Pregnancy + the vaccine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 13 weeks, had one shot of Moderna and can’t wait for the second. I love the thought of being protected against severe COVID and long COVID, and love the thought of my baby being born with some antibodies. I’ll have the flu shot too when offered it, no hesitation on either.

I’m much more fearful of COVID than a vaccine that has been used by millions of pregnant women with no ill effects to to them or their unborn babies. They were quick to warn about the (very rare) clotting issue with the AZ vaccine so I am confident we’d have heard about issues with Moderna and Pfizer. I don’t believe in conspiracy theories or cover ups when it comes to the pregnant women vaccination guidelines.

I respect everyone’s individual choices though.
Mine is tomorrow and this was the kind of post I really needed to read today. Thank you. ❤

Reactions: 3
Mine is tomorrow and this was the kind of post I really needed to read today. Thank you. ❤
You’re so welcome. Pregnancy is such an anxious time but I’ve got a feeling this is going to give you great peace of mind. Even more so when we get the 2nd.

My arm was a little bit sore for about two days, but no more so than if I had been lightly punched. And I slept like a log until quite late the next day and the tiredness lasted a few days. I took that as a reassuring sign that my body was busy making the protection we need. All the best!!

• Heart
Had my first dose of Pfizer yesterday and such an achey arm after. I'd recommend getting it in the right arm if you've taken to sleeping on your left hand side!

Reactions: 4
Had my first dose of Pfizer yesterday and such an achey arm after. I'd recommend getting it in the right arm if you've taken to sleeping on your left hand side!
I was thinking of you! Happy it went well.
Yeah, the achey arm is definitely real 😅 I had it in my left arm, as I'm right handed, but I also sleep on my left side.
But it should get better after a day or two!

• Heart
I posted this in the pregnancy thread, but hoping someone may be in the same situation!!

I’m really struggling with the whole vaccination thing, I’m 21+5 and I had the first dose of AstraZeneca back in feb when I was around 4 weeks pregnant (didn’t know at the time) my midwife didn’t really give me any advice apart from, if she was me she would wait until baby is born until I get the 2nd dose. There’s just so much conflicting advice now, my head just feels completely muddled 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
I posted this in the pregnancy thread, but hoping someone may be in the same situation!!

I’m really struggling with the whole vaccination thing, I’m 21+5 and I had the first dose of AstraZeneca back in feb when I was around 4 weeks pregnant (didn’t know at the time) my midwife didn’t really give me any advice apart from, if she was me she would wait until baby is born until I get the 2nd dose. There’s just so much conflicting advice now, my head just feels completely muddled 🤷🏻‍♀️

Scroll down to read the guidance

Quickly quoted what I posted on the pregnancy thread as it's relevant here:
What I like to keep in mind is that they do recommend getting a flu vaccine when you're pregnant during flu season. They've recommended this for years and years now. And every year a flu vaccine is altered to work against the flu virusses that they expect to be the most around that year (hope I explained that clearly). So every year there's a "new" flu vaccine.
Also, yes, this covid vaccine has been developed quite quickly, but that's also because companies have put as much resources as possible into this and have put other research (for more rare diseases for example) on hold for the time being.
I don't believe for one second they would start vaccinating the whole world if there's even a little hint of possible world wide disaster.
But it is important to do what makes you feel safest. For me I really wanted to get it (jab 1 done) as I'm around people a lot and don't want to risk getting covid, which comes with high risks for pregnancy/the baby.

Reactions: 4
How did everyone get on after their vaccine? I’m getting mine today and I’m 19 weeks. I’ve found Twitter and Facebook a bit of a minefield regarding the jab in pregnancy after a quick search last night so I’m really anxious this morning.

How did everyone get on after their vaccine? I’m getting mine today and I’m 19 weeks. I’ve found Twitter and Facebook a bit of a minefield regarding the jab in pregnancy after a quick search last night so I’m really anxious this morning.
Only side effect I had was a sore arm for about two days. Other than that I was fine :)
Good luck today!

Reactions: 1
Hi, I so feel you ❤ I was an anxious wreck the day of mine and toyed with bailing out several times.
I had the Pfizer, didn't feel it going in at all. Arm started aching about 3 hours later. I also had a slight headache which I would say felt similar to having blocked sinuses and a bit fatigued but that could well have been just pregnancy!
Had a bit of a fitful sleep purely because my arm was achey and couldn't lay on that side. By the next evening the ache bad gone and I was completely back to normal.
Good luck, you'll be fine xx

I had my first vaccine when I wasn’t pregnant, and then I got the text to book for my second. I spoke to the gp which was no help! They sent a link to the gov.uk website which had nothing on there about having the first not pregnant and the second pregnant. Anyway, I spoke to my midwives at my booking (about 9 weeks) and they said if I didn’t have major side effects, then I should go ahead and have it. So I booked it in to get AZ. I’m under 35, but I think it was the day after my first, they said not to get AZ and to get Pfizer. Typical 😂
So I’ve had 2x AZ 1 not pregnant, 1 around 9 weeks. The first I had fully like symptoms, the second, a sore arm. I am now nearly 14 weeks 🙂

Reactions: 5
What a great thread, no judgement just different opinions ❤ before getting pregnant I decided I wouldn't get it until after baby, however I have changed my mind and when offered I will accept. I'm young but overweight, work in a supermarket and won't be able to shield, my SD goes to school, my son will be starting nursery and I'm due in December! So with all the extra mixing my family will be doing and not being able to shield etc It feels safer for me to get it than not x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
What a great thread, no judgement just different opinions ❤ before getting pregnant I decided I wouldn't get it until after baby, however I have changed my mind and when offered I will accept. I'm young but overweight, work in a supermarket and won't be able to shield, my SD goes to school, my son will be starting nursery and I'm due in December! So with all the extra mixing my family will be doing and not being able to shield etc It feels safer for me to get it than not x
Exactly the point. We can get swept away with what ever narrative we pick up in the media so real experiences from real women are just what you need to Hear sometimes!
Good luck 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Quick update! I just had my second vaccine (Moderna).
Apparently the second one might come with more symptoms (headache, fever, nausea, tiredness, so not that different from oregnancy itself :p). I'll let you know if I get any apart from the sore arm I had last time.
Baby girl is kicking around happily atm 😊

Stay safe everyone! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Quick update! I just had my second vaccine (Moderna).
Apparently the second one might come with more symptoms (headache, fever, nausea, tiredness, so not that different from oregnancy itself :p). I'll let you know if I get any apart from the sore arm I had last time.
Baby girl is kicking around happily atm 😊

Stay safe everyone! ❤
Hope your symptoms are minimal! Will be interested to hear. ❤

Quick first update: not feeling too great. Make sure you have some paracetamol close by when you had your second vaccine.
Head ache, nausea, sore arm and muscles, feverish, veeerry tired (slept really bad).
Should start to feel better tomorrow though 🤞
Keep you posted.

Still happy I got it though, with that new Delta variant going around and work asking us to go to the office more often again. In two weeks I should be fully immune.

Reactions: 7
Quick first update: not feeling too great. Make sure you have some paracetamol close by when you had your second vaccine.
Head ache, nausea, sore arm and muscles, feverish, veeerry tired (slept really bad).
Should start to feel better tomorrow though 🤞
Keep you posted.

Still happy I got it though, with that new Delta variant going around and work asking us to go to the office more often again. In two weeks I should be fully immune.
How many weeks are you now if you don't mind me asking? My second dose is due quite close to my due date and not sure whether to delay it a little.

How many weeks are you now if you don't mind me asking? My second dose is due quite close to my due date and not sure whether to delay it a little.
Currently 22+5.
I'd definitely discuss with your GP and gynaecologist. Maybe they can advise if it's best to wait a bit longer or if it's better to still have it before birth.