Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

wakametango

Chatty Member
I’m carrying his child so it’s something I’ll continue to discuss with him and make a decision together :)

Reactions: 6

Asdfghjkll

Chatty Member
I’m 23 weeks + 3 and double jabbed with Pfizer if anyone has any questions! Me and baby absolutely fine- I had my first before conceiving (we conceived 2 weeks after my first dose!) so there has been a bit of a delay but happy it’s done.

As for midwives telling women “it’s up to you”- this is what they should be doing; they shouldn’t be telling you yes or no. As horrible as it is that you have to make this big decision for yourself, the RCOG guidance states that it is the pregnant woman and pregnant woman’s decision alone to have the vaccine. Health professionals such as midwives, and actually doctors have the responsibility to ensure you have BALANCED information about the vaccine- the potential benefits and the potential risks.
I come from a background of nursing/maternity and am constantly amazed at the moment at the amount of times I’ve seen people say “my midwife said not to” “my GP stated not to” … I do feel like their own biases are shining through and that’s reflecting on pregnant women and it’s not on. Because that pregnant woman will pass that advice on to others, without all the information being passed on too.

For every GP saying no, there are ones saying yes. There are top Tommy’s professors urging pregnant women to have the vaccines.

Whatever decision you make is completely respected and the best for YOU and your baby but please please please make sure it is informed x
Agree with everything you’re saying!
I personally think a lot of people are hiding behind the “my midwife/gp said not to” as it almost seems like a “valid” reason rather than just saying they’re not choosing to get it. I suppose they’re worried about negativity from making that decision. Although I’m sure there are some rogue professionals who are giving their personal bias either way!

• Heart

LongishCat

VIP Member
To quote myself from last week Monday (31st of May):
Had my first vaccin shot today!
Wanted to get it as I don't want to risk getting Covid, which is extra dangerous during pregnancy. I based my decision on my work and private life, the scientific information available, conversations with my doctor, gynaecologist and partner (who works in the pharma industry), and the fact that I'd love to see this pandemic end as soon as possible. So I do feel safe and as of yet no symptoms, but it's still early.
One of the possible symptoms is nausea though. Not agaaaiiiin 😅

----------
I had my vaccine at 18+3 weeks. My gynaegologist did say was best to wait until after the first trimester, but otherwise recommended getting it. I'm happy I got it, it does give me peace of mind. I don't want to risk losing my girl due to this horrid virus.
We're a bit over a week later, no real side effects apart from a sore arm for about two days.
Baby is still kicking about, and it calms me to think she'll be vaccinated as well because of this.

Second shot is scheduled in a few weeks from now. Will report back then (unless I forget, I have severe pregnancy brain 😅)

• Heart

standupsitdown

Chatty Member
I’m 13 weeks, had one shot of Moderna and can’t wait for the second. I love the thought of being protected against severe COVID and long COVID, and love the thought of my baby being born with some antibodies. I’ll have the flu shot too when offered it, no hesitation on either.

I’m much more fearful of COVID than a vaccine that has been used by millions of pregnant women with no ill effects to to them or their unborn babies. They were quick to warn about the (very rare) clotting issue with the AZ vaccine so I am confident we’d have heard about issues with Moderna and Pfizer. I don’t believe in conspiracy theories or cover ups when it comes to the pregnant women vaccination guidelines.

I respect everyone’s individual choices though.

ktypage

It’s probably been mentioned on here before, sorry! But “Pregnant then Screwed” have a fantastic video about all things covid vaccine & fertility/pregnancy/breastfeeding. I definitely recommend checking it out.
F635F192-172A-416C-A30A-4036288FC935.jpeg

• Heart

Asdfghjkll

Chatty Member
I’d be very surprised if people were hiding behind what their GP says…. My gp said to wait because my situation is different and I’m able to isolate. Do you honestly think people want to isolate and shield for months unless they had good reason? I will be getting the vaccine AFTER I have my child and at the moment I would rather wait 3 more months as I do not want anything risking the health of a child I have being trying for for years
There will be a lot opposite to you that won’t isolate and won’t get the vaccine and hide behind “my gp said not to” because they don’t want judgey people calling them out on it or getting into an argument. I’ve seen a fair few comments on my pregnancy page with the disclaimer “if you’ve had the vaccine I don’t want your opinion” or such like, because they don’t want to hear it.

I’m not saying you’re making the wrong decision, or anyone else is, you’re doing what’s best for your family and that’s fine by me ☺ I didn’t mean for my comment to come across in the way you’ve read it so I apologise for not being more clear.

But why should a pregnant woman (or anyone) have to give a reason valid or otherwise as to why they have decided against it? And why should there be any negativity for that decision? My understanding was that taking the vaccine came down to personal choice (pregnant or not) and yet it seems a proportion of society is not in agreement with that anymore....
I don’t think they should have to give a reason - I should have made that clear! But lots of people will think they do and so it’s easier for them to say “my midwife said not to” than have people ask for their reasons. You know what people are like! I’m all for people making an informed choice ☺ I apologise for not being clearer!

• Heart

SavvyBee

VIP Member
I’m two days post my second Pfizer vaccine and currently 20w4d pregnant. No side effects other than a sore arm (feels like a mild bruise/ache, it’s barely there today). I had my first vaccine 7 weeks ago and had no side effects then either bar a sore arm, which was worse this time but not bad at all (same arm). I’ve since had my anomaly scan and check ups with my obstetrician and both baby and I are healthy and well, growing happily as expected.

• Heart

Fizzwhizz2020

Chatty Member
I personally wouldn’t have it if pregnant but that’s just me. I’m sure it’s fine. I had mine today and there was a lady getting hers who was pregnant and the drs said that it was fine to have. Go with what is best for you. We have quite a few pregnant ladies at work, but they’re waiting until they’ve had their babies. I personally wouldn’t judge anyone whether they’ve had the vaccine or not. It doesn’t stop you catching it, it just lessens the symptoms. But if my partner wanted me to have it and I wasn’t sure, I wouldn’t be getting it. It’s my body after all and I have more of a say x

Reactions: 5

Jellybean093

VIP Member
I had my first vaccine when I wasn’t pregnant, and then I got the text to book for my second. I spoke to the gp which was no help! They sent a link to the gov.uk website which had nothing on there about having the first not pregnant and the second pregnant. Anyway, I spoke to my midwives at my booking (about 9 weeks) and they said if I didn’t have major side effects, then I should go ahead and have it. So I booked it in to get AZ. I’m under 35, but I think it was the day after my first, they said not to get AZ and to get Pfizer. Typical 😂
So I’ve had 2x AZ 1 not pregnant, 1 around 9 weeks. The first I had fully like symptoms, the second, a sore arm. I am now nearly 14 weeks 🙂

Jellybb

VIP Member
I’ve already decided it’s best for me to wait until the baby is born in November to get the vaccine. It works as I am still furloughed and have been given extra time off work. I am kind of pissed off now as the country has passed legislation on vaccinated people dining indoors and the unvaccinated being stuck outdoors so it’s like we are being persecuted for our choice

Misty bananas

There will be a lot opposite to you that won’t isolate and won’t get the vaccine and hide behind “my gp said not to” because they don’t want judgey people calling them out on it or getting into an argument. I’ve seen a fair few comments on my pregnancy page with the disclaimer “if you’ve had the vaccine I don’t want your opinion” or such like, because they don’t want to hear it.

I’m not saying you’re making the wrong decision, or anyone else is, you’re doing what’s best for your family and that’s fine by me ☺ I didn’t mean for my comment to come across in the way you’ve read it so I apologise for not being more clear.

I don’t think they should have to give a reason - I should have made that clear! But lots of people will think they do and so it’s easier for them to say “my midwife said not to” than have people ask for their reasons. You know what people are like! I’m all for people making an informed choice ☺ I apologise for not being clearer!
I agree with you that many people seem to expect a reason. And the funny thing is two years ago most of us wouldn't have dreamed of asking personal medical questions of each other....but here we are. I decided against getting it a number of weeks ago. Now cases are rising in Ireland and there is massive push on the vaccine from the government and media. And in the last few weeks not only have family and friends questioned my decision ( having previously accepted it without a thought) but random half friends have taken it upon themselves to question and comment 😂 it doesnt bother me really because it's such a topical thing at the moment, and I strongly believe in freedom of choice to get the vaccine or not get it, but I find it interesting to observe how our behaviour and approaches have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time. Its interesting that anytime I meet a pregnant woman now at appointments etc the first question is always "have you got the vaccine???" Followed swiftly by "and why not?????"
Thank you for explaining and I was very interested in your response.

• Heart

wakametango

Chatty Member
What a great thread, no judgement just different opinions ❤ before getting pregnant I decided I wouldn't get it until after baby, however I have changed my mind and when offered I will accept. I'm young but overweight, work in a supermarket and won't be able to shield, my SD goes to school, my son will be starting nursery and I'm due in December! So with all the extra mixing my family will be doing and not being able to shield etc It feels safer for me to get it than not x
Exactly the point. We can get swept away with what ever narrative we pick up in the media so real experiences from real women are just what you need to Hear sometimes!
Good luck 💖

• Heart

LongishCat

VIP Member
Update, had my vaccine two days ago and had a bit of a rough day yesterday, but no more symptoms today :)

• Heart
I had Pfizer at 27 weeks last week. No side effects except a sore arm. I had it because I deemed the risk of catching Covid/getting long Covid to have a potential greater impact on me and my baby than the relatively unknown risk of the vaccine. I was a bit nervous about it but my husband and family were all really supportive. I also wanted to get on with my life and not constantly be worried about avoiding certain situations after a year + of WFH and the impact on my mental health (I’m continuing to be careful of course). Good luck with whatever you decide x

• Heart

Nursty

VIP Member
Have managed to reschedule my second Pfizer vaccine from mid August to next week. I’ll be 35 weeks. Would rather have it now than the week before my due date! I’ve heard of so many people self isolating or catching Covid this past few weeks (most of them having had at least one vaccine) and can’t help feeling it’s only a matter of time 😐
I've done the same. Both of my children have been isolating this week as have friends who have caught it. My friend caught it in the hospital having her section!

• Sad

wakametango

Chatty Member
I didn’t get any notifications for this thread!

Nice to hear from other pregnant ladies all in different boats and view points 💖

I thought this thread would be a good place for others to scan over with real experiences from real women as I’m always dubious to believe the media or what people have heard through their best friends, aunt’s cat sitters cousin 😂

Glad to hear all has gone well with those of you that have gone for it 💛

Tui

VIP Member
I had my baby in April after a loss in April 2020 so have been pregnant for almost all of the pandemic. I chose to wait until I’d had the baby. The vaccine became available to me around January as an NHS worker but by this point I was 28+ weeks and working from home and only going out for exercise as we were in lockdown. I therefore decided to wait especially as my Trust were putting barriers up to pregnant workers having it, needing an obstetrician to sign it off etc. Had my jab when baby was 5 weeks old.
If I had been earlier in pregnancy and still going out and about, working etc and especially if seeing patients then I would have definitely had the vaccine in pregnancy .

I had the Pfizer vaccine at 35 weeks and had no side effects. Was set against getting it until I actually got the offer to have it and then just felt it was the right thing to do based on the facts available at the time and discussion with my GP.

Misty bananas

Agree with everything you’re saying!
I personally think a lot of people are hiding behind the “my midwife/gp said not to” as it almost seems like a “valid” reason rather than just saying they’re not choosing to get it. I suppose they’re worried about negativity from making that decision. Although I’m sure there are some rogue professionals who are giving their personal bias either way!
But why should a pregnant woman (or anyone) have to give a reason valid or otherwise as to why they have decided against it? And why should there be any negativity for that decision? My understanding was that taking the vaccine came down to personal choice (pregnant or not) and yet it seems a proportion of society is not in agreement with that anymore....