Puppies #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What have you guys found is best to teach you puppy?
So far I’ve taught:
- sit - which I’d say he does 99% of the time when asked
- down (lie) - not perfect on this but does know it I’d say
- touch - id say he is good at this but sometimes jumps with his feet rather than just doing it with his make so working on that

Not sure what to do next. Been trying focus as I’ve been reading the notes from the puppy classes we are booked to start soon. I’ve in a group chat on WhatsApp so can see the current sessions documents so been following them a bit. But I don’t want to do too much of them just incase I’m doing it incorrectly so I’d rather wait and see to make sure I’m correct.
Touch is from them and that’s going well so I might leave the rest like focus until the class.
But need something new as I can’t just keep doing sit/down/touch.
I’d like to do leave it/drop but that’s in puppy class. Also going to do a 1-to-1 session with a trainer as he has been being a bit naughty when I’m doing certain things so I want to get on top of that and train him out of it - just not sure how is best to do this so would rather get advice asap.

Reactions: 1
What have you guys found is best to teach you puppy?
So far I’ve taught:
- sit - which I’d say he does 99% of the time when asked
- down (lie) - not perfect on this but does know it I’d say
- touch - id say he is good at this but sometimes jumps with his feet rather than just doing it with his make so working on that

Not sure what to do next. Been trying focus as I’ve been reading the notes from the puppy classes we are booked to start soon. I’ve in a group chat on WhatsApp so can see the current sessions documents so been following them a bit. But I don’t want to do too much of them just incase I’m doing it incorrectly so I’d rather wait and see to make sure I’m correct.
Touch is from them and that’s going well so I might leave the rest like focus until the class.
But need something new as I can’t just keep doing sit/down/touch.
I’d like to do leave it/drop but that’s in puppy class. Also going to do a 1-to-1 session with a trainer as he has been being a bit naughty when I’m doing certain things so I want to get on top of that and train him out of it - just not sure how is best to do this so would rather get advice asap.
We found "leave it" really useful. I know you say it will be taught in class but there's no harm in getting yourself a head start!

My dog loves picking things up on walks, I don't mind him picking a stick up and carrying it, but it bothers me when he quickly nabs a bit of food off the pavement etc because of course I don't want him eating that so "leave it" is so handy on walks. It's also useful round the house because he's an absolute sock thief so leave it is handy when he spots me getting a pair out my drawer :ROFLMAO:

I also find "wait" really useful. Especially on walks when coming to a junction etc, as soon as I say "wait" he will stop and stand still until I give him the "ok, go on" command to carry on walking. We also make him "wait" at the back door as I don't always want him just running out as soon as the door is opened, so we'll often make him sit and wait at the door until we have gone through it first

We found "leave it" really useful. I know you say it will be taught in class but there's no harm in getting yourself a head start!

My dog loves picking things up on walks, I don't mind him picking a stick up and carrying it, but it bothers me when he quickly nabs a bit of food off the pavement etc because of course I don't want him eating that so "leave it" is so handy on walks. It's also useful round the house because he's an absolute sock thief so leave it is handy when he spots me getting a pair out my drawer :ROFLMAO:

I also find "wait" really useful. Especially on walks when coming to a junction etc, as soon as I say "wait" he will stop and stand still until I give him the "ok, go on" command to carry on walking. We also make him "wait" at the back door as I don't always want him just running out as soon as the door is opened, so we'll often make him sit and wait at the door until we have gone through it first
Thanks I’ll probably start leave it then. My puppy loves my slippers so will be helpful for that. I think he is a bit strange he doesn’t like any treats I’ve tried with him, my dad tried a human biscuit (will not be doing this normally) and he refused that as well. I’ve been training him with his meals which he rarely eats out of a bowl as whenever I put the bowl down he isn’t bothered but if I pick it up and train him with the same food he loves it 😅

• Heart
I would recommend leave it and wait too. my dog eats absolutely anything he can get so leave it is so handy, also drop it but that’s been a bit harder. I find wait useful too just so he’s a bit more disciplined, we do wait before he eats and wait before he gets outside because he bounces at the door like a maniac 🤣 if you haven’t already I would try liver paste for training!

I would recommend leave it and wait too. my dog eats absolutely anything he can get so leave it is so handy, also drop it but that’s been a bit harder. I find wait useful too just so he’s a bit more disciplined, we do wait before he eats and wait before he gets outside because he bounces at the door like a maniac 🤣 if you haven’t already I would try liver paste for training!
Good idea I do have liver paste I got for my cats medication but never used so I’ll try it on him

Can’t wait till my puppy can do wait, leave it and drop 🤣
Right now it’s a whirlwind! He’s crazy and there has been a few moments of have we done the right thing but I also can’t imagine him not being here.
He’s 14 weeks and started puppy classes and we have noticed such a difference in him

Reactions: 2
Has anyone got any good suggestions for puppy chew toys? I've bought pretty much every one on Amazon but none seem to do it for him, he'd much rather chew the radiator/door/crate... anything but his toys 🙄😆

Has anyone got any good suggestions for puppy chew toys? I've bought pretty much every one on Amazon but none seem to do it for him, he'd much rather chew the radiator/door/crate... anything but his toys 🙄😆
my puppy was a big biter and the best toys I got for it were £2 from home store and more. months later it’s one of the only ones he had that’s not totally ruined. he also liked rope toys with the rubber ball at the end, and toothbrush chews.
IMG_2303.jpeg

Mine liked these “flavoured” ones:

Check the sizes for your pup but the nylabone and benebone you can get on Amazon so I think they’d have more choices size wise.

my puppy was a big biter and the best toys I got for it were £2 from home store and more. months later it’s one of the only ones he had that’s not totally ruined. he also liked rope toys with the rubber ball at the end, and toothbrush chews.View attachment 2710497
Great, Thanks, I've not actually tried any of those. 😊
I do have some nylabones but he doesn't touch them. I don't think they're flavored though so will try the bacon ones. Surely he can't resist those?!

Reactions: 2
IMG_5678.jpeg

This is my pups fav chew toy. Can also put ice in it so it’s cold on their teeth but he prefers when it’s not frozen I think

Just nipped out and got a rope with ball on the end. He is just chewing the rope 🙈 At least he is chewing his toy though I suppose!

I keep adding another puppy to my pets at home account when I need to go so I get a new voucher for food and a discount voucher for anything else 😅. Currently have 3 puppies on there, my actual puppy I’ve had nearly 3 weeks

Why do I keep looking at puppies for my puppy 🤣🫣
Do not do it 🤣 if you still want another by the time pup is 18m to 2y then go for it.

I have 2 (age gap) and its double the dirt, double the work.

Id never get 2 again.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Do not do it 🤣 if you still want another by the time pup is 18m to 2y then go for it.

I have 2 (age gap) and its double the dirt, double the work.

Id never get 2 again.
BIB - this is exactly what put me off getting a 2nd dog! I was absolutely desperate for another but then I looked after a family members dog for the weekend and I could not believe how much dirt a 2nd dog brings in! My hoover and mop have never been so overworked :ROFLMAO:

My husband would go and get one tomorrow if I let on that I am serious so I’m trying to not even mention to him.

BIB - this is exactly what put me off getting a 2nd dog! I was absolutely desperate for another but then I looked after a family members dog for the weekend and I could not believe how much dirt a 2nd dog brings in! My hoover and mop have never been so overworked :ROFLMAO:
We were contemplating a second and then looked after a family members dog for a couple of weeks whilst they were away, about 2 days in we were like NOPE 🤣🤣 the 2 dogs together drove me crackers winding each other up, then there was double the poo to pick up 🤪

• Haha
So I have a question for any Dachshund owners!
We have a 7 month old, and he chews/ eats every toy we give him - any toy suggestions we can leave him alone with? We know he's teething, so give him frozen carrots, kongs, mini frozen boness (toy ones!) but if its anything soft he just eats it!
Also barking - he is very protective of my partner and I, and when we are out all he wants to do it bark at anyone / any dog that walks past or even is across the street!
We are sadly having to get a muzzle for when we go up the forest now too, as we unfortunately had to spend a few hundred on the emergency vet at the weekend after he ate something yet again on his walk so the vet and so many others have advised this :(