Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm so happy things are going better. Honestly dogs are like children, consistency and a good routine is key when they are younger

Please tell me it gets easier!

We have a 9 week old cockapoo and I really underestimated what getting a puppy would be like. There has been tears, lots of tears. I have a toddler and the puppy is harder than the toddler. I question every day if I’ve done the right thing - people say it gets easier and dogs are much better but I’m struggling to use that motivation right now when all I have is a yappy puppy who bites me constantly.

Any advice tattlers?
It does get easier don’t worry! There is also such a thing as the “puppy blues” in the week after getting a puppy where it all feels overwhelming! But it gets better. My dog is now 13 months old and a right pain, stubborn, doesn’t listen but I couldn’t be without him!

My puppy advice if you haven’t already is crate train. At least for the first couple of months. Dogs love a safe den to be able to nap. It’s difficult for the first couple of nights but persevere and you will see a difference, see it as your puppy’s cot.
I learnt some advice that was a game changer for me which is puppy’s sleep for about 20 hours of the day.
If a puppy if biting and nipping they are just like an over tired toddler, they won’t take themselves for a nap so you have to put them down for a nap!
It’s tempting to just play with a puppy all day but it’s not what the puppy needs and will lead to bad behaviour.
Set a routine Wake up, toliet, eat, play, nap. If they have been awake for an hour put them in their crate for a nap. They will be out like a light in minutes!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey. So we’ve stuck it out (through many moments and shamelessly telling my husband we need to rehome him) and our pup is now 4 months old. The biting has calmed quite a lot (although he bit my toddler this week for the first time properly 😬) but he is fully toilet trained and we can leave him for 4-5 hours during the day now which makes life SO much easier. I know it will get even easier eventually so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Someone told me that the harder the puppy to train, the better the dog. I really hope this is the case. He is a clever pup but very demanding and clingy.
Well done for sticking it out so well. I have a cocker spaniel and I found it SO HARD when he was a puppy. I can't even imagine what it must be like with a toddler as well. He was an adorable puppy but like yours he was a terrible biter. It will be the cocker in him, they are notorious for it. I didn't have a single pair of trousers without holes in the legs, where he would cling on for dear life, and he was not a cuddly puppy at all, he would just be constantly nipping at your hands and clothes.

At four months your boy will still be at that stage (they go through two teething stages) but I promise you it will get much better soon. It's almost like a switch goes off when their adult teeth have set in. At four, my boy is the best, softest dog ever and so clever.

Just looking for a bit of reassurance. I feel like we've taken about 10 steps backwards with our little 15 week old cocker.

When he came to us he seemed to pick up the toilet training really fast! I was heavy on the praise when he went outside, and tried not to make a fuss when he had accidents indoors. He was really good and would actively go to the back door when he needed to go. In the last week or so he's just having so many accidents indoors, and getting him to go outside is a struggle. For example this morning I stood outside with him for 20 minutes (i have to stand out there otherwise he'll just follow me back in or bark at the door until I let him in). He did nothing. We were back inside for 5 mins, I turned my back to do something and he's weeing on the floor.

Also night times are becoming a struggle. We have a stairgate on the dining room so he has run of the dining room and kitchen overnight. He has a crate with bed in, with the door open, and a separate bed which he uses during the day. He has a basket of toys. His water is always full. He was going okay sleeping about 4-5 hours, I'd go down and let him out when he wimpered, sit with him to settle him then he'd wake up at about 5amish. Recently he's been sleeping for about an hour then he'll cry, wimper and bark at the gate. I keep going down, settling him, come back up and as soon as I'm at the top of the stairs it starts again. 3 nights ago it was 2am, I was really tired and fed up so I put his bed upstairs next to me because I just wanted some sleep. I know I'm probably my own worst enemy for doing so but I work full time and I was just shattered and gave up. Now all he wants to do is be upstairs. We can't even settle him at all until he's upstairs. Last night, for the first time ever he managed to jump and pull himself up into my bed. I put him straight back in his own bed but he kept jumping up. Eventually he actually growled at me when I tried to move him from my bed. He's never growled at me before. I felt awful. He was really tired, he had hardly napped last night at all and he'd been for a walk and doing zoomies for about an hour. I wonder if the growl was because he was overtired and just wanted to be left? But I don't want him in my bed.

He's also quite nippy at the moment. He keeps nipping at us when playing. I've taken to putting him behind the stairgate for 5 minutes everytime he takes it too far and nips one of us so he knows that as soon as he bites that's the end of playtime. Am I doing the right thing?

I just don't know what to do, or where I'm going wrong. Should I be worried that he growled at me? I don't understand how we made so much progress and now it feels like it's gone backwards. What am I doing wrong?

Just looking for a bit of reassurance. I feel like we've taken about 10 steps backwards with our little 15 week old cocker.

When he came to us he seemed to pick up the toilet training really fast! I was heavy on the praise when he went outside, and tried not to make a fuss when he had accidents indoors. He was really good and would actively go to the back door when he needed to go. In the last week or so he's just having so many accidents indoors, and getting him to go outside is a struggle. For example this morning I stood outside with him for 20 minutes (i have to stand out there otherwise he'll just follow me back in or bark at the door until I let him in). He did nothing. We were back inside for 5 mins, I turned my back to do something and he's weeing on the floor.

Also night times are becoming a struggle. We have a stairgate on the dining room so he has run of the dining room and kitchen overnight. He has a crate with bed in, with the door open, and a separate bed which he uses during the day. He has a basket of toys. His water is always full. He was going okay sleeping about 4-5 hours, I'd go down and let him out when he wimpered, sit with him to settle him then he'd wake up at about 5amish. Recently he's been sleeping for about an hour then he'll cry, wimper and bark at the gate. I keep going down, settling him, come back up and as soon as I'm at the top of the stairs it starts again. 3 nights ago it was 2am, I was really tired and fed up so I put his bed upstairs next to me because I just wanted some sleep. I know I'm probably my own worst enemy for doing so but I work full time and I was just shattered and gave up. Now all he wants to do is be upstairs. We can't even settle him at all until he's upstairs. Last night, for the first time ever he managed to jump and pull himself up into my bed. I put him straight back in his own bed but he kept jumping up. Eventually he actually growled at me when I tried to move him from my bed. He's never growled at me before. I felt awful. He was really tired, he had hardly napped last night at all and he'd been for a walk and doing zoomies for about an hour. I wonder if the growl was because he was overtired and just wanted to be left? But I don't want him in my bed.

He's also quite nippy at the moment. He keeps nipping at us when playing. I've taken to putting him behind the stairgate for 5 minutes everytime he takes it too far and nips one of us so he knows that as soon as he bites that's the end of playtime. Am I doing the right thing?

I just don't know what to do, or where I'm going wrong. Should I be worried that he growled at me? I don't understand how we made so much progress and now it feels like it's gone backwards. What am I doing wrong?
Firstly you sound like you're doing a great job, puppies are worse than babies!

Re the toilet training this happened to us and I thought she was never going to get it, she would pee outside but still have accidents, I find taking out on the lead, she got the message it's not time for pissing about (excuse the pun) and time for the toilet. We also use a que word of go wee so she knows it's time to go to the toilet, obviously we use this whether a poop or a pee.

Re nighttime, I would suggest putting him in his cage and shutting the door, dogs can get stressed if they feel they have a large area to patrol. You might also have to ignore the crying because if you get up every time he whines he will associate it with you coming to fuss him. If you think he needs the toilet during the night, take him but make no noise, don't speak to him or make eye contact just take him out and straight back to bed, then leave. Seems harsh but he needs to learn to settle himself.

With the nipping, we didn't have an issue with this as such, occasionally she would get overexcited and we would stop play so I would say you're spot on with this and he'll realise biting is not on, you can also do a loud yelp of ouch, that will stop him in his tracks as this is what his siblings/mum would do.

This will be a distant memory soon I promise

• Heart
@WilmaHun
The puppy stage is horrendous I remember it all too well. I am useless at this as the dog now sleeps inbetween me and the bf on my bed😂.
The puppy stage will pass and it will all become a distant memory.

Your dog needs you to tell her what’s ok and what’s not ok. Praise the good behaviour every time and that will become more common 👍🏻

Eg if she stays on the floor when in your room and you’re in bed you must give praise then she will be more likely to do it. If she jumps on your bed, put her back in her own bed and say good girl if she stays. Repeat as many times as needed.

My new favourite programme is Dogs behaving very badly. Soo informative. I have learnt a lot from him and binge watching the show🤣. Praise the good behaviour, correct the unwanted behaviour

good luck ❤

• Heart
Thanks everyone for your awesome advice (and more importantly support and reassurance). It's still a total rollercoaster, I think I've got somewhere and then boom, she shits all over the place or chases the cat. It is so exhausting and she is needy but I adore her. In other news, myself and the OH are on the brink of breaking up over her (after 9 years together). So everything is still very stressful!

• Sad
Thanks everyone for your awesome advice (and more importantly support and reassurance). It's still a total rollercoaster, I think I've got somewhere and then boom, she shits all over the place or chases the cat. It is so exhausting and she is needy but I adore her. In other news, myself and the OH are on the brink of breaking up over her (after 9 years together). So everything is still very stressful!
I’m sorry to hear that 😔 if it’s just pup related I’m sure it will just be a blip. What is your routine like with your pup walking feeding etc? It’s a cockapoo right?

@WilmaHun just read your post, how's it going? I got a pup 2 weeks ago, it's been bloody hard work especially cos my other dog doesn't like him, I need eyes everywhere!! Pup hated crate, but we've left it open and he has a basket, we shut him in utility room with a night light and radio on, he cries alot, but I know if I give into him now, he'll end up ruling me, ( I've had the same with another dog, and he turned out to be a proper darling!) I'm the same, spend ages outside waiting for him to have a pee, then he'll come in and pee, but he's getting so much better!
The biting I understand, he's so cute but turns into the devil, I just make sure I have something else for him to bite ( he found abit of rope in yard which he's obsessed with!) I've been growled at, but only cos he was tired and I moved him! I think you're doing a good job, puppies are hard work, but set boundaries now, they're so worth it!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We just got our puppy this weekend and luckily he is fine with his crate/bed. We haven’t managed a successful toilet trip outside yet though regardless of how long I spend outdoors, he comes back in and does it then 🤦🏼‍♀️ Any tips other than sit outside 24/7? 😂

We just got our puppy this weekend and luckily he is fine with his crate/bed. We haven’t managed a successful toilet trip outside yet though regardless of how long I spend outdoors, he comes back in and does it then 🤦🏼‍♀️ Any tips other than sit outside 24/7? 😂
Look for cues, sniffing, circling. If you pick them up mid toilet they do actually stop and then go to where you want them to pee/poop and put them down.

I would suggest taking on a lead so they don't get distracted. There is also timings online that say how often they need to go out.

How was the breeder teaching toileting? If puppy pads you can slowly move them outside until you get to where you need them to go.

If you manage a pee or a poo you can introduce a word to associate with going, we tell our dog to 'go wee' irrespective of what she needs, now she's nearly two, she's knows it toilet time not mucking about sniffing the same piece of garden eleventy seven times time 🤣

Definitely the sniffing and circling - that’s a clear sign our pup needs to go.

We left him for 5 hours today and boy it felt like I had my life back - I’ve struggled since we got him but he is a good dog and we are really lucky that we can leave him. He’s only 17 weeks old and no accidents 🙌🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 3
this is literally my life at the moment, I sit with her for 30 mins outside and she sniffs etc and then comes in and pees. It’s up and down though - some days she’s great but then the next day regresses with absolutely everything. Stay strong!

this is literally my life at the moment, I sit with her for 30 mins outside and she sniffs etc and then comes in and pees. It’s up and down though - some days she’s great but then the next day regresses with absolutely everything. Stay strong!
Yes it’s hard Isn’t it when you sit and wait outside for it to happen as soon as you come in 😂 but I know (hope!) it should be short lived. Especially when we have had him two days. He actually went to our back door twice tonight and so we followed him out and he did it outside. Slight breakthrough and hopefully will continue!!

First of all, everything you have said is completely normal. Puppies are exhausting and you do feel that you are often taking one step forwards and two steps back. At 15 weeks old he is still a baby - give him, and yourself, some slack.

I have a cocker too and we had exactly the same issues with the nighttime howling and the nipping. Cockers are very sociable and bond deeply with their humans, which is great but then you can get the separation anxiety, which is a problem. If you don't want him in your room you must NOT go down to settle him. It's so so so hard to do when you are desperate for sleep (I've been there, trust me, I feel for you!) but you cannot give in. Let him howl. It's exhausting, it's distressing, but every single time you give in and go to him, he will have achieved his goal and he will just howl and cry for longer and longer next time, until you give in and go to him etc etc. It's a vicious circle.

If that's too much for you and you don't mind him in your room, but not on your bed, then put him in his crate, with the door closed. Again, he will whine and cry, but ignore him. Don't talk to him, fuss him, nothing, just ignore. It sounds harsh, and it's hard, but it's the only way. He WILL learn. He's so young, they have zero attention span at that age, but they are learning, even when you think they aren't. It just takes a while and you need to be consistent.

The nipping. Typical 'cockerdile'! Mine was a nightmare at that age. You are doing the right thing. When he nips you, stop playing and walk away or get him behind his gate. You will be doing this over and over but keep at it. Consistency and patience are key! He's teething, so make sure he has plenty of puppy chew toys available. I would always have several to hand, and when my boy started to get nippy I'd just shove one in his mouth. You can get ones that go in the freezer, so they're cold and will soothe his gums. Kongs are great. Do you have one? You can stuff them with puppy food and freeze them, so they've got something cold to chew on. It also keeps them occupied for ages - bonus!

Also, don't worry about the growling. Don't take it personally, but don't push it either. If he's growling, back off for a bit or distract him with something. This is normal behaviour. He's just trying to figure out his place in the family and, yes, sounds like he was overtired. Puppies need a LOT of sleep. It sounds like crating, with the door close, would really help you with this.

It will get better soon, I promise you.

I really recommend the Cockers Online forum. There are some really knowledgeable, helpful people on there, and their puppy section was a lifesaver for me. If only to reassure you that what you are going through is completely normal!

• Heart

I love you! This is exactly what we’re going through right now (@ 16 weeks) I actually questioned whether I’d written the post! I have no advice right now but try and stay positive @WilmaHun it’s such a total rollercoaster.

@Magwitch obsessed with ‘cockerdile’ 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
I can just imagine us all at night waiting for pup to pee :ROFLMAO:
Mine didn't whine last night, so that's progress!!

I love you! This is exactly what we’re going through right now (@ 16 weeks) I actually questioned whether I’d written the post! I have no advice right now but try and stay positive @WilmaHun it’s such a total rollercoaster.

@Magwitch obsessed with ‘cockerdile’ 😂
Literally every post on any puppy advice thread/forum is along the same lines, including plenty of mine from a few years ago. 🤣

You all sound like you are doing everything right. Just keep at it!

We’re getting another puppy next year and I’m equal parts super excited and absolutely dreading it 😂

I can just imagine us all at night waiting for pup to pee :ROFLMAO:
Mine didn't whine last night, so that's progress!!
Mine is fine with weeing, it’s bloody waiting for her to poo (apols if TMI). Hope you’re all having a relaxing Sunday with your pups/dogs!

• Heart
Mine is fine with weeing, it’s bloody waiting for her to poo (apols if TMI). Hope you’re all having a relaxing Sunday with your pups/dogs!
My oh has taken over duties with pup today, I'm soo tired! My other dog still isn't impressed, but pup is determined to be friends!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.