Puppies #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll probably post this on the dog thread as well as I guess people on there might've been more likely to already have done it. Has anyone done the bronze Kennel club good citizen training? My puppy classes finish this week so trying to decide whether it's worth to do the bronze award.
I've signed up for recall classes because at the time there wasn't any bronze awards I could make it to due to work, but now they've released more dates which will perfectly line up with when I'd finish recall class.

I'll probably post this on the dog thread as well as I guess people on there might've been more likely to already have done it. Has anyone done the bronze Kennel club good citizen training? My puppy classes finish this week so trying to decide whether it's worth to do the bronze award.
I've signed up for recall classes because at the time there wasn't any bronze awards I could make it to due to work, but now they've released more dates which will perfectly line up with when I'd finish recall class.
I haven’t, but if it helps I wish I had 😂

I’d really like to do some volunteering with my boy, he absolutely loves people so think he’d be a great therapy dog (old peoples home type thing) but you need to have bronze good citizen for the charity I looked at. I couldn’t find anywhere suitable locally to do it when I last looked and now I’ve got a lot going on personally so I can’t commit, but may look at it in future.

Reactions: 1
Hello you lovely lot,
I am going to Wales at the end of the month and we want to take our 10 month old dachshund - any recommendations for car seats / straps?
He currently has a seat similar to the one below, but he always tries to lean out and likes to be in the middle to see us, and as we are driving from Sussex we want to make sure he is comfortable!
Also if anyone has any recommendations of harnesses/ leads, and also a baby carrier for dogs too would be great as we're walking snowdon and want to make sure he's comfortable!
Thank you in advance <3<3

Last edited:
Hello you lovely lot,
I am going to Wales at the end of the month and we want to take our 10 month old dachshund - any recommendations for car seats / straps?
He currently has a seat similar to the one below, but he always tries to lean out and likes to be in the middle to see us, and as we are driving from Sussex we want to make sure he is comfortable!
Also if anyone has any recommendations of harnesses/ leads, and also a baby carrier for dogs too would be great as we're walking snowdon and want to make sure he's comfortable!
Thank you in advance <3<3

Not a seat thing but I use a cheeko dome for my pup in the car. Also good for holidays if you crate you puppy at night/at all as it's lighter than a normal crate so easier to move around, folds flat as well. Either goes in the boot or the back seat with space for someone else to sit in the back.

• Heart
Hey 👋🏼

My 7month old girl has just started her first season. Always had male dogs, so this is all a bit new to me.

Just looking for recommendations really on things to protect my furniture, the best cleaning products for her blankets/the carpet etc.

Anything else I should think about getting?

TIA x

• Heart
Hey 👋🏼

My 7month old girl has just started her first season. Always had male dogs, so this is all a bit new to me.

Just looking for recommendations really on things to protect my furniture, the best cleaning products for her blankets/the carpet etc.

Anything else I should think about getting?

TIA x
Aww sending your pup all the love. We just kept a damp cloth handy and covered the sofa, her dog bed and our bed in blankets and washed them every day or so and it was fine, but she was so good at keeping herself clean and didn't seem to bleed all that much.

She was really off her food for about 10 days though so maybe stock up on nice things that she might be tempted with if she's not into her usual dog food. I got worried and spoke to the vets and they said its super normal for their appetite to drop. I ended up cooking plain chicken with gravy and rice and scrambled egg for her as she just couldn't be bothered to eat anything. Also found that she was really cuddly and just wanted to snuggle up next to you and have her belly rubbed a lot so make time for that 😊

Also try walking her when its quiet as she'll be attracting all the boys! Think its the couple of weeks post-season when they're most fertile so be extra careful when she's off the lead (or keep her on the lead).

• Heart
I bought some cheap blankets from B&M yesterday. We used re-useable puppy pads with her so have put one in the middle of the folded blanket to try and stop it from seeping through. I've ordered some doggy pants for her, as she likes to sleep under the covers for some of the night, and then on the top for the rest.

We are friendly with the breeder who has mum, and she said to let her eat anything she wants 😂, so bought a lot of eggs with my shopping!
I have noticed she's been a lot more cuddlier and looking for reassurance.

Definately going to keep her on her lead during this time. We went out with her sister last night and she snapped at her when she started to sniff - apparently that's a good sign? She managed to get a run around with her for a little while, as it was late and secluded.

• Heart
I bought some cheap blankets from B&M yesterday. We used re-useable puppy pads with her so have put one in the middle of the folded blanket to try and stop it from seeping through. I've ordered some doggy pants for her, as she likes to sleep under the covers for some of the night, and then on the top for the rest.

We are friendly with the breeder who has mum, and she said to let her eat anything she wants 😂, so bought a lot of eggs with my shopping!
I have noticed she's been a lot more cuddlier and looking for reassurance.

Definately going to keep her on her lead during this time. We went out with her sister last night and she snapped at her when she started to sniff - apparently that's a good sign? She managed to get a run around with her for a little while, as it was late and secluded.
Definitely keep her on lead Id also only take her out very early / late on at night until the season is fully over. There is always the risk an intact male could get to her, even with you there to prevent.

Even the best trained male dog will throw caution to the wind if he can sniff a female in heat.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I used doggy nappies for a bit but I’m the end just let her do her business, as a previous poster said - lots of towels/blankets and damp cloths. Also, absolutely keep her on the lead and walk her at quieter times. Mine is a very confident dog (loves all humans, dogs, kids etc) but I think she found the extra attention from other male dogs really intimidating.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi! Hope everyone is getting on OK with their puppies. It is an adventure for sure!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of their puppies jumping up and biting whilst off lead? G is almost 6 months old, and has been allowed off lead for about the last 6 weeks. He did a bit of jumping up and biting on the occasional walk but I would just stand still and ignore and it would stop. But the last couple of weeks the frequency and intensity has increased to the point that the last 3 days, it has started the second the lead is off and so I have just turned round and come home. He is too big and painful to just ignore now as well. Any advice? I am covered in scratches and bruises 😭

Hi! Hope everyone is getting on OK with their puppies. It is an adventure for sure!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of their puppies jumping up and biting whilst off lead? G is almost 6 months old, and has been allowed off lead for about the last 6 weeks. He did a bit of jumping up and biting on the occasional walk but I would just stand still and ignore and it would stop. But the last couple of weeks the frequency and intensity has increased to the point that the last 3 days, it has started the second the lead is off and so I have just turned round and come home. He is too big and painful to just ignore now as well. Any advice? I am covered in scratches and bruises 😭
We got told at training to put treats on the floor to stop them jumping at us as they learn the treats come from the floor rather than anywhere else. Or what about throwing a ball or a toy away from you when you let him off so he gets distracted?

My 8 month old rottie does this, although the frequency has decreased recently. I had to start muzzling him on walks because I was black and blue from him
I've got him booked in with a private trainer starting soon, so hopefully I can get some tips to help combat it

We got told at training to put treats on the floor to stop them jumping at us as they learn the treats come from the floor rather than anywhere else. Or what about throwing a ball or a toy away from you when you let him off so he gets distracted?
We tried the toy but he soon gets bored and attacks. I tried sprinkling treats today and again, as soon as they're gone he goes for me 😔 I don't think it's aggressive... He's a lab/golden retriever! But it's relentless and so painful. And embarrassing! I look like I'm out with a crazy dog!
---
My 8 month old rottie does this, although the frequency has decreased recently. I had to start muzzling him on walks because I was black and blue from him
I've got him booked in with a private trainer starting soon, so hopefully I can get some tips to help combat it
Any tips you get pass them on! I'm black and blue too. The puppy teeth were painful but now he has adult teeth I'm worried he's going to break a bone!

Our almost 6 month, 20kg adopted puppy still barks the house down at 6am every morning no matter what time he's put to bed at the night before. Now in fairness he goes to the toilet when let out but he wont go back to sleep, even after a walk, so we're up from that hour every morning. Our other dog only woke up when we got up. Will he eventually have a lie on? Any tips ?

Our almost 6 month, 20kg adopted puppy still barks the house down at 6am every morning no matter what time he's put to bed at the night before. Now in fairness he goes to the toilet when let out but he wont go back to sleep, even after a walk, so we're up from that hour every morning. Our other dog only woke up when we got up. Will he eventually have a lie on? Any tips ?
Is he sleeping away from you? If so Id try seeing if he will settle near you. Both of my dogs would wake earlier if crated or downstairs away from us.

However one of mine is a destroyer. Chews everything and wont settle of an evening so needs to sleep downstairs in a crate 🫠🫠 yep awake at 6am most of the time. Just wants out. I can often let him out and put both dogs into the kitchen if I want to go back to bed.

He's crated downstairs. We haven't let him upstairs at all. He's my daughters dog, its not so bad during the week as she's walks him before work but no lie ons at the weekend. She's wreaked. I was thinking last night she'll have to start bringing him up to her room for some peace.

He's crated downstairs. We haven't let him upstairs at all. He's my daughters dog, its not so bad during the week as she's walks him before work but no lie ons at the weekend. She's wreaked. I was thinking last night she'll have to start bringing him up to her room for some peace.
Id try it to see if he will settle. There will be lots of conflicting advice on this but why not try if shes comfortable to do so if gives you all a rest.

However if hes up at 6am week days you may need to accept it over 7 days as they dont know its the weekend. Hes only young though 😊

Yeah I'm hoping he will grow out of it. I just don't remember it with our other 2 dogs. Thanks for your advice.

Could you get a playpen to attach to the crate? Keep him locked in but when he wakes up let him out to toilet and put breakfast/licki Matt etc something to keep him distracted into the playpen and just lock him back into hat rather than the crate?

Could you get a playpen to attach to the crate? Keep him locked in but when he wakes up let him out to toilet and put breakfast/licki Matt etc something to keep him distracted into the playpen and just lock him back into hat rather than the crate?
Yeah, good idea I might try that, thanks. He does get a kong with frozen yogurt in it, but demolishes that in a few mins. He he lies all around the house in the evening after his walk til I put him to bed about 11.30pm. Not a peep out of him then. Its just the mornings 🙄