Qatar World Cup 2022 šŸ‡¶šŸ‡¦

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And now they have announced a 3 min delay on the televised games, to stop people seeing ā€˜alcohol and LGBT peopleā€™ on screen.

Assuming instead of protesting.

Not that Iā€™m a gambler but theyā€™ve fucked the betting market now.

Absolute farce.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
I wonder if Beckham has to fly out there and keep saying what an amazing country it is for his 277 million deal?

Reactions: 5
To give the tournament to Qatar in the first place was frankly the greediest decision in FIFA history. And that is against some very stiff competition. But letā€™s get it in context. The attitudes of Islamic countries towards alcohol, sexual morality, and homosexuality are well known and not a sudden revelation, and Qatar tends to follow a behind closed doors policy. There will be many gay Qataris and they are not routinely hung from lampposts. Its a month long tournament, and Iā€™m sure that any gay fans can refrain from ripping their partners clothes off publicly in the middle of Doha, unless they are intent on making ā€œa pointā€ in which case the consequences are yours and yours alone.

The last World Cup was in Russia and well I know which regime I prefer.

Getting pissed will have to wait till youā€™re back in the hotel. Is that a bad thing?

• Angry
Reactions: 4
Quite a last minute turn about though init. Getting folk out there on a certain understanding and then yanking it. To what end I donā€™t know. Boosting their crime statistics?

Itā€™s all very odd and I canā€™t summon much enthusiasm which isnā€™t the teamsā€™ faults.

Reactions: 3
It's all the u turns with days to go after having over ten years to sort this out.

I can't imagine the mess in marketing companies all around the place who prepared campaigns and are now not going ahead with them.

People were saying back in 2010 what a disaster this would all be, but it's managing to get worse than people expected.

And now they have announced a 3 min delay on the televised games, to stop people seeing ā€˜alcohol and LGBT peopleā€™ on screen.

Assuming instead of protesting.

Not that Iā€™m a gambler but theyā€™ve fucked the betting market now.

Absolute farce.
This is fake news, so betting fans can relax.

(Not in Qatar though, gambling is haram.)

Bizarre rant by Infantino

Linking the criticisms of the Qatar World Cup to European imperialism. As we know the Arabs themselves were never ever complicit in a spot of their own imperialism and slave trading.....

We have [been] told many, many lessons from some Europeans, from the western world,ā€ Infantino said on Saturday. ā€œI think for what we Europeans have been doing [for] the last 3,000 years we should be apologising for [the] next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people.ā€
Infantino began his speech by saying: ā€œToday I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel [like] a migrant worker.
ā€œOf course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated [against], to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country.
To acquiesce to Macronā€™s call to stay silent on Qatar would be a crime in itself | Barney Ronay
ā€œAs a child I was bullied ā€“ because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Donā€™t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. And this is what we should be doing.ā€

Infantino ended his hour-long press conference with an instruction to assembled journalists not to criticise the host nation. ā€œIf you need to criticise anybody, donā€™t put pressure on the players, the coaches.
ā€œYou want to criticise. You can crucify me. Iā€™m here for that. Donā€™t criticise anyone. Donā€™t criticise Qatar. Let people enjoy this World Cup.ā€

Copied from The Guardian. What a bizarre speech. Obviously feeling the heat.

• Wow
We have [been] told many, many lessons from some Europeans, from the western world,ā€ Infantino said on Saturday. ā€œI think for what we Europeans have been doing [for] the last 3,000 years we should be apologising for [the] next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people.ā€
Infantino began his speech by saying: ā€œToday I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel [like] a migrant worker.
ā€œOf course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated [against], to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country.
To acquiesce to Macronā€™s call to stay silent on Qatar would be a crime in itself | Barney Ronay
ā€œAs a child I was bullied ā€“ because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Donā€™t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. And this is what we should be doing.ā€

Infantino ended his hour-long press conference with an instruction to assembled journalists not to criticise the host nation. ā€œIf you need to criticise anybody, donā€™t put pressure on the players, the coaches.
ā€œYou want to criticise. You can crucify me. Iā€™m here for that. Donā€™t criticise anyone. Donā€™t criticise Qatar. Let people enjoy this World Cup.ā€

Copied from The Guardian. What a bizarre speech. Obviously feeling the heat.
I guess with the World Cup there are literally billions of dollars at stake.

Remember the time when football was just a sport?

Reactions: 1
Heaven forbid you accept past mistakes and that you've educated yourself to be better.

---

Robbie Williams has defended his decision to perform during the highly controversial World Cup in Qatar, claiming it would be 'hypocritical' not to go.

His comments come after stars Dua Lipa, Rod Stewart and Shakira all confirmed they would boycott the competition's opening ceremony tomorrow.

Williams, 48, has been blasted for performing at the World Cup despite international condemnation of Qatar's human rights record including its criminalisation of homosexuality and links to Islamist extremism.

The former Take That member argued that it would be wrong not to perform because of human rights concerns, because he has already performed in countries with objectionable regimes.

He added that if he refused to play in places where human rights were abused, 'I wouldn't even be able to perform in my own kitchen'.

• Haha
  • Wow
Heaven forbid you accept past mistakes and that you've educated yourself to be better.

---

Robbie Williams has defended his decision to perform during the highly controversial World Cup in Qatar, claiming it would be 'hypocritical' not to go.

His comments come after stars Dua Lipa, Rod Stewart and Shakira all confirmed they would boycott the competition's opening ceremony tomorrow.

Williams, 48, has been blasted for performing at the World Cup despite international condemnation of Qatar's human rights record including its criminalisation of homosexuality and links to Islamist extremism.

The former Take That member argued that it would be wrong not to perform because of human rights concerns, because he has already performed in countries with objectionable regimes.

He added that if he refused to play in places where human rights were abused, 'I wouldn't even be able to perform in my own kitchen'.
I'm assuming he's donating his fee to an appropriate charity then?

---

What on earth is going on in Robbie's kitchen šŸ¤”

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Maluma walks out of an interview when asked tough questions.

Most of the comments are in favour of Maluma. "He's just there to have fun", "It's got nothing to do with him", etc. Always so easy to turn a blind eye when your rights aren't impacted.

• Haha
The tit show that keeps on giving.

I agree with questioning artists there. They can't just shrug their shoulders and say they're only there for a good time.

After all it's only the hugely successful and wealthy ones who don't need the money who get the invites.

Reactions: 9
To give the tournament to Qatar in the first place was frankly the greediest decision in FIFA history. And that is against some very stiff competition. But letā€™s get it in context. The attitudes of Islamic countries towards alcohol, sexual morality, and homosexuality are well known and not a sudden revelation, and Qatar tends to follow a behind closed doors policy. There will be many gay Qataris and they are not routinely hung from lampposts. Its a month long tournament, and Iā€™m sure that any gay fans can refrain from ripping their partners clothes off publicly in the middle of Doha, unless they are intent on making ā€œa pointā€ in which case the consequences are yours and yours alone.

The last World Cup was in Russia and well I know which regime I prefer.

Getting pissed will have to wait till youā€™re back in the hotel. Is that a bad thing?
I think lots of the hotels are dry too. Doubt thereā€™s much to do between games and the cost of going is probably why very few actual fans are going

James Cleverly stated people should just respect the laws of Qatar. He wouldn't be saying that if it was a race issue I bet

Reactions: 4