Real life crime and murder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been fascinated with murder for as long as I can remember and I read and watch a huge amount of material on the subject.

Since I medically retired five years ago, my interest has only grown, especially with local newspapers reporting live from court on bigger cases and the ability to look at victims and defendants on social media, it's probably at obsessive levels now. In the UK, we don't actually find out the full details of the case until the first day of trial (which is absolutely how it should be) when the prosecution lay out their case but I do like to try and piece things together before then if I can. Social media is an absolutely goldmine for this. That's what interests me to be honest - people's relationships, interactions and motives.

The way I work is that I will read about a new murder on the BBC news website or maybe I'll see something on one of the local newspapers if I'm following a trial. I then have a look at Facebook and see if I can work out if it's likely to interest me. You can usually work out what kind of case it it - I'd say 85% of the time it will turn out to be drug related in some way. I'm particularly interested in cases involving the homeless community and vulnerable victims as I tend to feel these are the people that have been maybe forgotten in some way by society. I'm pretty hardened but those are the cases that really get to me and obviously child murders. I also really enjoy (if that's the right word) purely circumstantial cases and no body trials.

If it piques my interest, then it goes on my "trial calendar" (like I said, no judgement 😂) and I'll follow it through until conclusion. I had to start this as I was losing track! Certain local newspapers - Liverpool Echo, Essex Live, Teeside Live and Coventry Live are very good - usually do live reporting on bigger cases where one of their journalists sits in court and reports what's going on every day. I love this! It really gives you a feel for the case and the whole court process. I like to think I have a good understanding now of the legal system and sentencing guidelines (all self taught)

I check court listings to keep track of my trials and read judge's full sentencing remarks once the case is over (they are usually published in high profile cases and are very illuminating) I also have a list of unsolved cases, missing people, cases waiting for charges to be brought and inquest outcomes which I check on periodically.

I only have one active trial I'm following at the moment, which is due to restart again tomorrow after the Christmas break, and I have one new one starting tomorrow which I suspect will turn out to be drugs related. The week after, I have six new trials scheduled to start! Happy to share details and discuss if anyone is interested.

As for TV, I love 24 Hours in Police Custody. There's a two part special on tomorrow and Tuesday about a trial I actually followed so I'm looking forward that. Also, I don't usually follow cases in Scotland (or Wales) - I'm busy enough with England - but I did follow a no body trial there involving a vulnerable victim with learning difficulites. There is a programme on BBC2 this week about it on Wednesday - Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Margaret Fleming.

ITV did a couple of really good real life crime dramas last year - Manhunt and A Confession - and have a new one starting on Wednesday called White House Farm about Jeremy Bamber. I think it will be interesting to see what slant they take on it given Bamber still proclaims his innocence. I'm not sure he is but I do believe his conviction is unsafe.

My favourite USA real life crime shows are:

Cold Justice
The First 48
Disappeared
On The Case with Paula Zahn
Shattered
Reasonable Doubt
48 Hours
Dateline

So, there you go. My obsession laid bare.

Let's get chatting 😂
OMG so much yes!!!!! In this post I gotta re read so pleased this thread exists ❤

Reactions: 2
Kindly directed here by 50’sGirl after another thread went off on a tangent. I love true crime, especially podcasts. I don’t particularly ‘like’ murder but more the human psychology that makes people do stuff like this and also trying to solve the mystery of it all.

The Golden State Killer was one that really peaked my interest many years ago. The fact that he was only caught two years ago through DNA, and listening to the Casefile podcast is fascinating. God knows if and when the trial will go ahead.

Closer to home, the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence puzzles me greatly.

Reactions: 10
The Claudia Laurence case has always baffled me. I struggle to understand in this day and age with all the CCTV around that someone can just vanish 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 7
My heart breaks whenever I see her dad. He clearly adores her. 💔
I could cry when I see him. Not knowing must be hell on Earth.

It's all so so odd. Anyone have any theories or insight? Terribly sad
I know someone in WYP who hinted that they suspected her father for a while. Which I totally scoffed at. There is no way on earth that he hurt that girl.

It's all so so odd. Anyone have any theories or insight? Terribly sad
This is one where it could have gone either way. It could have been someone she knew but equally it could have been some random stranger.

The Trail Went Cold did a podcast on her last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
The Claudia Laurence case has always baffled me. I struggle to understand in this day and age with all the CCTV around that someone can just vanish 🤷‍♀️
I think I'm right in saying it was a largely residential area, and Ring cameras weren't invented then. It's not inconceivable that the CCTV evidence is so limited.

Such a sad case. I really hope the mystery is solved for her family. It's unthinkable to go through that.

Reactions: 4
I think I'm right in saying it was a largely residential area, and Ring cameras weren't invented then. It's not inconceivable that the CCTV evidence is so limited.

Such a sad case. I really hope the mystery is solved for her family. It's unthinkable to go through that.
There was a small amount of cctv from a house round the back but like you say it’s residential so very little was seen. I haven’t seen it but I heard there was some cctv from a shop showing her coming back from work on the day before she vanished, I would have thought that the very same shop would have shown her going to work the next morning.

Another case I find fascinating is the Billie- Jo Jenkins murder, the foster dad went on trial, found guilty, then appealed, has had 2 re-trials, jurors have failed to reach verdicts both times......did the foster dad Sion Jenkins (no relation) do it ? I don't think so, one of the reasons was the timeline, not much time to go out, bludgeon her head in with a tent peg, & put a bit of bin bag plastic up her nose (for some bizarre reason), I think the whole thing hung on her blood splatter on his clothes which he claimed she breathed over him when he found her & held her in his arms.....very sad unsolved crime.😔

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I live close to where Suzanne Pilley lived before she disappeared. One of the witnesses in the trial, I knew through work. She told me she’d often told Suzanne that she wanted to Microchip her as Gilroy would do something to her 😢

What's everyones view on Lord Lucan? Do you believe he died at the time or do you think he got away?
I firmly believe he got away. He may be alive still. He'd be 86 now. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Reactions: 3
What's everyones view on Lord Lucan? Do you believe he died at the time or do you think he got away?
I firmly believe he got away. He may be alive still. He'd be 86 now. Not beyond the realms of possibility.
Depends. I swing from yes he died, quite sure of it. To no, he got away, quite sure of it.

Exactly the same as the escapees from Alcatraz.

Reactions: 1
This case really really intrgues me, he seemed to have a ego to big to kill himself I think he got away he had all the connections! I always felt massively sorry for Veronica she seemed trapped in time from that event I think her kids should have made a effort it’s all so odd!

There was a small amount of cctv from a house round the back but like you say it’s residential so very little was seen. I haven’t seen it but I heard there was some cctv from a shop showing her coming back from work on the day before she vanished, I would have thought that the very same shop would have shown her going to work the next morning.
Do you think she vanished that night or on her way to work the next morning?
The police handled it badly, basically hinting to the media that she had lots of men on the go. Unforgivable.

I read a while back that some suspect Christopher Halliwell was involved but I can’t make my mind up on that.

It must be so hard to not have a body to lay to rest. I wonder what happened to Suzy Lamplugh too.
Very sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 6

I live very close to where she lived in York and one of the pieces of CCTV they ran an appeal to find the people in the video. They even set up a massive screen playing it in York city center! I don't think they ever found who they were looking for but I get chills every time I think about it!

There's plenty of rumours round York of what happened to her and things that weren't widely reported about her life but the most common rumour is her disappearance is linked to the building of the new university campus very close to where she was last seen. I fully believe that someone, somewhere will overhear a conversation in a pub a few years down the line and everything will be revealed!

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Do you think she vanished that night or on her way to work the next morning?
The police handled it badly, basically hinting to the media that she had lots of men on the go. Unforgivable.

I read a while back that some suspect Christopher Halliwell was involved but I can’t make my mind up on that.

It must be so hard to not have a body to lay to rest. I wonder what happened to Suzy Lamplugh too.
Very sad.
I’m not sure. Her chef uniform was missing and also her hair straighteners. Did she stay with someone else that night after her phone call with her mum? Seems odd to take you hair straighteners to work with you.

Casefile did a good podcast on Suzy Lamplough and I’m pretty sure the bloke who killed her is locked up. It’s worth a listen.

I love true crime stuff. I've been really obsessed with Madeleine McCann. Believed for quite a long time the parents did it but I don't think so anymore. They didn't have enough time to hide her body and I think if they had she would have been found by now. I also don't think they could've kept this from the rest of their group... And I can't imagine the others know.. Don't think that EVERYBODY would have kept quiet...

I'm also obsessed with the case of JonBenet Ramsey. Definitely someone from the family did it (the brother?). It just doesn't add up otherwise.
Agreed about Madeleine McCann. I hope to god the parents didn’t do it and I actually don’t think they did. The only reason they could have got away with it is down to the poor initial investigation by the Portuguese police, as evidence was not preserved etc. But, and I know this sounds terrible, if all of the people who they were with knew about it, surely at least one of them wouldn’t have been able to live with the guilt and would have had some sort of breakdown, or admitted it or something like that?

Reactions: 6
Have you read the conspiracy theories that JonBenet is actually Katy Perry? If you'd like to get lost down a rabbit hole, there's heap of stuff out there about that. I follow a Seer who 'sees' that they are one and the same, albeit in different realms (that's a whole different topic).
Tell me more about your seer, that sounds so interesting!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.