish their stuff like Ruby did 🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I've been thinking - how much of Ruby Granger is actually a character? I mean, she puts across this really old fashioned persona, but that doesn't actually fit in with her filming YouTube videos and skilfully editing them using high tech equipment...

Reactions: 11
I've been thinking - how much of Ruby Granger is actually a character? I mean, she puts across this really old fashioned persona, but that doesn't actually fit in with her filming YouTube videos and skilfully editing them using high tech equipment...
Yeah, it links back to the idea of doing paid ads for Holocaust Memorial Day, and being a landlord. She's clearly got an eye for business and branding.

Reactions: 13
I guess that doesn't count. Which ties back to the idea that her glorification of the old times is very superficial and aesthetic-oriented and she wouldn't actually have liked to live through that time without everything we enjoy today (heating, modern medicine and hygiene, electric light, being able to vote, not dying in childbirth at 20...)

Reactions: 5
Yeah, it links back to the idea of doing paid ads for Holocaust Memorial Day, and being a landlord. She's clearly got an eye for business and branding.
I do wonder how much of this is Ruby and how much of this is her family background. There’s a saying about ‘money comes to money’ and you can’t help but feel that she comes from a background where it’s second nature to monetise/exploit something, and to turn a hobby into a money-making enterprise (edited to add: and believe that you could make money from it). That and coming from the kind of background where you’ve always had a lot of praise and encouragement. It wouldn’t occur to most people to self-publish a novel but Ruby has - there is a cost to that and you also need a fair bit of self-belief to think that‘s a worthwhile thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25
I dunno, just throwing this out there!! Obviously we don’t know anything but I just can’t get over the similarities. Even their photos on insta are the same!! Like purposely dressing younger and looking cute. I dunno... I just wanted to share. Maybe part of the reason she’s so organised and routine is because it turns her on. I have no idea haha but thought I’d post anyway
This makes me a bit uncomfortable. I understand you don’t mean any harm but I don’t think there’s anything to suggest there’s a sexual element to her routines? Seems quite a reach! 😅 Also think it’s important to normalise that some people aren’t sexual or just don’t like talking about it, rather than that they’re repressed in some way 💚

Reactions: 34
Okay, I don’t wanna come across like I’m trying to label someone’s sexuality or that I’m assuming things about Ruby here, but I knew a girl like her in high school and I just wanna talk about it for a bit

So i knew a girl who was sort of similar to Ruby. Not obsessed with Harry Potter or anything, but she was a bit of a loner but very very organised and had the same “Victorian, posh” thing about her. She was always going on grades and routines, just that kinda thing.

She never had a boyfriend or girlfriend throughout school, which is totally normal!! But like, didn’t seem into anyone at all really. Whenever she was with us at lunch we’d bring up even something small like kissing this girl would just squirm and not join in.

Anyway I went off to uni and didn’t see her again. But my friends then told me that one of them went to the same uni as her and after graduating she has completely changed... which is amazing but like completely became confident in who she is.

She is basically into kink. Like very into it. Has a mistress and stuff. She’s gay now, but she has a blog and I’ve read it and it talks all about her high school experience where she felt shy and awkward. But now she’s into discipline and being told what to do and getting spanked by older women. This girl also wrote on her blog that she was obsessed with dressing vintage and pretending she’s a good little girl back in the day.

i mean... no shade, genuinely was just shocked reading this as it was not the same person in high school. I am so happy she’s realised what she fancies. But now when I look at Ruby, I can totally see the same traits in her... right down to pigtails, cute dresses, being obsessed with rules and order, being really organised and not showing any interest in relationships.

I dunno, just throwing this out there!! Obviously we don’t know anything but I just can’t get over the similarities. Even their photos on insta are the same!! Like purposely dressing younger and looking cute. I dunno... I just wanted to share. Maybe part of the reason she’s so organised and routine is because it turns her on. I have no idea haha but thought I’d post anyway
Haha I see what you mean here, kinda like how some of the most homophobic people actually repressing their own sexuality and end up coming out as gays in the end?
Its an interesting theory but I dunno about ruby, while she doesn’t talk about sex and isn’t interested in relationships, theres not been anything so far to really suggest shes absolutely disgusted by it

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.