Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nah he won't care! My bestie had an Alfie who sadly crossed rainbow bridge, now I have a Ralf (Ralfy!) She loves him
I thought if the name and then realised. Footballers name but not actually naming him after the footballer I just thought it’s a good dog name!

My Scott was called Alfie initially. Even insured and chipped with that name. Became apparent quite quickly it didn't suit him at all and I had a morning of calling everyone to change his name to Murphy 😂

Reactions: 2
I’ve gone for Ruben, more nickname potential 😅
If anyone has pet insurance any companies you’ve had bad experiences with? One of my cats is insured with Petplan and I’ve claimed so can’t change her but my other is with sainsburys so I think I’m going to go with them for the puppy but thought I’d see if there’s any company anyone recommends

Reactions: 1
Our 16 month old springer has woken in the night the last two nights (last night he had a dodgy stomach so we were letting him out but tonight now seems to just be attention)

I feel conflicted about how to handle it because either way can lead to issues - leave him to bark it out a little vs. coming down straight away, minimal attention vs. comforting him, go back upstairs each time vs. just staying down with him and then sitting with him in a low lit room with no noise vs. having a bit of background noise (because otherwise he then barks at the silence!)

He has a good balance of mental stimulation and rest time during the day and has always had a good bedtime routine - no problem with his crate and usually settles down until we get up in the morning.

I realise it’s only night two but I want to make sure I’m doing what’s best going forward. Any advice please?

Been on a bit of a spending spree yesterday and today for puppy. Got too many toys 😅. Spent £85 in pets at home but before discounts it was meant to be £140!
---
Also booked onto 8 puppy training classes starting in feb and 3 puppy party meet ups.

• Heart
Hi everyone my boy has turned one and decided he’s now alpha 🙃 he’s barking lots waking me up early (when he always slept good before) if I ignore the barking he starts nipping its like he’s become a tiny pup again. We recently moved house and there’s not many dogs around as before he had lots to play with so when he comes across a dog (mostly male) he becomes reactive which is now making me anxious as hell! please help from a tired pawrent 😅 can’t afford training until the new year

Hi everyone my boy has turned one and decided he’s now alpha 🙃 he’s barking lots waking me up early (when he always slept good before) if I ignore the barking he starts nipping its like he’s become a tiny pup again. We recently moved house and there’s not many dogs around as before he had lots to play with so when he comes across a dog (mostly male) he becomes reactive which is now making me anxious as hell! please help from a tired pawrent 😅 can’t afford training until the new year
I'm so out of the loop with trying to give advice, but am wondering, you've all had an upheaval moving homes, and he's hit the teenage age, which is difficult! How are you getting on?

Hi all, first time dog owner of a 9 month old cockapoo. Approx once every 10 days we are woken in the early morning by him retching, all that comes up is a little clear, odourless spittle. I have googled this and advice is gas/hunger but he is fed correctly 🙁. Nothing out of the norm diet wise when this happens. Is this something I should flag my next vet check or just part of growing?.

Also whilst I am here are mud daddy's any good? Thanking you.

Hi all, first time dog owner of a 9 month old cockapoo. Approx once every 10 days we are woken in the early morning by him retching, all that comes up is a little clear, odourless spittle. I have googled this and advice is gas/hunger but he is fed correctly 🙁. Nothing out of the norm diet wise when this happens. Is this something I should flag my next vet check or just part of growing?.

Try giving a wee biscuit before bed. Just something small like a lilys kitchen bedtime biscuit or something. Sounds like hunger sick. Cockapoos tend to be bad for it for some reason.

What time do you feed breakfast and dinner?

Yes mud daddys are great!

• Heart
Try giving a wee biscuit before bed. Just something small like a lilys kitchen bedtime biscuit or something. Sounds like hunger sick. Cockapoos tend to be bad for it for some reason.

What time do you feed breakfast and dinner?

Yes mud daddys are great!
He is fed raw. Latest meal being 6.30. I do give him kong treats in the toy around 8.30 as this activity seems to tire him for bed!. I hate to think he's hungry but like I say there's no real pattern. Thanks I will Google the lily's kitchen brand.

He is fed raw. Latest meal being 6.30. I do give him kong treats in the toy around 8.30 as this activity seems to tire him for bed!. I hate to think he's hungry but like I say there's no real pattern. Thanks I will Google the lily's kitchen brand.
We raw feed too and my dogs always seem hungry 🤣 well hungrier than they were on kibble. One of mine needs a great deal more raw than the advised amounts to keep the weight on him. If hes getting treats at 8.30 Id probably just give a wee biscuit of some sort right before bed and see if that stops it completely.

We raw feed too and my dogs always seem hungry 🤣 well hungrier than they were on kibble. One of mine needs a great deal more raw than the advised amounts to keep the weight on him. If hes getting treats at 8.30 Id probably just give a wee biscuit of some sort right before bed and see if that stops it completely.
Yes! Always on the look out for food, even after a meal!.. I just assumed the breed was very food driven. I do give extra tbh.

I have ordered some bed time biscuits so thank you 😊.

What are your best toilet training tips. We picked up our pup (15 weeks) a few days ago. First night she got 2 pees in the garden but since then they’ve all been in the house, and pooing on the stairs 🤦🏽‍♀️

we’ve been leaving the back door open and I’ve actively been putting her out even when it’s open but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

also, does anyone have one of these, are they worth the money? I feel it might be creating a rod for my own back with it though

Attachments

Our cockapoo done this too and I second the bedtime biscuit. Win win for us as it stops him being sick and makes him happier to go to bed. we do Lily’s Kitchen bedtime biscuits or Pooch and Mutt calming treats!
What are your best toilet training tips. We picked up our pup (15 weeks) a few days ago. First night she got 2 pees in the garden but since then they’ve all been in the house, and pooing on the stairs 🤦🏽‍♀️

we’ve been leaving the back door open and I’ve actively been putting her out even when it’s open but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

also, does anyone have one of these, are they worth the money? I feel it might be creating a rod for my own back with it though
Toilet training took us a good while so not sure how best to advise apart from regular trips outside and reward for toileting outside. I would take outside rather than leave the door open so you’re making sure they’re being noticed and rewarded every time they go outside! Also a good cleaner to remove the scent where they’ve went in the house so they aren’t attracted to that same area. It’s hard in this weather, we definitely had some regression when the weather got colder.

Our puppy also had a heartbeat teddy in his crate and loved it, he ended up ripping it to bits but it helped for the first wee while 😂 I didn’t pay that much though, I think I paid under £20 on Amazon. The brand was all for paws.

You need to actively take her out every couple of hours, even during the night.

Despite following all the usual advice about taking them straight outside when waking/after play/food etc, my boy was a lot older when we finally cracked it (to the point where I thought he was just going to poo in the house forever ☠) - the thing that finally did it was taking him out every 90 minutes through the day and staying out till he’d been.

We’ve also taught him a cue “go wee wee” which is brill cause if we need to go out or we’re going inside somewhere like a shop and he’s not necessarily needing the toilet, he’ll go on cue and then I know he’s ok for a few hours. But that took the best part of the first year 🤣😭

My girls do the same it’s like if we haven’t eaten and feel sick as others have said a biscuit at bedtime is easiest way to combat it.
---

Did breeder do any toilet training as if so ask what methods they used, I breed border terriers and my 4 pups left for their new families pretty much toilet trained at 8 weeks. Was a huge amount of work on my part but breeder should have started something at least. Keep taking pup out repeating your ‘word’ every hour and again 10 mins after meals.

Best toilet training tips

- lift any pads if using, do not have any down, all they do is teach your dog to toilet indoors
- outside every 30-40 minutes with you, stay with them until they go, when they do go, use a cue word (wee wees, toilet, be quick) whatever you want to use. Stay with them as long as it takes
- if you do need to go back indoors, lift and under your arm, go back out when able
- keep the outdoor doors closed. They need the barrier to determine the difference between in and out.
- have pup near you at night, you will hear if they need out and yep that means middle of the night trips to the garden.

I did the above with all of my pups and they were reliably toilet trained v quickly, certainly within 4 weeks of coming home we had no accidents indoors and still dont. It is intensive but at this point any toileting in doors is human error not dog error.

Good Luck :D

Edit - I probably wont get another puppy ever but I will never get a winter pup again 😂 feel like I froze limbs off standing outside.

Never used them heartbeat things myself but was recently looking to see whether to get my puppy one.
From the reviews I’ve read the battery doesn’t last long and people said the pups like them but also that if it was a different toy the puppy had instead then it made no difference. So I haven’t ordered one

We had several of the heart beat lambs when my dog was a puppy. She loved them but as a toy destroyer she went through several.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.