Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Welshgal

VIP Member
Very interesting topic! I‘m currently studying law and thinking of becoming a criminal defense attorney, if that happens I will have to write to prisoners (obviously) but before then? I‘m not sure if I‘d do it just for the „fun“ of it.
I‘m not even sure if it‘s possible in Germany tbh.

Reactions: 1

Base2019

VIP Member
I’ve somehow went down a rabbit hole of looking up the FBIs most wanted... I find this stuff so interesting

ProphecyGirl

VIP Member
so they come out and do the same, a job goes badly and someone ends up in a box?
Can you look the thread please? I honestly came here for advice and to hear stories but the passive aggressive comments made by people haven’t really helped. I enjoy hearing as to why people think it’s a bad idea but it’s turning into a debate and not advice now...

catcat94

Out of curiosity,

you make “friends” with this prisoner, under the impression they were wrongly accused or that they’re rehabilitated.

they seem normal and nothing shady goes on, it’s just a friendship and that’s that.

5 years down the line, after release, you find out they stabbed a 75 year old woman to death, or raped and killed a girlfriend, or hurt a child.

how would you (or anyone) feel that you offered them friendship.
Very valid point to make.
But with the internet you can literally read all about why they’re arrested, the prisons they’ve been throughout time, if they’ve been arrested previously, how much bail is. Nothing is exactly private.
The two people I speak to are in over drugs - possession, intent to sell, equipment etc

HankMcPrank

VIP Member
I haven’t read the thread but I would be concerned. Yes they may not have committed a murder but you don’t go to prison for the fun of it...... am I missing something. Here?

For the record I’m not trying to cause any harm or concern... I’m just genuinely intrigued.

After reading the posts about jury duty, and volunteering for it... how does one apply for that?
man I a weirdo, I’d love to be called up!

Last edited:

Shaunaftw

My boyfriend and I was watching a series on Netflix about people on death row and he was so shocked when I told him people write to them. I'm the same as you (maybe more naive) to believe some people shouldn't be in prison for whatever reason so writing to the would be nice and may help them. But then those genuine cases are probably few and far between and there's not really any way of knowing is there? I can't say it's something I'd do because I would 100000% get sucked in because I give people the benifit of doubt which isn't good with this sort of situation!
Surely the prison don't give them your address though?!?
I think I will look in to writing to someone in care though, I work for the local authority and often spend too much time on jobs where you know they are just lonely and want a chat!

ProphecyGirl

VIP Member
oh I called you naive!
you clarified you’d read the comment I made wrong so your subsequent reply to me was incredibly naive 😂

The beauty of this site when it comes to advice is you get a mix of replies, take none to heart, you’ve raised a topic and many have added their own experiences or thoughts,

at this point I think admin should do an assessment on everyone who sets up an advice thread because 99.9999999999999999% they cry for it to be removed if they don’t get the answers they’re looking for. 😬
Oh no i didn’t mean because you said that....I am naive in my own personal relationships so maybe that’s taken effect here

ProphecyGirl

VIP Member
My favourites are Red handed and All Killa, No Filla. Love that they're both presented by British women around my age who are funny and engaging, they do a lot of research!

I also listen to:

Wine and Crime - 3 drunk Americans who drink wine and chat true crime, this is the most laid back of them all with the littlest detail but they have funny stories and confessions so you can dip in and out

True Crime Garage - 2 American men, ones voice is just like Rossi from Criminal Minds, they've had John Douglas the famous profiler on their show and really get in to their cases

Seeing Red - another British pod, but more serious

They walk among us - one man presenter with a lot of detail

Crime Junkie - quite short recaps of famous cases

Morbid - mixture of murders and spooky stuff

Crime Weekly - this is quite new and it's presented by youtUber Stephanie Harlowe and a police man so tend to be very detail focused

Thank you for replying - I'm glad you're looking at other types of penpals too as like many have said there are plenty of lonely people out there, for me I was interested in whether it's inmates specifically you want to engage with and if so why but obviously that's not the case.

All the best with it and stay safe :)
I am going to check some of these out! I've been looking for a decent one.

I enjoy watching Bailey Sarian's videos and haven't found something else to listen to/watch along side her

ProphecyGirl

VIP Member
wtf 😂 why are we spending millions rehabilitating these criminals if you can predict their future?

how do you know what their financial situation will be on the outside, after serving time and making connections with fellow inmates?
This is incredibly naive 😐
I read your question wrong. I thought you meant that being the reason they’re there.

catcat94

Yes but Jimmy's mother and Frank's sister can't help who they're related to. You deliberately sought out two random convicted drug dealers so you could be pen pals.
Being in possession of drugs doesn’t make you a drug dealer, it makes you part of a bad chain. But I can see the valid argument you’re making and I suppose that’s fair enough, it makes sense.

TJ90

VIP Member
Do you watch Love After Lockup? Most of the people on it have found relationships through write a prisoner and have been in relationships for years with the other person on the inside! Some of them even got married in prison despite having never met or known the person on the outside. It’s really interesting. The show follows the relationships once the prisoners are released (both men and women) - it’s crazy.
What channel is this on please?

ProphecyGirl

VIP Member
100% this and I do agree with it.

However, keep in mind the type of environment prison is. It's basically a place where criminals get to meet other criminals, and isn't the rehabilitation place everyone thinks it is - it should be, but the reality is that it isn't.

There is a reason people come out of prison and re-offend. I'd just be very careful that they aren't using you, because most of them will be.
Oh definitely!! It can go one of two ways. Some prisoners end up learning a skill and making a great life once they’re out and others go the wrong way again

ProphecyGirl

VIP Member
Have been writing to prisoners since last summer time. There’s not a lot of harm in it. Be careful and only tell them what you want them to know. Don’t see problems with it!
Do you write multiple or just the one!? Yeah I've not said much in my first letter just a general summary! :)