Prison life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My pet hate is trying to make justice into a business. It never works. The state cant do it so why in the every living duck do they think a private co can do it
Yep profit and money should never be brought into the justice system. In my opinion it should never of been done with elderly care.

Reactions: 12
My phobia is going to prison. I could not cope. I'm still scarred from "the marigolds/margarine scene" in Bad Girls 😭😭. Not sure how true it was, but absolutely loved the TV show with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham in it - Time, I think it was called?

Reactions: 12
Following this thread! My dream alternative career is prison psychiatrist. Is that mad?! It’s prob not quite like they show it on things like The Fall…

• Haha
Reactions: 5
My phobia is going to prison. I could not cope. I'm still scarred from "the marigolds/margarine scene" in Bad Girls 😭😭. Not sure how true it was, but absolutely loved the TV show with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham in it - Time, I think it was called?
I couldn’t cope in prison either as an inmate! Honestly I would absolutely hate it.
Yeah Time it was called, although I can’t comment on it as I only watched the first episode 🤦🏽‍♀️ I prefer watching prison documentaries in the UK rather than dramas based on prisons but that’s just my preference
Some of the ones on YouTube are quite insightful as to what a day in the life is like. Inside prison behind bars & also uks prison violence exposed (but I haven’t watched the whole thing so don’t quote me hahahah)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My best friends brother has been in prison a few times over the years. No direct experience myself but he got that good at playing pool/snooker -are they the same? - I don’t know but I know I’ve seen him pot every ball In one shot multiple times and no one likes playing him anymore because he always wins.

he escaped a few times aswell. One time was at Christmas and the police rang his mum and said he wouldn’t get any time added on if he came back on Boxing Day so he did 😂

In all fairness tho it was never prison he needed and eventually he was treated in a secure unit for mental health for a good couple of years.

He’s never been done for anything violent, one time he robbed a department store (the store was closed he smashed the window to get in) left a trail of clothes to his front door, answered the door to the police wearing clothes complete with security tags and told them he’d been at home all night.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
We’ve recently had a new governor, well he started when I transferred there last year but from what people were saying the previous governor was AWFUL!!!! Did not care about staff at all!!
I agree it’s a dump though. But what prison isn’t?! 😂🤦🏽‍♀️
I cant say ive visited a UK one that ive ever thought “its better than a Travelodge”.

But ive met some seriously talented officers and staff who work in fairly squalid conditions managed by some serious dickheads.

Few of whom have become really good mates. One of which is coming to stay with us next week 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
My best friends brother has been in prison a few times over the years. No direct experience myself but he got that good at playing pool/snooker -are they the same? - I don’t know but I know I’ve seen him pot every ball In one shot multiple times and no one likes playing him anymore because he always wins.

he escaped a few times aswell. One time was at Christmas and the police rang his mum and said he wouldn’t get any time added on if he came back on Boxing Day so he did 😂

In all fairness tho it was never prison he needed and eventually he was treated in a secure unit for mental health for a good couple of years.

He’s never been done for anything violent, one time he robbed a department store (the store was closed he smashed the window to get in) left a trail of clothes to his front door, answered the door to the police wearing clothes complete with security tags and told them he’d been at home all night.
Sorry for the laughing reaction but I did have a little giggle reading this! I’m glad he got the help he needed though as I deal with a lot of prisoners with severe mental health issues and honestly prison just doesn’t help them at all! They do their best but sometimes they need more help than what we offer.
The pool/snooker question - lads come in with no idea how to play, few weeks/months they’re amazing at it! I also don’t know the rules or the difference but I know you have to call what pocket you’re potting the black into otherwise all hell breaks lose 😂
We had tournaments around Christmas and new year time and the winner won £5 pin credit 😂

Reactions: 7

it’s this that I find quite sad about prison. How many will be there because of MH issues. I don’t know if anyone remembers that bbc3 documentary sex, drugs and murder? It’s about prostitutes in Leeds, they’re all addicts and nearly all of them were in care when they were younger. They start on drugs, then prostitution to fund the habit, all of them had been in prison at some point. Some even enjoyed prison because it helped them get clean for a bit. Most of them didn’t seem phased by going. It’s such a sad documentary but really highlights the issues- it was just a vicious cirlce for these girls.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
The pool/snooker question - lads come in with no idea how to play, few weeks/months they’re amazing at it! I also don’t know the rules or the difference but I know you have to call what pocket you’re potting the black into otherwise all hell breaks lose 😂
Well theres duck all else to do 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Sorry for the laughing reaction but I did have a little giggle reading this! I’m glad he got the help he needed though as I deal with a lot of prisoners with severe mental health issues and honestly prison just doesn’t help them at all! They do their best but sometimes they need more help than what we offer.
We had tournaments around Christmas and new year time and the winner won £5 pin credit 😂
He laughs about it himself now don’t worry 😂 I wouldn’t have shared otherwise.

I remember once coming back (my best friend was my next door neighbour growing up) to a street full of police cars. My friend told me he’d robbed Tesco and their mum looked offended and went “excuse me, he did NOT rob Tesco. He paid For everything from Tesco it was the bookies he robbed”
Me and my bestie were doubled over like “Oh that’s ok then mum” (she’s a second mum to me).

Again, non violent, a staff member had left £500 out on the counter and he picked it up and walked off and went and did a massive food shop for his mum and bought beer for everybody 😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
He laughs about it himself now don’t worry 😂 I wouldn’t have shared otherwise.

I remember once coming back (my best friend was my next door neighbour growing up) to a street full of police cars. My friend told me he’d robbed Tesco and their mum looked offended and went “excuse me, he did NOT rob Tesco. He paid For everything from Tesco it was the bookies he robbed”
Me and my bestie were doubled over like “Oh that’s ok then mum” (she’s a second mum to me).

Again, non violent, a staff member had left £500 out on the counter and he picked it up and walked off and went and did a massive food shop for his mum and bought beer for everybody 😂😂
Sorry ive just snorted my drink out of my nose.

Thats hillarious 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
it’s this that I find quite sad about prison. How many will be there because of MH issues. I don’t know if anyone remembers that bbc3 documentary sex, drugs and murder? It’s about prostitutes in Leeds, they’re all addicts and nearly all of them were in care when they were younger. They start on drugs, then prostitution to fund the habit, all of them had been in prison at some point. Some even enjoyed prison because it helped them get clean for a bit. Most of them didn’t seem phased by going. It’s such a sad documentary but really highlights the issues- it was just a vicious cirlce for these girls.
Absolutely loads are in prison due to mental health issues. I’ve got a lad who went to a police station & started smashing it up and threatening the officers with a broken bottle purely for the fact he was struggling with his mental health & wanted to go back to prison.
It is really sad & during keyworker sessions (which rarely get facilitated but I love when I get detailed keyworker) you can actually sit and have a somewhat deep conversation about their past and what some of them have been through is absolutely horrible.
I don’t condone crime in the slightest but hearing everyone’s individual stories you can’t help but feel for them in some way and have empathy towards them and then others are just downright vile human beings who have had everything given to them on a plate, a normal ish upbringing and are just awful awful people

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Absolutely loads are in prison due to mental health issues. I’ve got a lad who went to a police station & started smashing it up and threatening the officers with a broken bottle purely for the fact he was struggling with his mental health & wanted to go back to prison.
It is really sad & during keyworker sessions (which rarely get facilitated but I love when I get detailed keyworker) you can actually sit and have a somewhat deep conversation about their past and what some of them have been through is absolutely horrible.
I don’t condone crime in the slightest but hearing everyone’s individual stories you can’t help but feel for them in some way and have empathy towards them and then others are just downright vile human beings who have had everything given to them on a plate, a normal ish upbringing and are just awful awful people
Thats why you are good at what you do. With your training and humanity you can walk that very fine line between empathy and security. I always look at it as explanation rather than excuse

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Definitely. He’s not been back inside since he spent all that time there. It was a relief when he went there even if he did ring me (on my then-partners number he thought was mine for some reason, good job my ex is a fab understanding bloke) at 4/5 in the morning every morning for a chat bless him.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Definitely. He’s not been back inside since he spent all that time there. It was a relief when he went there even if he did ring me (on my then-partners number he thought was mine for some reason, good job my ex is a fab understanding bloke) at 4/5 in the morning every morning for a chat bless him.
And that is the key aim for people like @eggfriedrice

He is a success story and he should be proud of that

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Totally agree. A lot of people will disagree with me on this too, but I find it appalling that one of my brothers friends who is currently in prison for selling drugs, will have done more time in prison by the time he’s released than two child molesters (one of whom was sentenced to 50 years in total, and served 7, and was then welcomed back by his wife three doors down from us) I know combined by the time he comes out, for selling substances to grown adults who asked for them.

Some will disagree with me on that, but to me, there’s no sense in it. He comes from a big family of drug dealers.They haven’t taken any drugs off the streets by jailing him as another family member just takes his place.

The cycle needs to be broken there, rather than locking him up and slapping a label that will probably do more to prevent him gaining legit employment and drive him back to it when he does come out. By all means lock up the nasty dangerous violent dealers, the ones who sell to kids. But not everyone is like that and a one size fits all solution is never going to solve anything.

They also made out like he had manipulated his driver somehow. He had not. I was buying weed off them back then (I don’t smoke it anymore)
Me and my partner TOLD the guy on multiple occasions he was gonna get himself caught - as we would meet him and he’d do things like get us to follow him back, so you’d got him ragging a BMW around and us behind him in a 700BHP supercar on one of the roughest council estates in the area. He knew what he was doing.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It can be so frustrating for officers when they put so much time into helping prisoners with pretty much everything for their release and then in a couple of weeks see them back in prison
When I worked in a YOI I used to help lads with college applications and housing placements when I worked on the resettlement unit and most of them either ended up dead or back in prison, it’s really sad to see
---
Totally agree. A lot of people will disagree with me on this too, but I find it appalling that one of my brothers friends who is currently in prison for selling drugs, will have done more time in prison by the time he’s released than two child molesters (one of whom was sentenced to 50 years in total, and served 7, and was then welcomed back by his wife three doors down from us) I know combined by the time he comes out, for selling substances to grown adults who asked for them.

Some will disagree with me on that, but to me, there’s no sense in it. He comes from a big family of drug dealers.They haven’t taken any drugs off the streets by jailing him as another family member just takes his place.

The cycle needs to be broken there, rather than locking him up and slapping a label that will probably do more to prevent him gaining legit employment and drive him back to it when he does come out. By all means lock up the nasty dangerous violent dealers, the ones who sell to kids. But not everyone is like that.

They also made out like he had manipulated his driver somehow. He had not. I was buying weed off them back then (I don’t smoke it anymore)
Me and my partner TOLD the guy on multiple occasions he was gonna get himself caught - as we would meet him and he’d do things like get us to follow him back, so you’d got him ragging a BMW around and us behind him in a 700BHP supercar on one of the roughest council estates in the area. He knew what he was doing.
No I completely understand where you’re coming from with the sentences and how frustrating it is.
You’ve got people who have sexually assaulted their OWN CHILDREN, recorded it, put it online & get 4 years do 2…. Yet drug dealers getting 10+ years
Obviously I’m not a judge and don’t work that side of things but I do see where you’re coming from

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Not the same thing, but kinda. My teenage son has special needs and uses a respite service occasionally. There's people trying to open private services atm. Unfortunately where there's money to be made you'll always get some gobshite trying to capitalise !
Exactly that. I have a friend in the UK who was a prison officer and left to join the private prison company next door. Shes now trying to go back to the prison service. Read into that what you will 😂

Reactions: 1