Real Life Crime and Murder #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Comments like this though should be aimed at the people at the top who control the justice system. I know it must be extremely hard for them losing their loved ones but like experts have said, he was at a very high state of psychosis and you can't punish someone for having MH problems.

Attachments

Reactions: 7
Horrendous story. I have to say the second offender surprised me as she looks so normal and like a typical older woman. The poor monkeys that suffered for their sick thrills.
It sounds foolish to say this but I also was so shocked by the mumsy respectable looking second offender. The whole horrendous thing is beyond my comprehension anyhow so why I should find it particularly appalling that one of the people looks so "nice and normal" I don't know.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
The MH provision in this country is woeful at every level. We were recently witness to an incident and without saying too much I can’t believe what happened after. The person was basically just let back out in to the community where they continue to be a threat whilst awaiting their trial. If I’d not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn’t believe it. Naively up to this point I assumed that such incident would trigger a whole bunch of services that would protect the individual and the public- not the case. It’s actually terrifying.

Reactions: 11
The MH provision in this country is woeful at every level. We were recently witness to an incident and without saying too much I can’t believe what happened after. The person was basically just let back out in to the community where they continue to be a threat whilst awaiting their trial. If I’d not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn’t believe it. Naively up to this point I assumed that such incident would trigger a whole bunch of services that would protect the individual and the public- not the case. It’s actually terrifying.
There’s a similar issue nearby me, a man who is ill is constantly threatening and screaming at random passers by, often children, and the support is so bad he’s basically cared for by people in the community who have no actual responsibility, which is seen as “protecting” him by those affected by his actions and is tearing the local community apart. I’m worried something really bad will have to happen before anything changes

• Sad
Reactions: 16
He laid in wait for his victims who happened to be Barney and Grace, he was so psychotic but able to drive a van with ease until he could hit the pedestrians he injured. It doesn’t really add up. Plus he was known to police, known to the NHS team in the area. He will spend his time in a hospital where he can learn to play instruments, go to cooking classes, claim benefits and attend social events. He should have been given a hybrid sentence where he would eventually serve time in a prison.
But people with psychosis will still be able to perform normal tasks. Often they have voices telling them to do something in order to keep themselves safe, so in this case he could’ve been under the illusion he had to run people over or kill people to keep himself safe.
In most cases where a psychotic person has killed someone they have still been able to do normal tasks alongside the killing.
I have huge empathy for the family but another one in the camp of he got the correct sentence & MH services are woeful.

Reactions: 14
But people with psychosis will still be able to perform normal tasks. Often they have voices telling them to do something in order to keep themselves safe, so in this case he could’ve been under the illusion he had to run people over or kill people to keep himself safe.
In most cases where a psychotic person has killed someone they have still been able to do normal tasks alongside the killing.
I have huge empathy for the family but another one in the camp of he got the correct sentence & MH services are woeful.
yeah i hate the “but he was still able to do THIS [insert list of mundane tasks]” - mental illness has common traits obviously but it also manifests differently in most people. like you say, his psychosis may only have been focused on one part of the event.

as someone said more eloquently than me last page, i think the families are blinkered by grief at the moment which is completely understandable. i get the need to see the person who did this to your children/father in prison, but it arguably just isn’t the “best” or “right” place for him. mh support is already awful, and let him (and the poor victims) down completely.

Something doesn't add up...

"In October 2021 she was giving the first pupil – referred to as Boy A – additional maths lessons ahead of his GCSEs at the school where she worked and which cannot be named for legal reasons, Manchester Crown Court heard.

He later told police she set him a challenge to guess her mobile phone number, having given him ten of the 11 digits, Mr Allman said
."
I'm so confused over this, the flagrant waving to the cameras. The DM has shown she's displaying a baby bonnet in her outfit each day. She seems unhinged?? I'm genuinely curious to why was she bailed?!

There's a recent fiction book called 'Tampa' that covers a female teacher who has affairs with her male students. By the end she has to confront that she's mentally unwell. So my question is, why wasn't this woman cautioned more or put on remand the first time?!!!

I'm reminded by a case from about 2011/2 when a teacher named Jeremy frost eloped with a female student of his. He ended up being arrested immediately and going to prison for 2 years. I know abduction is far more serious, however this woman was allowed to be bailed and just continue to carry out paedophilia - call it what it is. Now she's in court like a spectacle.

If this was a bloke sleeping with two young female students and getting one pregnant, I'm sure he would be on remand turning upto court in a prison van. 😒😒😒😒😒

Reactions: 27
I'm so confused over this, the flagrant waving to the cameras. The DM has shown she's displaying a baby bonnet in her outfit each day. She seems unhinged?? I'm genuinely curious to why was she bailed?!

There's a recent fiction book called 'Tampa' that covers a female teacher who has affairs with her male students. By the end she has to confront that she's mentally unwell. So my question is, why wasn't this woman cautioned more or put on remand the first time?!!!

I'm reminded by a case from about 2011/2 when a teacher named Jeremy frost eloped with a female student of his. He ended up being arrested immediately and going to prison for 2 years. I know abduction is far more serious, however this woman was allowed to be bailed and just continue to carry out paedophilia - call it what it is. Now she's in court like a spectacle.

If this was a bloke sleeping with two young female students and getting one pregnant, I'm sure he would be on remand turning upto court in a prison van. 😒😒😒😒😒
It’s honestly baffling. I know these teacher/ pupil stories are nothing new but this one seems particularly awful. I don’t know if it’s because my DD is the same age and I just could not imagine any of her boy mates been put in this position.
There’s still an air of ignorance that a teenage lad would get a kick from this but the truth is so far from it. He was groomed by someone that was in a position of power and trust. Most 15 year old boys lack the maturity to understand the gravity of this situation let alone if he’s a vulnerable teen. Shes basically told him there’s no chance she’ll get pregnant too when that’s a lie. She totally changed the projection of his life.
If it was a girl and a male teacher I agree he’d have been behind bars.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Auriol Grey's manslaughter conviction has been overturned by the Court of Appeal today

This one has always really conflicted me I’ll be honest. I don’t think she should have been given a custodial sentence by any means but if it was my mum I’d want some recognition that her death was caused by the actions of someone else. Don’t suppose there’s really a way for that but I don’t think there’s any winners here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
Auriol Grey's manslaughter conviction has been overturned by the Court of Appeal today
It was a ridiculous conviction IMO. Should she have shouted? No. Could anyone at all have reasonably foreseen it would have led to the cyclist dying? Of course not. What’s next, a driver honking causing someone to stumble in surprise being charged with manslaughter?

Reactions: 13
It was a ridiculous conviction IMO. Should she have shouted? No. Could anyone at all have reasonably foreseen it would have led to the cyclist dying? Of course not. What’s next, a driver honking causing someone to stumble in surprise being charged with manslaughter?
She wasn’t just shouting, she came into physical contact with the cyclist. She didn’t mean to kill them but her actions led to them dying. I think she’s totally guilty of manslaughter. You can’t deny that pushing somebody into the road could very realistically cause them to die that’s why you don’t do this.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
She wasn’t just shouting, she came into physical contact with the cyclist. She didn’t mean to kill them but her actions led to them dying. I think she’s totally guilty of manslaughter. You can’t deny that pushing somebody into the road could very realistically cause them to die that’s why you don’t do this.
I always thought it was the hand movements too- almost forcing her into the road. I read an article about the poor lady who crashed in to her. She’s only a young mum taking her daughter to a play date. It’s a really awful case.

Reactions: 9
The articles I’ve all read said she didn’t come into physical contact? Just that she waved her arm towards the road.

If she’d pushed her it would be very different and I doubt they’d have overturned at the court of appeal. As for sudden stop, surely in a shared space (if it was, there seems to be debate about that) a cyclist should always be prepared to safely make one? It’s an inherent risk of cycling generally but even more so in a shared space where there are likely to be kids, dogs etc.

ETA: from the bbc article the prosecution said this “During her original trial, Ms Grey's actions had been described as "hostile gesticulation" towards Mrs Ward.”

if she’d pushed her it would surely have been described as a push?

Reactions: 6
The video I saw she was waving her hands towards the road almost blocking the path so the cyclist had to make a sudden stop and fell into the road. I don’t recall seeing her push her.

Reactions: 3
She was definitely gesticulating as well as shouting.
She also left the scene and went grocery shopping before any emergency vehicles arrived on scene and then showed no remorse about what happened. I honestly have zero sympathy to her being given prison time.

Reactions: 18
She was definitely gesticulating as well as shouting.
She also left the scene and went grocery shopping before any emergency vehicles arrived on scene and then showed no remorse about what happened. I honestly have zero sympathy to her being given prison time.
There’s an absolutely massive difference between gesticulating and pushing though.

The video I saw she was waving her hands towards the road almost blocking the path so the cyclist had to make a sudden stop and fell into the road. I don’t recall seeing her push her.
Yes not technically pushing but gesticulating and deliberately blocking the shared path which lead to the accident. Then walking away to buy milk and whatever.

Reactions: 6
I think part of the problem for me was she wasn’t acting like someone who was scared a bike was going to knock into her. She had plenty of space to step to the side and still shout etc whilst giving the cyclist room to be out of her way. She was just very angry, then showed no remorse and I could see how that could play to a jury. It didn’t really fit in with the vulnerable “little old lady” (although she obviously is).

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.