Remaining_hopeful #2 Eat, sleep, scan, repeat!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not a chance did any nurse tell her keep the baby in bed beside her. She is absolutely nuts this one. To have a baby in the bed is one of the most dangerous things to do. Also no nurse would tell her hold a baby as much as she can. They need routine ! Oh lord I fear for this baby already!
I’ve had 3 kids in the last 7 yrs and they were all put in beside me to sleep. It must be different in every hospital. Mine encouraged them to be beside me at all times. They check on you that much you barely close your eyes anyway 🤣

Reactions: 4
I’ve had 3 kids in the last 7 yrs and they were all put in beside me to sleep. It must be different in every hospital. Mine encouraged them to be beside me at all times. They check on you that much you barely close your eyes anyway 🤣
God I’d love to have been in your hospital. No nurse in the hospital I was in had time to
Give you pain medication never mind check on you all the time.

• Angry
Reactions: 2
Co slept and breastfed all my babies. There’s safe and unsafe ways to do it. Personally never did or would in the hospital beds but the minute we got home it was straight in the bed.

Babies need to be held and should be. It creates a strong emotional attachment and help builds happy and confident children.

She’s probably heard what she wanted to hear and she isn’t the best at expressing herself so it’s come across wrong but the message was right, cosleeping with breastfed babies can be done safely and babies should be held.
While I agree with you and did some level of co sleeping with my own, its definitely not promoted by the midwives and PHN etc. There are lactation consultants who discussed safe ways etc with me, but we all know the "safe sleep" rules.

cumh certainly didn't encourage this when I was there, and in fact lectured on safe sleep etc. I was given leaflets etc on it

CUMH midwives told me to put my baby in the little bassinet, I wasn't allowed to have my baby in the bed. I was breastfeeding but they still told me off.... And they are so busy in there, its a roasting hot busy place!

I just had a baby in April and It was the very same. Breastfeeding and second night baby was in with me with the side of the bed up. And we both got the best sleep. I was a section so I barely had to move. I couldn't of faulted the midwives in my hospital they were busy but made great time for anyone who needed it and great support. I had used two different hospitals in my other two and nothing really compared. So it's definitely a luck of the draw if you get the decent support and care

Cluster feeding usually happens on night 2 or 3 and the baba will literally feed all night , all night … so she was probably advised to feed him in a lying down position as it’s much easier and he probably latched all night so ended up in the bed

Not a chance did any nurse tell her keep the baby in bed beside her. She is absolutely nuts this one. To have a baby in the bed is one of the most dangerous things to do. Also no nurse would tell her hold a baby as much as she can. They need routine ! Oh lord I fear for this baby already!
The midwives in CUMH actually do encourage cosleeping for breastfed babies. I’ve experienced the same myself.

Reactions: 3
When I had my first baby during the first lockdown I didn't get to have a shower the entire few days I was in there 😅 we weren't allowed visitors so I had no one to watch her so I could leave, she screamed the second I put her down so I couldn't go while she slept and it was June so I was SWEATING. and before anyone says you should have asked one of the staff, when I was made go to the bathroom after my catethar was removed one nurse said she would watch my baby for me and when I came back she had fucked off and my baby was howling 😂
OMG I laughed at that! Typical! No nurse for miles when I was in last time so myself and the woman next to me watched each other when we went for our 2 minute showers. But sure in there you'd be sweating from just drying yourself.

I didn't breastfeed my babies but when I had them other mother's that were breastfeeding in the ward and were advised to let babies in beside them to feed while laying down, they were advising it . I don't think Kim would go on insta and say they advised her when they didn't I bet since she went there the midwives caring for her follow her on Instagram . So obviously not all hospitals are the same so can't be saying she wasn't advised it either just because someone else wasn't .

Reactions: 1
Similar to others here. I was breastfeeding and a midwife put the baby in the bed beside me for the second night. In antenatal classes we were told that they don’t recommend it (as those are the official HSE guidelines) but we were directed to the Lullaby Trust website if we wanted info on co-sleeping safely.

They were also big on promoting skin to skin as much as possible, particularly in the days after birth.

I think the midwife probably meant you can't ever spoil a baby, always pick him up and hold him when he needs it.

I wasn't advised to do it but I'm breastfeeding and it's the only way you ever get a rest is if they are in beside you 😅 I was so on edge about doing it when he was that tiny but needs must

I wouldn’t personally co sleep, although there are ways to make it as safe as possible it isn’t in itself safe.. but at the end of day people do make that decision so should be informed on how to do it as safely as possible. Have to add there’s plenty of unsafe sleep practices that go on that have nothing to do with cosleeping from bumpers to comforters to blankets, etc

It’s simply a parental preference (we all do what we need to in those first few weeks) and I wouldn’t judge anyone for doing it or not doing it. Co sleep vs not is similar to breast vs formula or working mam vs sahm. Do what works for you, let’s get the chat a bit more on topic

I wouldn’t personally co sleep, although there are ways to make it as safe as possible it isn’t in itself safe.. but at the end of day people do make that decision so should be informed on how to do it as safely as possible. Have to add there’s plenty of unsafe sleep practices that go on that have nothing to do with cosleeping from bumpers to comforters to blankets, etc

It’s simply a parental preference (we all do what we need to in those first few weeks) and I wouldn’t judge anyone for doing it or not doing it. Co sleep vs not is similar to breast vs formula or working mam vs sahm. Do what works for you, let’s get the chat a bit more on topic
This 👏👏👏

Has she talked about when she is due to go home? Did someone here say she plans on driving herself? I hope not, she wouldn't be able surely, and isn't it the case that she wouldn't be insured until a doctor declares her fit to drive again? Normally 6 weeks for c section?

CUMH is the hospital where a Mum and her newborn baby died tragically in 2019. Nobody checked on them for hours. I had a section there a few years ago. They are run off their feet up there. They only have time for the essentials- there’s no TLC whether you go private or public.

This 👏👏👏

Has she talked about when she is due to go home? Did someone here say she plans on driving herself? I hope not, she wouldn't be able surely, and isn't it the case that she wouldn't be insured until a doctor declares her fit to drive again? Normally 6 weeks for c section?
She’s home. The usual daddy carrying baby photo was posted. I was thinking, her car was there since her appointment on Thursday, who’ll be bringing that home? I’m sure they got a taxi or something. She’ll be very isolated now with no way to get anywhere when he can’t drive 🙈

She’s home. The usual daddy carrying baby photo was posted. I was thinking, her car was there since her appointment on Thursday, who’ll be bringing that home? I’m sure they got a taxi or something. She’ll be very isolated now with no way to get anywhere when he can’t drive 🙈
She will drive! How else will they get the post partum McDonald's in?

If he is on her insurance policy he can drive. She'd be with him all above board.

Wish she had this car seat straps positioned properly tho!!!

If he is on her insurance policy he can drive. She'd be with him all above board.

Wish she had this car seat straps positioned properly tho!!!
I wouldn’t personally want someone driving my newborn baby after only one lesson.

I’d say she’ll def drive before the 6 weeks are up. Some ppl do get signed off early though if the GP feels they’re ok to drive.

The baby looked way overdressed in his going home outfit and the big socks 🙈 hopefully she won’t get caught up in dressing him up in silly outfits in this heat

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.