Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Very traditional

VIP Member
I had awful psoriasis as a child, from about age 6 my hands and feet were absolutely covered in it, it was painful to walk or use my hands and it massively affected my confidence. I had steroid treatment for year, like some of you I was bandaged up every night and I had the UV treatment twice a week for a couple of years and was forever in Oilatum baths. I was actually hospitalised for a month when I was 9 and had intensive treatment every day which was horrible but it definitely helped. When I was about 12 i gave up eating meat and it all just cleared up, I have no idea if this was a coincidence or related but I eat meat now and I'm mostly psoriasis free still. I only very occasionally get a bit on one finger now than both hands and feet being covered in it which is a huge relief. Sending lots of love to all of you who suffer with it now, it's a really horrible condition that really does affect your life, I hope you all find thing that help.

Reactions: 7
I've got Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis. Mr D has Psoriasis (he was diagnosed as a child, I only got diagnosed because he recognised the patches of skin when I had the first all over flare and he pretty much shoved me through the door into an emergency GP appointment).

MTX was crap. I'd already gone through all the other meds with no success. I just felt sick even with injections, still in pain, still leaving clouds of dust everywhere I went, a few nasty infections - stuck with it for two years going up to the maximum dose and feeling like crap all the time. Went on Humira, it was better but not good enough and I've been on Cosentyx injections for nine months now. I've had a couple of flares on my scalp and legs in the first few months (assorted steroid ointments, liquids and emollients from the GP helped) and was still in pain, but over time, it has been bloody amazing.

All the don't take anything, put yourself through constant pain is bollocks. You take whatever you need. You use whatever medication you need. You change your diet as you need (and change straight back if it doesn't make you feel better). We've got genetic coding for our bodies being complete bastards to us. No amount of thinking positively will teach our immune systems to 'learn' how to be different from the way they are inherently set up. You do everything you need to feel better and don't feel guilty about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

livdiv1992

Yes I have it on my scalp and surrounding areas as well as my elbows. On a whim I tried something completely random - bepanthen - and it healed it up overnight!

Reactions: 5

Londoncailín

VIP Member
I suffer from psoriasis on my scalp, hairline, and corners of my nose. It has definitely flared up over lockdown. I use aveeno cica balm, which I find quite good.

Reactions: 4
Have you guys heard of “no moisture therapy”, it’s basically when you ditch all steroid and moisturisers, so that your body will start producing its own moisture. I’ve read a lot about it on Reddit and online (I’ll attach some articles), but honestly I’m too scared to try it...

Please don't ever ditch moisturizers and basic skin self-care when you have severely dry and atopic skin. It's lunacy.

There is a whole evidence-based knowledge base about how to treat and maintain the health of atopic skin and not one part of it involves the kind of utterly magical thinking that involves withholding all treatments and believing the disease will resolve itself. Imagine applying this thinking to any other disease and you'll see how insane it is. Oh, you have kidney disease? Withhold dialysis and the body will just revolve it on its own. Type 1 Diabetes? Withhold insulin, sure your body will decide to produce insulin again. This is NOT how any organ in your body actually works.

This NMT is based on a total misunderstanding about how skin works, about atopic skin and trans-epidermal water loss, how moisture is held to or lost from the skin, and how moisturizers work. Your skin isn't refusing to produce the elements to hold water in the skin because you use occlusives or moisturizers, it simply cannot do so, so withholding them won't do anything except put you in agony and further inflame your already fragile skin. Corticosteroid creams are anti-inflammatory medicines btw which reduce the inflammation in skin; their job is not moisturizing, it is decreasing inflammation. They are merely used in conjunction with moisturizing creams, washes and so on.

Some people have eczema that is made worse because of a reaction to environmental factors such as very hard water, or dry weather, which promote trans-epidermal water loss. It's vital in those cases to lessen the water loss by using occlusive creams and lotions and avoiding drying things like overwashing, hot water and so on. Eczema sufferers need to keep their skin protected from transepidermal water loss as much as possible, in conjunction with finding their personal inflammtory triggers if possible, and avoiding them. Stopping all medicines and basic protective practices in the hope the disease will suddenly cure itself is medieval.

People do sometimes have rebound and skin thinning issues with very long term or incorrect use of corticosteroids and should work with a proper dermatologist and look into non-steroid treatments such as Protopic cream and related drugs that work differently and often very effectively along with all the other elements of an atopic skin regime. But the issue with the natural dryness of the skin, even when the eczema is not flaring, if often there in some form for life, because it's a genetic issue.

People with naturally dry and atopic skin usually lack the ability to make certain biological elements the way people with normally functioning skin do. Your body won't suddenly develop the ability to make these factors because you decide to stop putting stuff on the upper epidermis, the dead layer.

I had very severe eczema in my teens and 20s (started in early childhood and then exploded when older) and am now 50 and haven't had a real problem beyond sometimes, my hands (from severely cold and dry weather, overwashing or irritants, and I use a corticosteroid, DiproSone Ointment and Urea-based creams to sort that) for decades now. Urea is amazing for preventing trans=eidermal water loss. Eucerin and Altruist do great creams and lotions with high percentages of urea. My skin looks utterly normal now generally. This is because I know and practice good self-care. I by default use body lotion after every single shower, hand cream after every time I wash my hands, face cream every time I wash my face. If I stopped moisturizing, I'd likely be like am elderly aunt of mine, who grew up in a time with barely any real treatments or drugstore options available to her and she told me in the 1960s, she used nothing because nothing was available to her and her skin would just fall off her in giant flakes and sometimes, sheets under her clothes. She still has massively dry skin to this very day.

• Heart
Just stumbled upon this thread. I suffer with extremely bad, itchy, unbearably dry skin but I decided on a whim to try and go as natural as I can with my products. I found a goat milk soap and some oat bath milk and my god the difference is unbelievable, honestly you need to try it. Its been a game changer for me 🤗🥰

I’ve had psoriasis since I was a baby and have pretty much tried everything under the sun. As an adult it’s mostly at bay and only flares up with stress. This year has been full of stress with Coronavirus and university...so yeah I’ve had some uncomfortable flare ups. It really knocks my self esteem and body image

My favourite things to use are aveeno and eumovate!
This so the same as me. Was awful as a child but apart from the odd flare up I’ve been good lately.
I’m naughty and use sunbeds to clear it . Which obviously isn’t an option at the moment. Egyptian magic cream seems to keep it at bay a little.
yeah it really messes with my mental health
Bloody covid 🙄

Yes I have it on my scalp and surrounding areas as well as my elbows. On a whim I tried something completely random - bepanthen - and it healed it up overnight!
Oh really? I have it on my elbows quite badly too. I guess it’s worth a try!

It is an awful thing to experience :cautious:. I hadn't had a flare-up in years but just in the past few months have had an outbreak over one of my breasts which is just so uncomfortable (itchy, sore, hot ... all the feels). I typically use a couple of different products, which both help in different ways -'Bio Oil' and 'Palmers Skin Repair Oil', but it's still there ... and annoying me. I can't really pinpoint what's caused it ... probably stress, as I haven't changed my washing machine liquid, and I wear cotton bras.
I think mine has to be stress as it’s come from nowhere 😔

Hey guys hope you are all well, just to back some of the posters above, I was prescribed enstilar spray. It’s really good. Took maybe a week to make a real difference but iit really worked.

Reactions: 3

chorizorice

Hi all ❤
I’m 35 days free from alcohol and my psoriasis is getting better everyday! Yeah, It’s a bit boring, but I’m so happy and if I can go off all alcohol just to see a difference in my skin, anyone can. I’ve also been putting olive oil on as a moisturiser haha and getting in sun every other day. But I’m certain being sober is what’s helped my skin so much!

I’ve had a really bad flare up recently so I saw a dermatologist, who has given me antibiotics and antibacterial medication to calm my skin. But it’s getting really bad lately and affecting my life so much :( I’m due for a follow up in 6 weeks, if it remains like this, he said he’s considering putting me on Methotrexate :(
It can be a wonderful medication for some. Obviously there are provisos on that; try to get injections straight off, as you have less nausea with it, always, always, ALWAYS take your folic acid on non MTX days and take precautions about infection (wearing something on your feet in the house is a big one, as is looking after your feet in general), but the biggest thing is whether or not you are planning children as it's out of the question whilst you're on it. Sometimes it's possible to go straight onto a biologic instead if that's the case.

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I’ve had psoriasis since I was a baby and have pretty much tried everything under the sun. As an adult it’s mostly at bay and only flares up with stress. This year has been full of stress with Coronavirus and university...so yeah I’ve had some uncomfortable flare ups. It really knocks my self esteem and body image

My favourite things to use are aveeno and eumovate!

Lozmog

I swear by eumovate but it’s deffo stress related. It took so long to be diagnosed - I’m soo pale sun beds aren’t really all option 👎

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Do you guys often feel self conscious in hot weather, and wearing short sleeves? I’m trying to overcome the feeling because I know that fresh air and sun is good for my skin. But, even though my eczema isn’t really noticeable I still feel like people will look at me ☹

Reactions: 2

Clickbait

VIP Member
I have a type of eczema called Pomphylox (Greek word for bubbles) - or more commonly dyshidrotic eczema. It affects the hands and soles of the feet. It looks awful - little bubbles beneath the skin. It all peels and can be really sore.

I just put this in here as no one else has mentioned it. It may be useful for someone.
Thank you. I used to have this type of eczema a lot on my feet when I was little. It was awful. Haven’t had it in years and about 3 months ago it cropped up on my finger. I’ve been keeping it moisturised and trying not to scratch. If it gets worse I’ll try and get some of that stuff. I dread it spreading.

• Sad

Curly Top

VIP Member
I have a type of eczema called Pomphylox (Greek word for bubbles) - or more commonly dyshidrotic eczema. It affects the hands and soles of the feet. It looks awful - little bubbles beneath the skin. It all peels and can be really sore.

I actually only get in on my right foot now but I was prescribed Diprosalic cream, which always clears it up quickly. Thank goodness. I never want to be without this cream.

It is good for scaly type of eczema and unlike some steroids does not thin the skin.

I just put this in here as no one else has mentioned it. It may be useful for someone.

Clickbait

VIP Member
I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis when I was 27 which I got after a bad case of tonsillitis. It cleared up really quickly on my legs using a steroid cream (Dovobet) but I was also having regular sunbeds.

It returned with a vengeance a few years ago on my scalp (so hard to treat), my elbows, my ears (behind, around, inside -so itchy!) and patches on my legs, arms, face, hands. Some have come and gone but the elbows have remained and nothing I’ve done has shifted that.

I think psoriasis is really sneaky because you can try something that really works only for your body to catch up and it to start failing again. For me sunshine and Dovobet have worked to clear completely although I’m very sparing nowadays with the use of steroid creams. To just manage I find a very rich moisturiser keeps the flaking at bay. The Body Shop Hemp body moisturiser is good. I tried another one with Dead Sea minerals and that was great but too expensive to use regularly!

I had eczema as a child really, really badly but have managed to grow out of that in the most part. I think dairy is supposed to be bad for eczema.

Re: drinking water - I drink at least 3 litres a day every day and I’ve found it makes no difference to flare ups. Stress, tiredness and alcohol are my triggers.

I’ll give the bepanthen and the Child’s Farm stuff a go and happily report back. It’s always good to share success stories.

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Glad I found this thread now and shared it 😊 if you do try different oats please let me know how you find it an if there's a difference, will be interesting to know how different oats are
I heard you have to get more “refined” ones, like a powder. But I guess you could just crush the normal ones 😂

my eczema had been so bad lately, seemingly with no cause. It has been taking a toll on my mental health and I’m so glad I found this thread ♥

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
It can be a wonderful medication for some. Obviously there are provisos on that; try to get injections straight off, as you have less nausea with it, always, always, ALWAYS take your folic acid on non MTX days and take precautions about infection (wearing something on your feet in the house is a big one, as is looking after your feet in general), but the biggest thing is whether or not you are planning children as it's out of the question whilst you're on it. Sometimes it's possible to go straight onto a biologic instead if that's the case.
Im not planning a family for at least the next 3/4 years. I’m trying so hard to get out on Dupixent injections but they cost £1300 per injection on the NHS, so there’s many hoops to jump through to even be considered for them. The derm I saw recently, who gave me the antibiotics/antifungal meds have done nothing at all. They don’t stop the itch I feel constantly :(

my brother was on Cyclosporine for his eczema but he was taken off it when his liver function tests came back worse. But I’ve done a lot of research on Dupixent, it’s a monoclonal antibody treatment which stops the signalling for skin inflammation. No steroids, no immunosuppressive. It honestly sounds like a dream

this week has been really tough

• Sad
Bit of a niche subject but wondering if there was any psoriasis sufferers on here who have any tips or just want to talk.
I haven’t had a flare up in years and years and have been so lucky. Lockdown and a crappy year has made it awful. So tips welcome. :)