Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wouldn't be surprised if she uses something like Grammarly to proofread her work. The studytubers are always advertising it so it would make sense.

Reactions: 4
I’m reiterating something that others have said before - if your tutor or lecturer has office hours, go to them! Seriously. It’s a thing Ruby does right IMO. Because 1) you’re paying for that degree and education, get your money’s worth and 2) most Academics want to talk about their areas of expertise with interested students and scholars. It’s why they became Academics.
But please don't go to every single one like Ruby, I'd get so fed up if the same student who was consistently getting firsts was taking up my time when I could be helping someone who is getting 2:2s or lower improve. Watching people improve is one of my favourite parts of teaching, I love when you can see how hard someone's worked and what feedback they've taken on.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Exactly this. That’s why I feel the grading system doesn’t work because it mostly applauds rewriting what others already wrote without any original thinking - which Ruby lacks.
It doesn't. At least at my UK uni it doesn't. In order to get a first, especially a mid-high 70 you need original thought. Be that interpreting something in a way that hasn't been thought of, or figuring out a new way of theoretical thought (I didn't do English Lit so I can't put it in those terms). The truth is, Ruby might be better at expressing herself on paper than you think, especially when she has the chance to re-write things. No doubt, when someone spends like 16hrs a day studying and writing their coursework/exams they're going to get firsts. The key thing is, is that everyone in her cohort has the chance to do so, and if they did the same routine as Ruby a few of them would get the same marks. So, is Ruby exceptionally dumb? Probably not. Are her marks given to her because she's probably better at putting things on paper and editing them so they make sense, as well as spending hours studying? Yeah, probably. Is she exceptionally clever? No. Not at all.

Also, the 24hr exams are not the norm. If exams had gone on as usual, I reckon her marks would have been lower, as I don't think she's quite capable of producing first class worthy content in the usual 2-3hr exam time. I do think she'd probably be able to manage a 2:1 though, as like it or not, she's not stupid (if anything she is able to learn mark schemes and

But Exeter is considered a good university, I know several people who went there for courses other than English Lit, and all of them came out of it with good degrees and have achieved decent careers afterwards.

Reactions: 13
But please don't go to every single one like Ruby, I'd get so fed up if the same student who was consistently getting firsts was taking up my time when I could be helping someone who is getting 2:2s or lower improve.
There's definitely a balance between making sure you are not struggling alone needlessly and taking all of your teacher's time. One goal of uni is also imo to achieve a certain form of independence. Yes, we are all perpetual learners, and asking for help is a form of maturity as it shows that you know your limits, however, always running to someone to get your ideas approved will only cause you to start second-guessing your every decision.

Once you're working, you can't really afford to "fail", your employer will expect constant results from you, so uni is a great place to experiment and to get to know your limitations. By trying nothing by yourself, you are only making it more difficult for you in the long run. I've learned the most from the assignments where I got my worst grades, and I wouldn't want to exchange them for a pristine grade report where I stayed safe and learned nothing.

Reactions: 3
The fact is there are many different ways to be intelligent, and there are many different ways to be dumb. Ruby can be both. All of us can. I know I am both intelligent and stupid in various ways, you all will be too. I am not surprised in the slightest that she's getting consistently high marks considering it's her whole life. I don't understand why people don't think she deserves her grades, you may dislike her but you can't deny the effort she puts in, however much of that is over the top and fussy and time inefficient. Ruby is intelligent. She's getting better grades than most of us. But we know this is because she has a seemingly very poor life balance. I know someone has said in regards to essay writing that being able to edit and write out other peoples opinions isn't exceptionally clever, but actually it is. This is why it's a degree. It's a valuable life skill and something many people use in their careers. It's also just one type of intelligence, sure. Ruby isn't flexible, but actually synthesising arguments from other people and communicating effectively in terms of structure and eloquence is hard. I feel like people are becoming blinded by hatred of her and are doing mental gymnastics to explain why nothing she does has any value (like her grades) which isn't just a bit too far, but also is insulting to the rest of us who study her degree and go to her university.

I'm mostly just glad students from Exeter have been given a chance to defend themselves and their universities reputation. I'm personally getting a bit sick of hearing people tell us literature students who don't go to Oxbridge that we have it easy and the way we are assessed and graded isn't valuable. It's just feeding this ridiculous stereotype that English Literature is an easy subject and has no use in the real world.

Rant over lol

• Heart
Reactions: 45
We have a booktuber thread here with lots of suggestions in the last few pages (and actually all the way through)! https://tattle.life/threads/booktubers.2805/
I've only really hung out on the Ruby thread. Thanks for the link. Time to go and discover some more booktubers!

I wouldn't be surprised if she uses something like Grammarly to proofread her work. The studytubers are always advertising it so it would make sense.
I was interested in it a million years ago when it first came out. As a (Southern) British English speaker it was an utter nightmare as they only proofed US English. That may have changed now, but if it hasn't then writing essays using it might have a negative impact on a user's marks if they're expected to use BE instead of US English.

Reactions: 2
Wtf is she doing?
This is the face a four-year-old makes when asked to say "Cheese!" in a family photo. This is not the face an excited adult makes.

Edit after watching the video: Oh, and awkwardly lifting the head to show off her contracted neck. Get off the internet until you've learned to be a decent human being, Ruby.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
I don't know if this could be acceptable/allowed/common for an English Lit student in the UK, but is it possible she might get help from an older student or a tutor that she pays to proofread her work or something like that?
In my country, if you're struggling or if you have a lot of time and money on your hands and want to excel (which would be Ruby's case), it's quite common to get a tutor to help you prepare your exams (my boyfriend for example is doing a PhD in Mathematics and he helps a few high-school and uni students prepare maths or physics exams). However our uni system is not based on essays so idk if this is something that could be considered useful or even allowed or if it would qualify as plagiarism.

I am a bit baffled that someone who comes across as (quite frankly) such a dumbass on her Youtube channel (which is something that she has 100% control over, you'd think she would show an idealized version of herself and her life) is consistently getting good grades. I mean, of course you can be academically intelligent and be dumb in other areas, but after Erimentha and "francious" and all her malapropisms and hearing her talk about books she doesn't seem academically intelligent either lol. So I do think that maybe she's not showing the uglier parts of her marks, or that she spends an ungodly amount of time proofreading her work or gets help from someone else. It would be interesting to see her first drafts.

Reactions: 7
I don't know if this could be acceptable/allowed/common for an English Lit student in the UK, but is it possible she might get help from an older student or a tutor that she pays to proofread her work or something like that?
In my country, if you're struggling or if you have a lot of time and money on your hands and want to excel (which would be Ruby's case), it's quite common to get a tutor to help you prepare your exams (my boyfriend for example is doing a PhD in Mathematics and he helps a few high-school and uni students prepare maths or physics exams). However our uni system is not based on essays so idk if this is something that could be considered useful or even allowed or if it would qualify as plagiarism.
I've never heard of someone employing a tutor, not at university level. Though I have helped students in the lower years, and have received help from students in higher years. There is a plagiarism checker which would pick up if she were using significant amounts of other people's essays though.

Reactions: 2
This is the face a four-year-old makes when asked to say "Cheese!" in a family photo. This is not the face an excited adult makes.

Edit after watching the video: Oh, and awkwardly lifting the head to show off her contracted neck. Get off the internet until you've learned to be a decent human being, Ruby.
Sometimes I'll make this face for photos when I pose with someone for fun. But I know what you mean. She's serious with it and thinks it looks nice.

Reactions: 7

I am a bit baffled that someone who comes across as (quite frankly) such a dumbass on her Youtube channel (which is something that she has 100% control over, you'd think she would show an idealized version of herself and her life) is consistently getting good grades. I mean, of course you can be academically intelligent and be dumb in other areas, but after Erimentha and "francious" and all her malapropisms and hearing her talk about books she doesn't seem academically intelligent either lol. So I do think that maybe she's not showing the uglier parts of her marks, or that she spends an ungodly amount of time proofreading her work or gets help from someone else. It would be interesting to see her first drafts.
This may be considered fraudulent by the university.

Reactions: 5
Sometimes I'll make this face for photos when I pose with someone for fun. But I know what you mean. She's serious with it and thinks it looks nice.
Yeah, if she were doing a fun, silly pose it'd be one thing, but this is like her trademark grimace "smile" - she actually thinks this conveys human excitment.

And the awkwardness of her poses only highlights that she mostly does them to bodycheck - normal people don't shove their chin in the air and accentuate their neck to show how excited they are.

Reactions: 10
Oh god, a Victorian tea party video. That she worked on for MONTHS. 🙄

also completely ot my cat gave birth to four lovely, magnificent, very much planned and long-awaited kittens yesterday evening. She has also decided that if she has to stay in the bedroom and look after the babies, then so do I. I rely solely on Tattle for my entertainment.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

also completely ot my cat gave birth to four lovely, magnificent, very much planned and long-awaited kittens yesterday evening. She has also decided that if she has to stay in the bedroom and look after the babies, then so do I. I rely solely on Tattle for my entertainment.
Congratulations to your cat!

75 minutes until the video goes live. Who's psyched for it? Codeword in the chat is "francious"

Ruby really does look like an aged maiden great-aunt in the thumbnail

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Yeah because the Victorian dinner party video was great and not awkward at all lmao
Congrats about your cat ♡

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.