Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I dmā€™d ruby back in December for posting something that promoted bad eating habits and pro ana messages and this was her response, sheā€™s fully aware of what sheā€™s doing!!

5ABB123E-D14C-4006-9FC4-CA35C1995808.png
30B6DBD0-94E4-4084-8C4E-3B2F197F15AB.png

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
A 67 is very average here in the Netherlands, it's fine. Higher grades only matter if you want to participate in the Honours program or sometimes if you want to get in a more selective MA. No, above 85 is rarely given on exams or essays, but I still got an 89 for one of my lit exams. It is not impossible, I know people in my year got 85+ for essays. Also if her grades are that good, why didn't she apply for an honours program? At my uni, if your average is 75+ you can apply to the program.

Reactions: 4
Thatā€™s it though isnā€™t it? You choose to go to uni as an adult, if you decide not to participate thatā€™s on you. A uni shouldnā€™t be spoon feeding adults to force them to attend a class by making marks contingent in it. More seriously, I donā€™t see how they get away with that from an equalities perspective (what about neurodivergence or disabilities that may make it harder for someone to participate at the same level, like hearing or sight impairment?) Itā€™s weird to me.
At my uni we can choose to sit exams as either attending students for that course or non-attending students. Usually non-attending students have a different syllabus with more content to study for the exam because they don't attend the lectures, but otherwise there shouldn't be any difference in the grade you're going to get (you're not going to get a lower mark just because you didn't attend, for example). The reasoning for that is that people cannot attend lectures for a lot of different reasons (overlapping courses, work, maybe they have a child or a relative they need to take care of, etc). So since we're adults and we have our own lives, the university's not going to police our attendance and our participation like it's primary school. You could do the entire degree as a non-attending student if you wished to.
(For other degrees it's different, you may have a few courses with mandatory attendance, but it's pretty rare)

Reactions: 3
The whole participation score thing seems hideous, and weighted towards extroverts and people who like the sound of their own voice. I can just imagine a seminar full of people making random comments, as loudly as possible, just so other people canā€™t get a word in. In the real world you donā€™t tend to get praise for just turning up, itā€™s your outputs that matter and it seems bizarre that a uni is grading adults on whether they join in or not.
I'd never heard of a participation score before she started mentioning it in her videos. She seemed so disappointed that for one module the participation score accounted for only 10% of her overall module mark, as she'd gotten 85 there. I would bet good money that the only reason she gets such high marks in that category is because she won't stop showing off about all the extra research she's done. If there was any justice, she'd lose marks for over-contributing and therefore not giving others a chance (which is what a good communicator would always keep in mind).

Reactions: 17
The whole participation score thing seems hideous, and weighted towards extroverts and people who like the sound of their own voice. I can just imagine a seminar full of people making random comments, as loudly as possible, just so other people canā€™t get a word in. In the real world you donā€™t tend to get praise for just turning up, itā€™s your outputs that matter and it seems bizarre that a uni is grading adults on whether they join in or not.

Edited to add: it really does seem juvenile to me. Does it go along with a score for ā€˜sharing nicelyā€˜, one for ā€˜cutting outā€™ and another for ā€˜colouring in the linesā€™?
exeter's grading system seems to be partially responsible for why ruby is...the way she is lol. it has taught her that there's value in spouting rubbish, and she has learnt to talk for ages and ages in incoherent sentences about practically nothing, because quality and depth don't matter! as long as she's talking, that's all that counts

also...her feedback for her victorian exam is so underwhelming, considering she got 75. for me, if i got a mark of 75, the feedback would typically be a lot more enthusiastic--the essay would usually have to be "incredible", "highly creative" and "exhaustively researched". it seems unusual as well that the points of criticism are so basic. the suggestions that her marker has made are first-year stuff, and for an essay given 75 (from my own experience) any criticism is usually a lot more nuanced and focused on the argument itself rather than the structure of the essay

ps. she's OBNOXIOUS in that video good god

edit: my grammar is appalling i'm so sorry! i'm speed typing lol. also i'm worried about coming off as obnoxious too--i'm not claiming to be an "incredible" student, i'm just saying that (from experience) to get a mark of 75 you usually needed to produce something quite special. ruby's marker wrote that her essay was "good" lmao. maybe a 75 is worth less at exeteršŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
I was just thinking about the ā€˜you can unsubscribe if you donā€™t like what Iā€™m doingā€™ response and why I donā€™t like it. I think itā€™s because on the surface it seems like a reasonable response but itā€™s actually just shutting down debate and is a refusal to take responsibility for potentially harmful content. There are lots of unpleasant things in life and online that I can choose not to look at - like animal abuse or far-right content, for example - but it doesnā€™t mean they should go unchallenged or unacknowledged, and should just be allowed to happen because Iā€™ve been told to stay away if I donā€™t like it. If someoneā€™s doing or posting something thatā€™s harmful, then they canā€™t just choose to not engage with the feedback.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
So glad everyone else is confused by participation marks!! I absolutely agree that it seems counterintuitive to what uni is all about - being independent, putting in as much or as little work as is required. I would imagine they do it as a way of being able to give out more good results - itā€™s probably a guaranteed high 2:1/1st for most students. That being said, I would have thought it would really impact someone with certain mental health issues. I have quite serious anxiety, and though I was always fine contributing during in person classes, I HATED virtual ones. During my English module last semester I spoke twice overall (and that was when I had to present), because something about the process of contributing just really freaked me out. That wasnā€™t representative of my effort or intelligence (got 19/20 in an essay and a first in my degree!), but Iā€™m sure lots of people would have similar issues. Also regarding Ruby I would have thought thereā€™s a risk that being in a class with her would be a disadvantage. If she speaks constantly then everyone else will look bad by comparison, and potentially get lower marks because of her obnoxiousness.

Iā€™ll be honest, Ruby is really reducing the respect I had for Exeter as a uni. It really is unbelievable to me that she gets the grades she does. It should not be possible to do so well at uni just by doing tonnes of research. Because my uni has a different method of marking I donā€™t have exact comparisons, but at mine to get firsts your work has to be very very good. Not perfect of course, but seriously good. Essays I got firsts in had words like ā€œexcellentā€, ā€œboldā€ and ā€œsuperbā€ in (we shanā€™t talk about some of the less good feedback šŸ˜‚). To get high firsts your work does have to be very close to perfect by undergrad standards. It really does seem like theyā€™re rewarding Ruby for being able to spout a load of stuff sheā€™s read on Jstor back at the markers.

Video idea Ruby! Take us through one of your essays that youā€™ve written over the last year. Talk us through how you went about writing it, and then put the actual essay on screen and discuss it. If they really are that good it will make us all look stupid, you could do something genuinely academic which Iā€™m sure lots of people would find interesting, and people starting uni in September would find it useful as a guide for what uni standard work is like!

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I know duck all about creative writing as a university course, but I'm pretty sure it's not a walk in the park. Wondering if she did a creative writing module in first year and couldn't deal with the criticism or scrutiny that came with it - you can't come out with self-insert fanfic or whatever meaningless pretentious word salad comes to you, and expect it to go right over the lecturers' heads.
I am completing my creative writing degree next year -- definitely not a walk in the park, it's entirely about what you put into it. You have to be willing to try new things, experiment with techniques, admit to your faults, etc. If you often compare yourself to others, workshops could really put a dent in your confidence. When you read the work of accomplished student writers, it can highlight the shortcomings in your own work (for some, this is useful. For others, it is a source of stress, and I can imagine Ruby falling into the latter category).

Judging by her reaction to the critiques of her lecturers, I can picture Ruby being the type to interject after every comment to explain herself. These people drive me bonkers -- you absolutely do not have to take every piece of criticism when it comes to a creative writing project, but to grow as a writer it is extremely important to listen to and consider them all.

You definitely can submit self-insert fanfic... trust me, I've read enough of it and it makes me want to bash my head against a wall every time. If your skin isn't thick enough, you'd probably be a bit worn down by critique which comes not only from your instructors but also from your peers. If you've got a big head, you'll definitely keep submitting the fanfic and the self-insert crap, but your grades will reflect that.

Since I am a creative writing student, it drives me NUTS that Ruby doesn't talk more about her experience writing books and stories; it seems to be a passion of hers and those kinds of videos would interest me. I'd also love to know why she presumably didn't like her creative writing module (at least not enough to continue)...

Reactions: 15
I think reality is wearing her down. She didn't seem particularly excited about any of her grades, or school in general. Unless a teacher agrees with her or does nothing but praise her, she scowls at their criticism and disagrees like a spoiled brat. omg I can't even imagine spending an hour in her presence. Little Miss Perfect has been showing all her imperfections over the years and they are piling up. Shoving her weight loss under the rug without addressing it is a very unfortunate move on her part. Why? Because she has spent the past numerous years sharing everything private with her audience and suddenly she has decided to shut them down, delete posts and ignore it. Unwise YouTubers overshare, which is usually their downfall. Especially when they suddenly put a lid on it and it becomes obvious there is a problem going on. They want content, but more importantly, they want a pat on the back, that momentary assurance that they may be worth something. Ask yourself why you don't share everything in your life with a million strangers on the Internet. Because you have self confidence. You have a life. Ruby doesn't. She is digging her own grave.

Ruby's oversharing:
This is what I got for my birthday, Christmas, in the mail
This is my bedroom, my house, my backyard, my neighbour' yard, my college room
This is where I eat, shop, hang out, the route I walk, where I sit by myself to read
This is what I eat, drink, cook, bake, had at a restaurant
This is how I brush my teeth, what is in my drawers, my closet, under my bed
These are my fears, I am in counseling (but not telling you why), I wish I was a still a kid, I wish...I wish...
This is my routine, morning, noon, night
This is my list of things, all things, everything...

Hardly studytuber content.

I know we see this crap from YouTubers and vloggers all the time. Social media smacks of oversharing. It becomes the content, the routine. So when you shut down your audience, you lose them. You lose the numbers, the trust, the support. She is making a lot of bad decisions these days. She should take a massive break from all social media, get her life in order, "sort out her priorities" and learn to get on with life not needing to lean on strangers for assurance. What is she going to do when she is 25, 30, 40? Still make bizarre Victorian tea party videos, then glue herself to her phone waiting for the comments to come in so she can feel better about herself for a few hours? What a pathetic waste of life.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I also had flashbacks to that first uni essay reaction video where she had a mental breakdown because she wilfully ignored the essay structure/subject guidelines, got a bad grade during a year which didn't count towards her final grade anyway, then cried about it with utter entitlement. She said something like "I was expecting higher, like a 2:1, because I know you can't predict getting a First and you shouldn't expect a First..." So, she was absolutely expecting a First, but she's oh so humble.
If I remember correctly, I think that was the video where she said that she was being ambitious/experimenting with something (don't remember the specifics) - it was obvious that she expected the lecturer to be absolutely blown away by her creative academic genius, or whatever. Can't imagine filming a video like that and then uploading it for all the world to see - she even mentioned it in this latest video about her second year results, saying that it's got over a million views by now and she's really proud of how far she's come since then. If she's only being humble and trying to project an attitude of not caring for her audience, goodness knows what she's like IRL about her grades.

Reactions: 12
"I don't regret changing courses AT ALL. I love my course with my whole being"

Is there some English literature cult in a dark acadaymia book she's cosplaying? That's not how normal people who are happy with their life choices talk

And jesus she's still got the bleeping bib

Also sorry for the double post but does anyone remember when years ago she said she ate like 1200 calories a day? So even if she used to look healthier (and maybe for super short inactive women that might occasionally be ok? I have no idea. I know I eat way more than that and need to lol) she used to be ok with posting tit that is just not ok because of how triggering it can be

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Some universities, like mine, have introduced a participation grade due to COVID. It ensures students are engaged with online learning. For example, our tutor uploads a question every week on a discussion board and we have to respond to it. The responses are then graded through the participation mark. It gives both the students and tutors more flexibility.

Reactions: 17
Rubyā€™s response to all the concerned comments - basically saying ā€œthanks but I donā€™t care šŸ˜‡ā€View attachment 644895
Be careful coz you can see your insta handle at the bottom of that screenshot, I saw recently on another thread that someone posted on tattle and accidentally exposed their personal insta, then the influencer apparently reported this person to their employeršŸ˜«. I doubt ruby would actually do this, but you never know about some of her obsessive fans lol

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Ruby would add it to her Erimentha file of collated evidence of bullying and take it directly to 10 Downing Street.
You will be sentenced to 10 years of solitary confinement and 500 hours of hard labour in the canteenšŸ˜¢

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Be careful coz you can see your insta handle at the bottom of that screenshot, I saw recently on another thread that someone posted on tattle and accidentally exposed their personal insta, then the influencer apparently reported this person to their employeršŸ˜«. I doubt ruby would actually do this, but you never know about some of her obsessive fans lol
Ah thank you I didnt even notice! Hereā€˜s the reupload cropped :)

B2449350-3F60-4E10-9619-DD74BBAB9C7A.jpeg

Reactions: 4
She looks so ill, I'm not even surprised that people are really worrying about her. Also, are fake freckles back? ;)

1625253124831.png

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.