Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone give this moron of a human being an etiquette book. Lots of females receive pearl necklaces anywhere from age 16 up, but they also know when, where and how it is considered appropriate to wear them. You don't drape yourself in pearls when you are hanging out in your bedroom with books, playing some idiotic character while over-dramatizing your reading. Ruby is never going to get a single thing right in her life. Is she going to wear them to classes this upcoming semester? lmao She is a sad story.

Reactions: 6
Someone give this moron of a human being an etiquette book. Lots of females receive pearl necklaces anywhere from age 16 up, but they also know when, where and how it is considered appropriate to wear them. You don't drape yourself in pearls when you are hanging out in your bedroom with books, playing some idiotic character while over-dramatizing your reading. Ruby is never going to get a single thing right in her life. Is she going to wear them to classes this upcoming semester? lmao She is a sad story.
Is that a thing? Considering her usual dungarees / Oliver Cromwell collar outfit combos, I think she is actually dressed quite normally there 😅. Plus I feel like people wear pearls anywhere these days, they’re quite versatile and go with a lot of outfits lol, even casual outfits that you’d wear to uni.

Reactions: 18
I know it's cruel to say this, but she looks like Gollum from Lord Of The Rings 🤐
Screenshot_20210709-172655~2.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
On the bullying...I do agree that Ruby has a massive blind spot for how Erimentha puts her "peers" and sibling down in order to build herself up. And she doesn't realize how this can be on the verge of bullying and at the very least is unkind behaviour. Ruby thinks she wrote Erimentha to have one flaw: that she's too naive to realize how jealous others are of her. I believe she actually said this around publication. Unfortunately, Erimentha's peers and the readers can see what neither Ruby/Erimentha can. Erimentha's flaw is that she is obsessed with people seeing her as a child prodigy (#notlikeotherkids) and sees every situation - in the classroom, with her family, even at the hospital or shops - as a test to prove herself and gain validation.

And this often results in her putting others down, even if mostly only in her narration to the reader (the first version of Erimentha was a lot more directly nasty, I think) and constantly striving to show off her knowledge and conscientiousness. Ruby calls out bullies in the "how dare you?!" video for mocking a friend for liking books, but she sees nothing wrong with Erimentha's constant mental sneering at others for being interested in other things. She also probably still thinks Erimentha was being kind by "apologising" to the teacher in front of everyone on the first day for Kimberl(e)y and her friends' behaviour. Rather than what Erimentha was really doing, aka making sure the difference between her and the other girls was marked by the teacher.

However, I'm going to disagree with others here: what Kimberl(e)y then did to Erimentha was definitely bullying, even physical assault, and Erimentha did not deserve it, no matter how obnoxious she was from the very start. At one point Kimberl(e)y has her friends hold down a struggling Erimentha while she cuts off a section of her hair. It seems quite harrowing, and if Ruby went through that, I feel very sorry for her. Unless people think Ruby made all the physical parts up? I'd be surprised in light of how clearly autobiographical every single other element in Erimentha is.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
However, I'm going to disagree with others here: what Kimberl(e)y then did to Erimentha was definitely bullying, even physical assault, and Erimentha did not deserve it, no matter how obnoxious she was from the very start. At one point Kimberl(e)y has her friends hold down a struggling Erimentha while she cuts off a section of her hair. It seems quite harrowing, and if Ruby went through that, I feel very sorry for her. Unless people think Ruby made all the physical parts up? I'd be surprised in light of how clearly autobiographical every single other element in Erimentha is.
I 100% believe that none of that extreme bullying described in the book happened. I believe the book was autobiographical up to the point where she changed things for what she believed would garner sympathy. Hence Erimenthralled by Academia being a lowly scholarship student and the bullying being embellished wildly for dramatic effect.

It doesn't tally with the very vague and sedate "bullying" she describes everywhere else as what she experienced. The day in the life of someone being bullied seems like a dry run for Erimentha (right down to the teacher's name), and the "bullying" there amounted to a mean text and a note that was more polite than nasty.

I highly doubt that a teacher would fail to notice a student wandering into class with huge chunks of hair missing or that her parents wouldn't notice, or that a student would go through that and then forget for several years that they were bullied.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
I 100% believe that none of that extreme bullying described in the book happened. I believe the book was autobiographical up to the point where she changed things for what she believed would garner sympathy. Hence Erimenthralled by Academia being a lowly scholarship student and the bullying being embellished wildly for dramatic effect.

It doesn't tally with the very vague and sedate "bullying" she describes everywhere else as what she experienced. The day in the life of someone being bullied seems like a dry run for Erimentha, and the "bullying" there amounted to a mean text and a note that was more polite than nasty.

I highly doubt that a teacher would fail to notice a student wandering into class with huge chunks of hair missing or that her parents wouldn't notice, or that a student would go through that and then forget for several years that they were bullied.
Yeah given she apparently didn't realise she'd been bullied til later, it seems pretty unlikely there was anything physical... Plus I went to a school like Ruby's and yeah there's meanness and psychological abuse, but I'm not sure violence is that common in private all girls schools. I reckon the physical violence is all totally invented. The other stuff I reckon probably happened on some level - basic meanness - and over the years Ruby's built it up into something it wasn't. I think it didn't actually happen, but I think Ruby genuinely believes it did at this point. Somewhat concerningly she's built it into her personality that she was bullied, and has also made it part of her brand (which seems vaguely despicable to me), to the extent that I think she does genuinely think that she was really badly bullied. People have a remarkable capacity for misremembering things/totally inventing stuff and completely believing it just through the power of suggestion. I'm sure we've all done it at some point, not deliberately, but just not to this extent.

Reactions: 11
Just doing some internet nosing and found Ruby’s old askfm she hasn’t used in a while, think she used to have it linked in her video descriptions… idk if people have shared it on here before but a few errrr interesting posts 🤣 forgive the dodgy collages View attachment 655368View attachment 655369View attachment 655370View attachment 655371View attachment 655372
not sure if this is Ruby’s actual account, this question from a year ago asks her age and she says she’s 17? So either someones pretending to be her or she’s lying about being younger, wouldn’t put that past her tbh

EDIT: ignore me, I see now it says over a year ago! though in some other asks she talks about finishing year 12/13 ? I guess it doesn’t tell you which dates the asks were posted

C48D9F08-1930-4830-AFC4-8E306C1631EA.jpeg

Reactions: 5

It doesn't tally with the very vague and sedate "bullying" she describes everywhere else as what she experienced. The day in the life of someone being bullied seems like a dry run for Erimentha, and the "bullying" there amounted to a mean text and a note that was more polite than nasty.

Have to agree, I think there’s a massive element of wish-fulfilment in Erimentha, especially with Erimentha being given the opportunity by the Headmistress to decide whether Kimberley/Kimberly/whatever is expelled or not. I cannot honestly believe that any school, private or not, would leave it up to the students to decide who gets to stay and who gets booted out (well maybe Summerhill but definitely not Lady Whatever’s Institution for Wayward Girls, or whatever the school In Cornwall/Devon/Buckinghamshire/Godknowswhere is called).

I think that this was Ruby wishing herself into the position of Lady Bountiful, graciously playing the bigger person and kindly bestowing her permission to allow Kimberley to stay in school. It’s just sheer Sara Crewe wish-fulfilment. The whole storyline of the book is nonsense - in real life, and especially nowadays and in a school like Ruby’s, parents could and would take legal action against the school for allowing that sort of stuff to happen - iirc the incident with the needle/pin happens on school grounds and is technically assault. There’s no way they’d let the students sort it out themselves, or indeed, given Erimentha’s immaculate record-keeping, that they could justify doing that.

Reactions: 19
What happened?
I asked her why she was saying no holidays will happen abroad this year when there is countries on the green list and travel is looking at opening up by next month
And also asked her if she meal plans to reduce food waste by bulk cooking

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
I asked her why she was saying no holidays will happen abroad this year when there is countries on the green list and travel is looking at opening up by next month
And also asked her if she meal plans to reduce food wate by bulk cooking
And she blocked you for that? God shes so odd

• Heart
Reactions: 19
And also asked her if she meal plans to reduce food wate by bulk cooking
Presenting her with facts and environmental concerns?! She'll have the police on the case already for this level of bullying!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
And she blocked you for that? God shes so odd
I know I personally have nothing again meal planning I do it myself otherwise the weekly asda shop gets expensive as I get distracted by all the nice stuff as I wonder round and end up just buying a load off rubbish and nothing to make dinner with

Reactions: 13
Yeah given she apparently didn't realise she'd been bullied til later, it seems pretty unlikely there was anything physical... Plus I went to a school like Ruby's and yeah there's meanness and psychological abuse, but I'm not sure violence is that common in private all girls schools. I reckon the physical violence is all totally invented.
From what I know of the school, the girls they produce are all meek and mild (again I know it semi well) it’s known for passive individuals

Reactions: 3

It doesn't tally with the very vague and sedate "bullying" she describes everywhere else as what she experienced. The day in the life of someone being bullied seems like a dry run for Erimentha (right down to the teacher's name), and the "bullying" there amounted to a mean text and a note that was more polite than nasty.

Yeah I think the stuff at the start was probably based on things that happened to Ruby irl, she would be snobby and insufferable in class and then other people would try and knock her down a peg or two.
The violence that comes later in the book I really think she just made up because it literally goes from 0 to 100, and it’s so unrealistic, like shoving a needle into her arm? The police would literally be called 😩

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.