Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please help me! I haven’t slept since we got our pup a few days ago. First few nights she was in a pen in our room but hardly settled so we tried crate training today - managed to get her to sleep in there but tonight when she was so tired she couldn’t even open her eyes we put her to bed in the crate and we’ve had 2 hours of screaming even when we took her out to comfort her. I’ve been in tears myself. Everyone I speak to has different advice.
Put the crate next to your bed and put your hand through it if shes unsettled.

Ive trained all of my dogs this way and its worked.

I personally dont leave my pups to cry, never have done and theyve all grown into great dogs that are happy to be left. Right now your pup has been taken away from their mum and siblings and is probably feeling really insecure so lots of love and reassurance.

They will sleep eventually. If shes next to you now at night she should be able to alert you that she needs the toilet too.

Reactions: 4
Please help me! I haven’t slept since we got our pup a few days ago. First few nights she was in a pen in our room but hardly settled so we tried crate training today - managed to get her to sleep in there but tonight when she was so tired she couldn’t even open her eyes we put her to bed in the crate and we’ve had 2 hours of screaming even when we took her out to comfort her. I’ve been in tears myself. Everyone I speak to has different advice.
this post has given me ptsd 😂 but please please remember it will get easier and it is SO worth it. I honestly don’t know how I would’ve got through the early days without Tattle and the support of the people on this thread. So keep posting updates and we’ll be here.

• Heart
  • Haha
Does she nap in her crate during the day? I remember reading that it was really important to make sure that the pup feels safe and comfortable in there during the day, so then at night time it isn't such a shock. Puppies are pretty quick to adapt, so don't feel too stressed about it, it's amazing how suddenly things click into place. Moving the crate into your bedroom is a good idea too, you could also try putting an item of clothing or material that smells of you in there with her? We got one of those heartbeat teddies but I don't think our pup was that bothered with the beating heart element just liked having something to snuggle into.

Reactions: 1
My pup doesn’t even say goodnight to me anymore, she just takes herself off to her crate at 10pm or when the lights start going off. It breaks my heart that I don’t get that final cuddle!

• Heart
My advice would be to persevere. It's hard, I know I have been there! Our first boy was an absolute ANGEL, gave no shits, straight to bed. Our second boy was awful. Honestly, it took him about a month to settle. Once we let them sleep together, they were fine.

She's just scared. I promise it will get easier! Xxx

Reactions: 2
We were there a few months ago! We crate trained and had her crate in the kitchen. Got her asleep in there, tiptoed off and went to bed. She would wake up 4-5 times a night at first. We took it in turns a night each 🤣 we went down and lay on the kitchen floor with her until she fell back asleep then tiptoed off again and repeat! Took about 10 days of doing this before she got used to it and now she sleeps in her crate happily x

We were there a few months ago! We crate trained and had her crate in the kitchen. Got her asleep in there, tiptoed off and went to bed. She would wake up 4-5 times a night at first. We took it in turns a night each 🤣 we went down and lay on the kitchen floor with her until she fell back asleep then tiptoed off again and repeat! Took about 10 days of doing this before she got used to it and now she sleeps in her crate happily x
The lack of sleep we had in the first month was exhausting.

We also took him on holiday with us just before he turned a year old and he regressed completely! Wouldn't sleep without one of us in the room 😭

The lack of sleep we had in the first month was exhausting.

We also took him on holiday with us just before he turned a year old and he regressed completely! Wouldn't sleep without one of us in the room 😭
Oh god! We stayed in a tiny shepherds hut when she was about 5 months and took her crate with us. It took up the whole hut but didn’t want to go back to square one with the sleeping 🤣

I don’t feel like anyone really tells you about how awful the first few months are!!

My boy seemed to take to the crate no problem, but he would wake up yapping or squealing for the toilet at least twice a night for about 5 months 😴 Not sure if it helped but we covered his crate with a blanket and had like a crate bumper so it was nice and dark and cosy in there and also he didn’t have much metal to bang around with 😂

Then we decided to ditch the crate after he’d stayed with a friend and slept in a bed on the floor with their dog, but now he’s home with us he seems to piss about and pester us all night and not actually sleep 🙄🙄🙄

I swear it does all feel a bit easier as they get older and it’s wonderful looking back at how far they’ve come (I thought he’d never poo outside but then it just clicked!!) 💖

our girls not currently sleeping well at night! long post ahead, advice is much appreciated! our girl is an English show cocker spaniel and is 1 year and 2 months!

when she actually goes down for bedtime at night she starts kicking off once we put her to bed (which is any time between 9.30/10) in her crate which she never did! so now she's free roaming but can't actually settle anywhere. kicks off if you gate her in the kitchen. (which she's now free roaming when we go out) before all this she'd wake up at 5 am randomly wee and poo but then can't settle back down (my mum would take her upstairs, and she'd be ok after all the excitement of being there!)

we blamed the light mornings and then the heat last week (in UK) thinking it was too hot to be in her crate. she also doesn't settle back down if we take her out for toilets at silly time. she's left for free roam when we are here so nothing should be exciting any more. she goes out for a last wee has a bed time biscuit.

so not sure what to do. she gets walked, fed, tasty treats, mental stimulation. from 7.30 pm time it's chill time before bed. we are letting her free roam. so she can just take herself off and sleep and be a bit more independent on that which she's currently not really doing. don't think anything disturbed her. we are trying butternut box which we started over the weekend but she was doing this way before we changed food (doing half biscuit and half butternut)

thinking back she did go through a stage of waking up at 5 as a puppy as we thought it was the paper coming through.

sorry for the long post but just need to rant/get of of my chest/see if you guys can help!

our girls not currently sleeping well at night! long post ahead, advice is much appreciated! our girl is an English show cocker spaniel and is 1 year and 2 months!

when she actually goes down for bedtime at night she starts kicking off once we put her to bed (which is any time between 9.30/10) in her crate which she never did! so now she's free roaming but can't actually settle anywhere. kicks off if you gate her in the kitchen. (which she's now free roaming when we go out) before all this she'd wake up at 5 am randomly wee and poo but then can't settle back down (my mum would take her upstairs, and she'd be ok after all the excitement of being there!)

we blamed the light mornings and then the heat last week (in UK) thinking it was too hot to be in her crate. she also doesn't settle back down if we take her out for toilets at silly time. she's left for free roam when we are here so nothing should be exciting any more. she goes out for a last wee has a bed time biscuit.

so not sure what to do. she gets walked, fed, tasty treats, mental stimulation. from 7.30 pm time it's chill time before bed. we are letting her free roam. so she can just take herself off and sleep and be a bit more independent on that which she's currently not really doing. don't think anything disturbed her. we are trying butternut box which we started over the weekend but she was doing this way before we changed food (doing half biscuit and half butternut)

thinking back she did go through a stage of waking up at 5 as a puppy as we thought it was the paper coming through.

sorry for the long post but just need to rant/get of of my chest/see if you guys can help!
How strange! She shouldn’t be needing to go to the toilet at 5am really if she’s going just before bed. Sounds like you’re doing everything right with having the bedtime routine etc. Is she definitely getting enough exercise and a long enough walk? That’s all I can think, tiring her out even more so she can’t fight the sleep!
Or what about a fan in the kitchen with her? Ours is loving hers at the minute. She sleeps in her crate and we have it facing it but on rotate. It’s almost like white noise for her too so nothing seems to wake her up (noises outside etc…) Hopefully it’s just a phase!!

I’m in tears again tonight feeling like I might have to return her. I already have a 4 yr old dog and even though she gave us problems at the beginning it was nothing like this.

Even in our room she is not settling. My partner is now asleep on the sofa next to her crate as that’s the only way she’ll settle.

She has been perfect all day, napping in the crate with and without the door locked. Then when I’ve tried to put her to bed she’s got herself in such a state again. I waited 40 mins while she cried and howled just to see if she’d sleep and now I feel so cruel.

I’ve tried putting our clothes in there, she also has her mums blanket and we even use calming spray on the blankets and rub a bit on her face.

• Heart
I’m in tears again tonight feeling like I might have to return her. I already have a 4 yr old dog and even though she gave us problems at the beginning it was nothing like this.

Even in our room she is not settling. My partner is now asleep on the sofa next to her crate as that’s the only way she’ll settle.

She has been perfect all day, napping in the crate with and without the door locked. Then when I’ve tried to put her to bed she’s got herself in such a state again. I waited 40 mins while she cried and howled just to see if she’d sleep and now I feel so cruel.

I’ve tried putting our clothes in there, she also has her mums blanket and we even use calming spray on the blankets and rub a bit on her face.
Do you leave her alone when she’s locked in the crate sleeping in the day?

When did you bring her home? If its only been a few days it will settle down. I promise. We've slept downstairs with all of our pups initially, just as you describe, crate next to sofa and us sleeping on the sofa. Some of our pups have settled quickly and some have taken a good few weeks.

Youl know yourself but I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say its so common to feel massive regret and like you want to take them back to the breeder. Ive felt it every single time Ive brought a pup home 🙈 it is hard work and extremely stressful.

Could she be coming into season?

Do you leave her alone when she’s locked in the crate sleeping in the day?
I WFH so she goes in the crate behind me
---
When did you bring her home? If its only been a few days it will settle down. I promise. We've slept downstairs with all of our pups initially, just as you describe, crate next to sofa and us sleeping on the sofa. Some of our pups have settled quickly and some have taken a good few weeks.

Youl know yourself but I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say its so common to feel massive regret and like you want to take them back to the breeder. Ive felt it every single time Ive brought a pup home 🙈 it is hard work and extremely stressful.
On Thursday. I’m just at my wits end. No proper sleep for a week, stressed out, my older dog is stressed because I’m stressed and now she won’t eat. I feel like I’ve made a huge mistake.

Luckily I work from home but I haven’t left the house for a week and can’t see a time when I’ll be able to because she screams if I go to another room for 10 seconds.

Crying again now 😢 ffs

---

On Thursday. I’m just at my wits end. No proper sleep for a week, stressed out, my older dog is stressed because I’m stressed and now she won’t eat. I feel like I’ve made a huge mistake.

Luckily I work from home but I haven’t left the house for a week and can’t see a time when I’ll be able to because she screams if I go to another room for 10 seconds.

Crying again now 😢 ffs
What breed is she? (Wondering if any spaniel in her as theyre v emotional) I know it doesnt seem it like it but it is v normal. She sees you as her new mum and you are all she knows now. She spent 8 weeks in her old home with her siblings and mother to reassure her and now has to get used to new humans and a new house. Everything is terrifying to her right now.

I know it must seem counter intuitive right now but allow her to be close to you as much as she likes, it really does help build a secure dog.

If shes getting stressed out then shes reaching her threshold and it means shes more likely to freak out as soon as you leave.

Whereas if she realises she has access to you whenever she likes it should make leaving her easier as its then boring to her.

Dog Training Advice and Support on Facebook is such an amazing group. The resources and experience are really great.

Ive had 2 human kids and in all honesty Ive found having pups much much harder. If there are 2 adults in the house then make sure youre both getting adequate puppy free time. It will make a huge difference. I have resented all of my dogs when Ive brought them home, I find it v overwhelming and my mood is affected massively but it does pass. They become less full on over time.

Noone talks about how difficult it is, how hard the sleep deprivation is.

Re your older dog, they probably will come round, Ive had both scenarios in the past, one who took to the pup instantly and one where it took a good while for older dog to tolerate and enjoy the pups company.

Lots of solo walks and affection for older dog as much as possible. Feed separately.

• Heart
Honestly our first nearly killed us and our relationship. It’s incredibly testing. As @Caffeine Fiend says, get some pup free time in.
For sleeping we took it in turns to sleep by the crate and then basically over the course of a fortnight slept further and further away from pup. Last night before finally breaking free from having to sleep downstairs I slept on the floor by the front door with the door closed to the kitchen. Extreme I know, but the 2 weeks we did this (took in turns so someone always got some good sleep!) we were home free after that and just up to potty (took us until 3/4mo I think to stop the early morning potty time, I know it differs for breeds).
Although ours are old now but we still duck it up every so often and end up with a 4am wake up call for toileting! Hot weather isn’t helpful as we swear they sometimes hold it in as they don’t wanna go out in the heat. Even if we walk them before bed when it’s cooler we can still get caught out!

Reactions: 2
---

Crying again now 😢 ffs
Maybe leave her in another room on her own in the day? If you can and build up the time alone so she knows you are coming back?

What breed is she? (Wondering if any spaniel in her as theyre v emotional) I know it doesnt seem it like it but it is v normal. She sees you as her new mum and you are all she knows now. She spent 8 weeks in her old home with her siblings and mother to reassure her and now has to get used to new humans and a new house. Everything is terrifying to her right now.

I know it must seem counter intuitive right now but allow her to be close to you as much as she likes, it really does help build a secure dog.

If shes getting stressed out then shes reaching her threshold and it means shes more likely to freak out as soon as you leave.

Whereas if she realises she has access to you whenever she likes it should make leaving her easier as its then boring to her.

Dog Training Advice and Support on Facebook is such an amazing group. The resources and experience are really great.

Ive had 2 human kids and in all honesty Ive found having pups much much harder. If there are 2 adults in the house then make sure youre both getting adequate puppy free time. It will make a huge difference. I have resented all of my dogs when Ive brought them home, I find it v overwhelming and my mood is affected massively but it does pass. They become less full on over time.

Noone talks about how difficult it is, how hard the sleep deprivation is.

Re your older dog, they probably will come round, Ive had both scenarios in the past, one who took to the pup instantly and one where it took a good while for older dog to tolerate and enjoy the pups company.

Lots of solo walks and affection for older dog as much as possible. Feed separately.
Thank you so much. Yes she does have spaniel in her as she’s a cockapoo, same as my older one. I will take all of your points on board and join the fb group also.

I know she’s doing well as 2 days ago she wouldn’t even go in the crate and now she happily sleeps there in the day as long as someone is nearby - she learned that really quick so I do have some optimism but it’s just hard when the whole house is moody and sleep deprived!

My partner is going to stay on the sofa for a few nights. Any idea how to then break away from this and eventually get her into the kitchen?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.