Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is giving me serious flashbacks of my early teen years where I used to write elaborate and flowery HP fanfictions with my friends, I swear I felt my teeth tingle from the cringe 😂 (For the record, I don't find fanfic cringe but our writing back then was something else. I'm sure I must have called green eyes 'emerald orbs' at one point lmfao)
How do you taste whiteness of the milk is what I'm curious about. The fact that this year 7 witch thinks she's above her peers for wanting to talk to her teacher about freaking Cambodia and mental health care ??? is absolutely sending me. Someone save Mr. Aldridge.
Same, her book reminds me of my One Direction fanfics in which the ✨main character ✨ was a colorized and idealized version of myself with whom Harry Styles obviously fell in love at first sight
My writing was also what you can expect of a 10-12 year old whose English wasn’t a first language
Except, I didn’t exactly publish those..

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I really hoped Ruby wasn’t reading here but disclaimer at the end of today’s video makes me think she is 🙁 As much as I find this thread funny, I don’t think anyone should read their own thread. Especially Ruby who is pretty harmless in comparison.
As much as I can cosign that nobody should read their own thread for the sake of their sanity and that there are other ones that are much more harmful, I think she is snobbisch, privileged, tone-deaf and productivity-fetish-driven to a problematic degree and so I think this thread has every right to discuss her (and have some respectful fun while at it).

• Heart
Reactions: 23
As much as I can cosign that nobody should read their own thread for the sake of their sanity and that there are other ones that are much more harmful, I think she is snobbisch, privileged, tone-deaf and productivity-fetish-driven to a problematic degree and so I think this thread has every right to discuss her (and have some respectful fun while at it).
Oh I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a thread for her (I contribute to it myself :) ). I’m just saying I hopes she stops reading it

Reactions: 7
Oh I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a thread for her (I contribute to it myself :) ). I’m just saying I hopes she stops reading it
Oh, then I misread your comment, thought you meant the thread to change. And since it is my only outlet these days with Corona and exam season I think I might have felt threatened. :D

Reactions: 4
Yeah I agree, it's not good for her to obsess over it. And Ruby strikes me as somebody who does not react well to criticism.

Reactions: 8
and now colours have flavours, thanks to Ruby’s useless adjectives
Well, I think it was a very bad attempt at being poetic. I'm sure synaesthesia can be wonderful if used in the right context or by a skillful writer (thinking about Herta Müller for example), but in this auto-fanfic it's just misplaced.

Reactions: 10
If you are going to put your life online people will gossip, and some gossip will be mean. That’s how it is and if someone can’t cope with it then maybe don’t share your life online?
Might seem harsh, but I’m fed up with people complaining about sites like Tattle. No one is being forced to film their life and put it online 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Same, her book reminds me of my One Direction fanfics in which the ✨main character ✨ was a colorized and idealized version of myself with whom Harry Styles obviously fell in love at first sight
My writing was also what you can expect of a 10-12 year old whose English wasn’t a first language
Except, I didn’t exactly publish those..
Or at least, your thirsting on Wattpad wasn't actually under your real identity!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I feel like the only people who are obsessed with the Victorian Era are those who would have had a higher chance of survival during that time. Lol. Like I understand studying a time period for academic or entertainment purposes. It's interesting to learn about these things. However, this reminds me a lot of those people who romanticize American culture of the 50s. Like...yes, if you were white and rich you probably would have enjoyed life during that time. However, for most of the world, this wasn't a reality. I think Ruby is trying to act out this idealized, upper-class version of those years. It's even become a huge part of her daily life and personality. This is not good. I would really like Ruby to be more critical of the ways in which she only appropriates the cleaner and more sanitized parts of history. She has a large audience and it scares me that history can be, in some ways, rewritten by a privileged white woman like her. The British Empire in the 19th century was imperialist, racist, and still benefiting from its colonial practices, such as slavery. Even childrens' books like The Secret Garden subtly point towards these things and are even problematic and racist, but Ruby always chooses to take things away from their historical and social context to make things seem more palatable.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
This is mad specific but any do any of you lot remember that CBBC show where they shipped a bunch of kids off to a house in the countryside and they all pretended it was WW2 and had to black out the windows and stuff? I think one kid even had a bowl put on his head and his hair cut off round the rim 🤣 whenever Ruby makes herself cold and all that jazz it reminds me of that show 🤣
Evacuation to the Mannor house. That was quite a good show 😂

Reactions: 5
Slightly off topic, but I hated The Secret Garden. I found Mary Lennox to be such an ungrateful brat and couldn't give a flying duck about the story of her life. I was nine when I read it, so perhaps I missed out on some of the important messages. Anyways, I hope Ruby doesn't start seriously imitating Mary.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Is it just me who thought the porridge in the recent Victorian video looked disgusting? It was so burnt and lumpy!

Reactions: 10
Is it just me who thought the porridge in the recent Victorian video looked disgusting? It was so burnt and lumpy!
I thought so too, but since I've never actually had porridge or even really seen it in real life I didn't mention it because maybe it was meant to look that way haha

Reactions: 3
I’ve always thought this. Also, there are so many videos where she’s sitting on the floor in her room or her dorm and the floor is just covered in lint and other various small trash items that always made me think she’s a slob. I don’t think her or her family ever vacuum?
It's probably because they can't get a maid right now because of COVID lmaao

• Haha
Reactions: 14
To be honest it would be quite hilarious to watch her on the 1900 house or similar programme and see her have a meltdown when she inevitably gets bored of her little romanticised fantasy and wants easy access to running water and yearns to watch her Anne with an e or Enola Holmes and be able to post cutsey little clips playing in the snow. She might like the idea of it and the literature, but she really should read up on it further.
I LOVE the 1900 House, I find that the ones where they live historically for like 3 months are way more interesting than the recent ones (like Back in Time to whatever) where it's only for a week/weekend. I suppose the focus for those ones is showing change, whereas the earlier ones gave a better sense of the period and how crap it would be to actually live like that. Edwardian Country House (Manor House in US) is another really good one because it had the drama of some people being the servants.

I'm glad that Ruby acknowledged that Victorian society wasn't all quiant ettiquette and books in the outro of the video. Her interest/fetishisation of Victorian England has been a theme for about a year and it's the first I remember her actually saying this. I'm curious if Ruby ever read/watched Horrible Histories when she was younger, which of course didn't present an idealised version of the Victorians!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.