Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am almost 100% sure she is inflating her grades. Either Ruby is the greatest conwoman alive and she's been putting on a carefully curated façade for the past 5 years, pretending to be a gigantic idiot who can't even put two words together in a sentence in her own native language, or she's lying to make herself look like a genius to her young, impressionable audience.

I've also thought that maybe she counts on the fact that a large part of her audience is not British and doesn't know that an 80 is such a phenomenal grade. In my country a 24/30 is nothing to write home about. A lot of people would actually turn it down (in Italy you can choose to turn down grades and try the exam again in the next exam session if you're not happy with them, even if you got a passing grade).

• Heart
Reactions: 31
When I did my masters (at a Russell group uni in the uk so closest comparison without actually going to Exeter) purely because you went from being marked literally to Level 5 criteria to level 6 criteria, and that the general “pass” mark was raised to a 50, it literally looks like all of your grades “go down by ten” when that’s not exactly the case. It is true that in the beginning, because of the criteria shift, if you hand in a essay that got 2:1 at undergrad it’s likely to get a 50 which students can see and think it means they’ve gone down, but by the end of the masters I did get back up to 60s and the odd 70 which I was also doing in UG so I would literally pay to see her react to her first MA mark and have “I got a 2:2” mark 2 where she starts crying thinking she got the equivalent of a 2:1 because we all know for all her “I researched this course extensively” her lack of common sense would mean she hasn’t read up/realised the marking shift

I will also clarify that my friend did her masters at Oxford and they have a different merit threshold which I’ve included below

undergraduate
40: Third
50: 2:2
60: 2:1
70: First

postgraduate
50: pass
60: Merit (65 at Oxford)
70: Distinction
When I did my MA, lots of my cohort had existential crises because their marks went down from undergrad, and they stayed at the same university too! I don't know if Ruby would be able to cope, as she'd probably expect 90+ from day one.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Ruby granger #23 stealing from charities is so twee. Holocaust expert? You must be looking for Roobee

Reactions: 12
When I did my MA, lots of my cohort had existential crises because their marks went down from undergrad, and they stayed at the same university too! I don't know if Ruby would be able to cope, as she'd probably expect 90+ from day one.
Exactly the same here! This is why I don’t think she’d be able to cope doing a PhD either because, as it’s been mentioned before, there is no marking. Everything is measured via discussions, interviews and comments from your supervisors reading your work rather than a solid number. Considering Ruby’s detailed how she’s floundered thinking for herself during her Oxford interview and blamed it on not reading an article she could have parroted back (which will literally never fly at phd level), and even when she’s gotten feedback on 70+ essays she’s countered her tutor’s comments and decided to challenge them or seemingly ignore them, we can all imagine that this shift is going to be really (and rightly) challenging for her. If anything if she takes up the chance to teach an undergrad seminar (god help those first years) she’d be the one doing the marking 🥲

plus a huge part of during the MA, in the transition between, and a massive part of your whole phd is presenting at conferences. Now yes Ruby’s videos *should* give her public speaking skills but given how much she’s hidden herself away from home, and she’s never done any actual job with public speaking skills like shop assistant, student ambassador, teach first etc, and can’t stand being challenged again it’s just another thing I can see her detesting because of her “smarter than thou”infuriating attitude

also we all know Ruby will now forever be that person who can be working completely away from academia, in an office, will get a tiny bit of negative feedback and she’ll immediately pull out “well I got 80 on an essay didn’t you know”

Reactions: 17
Man what I wouldn't give to read one of Ruby's essays... I'm just so curious to see what she writes and how she manages to get such high marks everytime! Now even more so cause we just saw her "thinking" (i.e. not thinking at all) and "writing" (i.e. copying from a website) skills in action on that awful Holocaust remembrance project.
I was also curious about this, so I screencapped a few images of her computer during a timelapse of her writing her ASS-AY.

DC1D11FB-46AD-4142-886E-8AB845A9A9FD.png

EC91E80E-93D2-433B-982D-775622FC0CA5.png

While it’s difficult to make out the full paragraph, I’m not impressed by what I was able to piece together from it. I’d pay anything to be able to read the entire thing.

38FF18CC-2BF1-415B-9FF2-46AB8A1C32CE.png
0595AF0D-CF82-4099-A888-22753C9434E1.png

Reactions: 11
Ruby Granger #23 First I spuddle, quick AD, then jump into a mud puddle!

Reactions: 6
girly literally said she would post "educational content" in the week leading up to holocaust remembrance day, proceeded to post nothing holocaust-related for a while except that story where she shared her notion page (which she didn't link in any other post or story highlight - if you missed the story and didn't save the link to notion, you won't find it again), and then she posts PICTURES OF BOOKS AT WATERSTONES and only shares a post from the HMDT???? yea sure ruby we all see how important holocaust remembrance is to you

Reactions: 22
Ruby Granger #23 - i'm a macademia, candles in the dark, i'm reading jaqueline wilson, a fly as my bookmark

• Haha
Reactions: 11
She's far too stupid to have survived this long. I never thought I've have sympathy for Ruby's tax-dodging dad, but every day seems like a shrieking, slapstick Final Destination-style rollercoaster of near-death and destruction in that house as the universe tries its best to finish her off. No wonder there's always so much banging and clattering in the background of all of Ruby's videos if Mother Granger's narrowly escaping death through stupidity at every turn.
im howling 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I was also curious about this, so I screencapped a few images of her computer during a timelapse of her writing her ASS-AY.

View attachment 1021135
View attachment 1021138

While it’s difficult to make out the full paragraph, I’m not impressed by what I was able to piece together from it. I’d pay anything to be able to read the entire thing.

View attachment 1021143View attachment 1021144
This confirms that she fills her essays with a tit-ton of quotes from secondary readings/critical essays, and reverse engineers an argument and thesis from there. It confirms that she doesn't know how to think for herself, and depends on Blakeney and her tutors to supply her with the "right" answers, because she can't do it by herself. It proves to me that she is good at gaming the system and nothing else. She doesn't know how to write or speak well, period. I am not from the U.K., so I don't fully understand what it takes to get a first, but if Ruby is routinely getting 73+ marks on all her papers, and got an 80 on this one, I can't take Exeter seriously as a university.

I have a degree in English, but if I had ever pulled the utter bullshit that Ruby pulls, I would have failed. One of the essays I had to write for my degree was very research heavy and had to include a lot secondary criticism and historical analysis, etc. I wasn't used to writing papers like that at the time, and was so worried about trying to include all the secondary material that was required for the assignment, that I ended up getting too far away from the original text, and got a C on the paper. (I guess the U.S. equivalent of a 2:2).The main feedback from the professor had been that when it came down to it, I didn't do enough close reading of text that the essay was supposed to be based off of, and as a result, the arguments in my paper were poorly supported. Fair enough! I bring all of this up to say that I think this is exactly what Ruby does in her essays. The difference being that she doesn't get marked down for it the way that way I did in my example. It's infuriating knowing that she is likely going to get a first in her degree, even though she is a complete incompetent who doesn't deserve any of the praise she receives.

Reactions: 20
Reactions: 2
This confirms that she fills her essays with a tit-ton of quotes from secondary readings/critical essays, and reverse engineers an argument and thesis from there. It confirms that she doesn't know how to think for herself, and depends on Blakeney and her tutors to supply her with the "right" answers, because she can't do it by herself. It proves to me that she is good at gaming the system and nothing else. She doesn't know how to write or speak well, period. I am not from the U.K., so I don't fully understand what it takes to get a first, but if Ruby is routinely getting 73+ marks on all her papers, and got an 80 on this one, I can't take Exeter seriously as a university.

I have a degree in English, but if I had ever pulled the utter bullshit that Ruby pulls, I would have failed. One of the essays I had to write for my degree was very research heavy and had to include a lot secondary criticism and historical analysis, etc. I wasn't used to writing papers like that at the time, and was so worried about trying to include all the secondary material that was required for the assignment, that I ended up getting too far away from the original text, and got a C on the paper. (I guess the U.S. equivalent of a 2:2).The main feedback from the professor had been that when it came down to it, I didn't do enough close reading of text that the essay was supposed to be based off of, and as a result, the arguments in my paper were poorly supported. Fair enough! I bring all of this up to say that I think this is exactly what Ruby does in her essays. The difference being that she doesn't get marked down for it the way that way I did in my example. It's infuriating knowing that she is likely going to get a first in her degree, even though she is a complete incompetent who doesn't deserve any of the praise she receives.
One of my general frustrations with a lot of higher education that is reflected here, is the way they put emphasis on using other people's work to build your argument in preference to having any kind of an original take. Literally about 25% of the marks are about referencing: did you do it in the 'right' format, did you use the kind of sources they wanted you to, and by extension did you come to the 'right' conclusions about the material.

This is more pronounced in arts subjects where there isn't one objectively correct answer, but if you ever wonder why universities have historically upheld some really questionable ideas and theories, this is kind of why. If you have an idea or thought that you can't cite, it's worthless, even if it's interesting. I found it demoralising how much is just about regurgitating and rewording thoughts that others have already covered in-depth.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Ruby, for the first time ever, is genuinely happy for someone else. Blakeney's hard work earned an 80 on this essay. It's just a shame Ruby attached her name to it.
The wild, half-crazed GLEE on her face as she looks at that grade she got by cheating is so disturbing.

It's also really telling: that is why she does everything she does. For these literal seconds of receiving what she perceives as a pat on the back. She will do whatever it takes, because she has built nothing else in her life (relationships, activities, character and so on) that gives her that kind of a good feeling.

She looks so bored and depressed by everything else, especially studying and vlogging, and suddenly, at the hope of a good grade, she lights up in this weird, manic manner.

I don't know what is more disturbing than that. (In general, I think people's joy says even more about them than their sadness, as in, you can tell who they are by what makes them deliriously happy. Is it a loved one? Is it helping others? Is it a good, honest life? --spoiler alert, in this case it is none of these things).

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
How long has Ruby worked on Dicken's module? It feels like she has been working on it for ages, then again with the amount of faffing around with Ruby does. I'm a final year student, I do study history but I'm already working on my second-semester coursework but it might be different as I'm a student in Scotland.
Ikr, it feels as though her whole degree has been the Dickens module. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Ohh thank you so much for posting this! Well from what I could make out, her main argument here is that "Dickens shows that real change comes from people". Which like, I don't know much about Dickens, but that seems like a pretty... obvious take? Like wow, Dickens thought that change comes from people, not from animals! How groundbreaking!

Also something about the idea of resurrection being connected to the idea of sacrifice, which duh, and then she claims that Dickens' theology and Bonhoeffer's theology were basically the same. So I guess she found a way to work her newly acquired Holocaust knowledge into this? And I didn't know that Dickens was a theologian, but okay. At least she admits that there were like 100 years between Dickens and Bonhoeffer, but still her main argument seems to be that their thought was the same. (Maybe that's just cause they were both Christians and shared some common, pretty standard Christian beliefs? But what do I know, I don't study at Axe-eter)

Plus some stuff about the importance of Jesus. If I didn't know better, I'd say this is an essay written by a student at a private Christian school or college. So much theology!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
At the end of the day no one has seen her full essays. Exeter slander is a bit unnecessary imo. No need to bring down the entire department and univresity, my view is that Ruby spends three times as long as an average student on her essays, harasses her lectures and does “prep” with Blakeney.

She also bases her entire self worth and internet persona on being a know it all, if I was her I’d make sure to get firsts too ☠

Reactions: 25
girly literally said she would post "educational content" in the week leading up to holocaust remembrance day, proceeded to post nothing holocaust-related for a while except that story where she shared her notion page (which she didn't link in any other post or story highlight - if you missed the story and didn't save the link to notion, you won't find it again), and then she posts PICTURES OF BOOKS AT WATERSTONES and only shares a post from the HMDT???? yea sure ruby we all see how important holocaust remembrance is to you
And to further highlight how much she cares, this is the kind of face she made while reading a harrowing story about a deaf woman subjected to unimaginably horrific abuse at the hands of the Nazis:

Untitled08088.jpg

This is the face she makes when she finds out that she got a slightly lower than expected grade for a uni assignment that she deliberately ignored the instructions for and won't count towards her final grade anyway:

Untitled0000 (2) (2).jpg

This is the face she makes when she forgot to order a book for uni and has to make do with an audiobook version, even though she had the reading list for weeks/months and claims to be so organised that she founded a company selling planners to people to help them be super-organised, too:

Untitled080524.jpg

If the tiniest, most inconsequential thing goes wrong for her (which is usually her fault), she has an emotional breakdown. But she doesn't give a single duck about other people unless there's something in it for her, and she's not remotely a good enough actor to convincingly pretend to care.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
Slightly off topic, but I wonder what will happen to her channel when she finishes her degree - no more study with me videos.

it was some time ago, but I was surprised that Ruby only achieved a low first in her previous results - I think it may have been In the first year of the English degree.

I wonder if her dissertation will be her undoing, as she will not be responding to a set essay question and much of her academic style seems to verge on plagiarism.

Reactions: 19
And to further highlight how much she cares, this is the kind of face she made while reading a harrowing story about a deaf woman subjected to unimaginably horrific abuse at the hands of the Nazis:

View attachment 1021699

This is the face she makes when she finds out that she got a slightly lower than expected grade for a uni assignment that she deliberately ignored the instructions for and won't count towards her final grade anyway:

View attachment 1021702

This is the face she makes when she forgot to order a book for uni and has to make do with an audiobook version, even though she had the reading list for weeks/months and claims to be so organised that she founded a company selling planners to people to help them be super-organised, too:

View attachment 1021741

If the tiniest, most inconsequential thing goes wrong for her (which is usually her fault), she has an emotional breakdown. But she doesn't give a single duck about other people unless there's something in it for her, and she's not remotely a good enough actor to convincingly pretend to care.
What I find absolutely insane is that she sees nothing wrong with these reactions and decides to post them on the Internet.
I'm a big crybaby too. I have the backbone of a jelly bean. I get stressed and emotional quite easily (although I can't say I have ever cried over a missing book or a less than perfect grade...)
But I'd be mortified to be seen having such a disproportionate reaction by anyone other than the people closest to me.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.