Pregnancy #60

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just had our 25 week midwife appt. She used a really old Doppler (telling me her new one was broken) and couldn’t find baby’s heartbeat for ages. Even then she found it for a millisecond. She said she wasn’t worried cos also heard noises that sound like movement. She was like “you aren’t worried are you”? I was like… luckily not because I’m a fairly chilled out person and I’ve been feeling her wriggling a lot the last few days. Also I have my own Doppler so can check in myself. But still, feel so bad for women who might be experiencing reduced movements or have in the past, what an unnecessary stress. They should do a quick ultrasound or nothing in my opinion.
Omg I had a very similar experience at mine but I actually had told her before hand I hadn’t been feeling as much movement that day - I had felt baby first thing but then nothing when I ate breakfast/had a drink which I’d normally get, so I wasn’t super duper worried but was relieved I had the appointment that day.
Anyway 16 week appt the midwife got a heartbeat super clear straight away.
25 week it was a different midwife and a trainee, so the trainee starts with the Doppler and just isn’t getting anything and doesn’t say anything to me either so I tried to keep calm but it was making me really worried. Then she did get a glimmer of something so I relaxed a little bit but she still didn’t say anything and then moved the whole thing to somewhere else. Then the midwife came over and started trying and literally neither of them said anything at all and I was about to have a full on meltdown. my husband had (rightly so) been moved away from the bed but he was just trying to reassure me. Anyway eventually I managed to pluck up the courage to ask if all was okay and she went “oh yeah the heartbeat is all fine we just want a better listen, don’t worry dad it’s fine”.
it was my first experience with something like that and it was honestly horrible - I could really feel myself about to have a full on freak out.

All other appointments including scans the first thing they’ve said is “there’s baby’s heartbeat all sounding good” so that you don’t sit there worrying so I think because that’s what I was expecting it really worried me.

anyway hope it was just a one off and glad yours was all okay too but if I had been really worried about movements I think I would have lost my tit.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Omg I had a very similar experience at mine but I actually had told her before hand I hadn’t been feeling as much movement that day - I had felt baby first thing but then nothing when I ate breakfast/had a drink which I’d normally get, so I wasn’t super duper worried but was relieved I had the appointment that day.
Anyway 16 week appt the midwife got a heartbeat super clear straight away.
25 week it was a different midwife and a trainee, so the trainee starts with the Doppler and just isn’t getting anything and doesn’t say anything to me either so I tried to keep calm but it was making me really worried. Then she did get a glimmer of something so I relaxed a little bit but she still didn’t say anything and then moved the whole thing to somewhere else. Then the midwife came over and started trying and literally neither of them said anything at all and I was about to have a full on meltdown. my husband had (rightly so) been moved away from the bed but he was just trying to reassure me. Anyway eventually I managed to pluck up the courage to ask if all was okay and she went “oh yeah the heartbeat is all fine we just want a better listen, don’t worry dad it’s fine”.
it was my first experience with something like that and it was honestly horrible - I could really feel myself about to have a full on freak out.

All other appointments including scans the first thing they’ve said is “there’s baby’s heartbeat all sounding good” so that you don’t sit there worrying so I think because that’s what I was expecting it really worried me.

anyway hope it was just a one off and glad yours was all okay too but if I had been really worried about movements I think I would have lost my tit.
Ugh it really does cause so much stress. It feels like such an antiquated tool to use for something so important!! God forbid something is actually wrong, after this I don’t see anyone for like 6 weeks. Luckily I just used our home Doppler and found the heartbeat immediately. I didn’t tell her the reason she prob couldn’t find it is because I’m massively constipated and gassy today 😂😂

Ugh it really does cause so much stress. It feels like such an antiquated tool to use for something so important!! God forbid something is actually wrong, after this I don’t see anyone for like 6 weeks. Luckily I just used our home Doppler and found the heartbeat immediately. I didn’t tell her the reason she prob couldn’t find it is because I’m massively constipated and gassy today 😂😂
I know it’s crazy - my husband was stood behind her and was trying to get my attention to say he could see on the screen that it was picking up a heartbeat but he wasn’t with me last time the Doppler was used so I guess for him maybe it wasn’t as worrying! Whereas I know how clearly you can hear the heartbeat on it when it’s in the right place.
That’s good I’m glad you’re able to give yourself reassurance by using one - I’m quite an anxious person so decided against one but I can see why they’d be useful in this situation.
just couldn’t believe two people were stood over me not speaking and not one of them thought to tell me it was okay 🙄
🤣🤣 hope you get some relief soon cause it’s horrible feeling like that!

• Wow
Reactions: 1
It’s bad they didn’t say anything, I’d have been stressing thinking something was wrong!

I was lucky my dopplers always picked up baby very quickly and on scans they always say there’s the heart beating which helps!

It’s bad they didn’t say anything, I’d have been stressing thinking something was wrong!

I was lucky my dopplers always picked up baby very quickly and on scans they always say there’s the heart beating which helps!
I was honestly too scared to ask that I think I just froze staring at their faces - I was too busy being like omg something is actually wrong why didn’t I go in earlier.

But yeah as you say all the other times they’ve straight away found it and reassured me on the heartbeat so I think I was just unlucky and hopefully it won’t happen again (to me or anyone else!)

Can I ask what type of changing mat you’re going for? We’ve bought the Ikea Hemnes chest of drawers too (the 8 drawer long one) and trying to figure out how to make sure a changing mat doesn’t slip around on top!
Funnily enough I JUST googled changing mats two minutes ago 😂 for the same 8 drawers. I did like the idea of those like straw basket ones but I think realistically it’ll be more like this first one. I saw one of the straw ones in M&P last week and it just looks like a faff with the edges of the baskets. Also quite like the ones that have done the extender to do the changing station properly on top but not sure if it’s just a waste of money as it’s coming on bare min £50 for that piece of wood.

Attachments

• Heart
I'm not nearly far along to be thinking about changing mats but I was thinking if there's a big difference if your changing mat is sideways (like first picture) or frontal (like second). I hate those huge boards for changing table but it does look easier and more practical than doing it sideways?

I'm not nearly far along to be thinking about changing mats but I was thinking if there's a big difference if your changing mat is sideways (like first picture) or frontal (like second). I hate those huge boards for changing table but it does look easier and more practical than doing it sideways?
I think it’s much easier changing end on rather than sideways.

@Laughalong those wicker ones look lovely but you’d just end up covering it the whole time i’d think so you’d never see it. It’d only take one stray wee or projectile shart… 🗑🥴

I’m using the snuza monitor again <£100. Not comparable to the owlet but will alarm if it detects no breath. It has a light flash (or beep if you want) on every breath so really helps me feeling anxious. In the night, I can just see the light flash rather than study them or put a hand on their chest.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Changing mat advice- as long as it’s easily wipeable and dryable you go for it. For such tiny humans they make awful lot of mess… and if your other halves are like mine it ends up in places you didn’t know existed 😂😂

I think it’s much easier changing end on rather than sideways.

@Laughalong those wicker ones look lovely but you’d just end up covering it the whole time i’d think so you’d never see it. It’d only take one stray wee or projectile shart… 🗑🥴

I’m using the snuza monitor again <£100. Not comparable to the owlet but will alarm if it detects no breath. It has a light flash (or beep if you want) on every breath so really helps me feeling anxious. In the night, I can just see the light flash rather than study them or put a hand on their chest.
So true. Who wants to get an explosion out of wicker 🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’m 30 weeks today and I noticed when taking my bra off, it smells of warm milk similar to baby smell 😍 I’ve noticed the odd drop but nothing major so I dunno why the smell is so strong

I’ve just bought a cheap changing mat from Asda and another one from next for downstairs. I think I just used cheap ones from matalan last time and had no issues with it sliding off the drawers or anything. I’m going to set the changing mat up on the drawers this time but I’ll probably end up changing the baby on our bed because we’re not setting up a full nursery room until they’re ready to go in there.

Funnily enough I JUST googled changing mats two minutes ago 😂 for the same 8 drawers. I did like the idea of those like straw basket ones but I think realistically it’ll be more like this first one. I saw one of the straw ones in M&P last week and it just looks like a faff with the edges of the baskets. Also quite like the ones that have done the extender to do the changing station properly on top but not sure if it’s just a waste of money as it’s coming on bare min £50 for that piece of wood.
Thank you! I’ve been looking at the exact same options and deliberating whether it’s worth getting the wooden extension topper like the second one. It does seem easier to change them that way rather than sideways but like you say they’re so expensive (at least the puckdaddy ones are).

Does anybody have recommendations on a baby monitor please?
Assuming you want a video monitor, I think the biggest thing is if you want wi-fi so you an check on baby if you were out of the house and they were with a baby sitter for instance or just in the house.
I had a blink camera for WiFi access and RF (non WiFi) for around the house as I didn’t want to have to have my phone taken up by monitoring all the time.
I ordered about 5 from £60-90 Amazon ones which were all pretty good just not a strong enough signal (I need extra long range) to the well reviewed £200 BT one which was shite. I landed on a ‘hello baby’ one for about £60 which was/is great. No longer available but lots by the same brand on Amazon. I was also recommended v-tech by lots of people.

Can anyone let me know what happens at 16 week appointment?
This breaks them all down https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/your-pregnancy-care/your-antenatal-appointments/

• Heart
Took a break from here after lots of anxiety leading up to the scan but we have had two and baby is looking good. very wriggly and have know been given a due date of the 2nd of Jan so were about 12 and a half weeks. Feel a lot more at ease now. Hope everyone is okay!
Hi due date twin 🥰

I've also not really stepped foot into this thread either until the scan, but all is good and it was lovely to see little one wriggling around! This will be baby number 2 for us ❤ a LOT sooner than planned may i add! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6