Ruby Granger #12 The Continuing Adventures of Pie-rott and Muriel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't remember each one, but I think she got 76 for her second year overall and her lowest exam mark was 67 (which she was wincing at and it brought one of her module marks down "LOADS!" to 73).
She also gets a 'module participation' score which is about 10% of each module mark or something and she got 85 in each one.
Thanks for this act of true kindness. ;)

Reactions: 7
She admits that she's lost weight yet she also adds disclaimers on her small food portions saying that isn't all she ate. That doesn't really add up
I think her admitting she lost weight without any commentary is actually quite damaging because she was a healthy weight to begin with. By saying "yes I have lost weight" it comes across as if it's a good thing, as if it's normal and even something that should be encouraged so this is just even more irresponsible behaviour from her.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Her Oxford rejection reflection video popped up and she’s complaining that the pressure of reading an unseen passage in fifteen minutes and the pressure of it being her Oxford interview and everything coming down to that caused her to have an anxiety attack and that’s why she didn’t perform… trust me I feel for 17/18 year old Ruby I really did but considering that 21 year old Ruby is now going to build her uni experience on 24 hour exams (obviously not saying that’s down to her choice or anything) and the ability to get everything just right through tones of research, I’m just dying to know how in the heck she’s going to cope with job interviews and even appraisal interviews when you’re in a job?
Simple answer: she’s not. Nor would she ever have been able to cope with the work load of Oxford. Since her fleeting acquaintanceship with Molly, I’ve looked up English reading lists at some Oxford colleges, and the scope and depth of what she would’ve been expected to read in preparation for just her first year is lightyears beyond Roobee’s mental capacity at the best of times. She can’t cope with being put on the spot or having to think quickly, the only way she can manage anything is through having plenty of time. Her take-home exams included an estimate of the time in which students were expected to complete the exam, and she invariably used 4 to 5 times the amount of hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Lmao talking about how she wishes she’d failed in school. There’s something so arrogant about that - “I simply couldn’t help succeeding, I’m just such a genius”. We all know that Ruby would have failed plenty without her 14 hour study days. Frankly if I were her I would be disappointed with that 67, given the amount of work she does. If she had a normal uni lifestyle (I know COVID obviously slightly fucked that but still), I’d think it were absurd because that seems a good mark (St Andrews uses a 20 point scale so idk exactly how it corresponds), but literally the only thing Ruby has in her life is studying. I’d be hoping for the best possible grades constantly if it were all I bleeping did.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Also I’ll come back to my eternal confusion of why didn’t she carry on with creative writing modules beyond first year of being an author is an option for her career path? And actually maybe the best one for her goal of frolicking around in the countryside (by no means saying this is what authors do I’m say sing this is what Ruby would do given half the chance)
I know duck all about creative writing as a university course, but I'm pretty sure it's not a walk in the park. Wondering if she did a creative writing module in first year and couldn't deal with the criticism or scrutiny that came with it - you can't come out with self-insert fanfic or whatever meaningless pretentious word salad comes to you, and expect it to go right over the lecturers' heads.

Also, she does have a decent following (whether deserved or not is a different story) and if she self-publishes a book now, she is guaranteed to make a decent amount of money from curious fans. She probably doesn't view university as necessary to teach her about creative writing, especially given that she's already published a steaming hot trainwreck mess of a book already.

Reactions: 17
Fight the good fight ✊
that's me :oops: I know it's becoming increasingly apparent Ruby will manage to deflect her way out of addressing any criticism in a productive young way but I can only hope that her fans see the comments calling her out and realise it's probably in their best interests to unfollow her

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I think her admitting she lost weight without any commentary is actually quite damaging because she was a healthy weight to begin with. By saying "yes I have lost weight" it comes across as if it's a good thing, as if it's normal and even something that should be encouraged so this is just even more irresponsible behaviour from her.
I agree, I think her saying ‘I’ve lost weight and it’s nothing to worry about’ implies that you can easily lose weight healthily from a healthy weight to borderline/unhealthy weight and it’s not a medical worry. To impressionable minds it says either restricting is fine and being thin is fine even if it’s not natural for your body, or that eating onions peppers and mushrooms for dinner is totally fine.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I don't get her explanation of her results - 70 does equal 70% in UK marks. As someone else said, she shouldn't be surprised to be getting high marks when she studies all the time. That would explain why she disagreed with her feedback (regardless of what the token text on the screen says), demonstrating that her remarks about being 'surprised' are disingenuous. Just the way she reported the 67 in her summary of her marks shows how bad she considers that to be, she barely say it without grimacing.
I think it's part of her two-stage grief process of Entitlement, then Denial.

"I really should have gotten a much higher score for this. Don't they know who I am? Well, now that I think about it, nobody would've gotten a higher score for this anyway. I got the highest score they would've given anyone." Like when she says things like "Nobody gets above an 85, it just doesn't happen." Yeah, it absolutely does (less common, sure, but entirely possible,) but Ruby has conditioned herself to believe that if it's a higher grade than she's ever got, it just doesn't exist.

I also had flashbacks to that first uni essay reaction video where she had a mental breakdown because she wilfully ignored the essay structure/subject guidelines, got a bad grade during a year which didn't count towards her final grade anyway, then cried about it with utter entitlement. She said something like "I was expecting higher, like a 2:1, because I know you can't predict getting a First and you shouldn't expect a First..." So, she was absolutely expecting a First, but she's oh so humble.

Also, at 4:20 (nice) she mentions that this was the assignment she enjoyed the least - says that she needs to bear in mind, 'don't write an essay which isn't exciting'. She's coming to the end of her third year at Exeter - you'd think that wouldn't be the message she takes from this, but here we are.
Thisthisthis, so much. I though the exact same thing the second she started saying "Okay, I do keep doing that, that's something I'll definitely need to think about in future." Ruby, you've been doing this for like 3 plus years now and I imagine getting all the same comments from lecturers. Time has run out for you to improve. That's like slamming on the breaks five minutes after your car slammed into a ditch. But it's the classic Ruby 'I'll say I'll change something, then just keep doing it because change requires effort and ultimately, I shouldn't have to change since I'm perfect" tactic.

Seeing Ruby respond to a reasonable and constructive criticism by holding a finger in the air and saying "...See, I disagree with that" gave a tiny glimpse into the hellscape of spoilt Tory Karen energy her lecturers must endure in every seminar and meeting with her. How many times has she interrupted a lecture and said those exact words? If there were a talking Ruby doll, one of her phrases would be "See, I disagree with that." Ruby, just change the things the people grading your essays ask you to, and you'll get better grades from them. It's simple. Insisting you're the arbiter of all knowledge and literacy when you can barely form words is not a wise path to take.

I saw her scores for 'Holocaust Memory' module pop up and kept expecting "...and a minus 500 for stealing money from Holocaust Charities and coming up with a flimsy, dubious cover story about building Holocaust memorials in "underfunded state schools" to avoid giving the money back. ...See, I disagree with that."

Would anyone mind recapping what marks she got? I can't bring myself to watch the video.
They were all far too high for someone who struggles to form a sentence.

I'm entirely convince that there's been an error on the system, and the faculty have simply mixed her up with a different student when assigning grades. Somewhere at Exeter Uni, there's a student called Rupert Grinjer who's constantly confused by his failing grades despite being a hard-working, intelligent person with impeccable language and literature skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I can't remember each one, but I think she got 76 for her second year overall and her lowest exam mark was 67 (which she was wincing at and it brought one of her module marks down "LOADS!" to 73).
She also gets a 'module participation' score which is about 10% of each module mark or something and she got 85 in each one.
participation score?? what a joke! my uni gave us marks solely based on essays--the one true marker of academic performance (for english at least). no wonder ruby picked exeter, their grading system seems to suit her perfectly. she wouldn't have gotten any extra points for contribution at oxford!! i kind of wish that she had gotten in so that we could have watched her go there and be faced with her own academic mediocrity

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
I know duck all about creative writing as a university course, but I'm pretty sure it's not a walk in the park. Wondering if she did a creative writing module in first year and couldn't deal with the criticism or scrutiny that came with it - you can't come out with self-insert fanfic or whatever meaningless pretentious word salad comes to you, and expect it to go right over the lecturers' heads.

Also, she does have a decent following (whether deserved or not is a different story) and if she self-publishes a book now, she is guaranteed to make a decent amount of money from curious fans. She probably doesn't view university as necessary to teach her about creative writing, especially given that she's already published a steaming hot trainwreck mess of a book already.
I did creative writing as half of my degree, and I can confirm they hold you to a high standard. To get a first you need to basically be one good round of edits away from a publishing deal (not a self publishing one) in every aspect of your writing - characterisation, grammar, punctuation, descriptiveness, all of it. I honestly can’t imagine Ruby being able to cope with the feedback for it, either. Some teachers were so harsh you’d think just from their comments alone that you’d utterly failed, but then you’d look at the grade and see you got a 2.1.

There was also a big emphasis on being able to take critiques maturely - they didn’t have the time for hours of “but, but, but” for every critique on every piece from every person, and we can all see how Ruby would do in that regard.

To cut a long story short, she absolutely couldn’t hack it. But I agree, I suspect she’d argue she wouldn’t need classes since she’s already a “published author”.

Reactions: 12
She can tone down her word soup of nonsense for essays and mould it to fit a standard structure and template. With creative writing she'd have free rein to put her bizarre bullshit on paper. She'd be crucified.

She probably wants the symbolic "gold trophy" of getting a publishing deal. Which is an outdated idea in a lot of ways. Self-publishing used to have a stigma of being an aspiring author buying their way to success without merit instead of being approved by the gatekeepers of the publishing industry. That's changed now - self-publishing is the much smarter move for someone with an established platform, plus she keeps essentially all the money for herself instead of splitting it with agents and publishers. She could have done either by now - publishers are very quick to offer contracts to "celebrity" influencer vanity books because it's easy sales to an established fanbase. And she could've self-published more books by now. Either she has no ideas (no surprise) or it's more of her lazy, disorganised self missing obvious opportunities.

Reactions: 9
I’m just dying to know how in the heck she’s going to cope with job interviews and even appraisal interviews when you’re in a job? Not saying I wish failure on her but I think she has the mind set of “well I’ve had my life time of struggle in being rejected from Oxford and hay fever” and thinks she’ll saunter through interviews for publishing, marketing, media on her 85 mark but she’s just not going to. I mentioned about that publishing takes a year of applying for literally every job to break into and you work tirelessly on every application, stress over every word in an interview because you also need the job as well as it being the one you’d love - it’s just so confusing how she says in that video “don’t be afraid of failure” and “I wish I’d failed at school” and now she’s right back to how she used to be? Also I’ll come back to my eternal confusion of why didn’t she carry on with creative writing modules beyond first year of being an author is an option for her career path? And actually maybe the best one for her goal of frolicking around in the countryside (by no means saying this is what authors do I’m say sing this is what Ruby would do given half the chance)
YES EXACTLY.

Good grades don't mean anything outside of school when applying to jobs, especially ones in competitive fields such as publishing! Yeah earning a first class degree is impressive and looks pretty good on a CV but with no proper past work experience (sorry Ruby you can't add frolicking to your CV) you don't compare to other applicants who also got a first class degree and have loads of work experience.

As for writing, Rubys desire to be an author is a fever dream. To be a good writer you have to be a good reader and she can't even do that properly. Nevermind the horrible writing she has already "published". I agree with you on the creative writing module. If you were truly passionate about writing wouldn't you peruse it more and constantly try to hone your craft? But no, just like everything else with Ruby she doesn't want to or doesn't think that she needs to put in any time or effort. Writing comes easy to her because she's just soOoOo brilliant and talented (when really it's just tit writing that she won't take any criticism on). Could you imagine her sending out novels to potential publishers? They would rip her to shreds. Her "fame" and subscriber count would be the only thing to get her a book deal, like all the other talentless Youtuber's/Influencers who suddenly become published. It's not about good writing at that point, it's about money.

Reactions: 16
i feel like someone without an ED would’ve said something like “as some of you have noticed, I have lost weight. This has mainly been due to cutting down on crisps and chocolates and having a more regular exercise routine since we’ve been in lockdown for the oldest part of a year and moving my body makes me feel better and less sluggish. The weight loss has been a natural result of both healthier eating and exercise, but I really appreciate your concern.” Someone with an ED would try to avoid discussing it any further.

Reactions: 20
participation score?? what a joke! my uni gave us marks solely based on essays--the one true marker of academic performance (for english at least). no wonder ruby picked exeter, their grading system seems to suit her perfectly. she wouldn't have gotten any extra points for contribution at oxford!! i kind of wish that she had gotten in so that we could have watched her go there and be faced with her own academic mediocrity
The whole participation score thing seems hideous, and weighted towards extroverts and people who like the sound of their own voice. I can just imagine a seminar full of people making random comments, as loudly as possible, just so other people can’t get a word in. In the real world you don’t tend to get praise for just turning up, it’s your outputs that matter and it seems bizarre that a uni is grading adults on whether they join in or not.

Edited to add: it really does seem juvenile to me. Does it go along with a score for ‘sharing nicely‘, one for ‘cutting out’ and another for ‘colouring in the lines’?

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Yeah I thought that too, I've never even heard of that being a thing at an English uni before.

Reactions: 8
The whole participation score thing seems hideous, and weighted towards extroverts and people who like the sound of their own voice. I can just imagine a seminar full of people making random comments, as loudly as possible, just so other people can’t get a word in. In the real world you don’t tend to get praise for just turning up, it’s your outputs that matter and it seems bizarre that a uni is grading adults on whether they join in or not.
We had a module where your contributions would be noted, and if they were of certain standards, you'd get marks added - but nothing is taken away from the marks, and it was only a very small percentage of the mark (5 or 10% if I remember correctly), I highly doubt it will add as much to her scores as she makes out

Reactions: 5
I went to Cardiff Uni so similar level to Exeter and I’d never heard of them having a participation score! I’d have been soooo screwed if Cardiff did the same 😂 Also, Ruby to me is the literal form of the line from book smart (paraphrasing) “we didn’t drink and party so we could get good grades and get into college, and it worked, but those kids who went out, got drunk, went to parties also got into those colleges” - Not saying she needs to go out and get drunk more the sentiment like we said you can have good grades, get experience and still be a good student. Personally I’m really happy with the balance I managed to get but grated that was pretty COVID 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 12
i feel like someone without an ED would’ve said something like “as some of you have noticed, I have lost weight. This has mainly been due to cutting down on crisps and chocolates and having a more regular exercise routine since we’ve been in lockdown for the oldest part of a year and moving my body makes me feel better and less sluggish. The weight loss has been a natural result of both healthier eating and exercise, but I really appreciate your concern.” Someone with an ED would try to avoid discussing it any further.
Possibly, but she could have lost weight through lots of other health conditions too. So if it’s related to a physical health problem, I can understand her not wanting to discuss it. I do agree with some comments here re how she’s handling her followers comments, but I also dont think she needs to explain why/how she’s lost weight even if it’s healthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I went to Cardiff Uni so similar level to Exeter and I’d never heard of them having a participation score! I’d be soooo screwed 😂 Also, Ruby to me is the literal form of the line from book smart (paraphrasing) “we didn’t drink and party so we could get good grades and get into college, and it worked, but those kids who went out, got drunk wine went to parties also got into those colleges”
That’s it though isn’t it? You choose to go to uni as an adult, if you decide not to participate that’s on you. A uni shouldn’t be spoon feeding adults to force them to attend a class by making marks contingent in it. More seriously, I don’t see how they get away with that from an equalities perspective (what about neurodivergence or disabilities that may make it harder for someone to participate at the same level, like hearing or sight impairment?) It’s weird to me.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.