Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You're doing a fantastic job. Just doesn't feel like it right now.

I never thought we'd get our dog toilet trained but it does eventually click, feels like one step forward two steps back. Like the others have said look for cues. If you catch him mid toilet, say a firm no and you can pick them up (they will stop) and take him outside.

Our dog has the zoomies as we call it, we used to let her out in the garden to run around like a lunatic. I think cats do this too weird!

I was watching dogs behaving badly last night, and there was a dog on there that would snap and growl if the grown ups tried to pick him up, he got them to use treats to show they were not a threat. Could try enticing with a treat and when he gets the hang of it, say off or similar instead of picking him up
Dogs behaving badly is my favourite programme!!! Soo informative.

The sniffing is annoying especially stopping and starting but it is mentally stimulating and goes towards tiring them out.

Glad he slept well!! I remember the first time my dog slept through I felt like a queen lol

• Heart
Reactions: 4
How's everyone coping!! Can't believe we've had pup for 3 weeks!!
He's really starting to improve with toilet training, the biting was really bad (probably one of the worst pups I've had for that!)but that does seem to be getting better! He's started to venture abit more, loves to find something, abit of rope, piece of pipe and his fave a cable tie!!
Still having issues with my other dog, pup is desperate to be friends, but my other is being a grump, really hope that will sort out, I have to watch them all the time! The weather being good is a bonus, would be a nightmare if raining and we're all cooped up indoors!

Reactions: 1
I got a puppy about 3 weeks ago. Bought him from someone who couldnt take care of him anymore, she had him for about 2 weeks.

he is so zweet and behaves well but outside he likes to bite his lead or like to walk the other way that I want to go. Never knew but he makes me so happy!

• Heart
I got a puppy about 3 weeks ago. Bought him from someone who couldnt take care of him anymore, she had him for about 2 weeks.

he is so zweet and behaves well but outside he likes to bite his lead or like to walk the other way that I want to go. Never knew but he makes me so happy!
Aw that's lovely! They are hard work, but the joy they bring makes it all so worth it!

• Heart
We seem to have had a bit of a breakthrough and he’s stopped biting quite as much now and if he does he can be easily distracted with toys instead. We have also started to see his signs of when he needs to go outside which is a relief 😂
Unbelievably getting up less with the puppy in the night than my 3 year old 😂

Can't believe we've had pup for 4 weeks, it's been hard work as my other dog still isn't keen on him! But out of all the dogs I've had he's been the most bitiest and growly!!

Can't believe we've had pup for 4 weeks, it's been hard work as my other dog still isn't keen on him! But out of all the dogs I've had he's been the most bitiest and growly!!
mine is really bitey and growly too atm! He doesn’t growl in an aggressive way but if you try move him when he’s comfy (ie on the sofa and we want to go to bed so want to move him to his bed in a different room) he’ll growl to let you know he’s not happy to move! His biting is hard work though tbh, it’s not constant, only when he has his mad 30 mins a few times a day, but it’s relentless during those times!

mine is really bitey and growly too atm! He doesn’t growl in an aggressive way but if you try move him when he’s comfy (ie on the sofa and we want to go to bed so want to move him to his bed in a different room) he’ll growl to let you know he’s not happy to move! His biting is hard work though tbh, it’s not constant, only when he has his mad 30 mins a few times a day, but it’s relentless during those times!
Mines really bitey and growls alot too! Those mad mins are hard work, we've taken him out today, thought he'd be tired, nope he's like a fiend!
Will be interesting to see how we all are in 6 months on this thread!! Still having awful issues with my other dog, I really thought he'd accept a pup, really hoping it'll come good.

• Heart
When can/did you leave your pups overnight and not in a crate? Ours is 5 months old now and we can leave him 5 hours during the day in his crate and he doesn’t have any accidents and no accidents on a night either but I’d like to start trying to leave him out of his crate. Just scared in case he destroys the house in the process so wondering when is the best time or how do I know he’s ready to be left?

When can/did you leave your pups overnight and not in a crate? Ours is 5 months old now and we can leave him 5 hours during the day in his crate and he doesn’t have any accidents and no accidents on a night either but I’d like to start trying to leave him out of his crate. Just scared in case he destroys the house in the process so wondering when is the best time or how do I know he’s ready to be left?
We dont use a crate, I know people say it´s better but we just dont like the us of one. He sleeps the whole night mainly without accidents. Maybe we just got lucky.
Maybe slowly stop using it? Im not sure, sorry im not helpful.

Mine was about 6 months and he still wouldn't settle in the kitchen, we tried crate/no crate/run of the downstairs/just the kitchen and nothing worked. he was waking us up loads and it was awful. he now he sleeps inbetween me and the BF and we're all happy as larry :LOL:. The first night we all slept about 10 hrs lol

I feel really bad for writing this, but am struggling with pup and my other dog, we really thought our other dog would be ok as he was brought up with other dogs, but he really doesn't like him, I soo want it to work but it really is hard work.

I feel really bad for writing this, but am struggling with pup and my other dog, we really thought our other dog would be ok as he was brought up with other dogs, but he really doesn't like him, I soo want it to work but it really is hard work.
How long have you had your pup?

It took quite a few weeks for us for them to even be friendly. We're about 3 months in now and they are happy enough around each other and play but my older one still gets v sad if I pet the younger one 😄

If you can still walk your older dog alone, play with your older dog and give them 1 on 1 it will help a lot. Not saying ignore your pup but dont overly fuss them.

How long have you had your pup?

It took quite a few weeks for us for them to even be friendly. We're about 3 months in now and they are happy enough around each other and play but my older one still gets v sad if I pet the younger one 😄

If you can still walk your older dog alone, play with your older dog and give them 1 on 1 it will help a lot. Not saying ignore your pup but dont overly fuss them.
We've only had him for 4 weeks, I'm really trying to keep my other dogs life as normal as possible, and he really isn't jealous over pup, he just doesn't like him!

We've only had him for 4 weeks, I'm really trying to keep my other dogs life as normal as possible, and he really isn't jealous over pup, he just doesn't like him!
Our older dog was a bit like this when we got our pup. I think he thought she was just here for a visit so just wasn’t arsed 😂 now they are great buddies! Our younger pup encourages him to play, at the start he hated it but now he loves it and her lol it’s very cute haha

Our older dog was a bit like this when we got our pup. I think he thought she was just here for a visit so just wasn’t arsed 😂 now they are great buddies! Our younger pup encourages him to play, at the start he hated it but now he loves it and her lol it’s very cute haha
I'm really hoping these will be best buds, we lost our other dog last September and it's been strange just having one dog! But now. I worry if I've done the right thing

I'm really hoping these will be best buds, we lost our other dog last September and it's been strange just having one dog! But now. I worry if I've done the right thing
I’m sure you have, just give it some more time 🥰

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.