Ruby Granger #14 Roobee with an E, style stolen from Blakeney, busywork = productivity

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Today I'm going to be rearranging my bookshelf."

Seems simple enough.

"I'll start by drafting a plan in a notebook."

Then starts by criticising herself for drawing the rectangles too messy. The planning and perfectionism is too much.

Reactions: 10
This is so random (It comes from the fact i've been watching some iCarly clips recently). I think Nevel (that one who would 'rue the day') and Ruby would make a good couple.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm confused as to why she wants to redecorate her room. She's going to live at uni, no? I know she wants to remain frail and young but how is she going to go to school if she holes up in her bedroom all the time? (except when she's twirling around in fields). This is all a big rhetorical question that I just had to get off my chest.
Spoilers: She has no intention of living at uni another year. She's already settling in and sowing the seeds to ditch out and stay home another year.

The more confusing thing is why she's raiding the family library for books to decorate her own bookcase. Or why, if she's claiming space was an issue in her bedroom, why she didn't put this hoarded pile of books she'll never read in the big room in their house whose entire purpose is to store books. Or just donate all those books you clearly are never going to touch to the local library, Ruby.

Her parents need to tell her to duck off once in a while. Imagine if any other kid acted like this, and went to their parents and started saying things like, "Oh, mummy, daddy, I've decided that the sofa in the living room will look better in my room! And also I'm going to take the dining room chairs as they're so aesthetic! Also all your clothes are mine now!" and not getting laughed at and told to pay for their own things and clean their bleeping room for once? What a spoilt little parasite.

Sitting here trying to wonder if that makes me more or less organised than her. Of course it is more meaningless busy work because she changed it all anyway once she’d put the books on the shelf!
I did not study English beyond GCSE so I am probably a lot more out of place here than anyone else but when I moved flats recently I grabbed my books, sorted them into vague categories and just put them onto the bookcase. It did not take longer than 10 mins (I have considerably fewer books). My point being - she could have chucked all her books on the floor, put them into genres, categories, whatever, put them onto the case (shelf, sorry), then made it look nice - it would look the same in the end and take 1/10th the time.
It'd take a lot off work to be less organised than her. She creates the illusion of organisation. She is in no way organised. As you say, her plan was more time wasted on busywork that served no purpose in the end.

Your plan is how most people would do it, I think. I know that's how I usually reorganise shelves - take everything off the old one, sort what I want to sell or donate into piles, and I already have a vague idea how I want the rest organised in my head, so I'll just start putting everything into general groups by genre/author, etc. and then start putting them on and rearrange on the fly where I feel like.

It says a lot about how empty her mind is if she can't even retain the basic idea of where she wants books on a bookcase without drafting a map.

To her credit (I guess), she seems to have mostly forgotten about Erimentally Deranged. She puts it in her affiliate links in her description, which is usually out of date, but that's about it.
Erimentally deranged made me cackle, thanks for that.

I do wonder how she feels watching other studytubers getting book deals when her whole shtick is english lit/creative writing. Some part of her must be jealous that she’s never been offered the same but even study tips/uni guides feel overdone now and I doubt Ruby has insights that would help the average students who would buy those type of books.

Ruby Granger #15 Her brain's a shrivelled husk, full of misused words and Victorian dust.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-07 um 22.42.01.png

the state of their "home library" :censored: that red armchair/sofa looks like it's definitely seen better times and why is there kitchen roll on top of the clutter? This isn't light academia, it's just filth.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Erimentally deranged made me cackle, thanks for that.

I do wonder how she feels watching other studytubers getting book deals when her whole shtick is english lit/creative writing. Some part of her must be jealous that she’s never been offered the same but even study tips/uni guides feel overdone now and I doubt Ruby has insights that would help the average students who would buy those type of books.
In fairness, none of the other studytuber books out there are helpful, it's just more toxic productivity and the disconnected ramblings of self-involved people, so Ruby's would be no different (although I'm sure there'd be entire unrelated chapters on Victorian clothing shoehorned in).

I imagine she would've had very little problem getting something published if she put even a little effort into it and it was even remotely marketable to a wider audience. Quality isn't really an issue with these vanity books, they just want something with an established fanbase with some amount of crossover appeal for people who have no idea who Ruby is.

But she's just so lazy and stunted when it comes to creative endeavours. I think she only finished Erimenthusiastically Narcissistic because it was mostly biography with loads of wish fulfilment and fabricated bullying piled on (and even then, she clearly spent zero time on proofreading and editing). She's supposedly been writing multiple books per week for years. None of it's ever been finished or seen the light of day. There's no creative drive and energy there, it's just another performative thing to tick off on a list every day.

It's possible she's never wanted to write a study guide type of book, and that's fair enough. She's absolutely missed the window on that now. But she keeps talking about how much she wants to be a fiction author and then flits from one half-baked idea to the next, never finishing anything. She missed her chance to get a YA book traditionally published by leveraging her fame at its peak like other YouTubers have (and no sane publisher would touch her work on its own merits considering how sloppy and unrelatable she and her writing is), and she's not really embraced the opportunities that self-publishing offers either.

Realistically, I think writing (like reading, Youtube, academia, and everything else she claims an interest in) is just another thing she talks about because she likes the appearance of doing it, but has no passion, creative drive, organisation or talent for at all. I wouldn't be shocked if she's wallowing in self-pity because her peers are getting bigger opportunities, but she only has herself to blame for that. If she'd put more work into YouTube, growing her brand or completing her creative projects instead of endless Notion lists that serve no purpose, she'd have all the same opportunities herself.

Reactions: 16
"I'll start by drafting a plan in a notebook."
1628373028200.png

She has an entire section for 'pretty books'... you can't make this tit up. Just going to pretend my dyslexic gay ass didn't read it as 'boobs' the first time, nope, nothing to see here.

Not to mention... 'white classics'?? Is this some literary term I'm not smart enough to understand :ROFLMAO:
(Update: no, she literally means white classics, as in ones with white spines. Who'd've thought??)

It's so clear that she's only interested in the aesthetics first, the views and praise second, and barely at all in the actual reading part of this whole thing. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's irrationally aggravating to watch her get so much praise for her intelligence when she barely bothers to comment on any actual literature ever.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
So another weekend another night shift will Ruby's new video send me to sleep or keep me going

Reactions: 2
View attachment 702463

She has an entire section for 'pretty books'... you can't make this tit up. Just going to pretend my dyslexic gay ass didn't read it as 'boobs' the first time, nope, nothing to see here.

Not to mention... 'white classics'?? Is this some literary term I'm not smart enough to understand :ROFLMAO:
(Update: no, she literally means white classics, as in ones with white spines. Who'd've thought??)

It's so clear that she's only interested in the aesthetics first, the views and praise second, and barely at all in the actual reading part of this whole thing. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's irrationally aggravating to watch her get so much praise for her intelligence when she barely bothers to comment on any actual literature ever.
I mean, her handwriting's barely legible - I thought it said "Prerry Boom" at first.

And for someone who only cares about the aesthetic appeal of her books, she doesn't take care of them at all. The whole video she's just violently hurling them about, tugging dustjackets off and throwing them on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Im feeling angry that as a 'studytuber' and Lit student (is this correct?) she is shallow enough to have a separate category for 'Pretty Books'. How pathetic. So childish. So childish in fact that I was shook when she pointed to A Little Princess and said 'this is the copy that I got for my 21st birthday'. I momentarily forgot she is already 21 years old, even though I watched her unwrap her 21st birthday gifts not long ago.

Reactions: 15
88.jpg

Jesus Yoga-Posing Christ, Ruby, adjust your bleeping bedsheet.

Every video it gets worse and worse, and it's becoming scarily apparent that she probably never changes her sheets, let alone adjusts them to fit the mattress.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
the new bookcase tour is up, I'm 50 seconds in and the number of times she says 'bookshelf' has already given me palpitations lmao

okay as a fellow lit student + bookworm it winds me up that her priority for a new bookcase is a bunch of old and aesthetic books she's never going to read. As far as I know she doesn't really read much Dickens, but she's wasting precious space on her shelves because they look nice?? My 3 bookcases are all currently double stacked, with piles of extra books on top of the bookcases, on my desk, on the floor and 2 full cardboard boxes of more books there's no space to even unpack. Surely the point of a bookcase is to store the books you have actually read or intend to read? It's in her bedroom too, it's not like she's having any guests up any time soon she needs to attempt to impress (have I ever been guilty of putting stuff in my room with the sole and pathetic hope of impressing boys? no... 😬)

"I don't want to go outside because my room is a bit messy" Eh????

"pick de resistance" It's pièce, Ruby, pronounced "pee-ess". She really struggles with French, huh
I can't find the part where she says pick de resistance. Is it in the latest video?
EDIT: lol found it. omg. Its right when she points out her 21st birthday present book, A Little Princess. No wonder I missed it. In an earlier post above I mentioned that it totally took me out of my body when she reminded us that she is 21 years old. Pick de resistance. Cringe!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
She needs to get a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet
I don't think it'd make a lot of difference with how sloppy and disgusting she is. She'd probably leave a flat sheet just draped diagonally across her on her mattress and call it a day.

If she can't summon the energy to adjust a fitted sheet in the morning, she's beyond hope.

Reactions: 8
I can't find the part where she says pick de resistance. Is it in the latest video?
EDIT: lol found it. omg. Its right when she points out her 21st birthday present book, A Little Princess. No wonder I missed it. In an earlier post above I mentioned that it totally took me out of my body when she reminded us that she is 21 years old. Pick de resistance. Cringe!
It's at 11:27, for anyone else who doesn't want to go through the whole video!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
And she says it directly after talking about her "candlestick holders" and saying "this shelf (actually meaning shelf for once) is my favourite of the two bookshelves (actually meaning bookcases.)" Her mind is a barren wasteland.

She also made a whole map and then somehow ended up with multiple shelves of "classics", none of which were situated next to each other.

I did spot a copy of Erimentally Deficient though:

99.jpg

It's been dumped in amongst the blank notebooks and folders. Even Ruby doesn't consider this literature or a thing to be proud of.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Okay, so I admit, in my bookcase in my living room I do “co-ordinate” somewhat. And by that I mean that I have the top shelf for my Oxford and Cambridge classics with black/white spines, the next shelf is pretty much all purples/blues/pastel colours, then down to bolder primary colours and the bottom shelves for bigger hardbacks (ft. some special signed editions that I treasure like children!)… please don’t judge me 😂

However, when I did this I did NOT draw a plan! I literally took all my books off my old bookcase and put them on the floor. I quickly noticed that there were quite distinct colours and that there was a fair bit of purple/blue jumping out at me! I then just spent one rainy afternoon last summer arranging and rearranging the books onto the different shelves, trial & error until it just clicked. I saw it as a creative task, not knowing quite how it would look at the end!

I realise this may seem trivial to some, but for me when I spend a lot of time in my living space (it’s also my dining room/study) I find it quite soothing to have this “rainbow” effect. Yet before I did any of this, I sorted through my books to work out which ones I actually wanted to keep; namely, those I still on my to-read list and others that I knew I would go back to. So all those books were there, first and foremost, for the words inside them and not the “aesthetic.”

And that’s what I can’t reconcile with Ruby’s content. Going into the library just to get more books, when she already doesn’t have enough storage for the ones she has in her room! Its similar to how she’ll go into a bookshop and always comment on covers, not the blurb or even theorising what the book may be about based on the cover… it’s so surface level.

In many bookshops now there will be little notes by certain books, giving an excerpt and recommendation. If Ruby were to write these, I can just picture it “the cover is so aesthetic! It will look wonderful on your bookshelf.”

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Okay, so I admit, in my bookcase in my living room I do “co-ordinate” somewhat. And by that I mean that I have the top shelf for my Oxford and Cambridge classics with black/white spines, the next shelf is pretty much all purples/blues/pastel colours, then down to bolder primary colours and the bottom shelves for bigger hardbacks (ft. some special signed editions that I treasure like children!)… please don’t judge me 😂

However, when I did this I did NOT draw a plan! I literally took all my books off my old bookcase and put them on the floor. I quickly noticed that there were quite distinct colours and that there was a fair bit of purple/blue jumping out at me! I then just spent one rainy afternoon last summer arranging and rearranging the books onto the different shelves, trial & error until it just clicked. I saw it as a creative task, not knowing quite how it would look at the end!

I realise this may seem trivial to some, but for me when I spend a lot of time in my living space (it’s also my dining room/study) I find it quite soothing to have this “rainbow” effect. Yet before I did any of this, I sorted through my books to work out which ones I actually wanted to keep; namely, those I still on my to-read list and others that I knew I would go back to. So all those books were there, first and foremost, for the words inside them and not the “aesthetic.”

And that’s what I can’t reconcile with Ruby’s content. Going into the library just to get more books, when she already doesn’t have enough storage for the ones she has in her room! Its similar to how she’ll go into a bookshop and always comment on covers, not the blurb or even theorising what the book may be about based on the cover… it’s so surface level.

In many bookshops now there will be little notes by certain books, giving an excerpt and recommendation. If Ruby were to write these, I can just picture it “the cover is so aesthetic! It will look wonderful on your bookshelf.”
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with arranging bookcases and such to be aesthetically pleasing. It's when that's all that they are that it raises an eyebrow. I arrange some of my bookcases, Blu-ray collection, etc. to be nice to look at, whether they're arranged by book size, spine colour, etc. But I also only have things on my shelf that are my all-time favourites, that I revisit often or am going to read/watch at some point in the near future. It's not only nice for me to look at and makes the room more enjoyable to be in, but it's all things I love and will use. Anything that I eventually don't end up bothering with gets donated or passed along to family.

We all know well enough by now that Ruby barely reads anything, and when she does, she's admitted to skimming through it before. I don't believe for one second that Ruby will ever read most (if any) of the books on these shelves, and what she has, she'll likely never read again. She claimed she needed an extra bookcase for all the books she owns, yet she had to pull things randomly from the family library to fill her bookcases. (And the irony of Ruby Granger cheerfully grabbing a book called The Selfish Gene off the shelf while she's stealing stacks of books from her family to claim as her own? Hilarious.)

Why not put all her books in the room in their house that is there specifically for storing books instead of putting more bookcases she didn't need in? She's claimed recently that she spends too much time in her room and her bedroom is short on space (a blatant lie to justify buying a child's bed, but still). Rearrange that embarrassing mess of a library and spend more time downstairs with the family, while freeing up space in your room. Problem solved, Ruby! But that's obviously not her problem.

She's stacked her bookcases with "classics" she'll never read, with one small shelf of children's books, which we know is all she actually reads. This entire room is for aesthetic value only based on the styles, setups and decor of other people, not a reflection of who she is, what her genuine interests are or what she needs or wants to have around. I'd have more respect for her if both bookcases were just full of kids' books and pictures of herself, at least then she'd be being honest about the things she loves.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Why do her notes say Classics = Dickens? how does that make sense?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.