Real Life Crime and Murder #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think people commit murder with the idea of their future sentence in mind. It’s been shown time and time again that the death sentence is not a deterrent for crime.

Not having a go, I realise my tone could come off a bit sarky! Not intended!
Oh no I didn’t read it as sarcasm at all.
---
Jesus. What is the world coming to..
IMG_7585.jpeg
IMG_7586.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
A genuine question because I've seen a lot about atonement in the last few pages. What do people think is an appropriate level of atonement for two lives? Because that's the thing with murder. It's absolutely final for the victim. Basically what price do you set on human life? The atonement you need to carry out is set by the court. You can appeal that if you think it's unfair, but it IS the atonement that you are set.

Let's also not create a martyr out of Ronald Sanford. Read the caselaw decision, which is based on the facts, for balance to an agenda driven change.org petition. These elderly ladies were his neighbours, they were known to Sanford, selected because of their vulnerability, and each were stabbed multiple times. Can you think of a reason other than to kill, which would require multiple stabbings? Self defence? Both ladies were in their 80s and would have been no threat to him even at 13.

Just because a guy is articulate doesn't make him innocent. Wasn't Ted Bundy notoriously personable?

Reactions: 16
Let's also not create a martyr out of Ronald Sanford. Read the caselaw decision, which is based on the facts, for balance to an agenda driven change.org petition. These elderly ladies were his neighbours, they were known to Sanford, selected because of their vulnerability, and each were stabbed multiple times. Can you think of a reason other than to kill, which would require multiple stabbings? Self defence? Both ladies were in their 80s and would have been no threat to him even at 13.

Just because a guy is articulate doesn't make him innocent. Wasn't Ted Bundy notoriously personable?
Completely agree. When all’s said and done, he did kill 2 vulnerable elderly ladies. I don’t think he’s innocent (I can’t remember the interview I watched word for word but I’m fairly sure he admitted what he’d done) but I do think he’s atoned and I do think he’s shown remorse. But then the ladies still died a horrible death at his hands. Like I say, I’m torn.

Reactions: 3
What do people think is an appropriate level of atonement for two lives? Because that's the thing with murder. It's absolutely final for the victim. Basically what price do you set on human life? The atonement you need to carry out is set by the court. You can appeal that if you think it's unfair, but it IS the atonement that you are set.
A life sentence, that is actually whole life. I can’t get onboard with the death penalty, but if you murder someone then you should spend your entire life in prison.

Reactions: 13
A genuine question because I've seen a lot about atonement in the last few pages. What do people think is an appropriate level of atonement for two lives? Because that's the thing with murder. It's absolutely final for the victim. Basically what price do you set on human life? The atonement you need to carry out is set by the court. You can appeal that if you think it's unfair, but it IS the atonement that you are set.

It’s hard. A whole life sentence for a young teenager just seems awful.
I know however if it was my loved one who’d been murdered I’d absolutely agree with it.

Reactions: 10
It’s hard. A whole life sentence for a young teenager just seems awful.
I know however if it was my loved one who’d been murdered I’d absolutely agree with it.
This is my view (I think!) Life should mean life despite the very valid discussion around whether you should be punished as an adult for something (albeit something terrible) you did as a child.

Reactions: 4
A life sentence, that is actually whole life. I can’t get onboard with the death penalty, but if you murder someone then you should spend your entire life in prison.
Totally agree, every country should have that. We should have that! If you are willing to murder someone then you should die in prison. It's hard when it comes to children though, they aren't developed and easily lead by others. In james bulgers case, one of them has repeatedly offended and he should never be released, he had his chance. The other one though hasn't committed a crime since I don't think? Please correct me if I'm wrong. When it comes to children who kill others I don't know if life behind bars is the answer, some people can be rehabilitated especially younger people. In others cases though there's just no hope in that person being rehabilitated so they belong in prison.

Reactions: 6
Totally agree, every country should have that. We should have that! If you are willing to murder someone then you should die in prison. It's hard when it comes to children though, they aren't developed and easily lead by others. In james bulgers case, one of them has repeatedly offended and he should never be released, he had his chance. The other one though hasn't committed a crime since I don't think? Please correct me if I'm wrong. When it comes to children who kill others I don't know if life behind bars is the answer, some people can be rehabilitated especially younger people. In others cases though there's just no hope in that person being rehabilitated so they belong in prison.
Oh yes sorry I meant adults. Children is so hard.

One of JB’s killers lives a normal life now apparently. Has a partner who knows who he was, too.

Oh yes sorry I meant adults. Children is so hard.

One of JB’s killers lives a normal life now apparently. Has a partner who knows who he was, too.
And he was the one the prosecutors said was the ringleader which always seems so odd now considering how the two ended up as adults

When it comes to children who kill others I don't know if life behind bars is the answer, some people can be rehabilitated especially younger people. In others cases though there's just no hope in that person being rehabilitated so they belong in prison.
An example being the case of Mary Bell, which I only (due to this thread actually) read the full details of very recently.

An example being the case of Mary Bell, which I only (due to this thread actually) read the full details of very recently.
I've heard of her but read about her more. She suffered a lot as a child but I do like how she admits that it wasn't an excuse for her crimes. She seems to have not reoffended and has a grandchild. Rehabilitation can be done but only at a younger age it seems like.

Reactions: 8

I don’t think he’s a martyr at all. I was just sharing what he did. If anything his friend should be banged up with him.
To me a life for a life that’s what the punishment should be, not a prison sentence where you live to old age I don’t see that as a punishment the victims don’t live to an old age they were brutally murdered from what I’ve seen online people on death row are murder/rape. Murder alone, kidnap and murder etc etc.

Reactions: 1
I don’t think he’s a martyr at all. I was just sharing what he did. If anything his friend should be banged up with him.
To me a life for a life that’s what the punishment should be, not a prison sentence where you live to old age I don’t see that as a punishment the victims don’t live to an old age they were brutally murdered from what I’ve seen online people on death row are murder/rape. Murder alone, kidnap and murder etc etc.
Surely though you would rather them live to a old age in prison knowing that they are restricted forever rather than the easy way out which is death? They are on death row for 20+ years anyway. I've mentioned before it's torture for the victims families as they have constant letters about clemency hearings or going to life without parole. I would rather them go to prison and I never have to hear about them again until they die.

Reactions: 8
Surely though you would rather them live to a old age in prison knowing that they are restricted forever rather than the easy way out which is death? They are on death row for 20+ years anyway. I've mentioned before it's torture for the victims families as they have constant letters about clemency hearings or going to life without parole. I would rather them go to prison and I never have to hear about them again until they die.
When has death, the literal end to existence, ever been an easy way out of anything?

I’ve just watched Sky crime about Lee Ford from Cornwall,Murdered wife and her children,Bloody horrendous.This piece of tit never ever be released.

• Wow
From what I’ve seen their death isn’t exactly painless is it. So technically they’re not dying peacefully.

Reactions: 3
I spent the weekend doing my regular read-through of the list of unsolved murders 1990s to present on Wikipedia.

Now I'm feeling a bit spooked because one of them just came up on local news as it's the 25th anniversary and the family are still campaigning for justice and want a public enquiry. It seems the police handled the case badly.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.