Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a Cockapoo and she did exactly the same with the puppy pads, would pee or poo next to them - I always thought it was because she didn’t want to ruin them so went on the would floors instead.

She was also very bitey as pup but only when you played with her.

Trust me, they grow out of it very very quickly, she will still bite occasionally (when playing) but it’s not hard…more of a clamp haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Those puppy teeth are like razor blades when they get you aren't they! I always think aww I'd love to get my boy a little brother to play with then I remember the biting during the puppy stage and think.... maybe not 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Its difficult if you dont have grass of your own but if you know for sure there are no unvaccinated dogs using it Id be ditching the pads and taking outside for all toilets. Pads only train a dog to toilet inside which is crazy because we dont want that long term. You could buy a patch of turf and that solely outside until pup is vaccinated. I take out every 30 to 40 minutes in the day time, after every sleep, play and meal. Stay with your pup until they go, use a cue word when they go. That way you will be teaching them to toilet on command. Lots of praise when they do go outside. Ive did the above with all my pups and theyve been toilet trained reliably v quickly. Im talking a few weeks max.

The crate training I wouldnt leave a dog to cry, especially not a pup, youl definitely get differing opinions on this but for me it goes against everything I did as a human parent to leave a small baby to cry. We slept next to the crate at night until the pup was happy to be left. That way if they wimpered or cried I could stick my hand through the crate to settle them. It also meant that I knew when to take them out to toilet at night. Out, toilet and straight back in.

The biting, make sure the dog is getting enough sleep, a 9 week old puppy should be sleeping 16 to 18 hours per day. The biting and hyper behaviour will escalate if the pup is over tired. When they bite, offer an alternative, frozen carrot, frozen tied up tea towel, tug toys etc. I found the best thing was to yelp and turn my back on them if they hurt. However do not tell them off for being nibbly, your pup is learning bite inhibition at the moment so its important they learn was is too much and what is ok. Its v normal and their wee teeth are sore.

Finally it does get better, I promise. I have hated puppy hood every time. Its so mentally and physically draining but its so worth it.

• Heart
I just remember bleeding constantly from the biting, again it was all very playful and I kept getting advice. The only one that worked was to replace ‘yourself’ with a toy and then she naturally grew out of it. Hope all is going well - I’ve said it a million times in this thread (and will continue to do, so as this thread was a haven to me when my pup was a baby) IT GETS BETTER!
---
Its difficult if you dont have grass of your own but if you know for sure there are no unvaccinated dogs using it Id be ditching the pads and taking outside for all toilets. Pads only train a dog to toilet inside which is crazy because we dont want that long term. You could buy a patch of turf and that solely outside until pup is vaccinated. I take out every 30 to 40 minutes in the day time, after every sleep, play and meal. Stay with your pup until they go, use a cue word when they go. That way you will be teaching them to toilet on command. Lots of praise when they do go outside. Ive did the above with all my pups and theyve been toilet trained reliably v quickly. Im talking a few weeks max.

The crate training I wouldnt leave a dog to cry, especially not a pup, youl definitely get differing opinions on this but for me it goes against everything I did as a human parent to leave a small baby to cry. We slept next to the crate at night until the pup was happy to be left. That way if they wimpered or cried I could stick my hand through the crate to settle them. It also meant that I knew when to take them out to toilet at night. Out, toilet and straight back in.

The biting, make sure the dog is getting enough sleep, a 9 week old puppy should be sleeping 16 to 18 hours per day. The biting and hyper behaviour will escalate if the pup is over tired. When they bite, offer an alternative, frozen carrot, frozen tied up tea towel, tug toys etc. I found the best thing was to yelp and turn my back on them if they hurt. However do not tell them off for being nibbly, your pup is learning bite inhibition at the moment so its important they learn was is too much and what is ok. Its v normal and their wee teeth are sore.

Finally it does get better, I promise. I have hated puppy hood every time. Its so mentally and physically draining but its so worth it.
This 100% (I think you were one of my mentors Caffeine Fiend during the early days).

For me, pads didn’t work because they were either ignored or she’d find a spot. We bought a couple of bits turf for the garden which were really cheap from the garden centre and worked really well.

As for the crate, I also slept next to it for a couple of nights but she adapted to it really quickly. I like to think of it as her safe space/bedroom so if she wants quiet time, or to get away from strokes and playing she can go in there and know that she won’t be disturbed or her space be invaded.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I just remember bleeding constantly from the biting, again it was all very playful and I kept getting advice. The only one that worked was to replace ‘yourself’ with a toy and then she naturally grew out of it. Hope all is going well - I’ve said it a million times in this thread (and will continue to do, so as this thread was a haven to me when my pup was a baby) IT GETS BETTER!
---

This 100% (I think you were one of my mentors Caffeine Fiend during the early days).

For me, pads didn’t work because they were either ignored or she’d find a spot. We bought a couple of bits turf for the garden which were really cheap from the garden centre and worked really well.

As for the crate, I also slept next to it for a couple of nights but she adapted to it really quickly. I like to think of it as her safe space/bedroom so if she wants quiet time, or to get away from strokes and playing she can go in there and know that she won’t be disturbed or her space be invaded.
Just realised there are a pile of typos in my post 🥴 not changing it now 😆 but yes I probably was 🙈 its hellish. Such hard work. I have disliked it every time. Its awful.

• Haha
Thank you guys so much! This is all so helpful. Turf is an amazing idea I will definitely look into that. we do sleep beside the crate but he’s in our room, we are hoping to move him out eventually into the living room. Is he more likely to adapt if we sleep on the couch beside his crate? I’m worried that if we never leave him overnight now we’ll never be able to. I know that likely won’t be the case, but it feels that way sometimes 😅

Thank you guys so much! This is all so helpful. Turf is an amazing idea I will definitely look into that. we do sleep beside the crate but he’s in our room, we are hoping to move him out eventually into the living room. Is he more likely to adapt if we sleep on the couch beside his crate? I’m worried that if we never leave him overnight now we’ll never be able to. I know that likely won’t be the case, but it feels that way sometimes 😅
It really doesnt work like that. I know it seems like it but it wont I promise. My dogs have the freedom to choose now and often will sleep downstairs. Particularly when its hot.

Cockapoos are needy dogs, they are v human orientated. They love to be near their humans. Its the cocker spaniel in them.

However right now you want to create a secure and confident dog and the way to do it is actually allow them to be near you if they need to be. I know it seems counter intuituve but it isnt. Right now theyve been taken from their mother and siblings, its all theyve ever known. Youre their parent now and they need to learn to trust you. They cant learn that if they feel theyve been left.

My dogs are all happy to be left now, no issues. As are my human skin children and I treated them the same 😆

• Heart
I think it really is a case of making them feel that their crate is a safe and secure place for them (a bedroom) my dog has always slept downstairs in her crate but after a few months was allowed to roam around downstairs (normally just sleep on the sofa) she does tend to come upstairs if there’s activity but she’s more than happy to sleep downstairs at night. I keep her crate door open but she tends just head in there at about 10pm (so I don’t even get my night time cuddle anymore 😩😩😩)

• Heart
This is so reassuring thank you! how long roughly would you say it took them to be comfortable with the crate? I’m happy to stay beside him while he’s in but I hate seeing him look sad in there 😢 a lot of the time he’s okay in there but without fail as soon as the door is opened he’s out

This is so reassuring thank you! how long roughly would you say it took them to be comfortable with the crate? I’m happy to stay beside him while he’s in but I hate seeing him look sad in there 😢 a lot of the time he’s okay in there but without fail as soon as the door is opened he’s out
Thats ok, I honestly wouldnt stress about it. If he goes in at night and is happy to be comforted through the bars work with that.

Dog Training Advice And Support on facebook has some great activities for training a dog to like the crate. Ultimately you want him going in there of his own accord in the day so throw a treat in, if he goes in and gets it and comes out great, if he stays in give him another treat. Create a positive reinforcement from it. At night Id just stay close and comfort.

All my dogs have been different with the crate. One has never liked it and wont go in now. The others have grown to see it as a safe space. I didnt do anything different with either of them.

• Heart
I was thinking about getting a puppy next year but checking insurance prices I’m not sure I will anymore. I still believe insurance is 100% worth it though and I may still get a puppy. I think once I have saved the money I’d need I’ll start putting away the cost of a dog for a few months to see if I can afford one monthly first

Thats ok, I honestly wouldnt stress about it. If he goes in at night and is happy to be comforted through the bars work with that.

Dog Training Advice And Support on facebook has some great activities for training a dog to like the crate. Ultimately you want him going in there of his own accord in the day so throw a treat in, if he goes in and gets it and comes out great, if he stays in give him another treat. Create a positive reinforcement from it. At night Id just stay close and comfort.

All my dogs have been different with the crate. One has never liked it and wont go in now. The others have grown to see it as a safe space. I didnt do anything different with either of them.
Yep, mine was fine over a few days I think (it’s all a blur) but she would wake up early and bark the house the down. So a quick in and out wee and she was fine. I would say within a couple of months she was spot on - bed at 10 and then only got up when I did. But it would obviously vary. Just keep going and understand that this is the hardest part and it’s so so worth it!

• Heart
You’ve had some brill advice so I won’t add much else but just wanted to say that sometimes it feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back and when that happens you have to go back to basics with regards to treats and praise for doing what you want them to do.

We ditched the crate when ours was about 6 months as ultimately we wanted him to have freedom to roam. He was then in our bed every night and I worried that we were making a rod for our own back till I read the guides in the Facebook group mentioned above about secure attachment, and now he does take himself to his own bed for parts of the night then comes back.

It’s been hot recently so he’s been basically nocturnal keeping us up all night but then I think how uncomfortable it is for us adults and children/babies so no wonder he can’t sleep.

• Heart
Can someone please tell me at what age it gets easier 😩 I literally can’t get a minutes peace, he’s constantly biting, yelping, barking. Anything we give him to bite instead of the furniture he isn’t interested, if he bites and we turn our back to ignore him he keeps jumping about biting anyway and doesn’t even notice we’re ignoring him. He cries so much if you do anything else but sit with him. I feel like we just can’t get anything done and this is the first day that we’ve really felt like we’ve made a mistake and are in over our heads. I’ve never felt so sleep deprived. I don’t even know if I’m writing this for reassurance or advice or just to vent or all three 🤣

• Heart
Can someone please tell me at what age it gets easier 😩 I literally can’t get a minutes peace, he’s constantly biting, yelping, barking. Anything we give him to bite instead of the furniture he isn’t interested, if he bites and we turn our back to ignore him he keeps jumping about biting anyway and doesn’t even notice we’re ignoring him. He cries so much if you do anything else but sit with him. I feel like we just can’t get anything done and this is the first day that we’ve really felt like we’ve made a mistake and are in over our heads. I’ve never felt so sleep deprived. I don’t even know if I’m writing this for reassurance or advice or just to vent or all three 🤣
Uh oh, you're at that stage 😂 don't worry - we've all been there. I used to cry and cry saying to my bf "I love him SO MUCH but I don't know if I can do this" 😂😂 I don't remember the exact age it got easier for us, and I guess all dogs/breeds are different but I promise you IT WILL GET EASIER. He will slowly start to become more independent and the biting, barking, nagging will subside. I can really sympathise with you because the whole "turn your back and ignore" thing didn't really work with us either, at the start it did but then he soon became immune to it and would just jump up, bite more or bark louder. Have you tried lots of positive reinforcement? Reinforce the good behaviour the second it happens. Keep a treat in your pocket at all times so that you can reward immediately.

• Heart
I used to tell my puppy he ruined our family :cry: I hate myself for it now and things did get easier, but at the time I believed it!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I had a few weeks of thinking I’d made the biggest mistake ever, I would literally sit on the living room floor crying because I never had a single second to myself. I knew that if I gave her up, despite considering it numerous times in order to save my relationship (I chose the dog) and actually sleep again - I stuck with it. Best thing I ever did. To echo everyone else here (who were literally my saviours during this period) it gets better and is so worth it. In a few weeks time there will be another poster with the exact same story as yours and you’ll realise how far you’ve come and be able to offer that first hand advice. Stick with it, it’s all worth it x

• Heart
Thanks so much, this thread has helped me so much! Using lots of positive reinforcements but sometimes it just feels like he’s not taking anything in. I keep telling myself one day we’ll look back and it’ll seem like forever ago it was so hard so it’s reassuring to know this will be the case!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Another one who's been there and got the (holey) t-shirt. Echoing what others have said, it is so tough but it is only a phase and doesn't last forever @vanilla cupcakes ❤ Hopefully he will be like ours, and it will be a sudden switch where they realise that they can be okay on their own (for a while) and can sleep through the night and then they're happier because they aren't over-tired and exhausted all the time. Positive reinforcement is so important too, even when you're at the end of your tether (it can be so tough). Most of all make time to play with him, handle him, stimulate him as he will be learning so much at this age.

• Heart
A while, I will not sugar coat it. Cockapoos are intense as puppies, all puppies are but these creatures are something else.

I will say its common to feel like this though, Ive felt it every time. I just do not like puppies.

More sleep should help with some of the unwanted behaviour. A puppy who is over tired will be worse behaved.

You wont get anything done and I say the same thing to new puppy parents as I say to parents of actual babies. Adjust your expectations, your puppy is an individual and will grow and mature when they are ready. I think often our own expectations make the situation feel worse. If we say its going to be tit, they are little arseholes it helps 😁

If you have 2 adults at home it is important you both attempt to get puppy free time. Where you know you are off duty and you can escape.

It is such an intense, stressful, all consuming time but I promise it does pass. Have you booked puppy training classes?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.