Real Life Crime and Murder #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I take all the advice with a grain of salt. Sadly, the people who want to do harm have access to the same information.

What I can’t get over is the absolute brazen evil of standing there in the street, talking to Sarah, gaining her trust/making her feel like she had to do as he said. In full view of witnesses, cool as a cucumber. Absolutely vile.

We can talk until we’re blue in the face about carrying items to protect ourselves when confronted by a threat but what if you don’t realise it’s a threat until it’s too late and you’re handcuffed in a car with a monster. I can’t stop thinking about poor Sarah and her broken family. They have been so brave this week. I hope he rots.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I remember when Couzens was arrested, a paper linked to a video of his young son and daughter talking to a camera in their house. Suddenly, from another room, you heard a bang and an adult male voice shouting. The daughter then said something like 'oops! Dad's just dropped something!' She and the boy laughed. The whole thing was such a scene of innocence and is poignant in the knowledge of what was ahead.

Reactions: 7
Just gotta hope that mothers of boys raise their sons better. I think these day's people are more "woke"... Like, before black people used to get beat in the street for being black, same with gays - now hardly anyone cares if your black, gay, trans, asian, whatever. My son is in secondary school and they have kids that come "out" all the time and no one bats an eyelid. It's just "oh okay, what do you identify as now? What's your new name?" And that's it. They have PSHE in schools now too and they never had that when I was at school. They have people go in and do plays about being in abusive relationships and then discuss with the kids what they thought was bad and what to do if ever in that situation, etc. It starts at home and education.
Again that’s putting the onus on women. Fathers need to teach their sons. Lads need to call other lads out.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Again that’s putting the onus on women. Fathers need to teach their sons. Lads need to call other lads out.
Thats assuming dads stick around, or not dead.

I take all the advice with a grain of salt. Sadly, the people who want to do harm have access to the same information.

What I can’t get over is the absolute brazen evil of standing there in the street, talking to Sarah, gaining her trust/making her feel like she had to do as he said. In full view of witnesses, cool as a cucumber. Absolutely vile.

We can talk until we’re blue in the face about carrying items to protect ourselves when confronted by a threat but what if you don’t realise it’s a threat until it’s too late and you’re handcuffed in a car with a monster. I can’t stop thinking about poor Sarah and her broken family. They have been so brave this week. I hope he rots.
He needs all the hot water & sugar attacks,

Reactions: 2
I don’t understand how he thought he could get away with it. I’m assuming he realised she would be able to identify him if she had lived so he decided to kill her instead.

Reactions: 6
re WC (I like that abbreviation - it also stands for toilet, which is where he belongs) - I said to my husband that he can't have just gone from flashing to doing this to Sarah, there must have been things in between that he wasn't caught for. Scary to think.

Reactions: 19
Police seal off French road at the scene of unsolved British murders

#

I remember this case from back in the day and how it was speculated that the family were targeted for some reason and the cyclist was just in the wrong place at the wrong time

Man killed himself before he could be quizzed over webcam girl's death

#

this one seems clear cut but very odd and sad. It’s strange what goes on in people’s private lives

Last edited:
Reactions: 7

This is all very well but bus drivers are told not too stop outside normal bus stops for their own safety ... If you shout at the passerby for help the 'police attacker' could still be in police mode and the passerby won't know any difference ... Run into a house ?! Most people lock front doors, and whose house is it lol!!

Just a list of hurried ill thought-out advice imo. Don't get me wrong, options are helpful but bit more thought needed

Reactions: 10
I’m not really sure what they can suggest. Other than some guidelines that would aid someone the police still have to do their job. Yes what happened to Sarah Everard was appalling. More so due to the way he used his position of trust to manipulate her. Yes the Met failed in their checks and investigations of him. But this is highly unusual and most police officers - men and women - join because they want to do the job right. There’s bad apples in all trees and the internal failings of the Met don’t help.
And I know people will now say that people saying what i am is part of the problem. But male violence isn’t going to be stamped out overnight. Women will still have to take steps to safeguard themselves just as any member of the public does on the streets. there will never be such a cultural shift that means we never have to fear violence.

I find it quite frustrating at the moment seeing all over the media asking how should we protect ourselves from the police and then when police staff, ex police, etc. are actually saying what you can do to check/verify etc, it’s not good a enough answer. I don’t know what else can be suggested other than the police never work singly crewed anymore. Which was a policy years ago. But if you want that changing you need to look at the Government and the funding they give to the police to recruit. They can’t cover the massive areas they are expected to by sending everyone out to everything in twos, there’s just not enough of them.

Wayne Couzens was a police officer but he was out that night in a hire car. He didn’t have blue lights flashing he had hazards. He wouldn’t have had a radio on the airwaves because he didn’t have one on him because he wasn’t on shift and there wasn’t one in the car. It’s devastating for Sarah because I’m sure that the moment she got in that car handcuffed and noticed that he didn’t radio anywhere and there were no signs the car was used for policing she would have likely realised she was being kidnapped. She must have been terrified. He bet on the fact that she wouldn’t have any knowledge or experience of how the police work/what a police car looks like even unmarked etc. There are certain giveaways. I know again it’s someone saying what people should do to protect themselves rather than what the police/men should do to change - but until new ways of working/work to address misogyny and so on is embedded, members of the public should take this opportunity to take on board the tips and advice from police staff etc to enable them to recognise a potentially shady situation should it happen.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Police refusing to issue a mugshot on this one. I can only recall one other case where that has happened to my knowledge - the murder of Majella Lynch in Southampton (it's a horrible case so be prepared if you look it up - one of the jurors fainted when the details were outlined in the opening statement) There may be others I'm not aware of or can't remember but it's a rare thing for the police to do.

079D9874-9487-445B-91D2-45A78AD69B6E.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Police refusing to issue a mugshot on this one. I can only recall one other case where that has happened to my knowledge - the murder of Majella Lynch in Southampton (it's a horrible case so be prepared if you look it up - one of the jurors fainted when the details were outlined in the opening statement) There may be others I'm not aware of or can't remember but it's a rare thing for the police to do.
Poor Majella- horrific.
I certainly think with the gang violence it would be beneficial not to give them the glory and kudos they seek.

Reactions: 11
I’m not really sure what they can suggest. Other than some guidelines that would aid someone the police still have to do their job. Yes what happened to Sarah Everard was appalling. More so due to the way he used his position of trust to manipulate her. Yes the Met failed in their checks and investigations of him. But this is highly unusual and most police officers - men and women - join because they want to do the job right. There’s bad apples in all trees and the internal failings of the Met don’t help.
And I know people will now say that people saying what i am is part of the problem. But male violence isn’t going to be stamped out overnight. Women will still have to take steps to safeguard themselves just as any member of the public does on the streets. there will never be such a cultural shift that means we never have to fear violence.

I find it quite frustrating at the moment seeing all over the media asking how should we protect ourselves from the police and then when police staff, ex police, etc. are actually saying what you can do to check/verify etc, it’s not good a enough answer. I don’t know what else can be suggested other than the police never work singly crewed anymore. Which was a policy years ago. But if you want that changing you need to look at the Government and the funding they give to the police to recruit. They can’t cover the massive areas they are expected to by sending everyone out to everything in twos, there’s just not enough of them.

Wayne Couzens was a police officer but he was out that night in a hire car. He didn’t have blue lights flashing he had hazards. He wouldn’t have had a radio on the airwaves because he didn’t have one on him because he wasn’t on shift and there wasn’t one in the car. It’s devastating for Sarah because I’m sure that the moment she got in that car handcuffed and noticed that he didn’t radio anywhere and there were no signs the car was used for policing she would have likely realised she was being kidnapped. She must have been terrified. He bet on the fact that she wouldn’t have any knowledge or experience of how the police work/what a police car looks like even unmarked etc. There are certain giveaways. I know again it’s someone saying what people should do to protect themselves rather than what the police/men should do to change - but until new ways of working/work to address misogyny and so on is embedded, members of the public should take this opportunity to take on board the tips and advice from police staff etc to enable them to recognise a potentially shady situation should it happen.
Although can I add I think the suggestion about flagging a bus down is bloody ridiculous

Reactions: 17

In terms of him slipping through the net it isn't rare though. 52% of Met police remained in their position after being found guilty of sexual misconduct.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I'll never forget a lovely lady i worked with years ago. Her daughter moved to Edinburgh and she always called her mum to check in. She was in my office and saying that she hadn't heard from her for a few weeks and that her flatmates hadn't seen her either, assuming she'd popped home for a visit. Local police were in my office interviewing her and getting all her contact numbers. Weeks went by and she still hadn't had contact. She was found by police, dead in a pensioners garden.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I'll never forget a lovely lady i worked with years ago. Her daughter moved to Edinburgh and she always called her mum to check in. She was in my office and saying that she hadn't heard from her for a few weeks and that her flatmates hadn't seen her either, assuming she'd popped home for a visit. Local police were in my office interviewing her and getting all her contact numbers. Weeks went by and she still hadn't had contact. She was found by police, dead in a pensioners garden.
I remember that case. It really shocked the city.

Reactions: 4
it really is never ending. Reading on twitter about a young girl, Miya Marcano, who went missing in Florida. Statement today said they found a body they believe is hers. Not a lot of details yet but apparently she rejected the maintenance person for her apartment building who ended up using a master key to enter her apartment

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Hi all, I’ve been following this thread and catching up on previous threads as well. Like you all, I’m absolutely sickened by the murder of Sarah Everard and Sabina Nessa who are so sadly, the latest, most high profile female murder victims. These cases have really made me dig deeper into my own thoughts and attitudes towards men and how their criminal behaviour is still accepted as the norm, and it’s us that continue to have to adapt our own lives and behaviour to avoid becoming another one of their victims.

I’ve been reflecting on my own very varied experiences with boyfriends in the past and so I’m much more aware in general than I would have been normally, which I view as a very positive thing although it’s made me feel worse about men and their motivations in general.

Today, I visited a very popular, very old tourist attraction in London. It was raining so we had the guided “tour” inside one of the famous monuments instead of walking around the building. So, the considerable crowd of tourists were sat down and were spoken to by a very charismatic, very charming, some would say funny, Paul Hollywood type former sergeant major tell us about the history of the place.

He was doing what I imagine is his usual charm offensive spiel which most people would find quite funny initially, before they had chance to actually think about it properly.

Two examples that stood out for me amongst his hugely sexist and misogynistic spiel:

He started making references to how some of the “ladies” in the audience would probably enjoy being sent to the torture rooms,

He boasted about how he had been chosen from 170 other applicants for the job and how he was vetted in order to get said job. Made a “joke” about how he just “never got caught”. What the hell does that mean? Everything or nothing? No matter, in light of what that thing that has just been sentenced to a life order in jail (I refuse to use its name) that sort of “humour” is just unacceptable.

This kind of attitude is inherent everywhere. I feel like reporting what I heard to his superiors, or even on his Facebook page, where he boasted about having thousands of followers. “Ladies, form an orderly queue” he actually said, only semi in jest at the end of the talk.

Sorry to derail the thread as this isn’t about an actual case, but rather about inherent misogyny that I witnessed today with my own ears.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.