Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't see her getting a real job after uni, at all. She'll probably turn this channel into a "history" channel and indulge her Victorian cosplays to her heart's content.
I bet she has dreams of becoming a Bernadette Banner kind of character, who basically live for the aesthetics. But I don't think Ruby is equipped to work as hard as Bernadette does on her video editing skills, or make any kind of actually researched content.

Reactions: 9
I still can't get over how casually she let out she isn't enjoying uni

Reactions: 24
studying/uni is her niche. it's how she earns money. and she's admitted to everyone that she doesn't like it anymore..

Reactions: 17
To be fair, I think she could probably teach (private) primary school children. But I don't think she'd be able to handle teaching secondary, for all the reasons mentioned above. I can definitely imagine her romanticising teaching haha I think she would fancy herself as a Miss Honey type person. I remember someone in the Ruby thread on another website saying that they went to the same school and that Ruby had very much tried to take on a sort of 'mentor' role with the year 7s etc that wasn't in the job description for head girl. I can imagine her working with younger kids. I think maybe she'd struggle with workplace politics (in any career) because she's so eager to be liked
Any school that employed someone like Ruby in either a teaching and/or a pastoral role would be massively irresponsible. She lacks maturity and life experience, and simply would not be able to cope when faced with the kinds of challenging situations that working with young people can throw at you. You can’t ‘romanticise’ your way out of a situation where a child discloses abuse to you, you can’t suggest ‘making a list’ or ‘use Notion’ when a young person comes to you struggling with school work. It’s utterly bizarre to me that anyone would suggest that Ruby work into schools so that she can hold on to her own fantasies of still being at school - that would be incredibly dangerous for anyone for whom she would have responsibility. She’d be employed to do a job, not faff around as some kind of therapy for herself. She’d be better off staying in education, at least she can afford it and she wouldn’t be putting anyone other than herself at risk.

I’ve been saying that for ages, it’s been really obvious that ever since she start at uni it hasn’t lived up to whatever expectations she had of it. She wanted to go to boarding school (in the 30s …) and not university at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I think she's still over that Oxford rejection which is why she's not enjoying as much. She would have been eaten alive if she'd gotten in.

For me personally, I hated school but even for people I know who enjoyed it, they don't miss it as much as she does. At the age of 21 you're over that part of your life and thinking about your present and future. I don't know anyone who misses it as much as she does.

She absolutely needs therapy if she's still missing her school days. It's kinda sad that she's not over that chapter of her life.

Reactions: 24
I think she's still over that Oxford rejection which is why she's not enjoying as much. She would have been eaten alive if she'd gotten in.

For me personally, I hated school but even for people I know who enjoyed it, they don't miss it as much as she does. At the age of 21 you're over that part of your life and thinking about your present and future. I don't know anyone who misses it as much as she does.

She absolutely needs therapy if she's still missing her school days. It's kinda sad that she's not over that chapter of her life.
I miss it, but only in a regret/"I wish I could do-over" sort of way. I had such a tit time mentally during secondary school and it reflected in my grades etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I miss it, but only in a regret/"I wish I could do-over" sort of way. I had such a tit time mentally during secondary school and it reflected in my grades etc.
I'm the same in a sense that I wasn't in a good place during my exams so understand where you're coming from with that 💕

Reactions: 9
Any school that employed someone like Ruby in either a teaching and/or a pastoral role would be massively irresponsible. She lacks maturity and life experience, and simply would not be able to cope when faced with the kinds of challenging situations that working with young people can throw at you. You can’t ‘romanticise’ your way out of a situation where a child discloses abuse to you, you can’t suggest ‘making a list’ or ‘use Notion’ when a young person comes to you struggling with school work. It’s utterly bizarre to me that anyone would suggest that Ruby work into schools so that she can hold on to her own fantasies of still being at school - that would be incredibly dangerous for anyone for whom she would have responsibility. She’d be employed to do a job, not faff around as some kind of therapy for herself. She’d be better off staying in education, at least she can afford it and she wouldn’t be putting anyone other than herself at risk.
The local prep school where I live created a ‘well-being lead’ role who would do the PSHE lessons, yoga, meditation (this is what you do when you pay for your education 😂) but employed somebody who has a severe ED and looks severely underweight to do it. I’m sure she’s great at the job but I was astounded that impressionable kids were being taught by somebody who looked so ill.

I do think that teaching can be very romanticised. In a state school you’re ‘saving kids’ in poverty from a bad education, or in private schools you’re just living the Anne of green gables life. But I’ve seen so many tiktoks by teachers doing the ‘POV - you’ve told your teacher you’re self harming/have an ED/being abused’ etc where they talk at the camera - personally I find them v cringe but people really can romanticise anything.

Reactions: 6
It’s utterly bizarre to me that anyone would suggest that Ruby work into schools so that she can hold on to her own fantasies of still being at school - that would be incredibly dangerous for anyone for whom she would have responsibility.
To clarify, when I say I can imagine her doing it, I don't think that she should be doing it !

Reactions: 7
The local prep school where I live created a ‘well-being lead’ role who would do the PSHE lessons, yoga, meditation (this is what you do when you pay for your education 😂) but employed somebody who has a severe ED and looks severely underweight to do it. I’m sure she’s great at the job but I was astounded that impressionable kids were being taught by somebody who looked so ill.
I wonder if we are from the same area or if this is a common occurrence. A woman at my local primary school had the same role when her BMI was in single digits. I never could understand why she was employed in this specific role and the impact it could have on students. Sadly she died not so long ago, from A, and again I wonder how the children managed that. It wasn’t her fault, but I do think it very irresponsible of the school. And I see it a lot in ballet schools too, where teachers clearly have significant difficulties with weight, which is even more dangerous and harmful, I think.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Ruby has given a glimpse at the kind of work she's doing for her Dickens module, and I weep for the poor bastards stuck in an assignment group with her.

Before she gets started on unveiling her staggering work of academic genius, she offers up some motivational insanity:

Screenshot_20211030-142043_Chrome.jpg

Today is a good day to have a good day, apparently, as opposed to yesterday, which was a bad day to have a good day, and last Thursday, which was the perfect day to have the worst day of your life.

The core elements of a good day: Pretending to read a book in a dusty room, with askew pictures on the wall, your new favourite scarf laid out on your bed like a throw, lukewarm tea and a big glass of water to stave off the urge to actually eat food when you're hungry.

Ruby will probably be releasing the "Good Day/Bad Day Calendar" soon, so you'll know precisely when to schedule your good days and what days in which it's appropriate to just straight-up salt the earth and ruin your life.

Then it's time for the grand unveiling of her Dickens assignment, for which she's been tasked with making Dickens accessible to wider audiences. Because if there's one person that springs to mind when I picture who is definitely in touch with the thoughts and interests of everyday people, it's Ruby "Detached From Reality" "Granger".

As she does in all things in life, Ruby has immediately pushed her way to being the centre of attention, making sure she's both closer to the camera in the photo of her study group, but also just going completely OTT with her facial expressions and wild gestures. This is what excitement looks like, allegedly.

Screenshot_20211030-143857_Chrome.jpg

The person next to Ruby appears to be barely suppressing genuine confusion and terror, which is the correct response when forced to be around Ruby.

To make Dickens accessible to wider audiences today, in the age of Coronavirus, Ruby thought it'd be a good idea to go with a Dickens-themed escape room, despite escape rooms waning in popularity years ago, and now being the worst possible time to recommend that anyone go touching everything in a room that numerous other people have also touched.

Part/all of their assignment relies on marketing their idea, apparently, which sounds like a high school business GCSE assignment and not part of a third year English Lit degree module.

Ruby has taken marketing this fake escape room experience about as seriously as she's taken marketing her own, real products for sale. In other worse: Not at all.

So you're ready for an exciting experience, maybe a work outing to escape the office drudgery and get to know your colleagues, maybe to have fun with friends after drinks and a meal. Escape rooms were all the rage a few years ago, so why not try one? You're definitely going to throw down your cash for this one, after getting an impromptu, incomplete history lesson about Charles Dickens' name:

Screenshot_20211030-152454_Chrome.jpg

This is the introductoty post on the escape room's faux marketing Insta. Because learning about Charlie D's nicknames, the social problems addressed in Dickens' work and how they relate to life today is exactly what people are craving in a bleeping escape room. I think the third entry in the hit Escape Room movie thriller franchise will be all about the same thing. 'Escape Room 3: The Curse of Chucky D' hits cinemas in 2023.

"Does the word Boz mean anything?" asks a commenter. Ruby doesn't know, and offers no answers. But maybe you'll find the answers to this mystery in the escape room...

Screenshot_20211030-143823_Chrome.jpg

Next, the main logo for their exciting new escape room, which is just basic, boring font on a black background, with a shoddily clipped and pasted image of a burning candle. She's also made sure that the "Escape Room" part - y'know, the entire crux of the experience they're selling - is as small as possible.

But surely she's cut corners on the logo because they're still recovering from all the hard work they did setting up a fake Dickensian escape room facade for a photoshoot to lure in customers, right? Since that would be the first time Ruby has put any effort into anything that wasn't depriving charities of money and to-do lists, she's not broken the trend.

Screenshot_20211030-143921_Chrome.jpg

"Just throw a magnifying glass next to a Dickens book on a grimy windowsill with dead flies on it," Ruby said to herself, using her disgusting den of filth and dust as the natural location for a Dickensian workshop. Also a burning, broken "candlestick" next to a pile of flammable material provides the suggestion of mystery and danger. Why is that candle snapped? Is there a key hidden inside? It must be a clue, surely!

Next, Ruby has decided to include a picture of her parents' Dickens collection (and a disgusting, melted glob of wax for visual flavour).

Screenshot_20211030-143941_Chrome.jpg

"(publishing history of Dickens books)"

What does that mean? Is this a placeholder for later historical information? Does she mean this photo is supposed to be the complete published work of Dickens? If so, having all the books on camera might be good, instead of cropping them off awkwardly. And where's the proper capitalisation and punctuation in this faux design piece made for a third year module in an English Lit degree?

But if seeing Ruby's musky, poorly-taken-care-of borrowed book collection isn't enough to allure the masses into paying for an escape room experience, then she'll take this up a notch!

"think Dickens is outdated?" Ruby asks, without a capital T, because who needs proper capitalisation in third year English uni assignments? Well, think again, you goddammit peasants! Dickens is modern and relevant!

Screenshot_20211030-151033_Chrome.jpg

He popularised all those words you modern people use in your Tinder bios and in your TikTok videos, like "podsnappery". Ahh, if I had a penny for every time I'd used that word...(this paragraph would be the first).

We know all great escape room marketing includes vaguely antagonist rhetorical questions thrown at potential customers and provides them with pointless and unrelated answers. It's a brief peek at the mystery, intrigue and mind-bending excitement you'd experience at this new escape room, which increasingly looks like it'd be you trying to escape Ruby's room as she shouts random, poorly-researched Dickens factoids at you, before you die of boredom and dust inhalation.

Ruby continues the assault of poorly-thought-out "education", offering up essay snippets asking viewers/potential customers if they believe the criminal justice system today is still as flawed as it was in the Dickensian era.

But the key component to any marketing campaign is to let people know the location, the price, any accessibility information, and so on.

Unfortunately, finding this escape room would be part of the mystery itself, as Rubes only teases that it's "in central London, just a few minutes from Russell Square tube station'. Central London is a pretty barren place with not many buildings or businesses, so that should narrow it down enough. The cost will remain a mystery until you receive an invoice in the post a month later, printed on Pumpkin Productivity letterhead. Making up a fake address, price and opening hours, etc. was simply too much work for Ruby to put into this final year uni assignment, evidently.

In lieu of any actual imagination, planning, cohesive ideas and hard work, Ruby has then opted to just weaponise her privilege, giving herself and her group an advantage over other students by just begging all followers on her main profile to go follow her fake profile for her uni assignment.

Screenshot_20211030-142110_Chrome.jpg

Her assignment should stand on its own and be judged on its own merits, but Ruby has opted to just cheat, and will undoubtedly brag that her page attracted tonnes of followers, even though none of the people following would have done so if influencer Ruby Granger hadn't asked them to.

If I were a uni tutor and received this as an assignment, I'd be flabbergasted how terrible and poorly thought out it was. Must try harder, Ruby.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Is this what actual third years are doing as part of their degree???

View attachment 837260
I did something very similar as one of my Masters modules (I made an interactive Wordpress blog on ETA Hoffmann’s work and adaptations of it primarily looking at adaptations in ballets and films etc) and it was an awesome part literally showing you how to make research etc easily accessible via Wordpress blogs etc - it certainly demystified academia a lot for a lot of us, but I think it’s not the actual work that’s strange, and I actually think the idea of Death By Dickens (there are probably better authors like Doyle that would just fit better but it is a Dickens module so fair) as an escape room is kinda cool and has legs if done properly, it is more that Ruby is “okay” with doing it rather than living her dark academic dream

Reactions: 17
I did something very similar as one of my Masters modules (I made an interactive Wordpress blog on ETA Hoffmann’s work and adaptations of it primarily looking at adaptations in ballets and films etc) and it was an awesome part literally showing you how to make research etc easily accessible via Wordpress blogs etc - it certainly demystified academia a lot for a lot of us, but I think it’s not the actual work that’s strange, and I actually think the idea of Death By Dickens (there are probably better authors like Doyle that would just fit better but it is a Dickens module so fair) as an escape room is kinda cool and has legs if done properly, it is more that Ruby is “okay” with doing it rather than living her dark academic dream
I think I just find it kind of surreal because imo if you're doing an undergraduate degree designed to improve your understanding of literature (and heaven knows Ruby needs it), analysis of literature should surely be the objective here? It doesn't seem fair that an influencer is going to be able to use her advantage of having loads of followers to market to in order to improve her grade. Her analysis of literature comes across as so childish and basic, and tasks like these make me wonder how much she's actually learning about literature. I can see projects focused on making research accessible to the public being useful at Masters level and above, but not at undergrad level imo.

Reactions: 16
I had actually assumed that Ruby's rather facile comments on literature were a reflection on her abilities rather than the curriculum and teaching at Exeter but this project makes me wonder. Since when did dumbed down marketing exercises replace critical analysis in studying literature at undergrad level?

Reactions: 16
Ruby's latest video is interesting. I wonder whether her parents and extended family talked about the wonderful university experience as a way to get her to fly the nest and embrace it. Obviously no one could have predicted a pandemic, but as others have said, Ruby has emotionally regressed a lot in her time since starting and I think this is her way of pushing back and getting to the child-like state she wants.

It was also a culture shock for her - it's normal to be one of the top graded people at college to then realise there are far smarter people around you - you accept it and mature as a result. I think Ruby wanted to be the darling of her course and enjoy tea with her tutors whilst they dusted off a first edition to lend to her.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
hey, new here!
i've been reading this thread on and off and i've seen some people say that ruby is "ed-baiting" while others say she actually developed one? which is more feasible? i don't know enough details of her life or behavior to assume myself

Why does she think ppl at uni either party until they're passed out or never go out of their room?
The whole video just sounds like her un-convincing herself of some fantasy she made in her head about uni. Very jarring. It's just uni. Have fun, go to class, rinse, repeat. Why is she blowing it up to be such a big thing. News flash, Ruby Granger can't aestheticize her uni experience enough so she's whining about it on camera!!

And yes Ruby, there's nothing wrong with being homesick but there's something wrong with wanting to go home "every day" to play baby with mummy and daddy. She sounds so bitter and defensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26
Yes, months before the pandemic she was putting the anorexia books on her Goodreads, calling attention to the books in her videos, filming herself eating only half a bagel, and memorably filmed herself going out to dinner with her family and, when they ordered dessert, she made a point of asking for a side of vegetables instead. It was like how a non-anorexic might (wrongly) imagine someone with anorexia would act. And very reminiscent of how Ruby/Erimentha (again wrongly) thought people would recognize her as a child prodigy if she memorized lots of stuff, always put her hand up in class like first year Hermione, reminded the teacher to set homework, and sneered at those who were interested in tv and make-up.

The trouble is that after flirting with anorexia for a year or two, she really does seem to have developed an ED.
personally, as messed up as this will sound (and which now, years later, i realize), when i was around the age of 12-13 i was "wannarexic" (wanting to be anorexic, as the coined internet term well describes). i did things that ruby has done. i read books about it, i learned about it, tried restricting (but was bad at it) and my daily life revolved around anorexia.
myself, i would say i did it more for the fact that i was insecure about my body and admired the way anorexic girls looked, but i can definitely see how someone like ruby might actually admire their absolute organization and determination instead, and want to be like them.
luckily, i was able to snap out of it after about 9 months, and never got to actually developing an ed (i now have a good relationship with food), but if someone pursues this want long enough (as ruby might??) they can surely develop an actual ed, imo.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.