Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New here, hello!, but I was just wondering why she doesn't try to get back to her schooldays in the sense that she could maybe work at some school (preferably her own old school, because that appears to be the stuff of magic to her) as a teacher or matron or whatever, or at some other boarding school? Trying to think like Ruby does, difficult but still, this would actually make sense... She could pretend to be a schoolgirl for ever...
Or, would this require too much real life planning and adulting?

Reactions: 6
New here, hello!, but I was just wondering why she doesn't try to get back to her schooldays in the sense that she could maybe work at some school (preferably her own old school, because that appears to be the stuff of magic to her) as a teacher or matron or whatever, or at some other boarding school? Trying to think like Ruby does, difficult but still, this would actually make sense... She could pretend to be a schoolgirl for ever...
Hi, welcome to the thread!

She's probably aware that the vast majority of schoolchildren don't have the same attitude she did - she's shown a lot of disdain for her peers in a lot of different ways. Being a teacher is definitely harder to romanticise than studying by yourself, and definitely requires a huge amount of adulting that she's nowhere near mature enough to accomplish.

Reactions: 24
No way she’s taking a lower paid job like a teaching assistant at her old school, she earns far more via YouTube/Instagram
She probably wouldn’t be very good with children….

Reactions: 12
True, I mean I'm not saying this would be a good idea because she'd run into all kinds of problems that her childlike brain can't comprehend right now (like money, actual responsibilities, taking care of kids, earning a teaching degree, horrible protocols, realising the aesthetic of school isn't really life etc...) but I meant from her point of view something like this might make sense

Also, I just came to this idea because I can't really imagine her in any job, you know? What do you see her doing, if she'd work at all and not just live off mummy and daddy's money for ever?

Reactions: 4
True, I mean I'm not saying this would be a good idea because she'd run into all kinds of problems that her childlike brain can't comprehend right now (like money, actual responsibilities, taking care of kids, earning a teaching degree, horrible protocols...) but I meant from her point of view something like this might make sense

Also, I just came to this idea because I can't really imagine her in any job, you know? What do you see her doing, if she'd work at all and not just live off mummy and daddy's money for ever?
But this is why she started YouTube, she has made £££ off it, why would she slump it with the riff raff?! Plus she owns her own home which a tenant has been in so she hasn’t had to pay anything for that

Reactions: 7
But this is why she started YouTube, she has made £££ off it, why would she slump it with the riff raff?! Plus she owns her own home which a tenant has been in so she hasn’t had to pay anything for that
Again, true. Guess it's just hard for me to imagine people actually live like this and don't have to work

Reactions: 6
Again, true. Guess it's just hard for me to imagine people actually live like this and don't have to work
Even if you take money and the need to work out of the equation, why wouldn’t you want to contribute to society or at least have others to talk to outside of mummy and daddy? Can you really be that self absorbed???

Looks like she deleted her grimacing Insta post of her trying to convince people to buy online theatre tickets.

Reactions: 2
She'd have to deal with all kinds of kids, too. Even kids who gasp don't like studying!

Reactions: 5
speaking as a teacher, i reckon she'd (maybe - i went to public school lol) only be able to work in posh private schools. i'm from aus and i think public (i think they're called state schools in the uk - im referring to government funded schools) here are similar to the uk in terms of the range of students that go through public schooling. i truly believe she wouldn't be able to cope working with kids from lower economic backgrounds, naughty kids, kids who don't like school/the school system doesn't work for them etc etc. teaching is a really really though job and should 100% not be romanticised

Reactions: 16
Ruby could only cope with a job in teaching if her class was the one out of Anne of Green Gables. Both state and private school systems would eat her alive in different ways.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I've been watching some of her older videos and christ the change in her is so, so sad. She's definitely done a lot worthy of criticism, but she genuinely seems lost and unhappy nowadays. It's unfortunate as I used to look up to her, yet at 4 years her junior I'm realising how unhealthy her behaviours have become. Watching her videos from when she was 16-19 really makes the sadness of the whole debacle set in.

She's an unfortunate product of her coddled upbringing, and it's a shame because in her first 2 years of uni (Philosophy and then her first year of English) she came across as gradually becoming more mature and adjusted, and now that's completely disappeared. I have no idea how she is going to continue coping this year, let alone when she graduates.

It's sad to say, but I have just applied to uni for English (including Oxbridge) and have used her as an example of what not to do when it comes to adjusting to university: sticking out the homesickness, not getting wound up over Oxbridge and pulling myself together as a soon-to-be young adult. It's just such a shame that she has come to this.

Reactions: 30
Was it the pandemic that made her regress or had she started with childlike/ED behaviors before it?

Reactions: 1
Was it the pandemic that made her regress or had she started with childlike/ED behaviors before it?
She was already reading books about eating disorders/explaining small portions to her viewers before, but it wasn’t until she came home that it got worse.

Looks like she deleted her grimacing Insta post of her trying to convince people to buy online theatre tickets.
She took it off her grid but it’s still in her reels, together with the previous one where she co-opts innocent chickens into her melodramatic posing.

Reactions: 8
I reckon it’s her trying (and failing) to come to terms with growing up and becoming a “woman”. I heard a quote somewhere along the lines of “you aren’t born a woman, you grow into one.” Her ED is probably a response to feeling lack of control and potentially also to keep a childlike figure, since children have no responsibility and can live in fairyland 😅

Reactions: 3
I don't see her getting a real job after uni, at all. She'll probably turn this channel into a "history" channel and indulge her Victorian cosplays to her heart's content.

If I were her (meaning if I could afford my own place at that age or if my parents had bought me a cottage or a flat) I'd be itching to move and make the most of it. How many uni graduates have their own house? She has a world of privilege she's not taking advantage of. Living alone would be good for her, but I don't see it happening. I think she'll be living with her parents for a long long time, if she continues like this.

I have absolutely all the sympathy for any adult who are still living with parents, I know it cannot be avoided sometimes due to health, finances, delicate issues etc., but I think Ruby just wants a safe space where she can pretend to be a pupil at an old boarding school. I'm surprised she hasn't tried or spoken about this so called 'reality shifting' nonsense that is making rounds on YouTube, it sounds right up her alley.

Reactions: 15
Ruby could only cope with a job in teaching if her class was the one out of Anne of Green Gables. Both state and private school systems would eat her alive in different ways.
100%. I've taught in both state and private schools and the posh kids can be just as much a handful as the poor ones, but in different ways. With private school kids you've got a sense of entitlement and 'you are beneath me' and 'but Mummy says I can do whatever I like' that isn't normally present in state school kids. PLUS the parents in private schools can be a nightmare too, in a "we are literally paying your salary so you have to do what we want" sort of way. Rubicon would crumple instantly.

Reactions: 9
Ruby would not survive even one day as a teacher, she has such a weak character and teenagers can just smell fear and insecurity lol.

Reactions: 24
She was already reading books about eating disorders/explaining small portions to her viewers before, but it wasn’t until she came home that it got worse.
Yes, months before the pandemic she was putting the anorexia books on her Goodreads, calling attention to the books in her videos, filming herself eating only half a bagel, and memorably filmed herself going out to dinner with her family and, when they ordered dessert, she made a point of asking for a side of vegetables instead. It was like how a non-anorexic might (wrongly) imagine someone with anorexia would act. And very reminiscent of how Ruby/Erimentha (again wrongly) thought people would recognize her as a child prodigy if she memorized lots of stuff, always put her hand up in class like first year Hermione, reminded the teacher to set homework, and sneered at those who were interested in tv and make-up.

The trouble is that after flirting with anorexia for a year or two, she really does seem to have developed an ED.

To be fair, I think she could probably teach (private) primary school children. But I don't think she'd be able to handle teaching secondary, for all the reasons mentioned above. I can definitely imagine her romanticising teaching haha I think she would fancy herself as a Miss Honey type person. I remember someone in the Ruby thread on another website saying that they went to the same school and that Ruby had very much tried to take on a sort of 'mentor' role with the year 7s etc that wasn't in the job description for head girl. I can imagine her working with younger kids. I think maybe she'd struggle with workplace politics (in any career) because she's so eager to be liked

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.