Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Regardless of him settling himself you should be setting an alarm and waking up during the night.
You need to be setting an alarm before he normally wakes during the night and taking him out, don’t wait until he wakes and instantly has to go.
Thanks! How do I decide what time? Is once enough? Night before last he weed once but last night a wee and a poo. I'm not sure what times he does them!

Puppies can hold their bladders roughly an hour per month of age, maybe a bit longer during the night.
When I got mine at 8 weeks she had last wee at 11. Alarm set for 2am and then again at 4.30am. My husband gets up at 5.30 for work so would let her out again then. She went out on a lead, not much talking apart from wee wee command, praise, then back to bed.
Sometimes she woke up before the alarm and cried to go out and I would immediately let her out. Problem with this is you are inadvertently training the puppy that crying = attention so it’s best to get in there before they cry.

Reactions: 1
Any advice please. We fostered 2 4 week old puppies for Christmas. We fell in love with both of them and have decided to keep 1. Our hearts are broken though, deciding which one to keep and which one to send back to the shelter next week.
We pick one and then change our minds 5 minutes later. We have had sleepless nights and plenty of tears because of having to pick 1, or more for the 1 going back 😭.
Any tips 🙏

Last edited:
  • Heart
Any recommendations for pet insurance?

We got 4 weeks free when we picked up our pup, which is coming to an end.

We have car insurance with Admiral so we might be able to get a better deal with them, but all recommendations are welcome.

Get the best you can afford is my advice and also ask your vet who will pay them direct.

I like petplan but theyre not cheap. Look at all of life cover and as high an annual limit as it allows. Something like a bad broken leg can cost in excess of £6k.

The supermarkets are generally not bad Tesco / Sainsburys.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

We have car insurance with Admiral so we might be able to get a better deal with them, but all recommendations are welcome.
I went with admiral for my pup, 10k cover for £19 a month. Maybe phoned your vets and see what companies they do direct claims with, unless you’re happy to do indirect claims.
My cats are with Sainsbury’s and Petplan. Petplan are always the one recommended and the only one I’ve claimed on - they were great.
If you can overlap the policies before the free one ends as you’ll have to wait 2 weeks for Illness to be covered (probably) on a new policy.

Definitely go through a price comparison site. I checked the difference. Admiral via compare market was £19 a month. Through admiral site it was £25 a month

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Our vet recommended pet plan insurance for us as they deal direct with vet.
we also signed up to our vets plan to cover vaccines, worming, check ups etc

I went with ManyPets for the first year and although they were very generous with what they covered (including dental surgery which can be a grey area) and you only pay the excess once in a year which I liked, they took FOREVER to pay my claims and the renewal quote was £50 a month because I’d claimed previously (even though they were one offs related to him being a puppy rather than an ongoing health issue).

We went with Agria - they weren't the cheapest but a friend recommended them after they had to claim for a really bad broken leg on their dog and they were great. I'd definitely check the small print though when comparing different offerings, amazing what some exclude and include especially in terms of recurring issues.

I’m with PetPlan - they’re pricier but most vets deal direct with them, they pay out without quibbling as much, they’ll often cover dental work and my premiums haven’t gone up massively considering the amount of claims I’ve put in!

Agria here too.
Has your pupper had any treatment at the vets, or have the vets noted any problems? You don't want to start a new policy with preexisting conditions.
---

I’m with direct line my renewal was nearly double despite me never claiming so I got new online quote they came up cheapest at 56p more than I paid last year so I cancelled my renewal and took out new policy with them again! Pet plan have paid out amazingly for my mums dog but at 14 his whole body is pretty much exempt and we wouldn’t put him through any big surgeries etc so he’s not insured. I wouldn’t have a dog not insured unless in that situation in this day and age.

Manypets im with, the 24/7 unlimited video calls with a vet is a lifesaver at times

I'm with PDSA. It's £19 a month for lifetime cover up to £2k a year.
My pup is only 5 months old. He's a rottweiler/doberman cross breed.

I looked when I got my pup how much it would be to insure him as a two year old and it was cheaper than at 10 weeks old. So as long as he doesn’t have any health issues or anything potential on his history I’ll likely change it each year

We had artificial grass to train ours, just a square because this time of year following a puppy round on the garden churns it into a mudbath quickly! She picked it up really well but even with hosing it down we found it was grim pretty quickly. Also unexpected consequence when we took her to the garden centre and they had indoor astro turf which she decided to tit on 🙈 so bear in mind they can just think all astro turf is a free for all toilet wise when you train them to use it!

Toilet training in general the alarm method is what we did, took it in turns getting up at 2am for a few weeks and taking her out for a wee until she was old enough to hold it til morning.

Insurance wise, we were with Tesco and had to claim on an emergency vet visit, they paid out quickly. Then went with Manypets who were ok but they auto renewed me last month at nearly double cost despite no claims, and I had to wait 40 minutes on hold to arrange a refund after cancelling as they didn't respond to emails. Trustpilot says this is common so be aware. Now with John Lewis, £20 a month for high cover level (we always pick high as we have a labrador and hip issues are terribly expensive if they happen). We also do the Vetsure plan through our vet £16 a month covers boosters, worming and flea treatment plus a free vet check up annually.

Last edited:
My vet practice wont deal with Many Pets direct anymore as they were taking months and months to pay out. Ive heard theyve gone really downhill.

Ive had a good experience with Tesco in the past. They dont pay direct but they pay v quickly.

Little boy has gone in for his exploratory castration today 😥. I hated leaving him, pretty sure he thought he'd done something wrong when he wasn't given breakfast too, he looked so sad. 🥺

We're with more than. They don't cover the op (buried deep in page 10), not that I knew I would need it when we took it out.

A little worried about after care as he loves walking on his hind legs (not that we encourage it). Worried about the stitches pulling.

My vet practice wont deal with Many Pets direct anymore as they were taking months and months to pay out. Ive heard theyve gone really downhill.

Ive had a good experience with Tesco in the past. They dont pay direct but they pay v quickly.
I’ve also read many pets allow owners the edit claims so they can change it from being paid directly to the vet to be paid to themselves instead. Seen some vets say they’ve had this happen and therefore the bill at the vets hasn’t been paid and the owners got the insurance money for themselves!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.