Real Life Crime and Murder #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve only seen it mentioned on this thread, I did mean to look it up. I’ve definitely not seen it reported anywhere else, MSM or social media. Any recommendations where best to follow it?

Given it’s come so soon after Uvalde too I am surprised there’s not more interest.

This is a link to the most recent session which was yesterday via the Law and Crime Network. I believe they are having a 4 day break and resuming next week. So far they are on day 8. The judge seems to like short days (sessions are between 5-8 hrs maybe) but that includes a 15 min break and a 2 hour lunch.
The autopsies are pretty hard, especially as some family members choose to attend the court. One boy was shot 12 times with 4 bullets in the head. Another two were essentially paralysed when they were shot. One video you heard the audio and there are teenagers screaming and you can hear one girl ‘dying’. I put it like that because I’ve heard it referred to as agonal breathing online but this girl was shot in the head so there is some uncertainty but people in the class said it was her making the noise. It’s really disturbing to hear.
Because it’s being filmed the camera angles have on 3 occasions caught the autopsy photos which you can hardly see but still must be distressing.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I would be sceptical of Laura Corkill’s version of events if it wasn’t supported by the professionals involved. And my professional experience of SS where domestic abuse is an issue is in line with Laura’s. There is far too much judgement & bias involved that most of the time leaves children at risk.
Social work needs modernising with a risk based approach & FAR more funding, including therapy for mothers.
The practice of mothers who end up traumatised due to abuse by a partner then losing their children to the abusive partner is far too common & needs to end immediately.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Agree with all of the above posters. Dont think we will get the full version of events from Laura but it does sound like she lacks the capacity to stick up for herself or have the nous to launch any sort of appeal to get him back etc. Every mothers worst nightmare. We obviously don't know the full story of why he was taken in the first place but I do feel uncomfortable with how some things may be handled regarding children whose parents lack capacity. Goes without saying that the child's welfare must come first but there maybe should more mother and baby and supported living facilities available.

Reactions: 8
To add to my post-this isn’t me slagging off social workers. I nearly trained as a SW, have huge empathy for them & am extremely glad I didn’t train as one.
I think a lot of SWwould agree social work needs reforming & investment.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Agree with all of the above posters. Dont think we will get the full version of events from Laura but it does sound like she lacks the capacity to stick up for herself or have the nous to launch any sort of appeal to get him back etc. Every mothers worst nightmare. We obviously don't know the full story of why he was taken in the first place but I do feel uncomfortable with how some things may be handled regarding children whose parents lack capacity. Goes without saying that the child's welfare must come first but there maybe should more mother and baby and supported living facilities available.
I think the point you’ve made about lacking capacity is a great one. She was completely and utterly powerless against Cumbria SS.

Mother and baby supported living facilities sounds great, except when you think back this case, where the facility was run by a private company and there was basically zero support or supervision:

To add to my post-this isn’t me slagging off social workers. I nearly trained as a SW, have huge empathy for them & am extremely glad I didn’t train as one.
I think a lot of SWwould agree social work needs reforming & investment.
It’s totally appropriate to slag off a broken system. You aren’t criticising the well-meaning staff trying to work within it.

Reactions: 9
I think the point you’ve made about lacking capacity is a great one. She was completely and utterly powerless against Cumbria SS.

Mother and baby supported living facilities sounds great, except when you think back this case, where the facility was run by a private company and there was basically zero support or supervision:

It’s totally appropriate to slag off a broken system. You aren’t criticising the well-meaning staff trying to work within it.
Yes I still think about that case all the time. That poor little girl.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Unfortunately I think with social services it's a broken system, much like the NHS - those who shout loudest will come off ok, those who can't advocate for themselves, or are just too accepting, won't. With the NHS I've seen such a difference between the care received by those who are from poorer backgrounds, not assertive, happy to accept the doctors know best, and those who are more insistent on what tests or investigations they need.

Back to the crime and murder, did anyone see the outcome of this case last week? I remember when it happened the families of the boys who died made out like they were innocent victims of a planned/targeted attack, not that they were running about with a machete...

Back to the crime and murder, did anyone see the outcome of this case last week? I remember when it happened the families of the boys who died made out like they were innocent victims of a planned/targeted attack, not that they were running about with a machete...

I followed it loosely. And yes, exactly. Cheeky loveable little rogues, running around with weapons, mugged someone for their jacket and then tried to break into a house, coming back to threaten one of the occupants for the phone they'd dropped earlier. They were out looking for trouble and they found it that night.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - these families need to be far more honest about their children and get themselves a very healthy dose of reality.

Reactions: 10
I would be sceptical of Laura Corkill’s version of events if it wasn’t supported by the professionals involved. And my professional experience of SS where domestic abuse is an issue is in line with Laura’s. There is far too much judgement & bias involved that most of the time leaves children at risk.
Social work needs modernising with a risk based approach & FAR more funding, including therapy for mothers.
The practice of mothers who end up traumatised due to abuse by a partner then losing their children to the abusive partner is far too common & needs to end immediately.
It sounds like Laura may not have been adequately supported by social work services, and still doesn’t fully understand why the decision was taken to remove her baby.

If her version of events is remotely close to the truth, i don’t feel that Leiland-James should have been placed for adoption. Laura may have been able to care for him herself eventually, or she may not ever have been able to parent him adequately, but she clearly loved him very much, and I wonder if a SGO or similar long term arrangement would have been more appropriate, in order to maintain the bond between mother and child.

I think that the circumstances leading up to him being placed for adoption should be looked at separately from the adoptive placement itself. Not to dispute Laura’s version of events, but I have rarely met a birth parent who could be honest with themselves about why their child was removed, they are not just “removed by a social worker” as the BBC stated this morning. Social workers cannot and do not remove children themselves, it’s a complex process and involves other professionals.

Whether or not the correct procedure was followed, and the right decision arrived at, is important and if there have been failings that needs to be addressed, however that’s a separate issue from the poor baby’s eventual fate. Even if the original child protection proceedings were a total tit show, that’s not why he was murdered, and I’d be very interested to know how/why Castle was approved as an adopter.

it is a heartbreaking case, but ultimately the person responsible is Castle. I hope LJ’s mum doesn’t blame herself and I hope she is being well supported to deal with her awful experiences and lifelong grief.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Ben is clearly one very fucked up boy. Horrible, horrible upbringing and basically encouraged, in some way, by everyone to kill his grandfather knowing he was damaged, suicidal and easily suggestible because of his autism. Not sure how he's going to manage in prison without his nan.

Interesting case to kick things off.
Where did you read the mitigation/ background to this case ? Its an interesting one.

Reactions: 3
Don’t SS always keep the child with the mother unless the situation is extreme? It will be interesting to see if the truth about what happened with Laura and SS ever comes out.

There was a kid at my child’s school who I was really worried about. He was so obese that he couldn’t even run. His teeth were black stumps. His parents never gave him a coat even on snow days, and he never had a water bottle. I went to the headmaster to air my concern and was told that there is ‘support in place’- meaning SS. However, years later, nothing had changed for that poor kid. No idea what the ‘support’ achieved.

• Sad
Ben is clearly one very fucked up boy. Horrible, horrible upbringing and basically encouraged, in some way, by everyone to kill his grandfather knowing he was damaged, suicidal and easily suggestible because of his autism. Not sure how he's going to manage in prison without his nan.

Interesting case to kick things off.
I’m struggling to feel sympathy for him because he’s also a convicted peadophile :/

• Heart
Poor girls, they were so beautiful. Saudi Arabia has a lot to answer for.
i was reading about this yesterday, and found myself pondering and thinking, and I thought to myself…if I was a police officer who went there to do a welfare check on the day they were cowering and quiet in a corner, one in front of and speaking for the other, quite obviously terrified but said ‘we’re okay’ , there is no way I wouldn’t insist that I knew full well they werent okay and we were going to help. But they’re adults, and if they say they’re okay even if they’re patently not, there’s nothing you can do ☹

• Sad
Where did you read the mitigation/ background to this case ? Its an interesting one.
It was televised for the first time ever today! I don’t know if it’s been published yet but you can watch it here (20 min video further down).

I’m not excusing what he’s done but I felt very sad hearing the life he had as a child and the various factors that resulted in harming others. He’s obviously a danger to the public so it’s right he’s in prison.

Reactions: 3
For a child to be removed at birth there has to be really strong evidence that it isn’t in their best interests to remain with birth parent(s).

Unfortunately with the adoption process, most approved adopters will be smart enough to know what they should and shouldn’t divulge to get what they want. I personally know of a couple who were approved but told so many lies on their paperwork, they basically wrote their own references. There seems to be a reluctance for people to speak out until after something awful happens.

I work as a social worker in Ireland. My boss is from the Uk. She worked there as a sw for over 20 years and her approach is much more heavy handed than anyone who qualified here. The removal of children from a mother in a DV situation would never happen here. Some of the cases she was involved with involved taking children away for the most minor of things. That would never happen here. We aren’t perfect here either by a long shot but the onus is on us to prove children are at risk rather than parents proving they can manage. I feel for that poor boys mum. She was treated appallingly 🥺

• Sad
Reactions: 10
For a child to be removed at birth there has to be really strong evidence that it isn’t in their best interests to remain with birth parent(s).
And (correct me if I’m wrong) the only mothers who have their babies removed at birth are those who’ve had children taken from them before. So if a woman who has had children taken into care turns up pregnant again… instant red flag.

I can’t think of any other situation that warrants such extreme action. So, unfortunately, Laura Corkill’s chances of keeping her baby were doomed from the start.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.