Pregnancy #26 Sponsored by Beryl and Keith

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Every hospital will have its own policy. Where I work, spontaneous labourers get both a lateral flow and a PCR on admission and you act upon whatever result you have at the time (obviously with a PCR trumping LFT result). But if the patient is symptomatic, you treat them as positive even if they’ve a negative LFT. Better to be safe than sorry I guess
Thanks for this! I honestly never would’ve thought about having to take tests 🙈 I’ve so far avoided having to take one, and it’ll probably be just my luck I will test positive when I go in to have baby 🙃😂

Reactions: 1
Hey lovely, my baby had/has a dilated kidney that came up on a growth scan too. He had a scan on it to check it when he was 6 weeks old and has had another few tests as well to check for any blockages etc. They just told me to be on the look out for any sign of infection at all but hopefully all is well for you. Enjoy your curries 😉
Thank you for the reassurance! Fingers crossed they’re both fine. I feel better knowing that whatever it might be is at least going to be monitored from early on. Has it caused your little one any issues?. Apparently it’s more common in boys which has cemented my belief it’s definitely a boy if I wasn’t already convinced!

Ooh almost time for a new thread and I’m so looking forward to finally ticking ready to pop on the poll 😃😃😃 and hopefully having my baba in that thread ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I feel so clueless, I don’t even know what babies wear!

I’m trying to be prepared but feel I’m missing something. I’ve been warned not to buy too much newborn as they grow so fast.

So far I’ve just got 10 white shortsleeved bodysuits, 10 white sleepsuits (with feet and mittens), a cardigan, a fleecy hooded pram suit, a few cellular blankets, some separate mittens socks and bootees and a couple of newborn hats.

Will this be enough for the first few months I wonder, and then daytime and pyjama outfits come later? Family will want to buy stuff when we know if we have a boy or girl, and Christmas coming up of course!

Any advice from anyone who actually knows what they’re doing would be gratefully received 🙂

Reactions: 3
Thank you for the reassurance! Fingers crossed they’re both fine. I feel better knowing that whatever it might be is at least going to be monitored from early on. Has it caused your little one any issues?. Apparently it’s more common in boys which has cemented my belief it’s definitely a boy if I wasn’t already convinced!
Hasn’t caused any issues whatsoever! They also said to us worst case scenario was an operation... he had a catheter inserted with dye to check his bladder and urethra(?) and then most recently he had a test which involved a cannula injecting dye into his bloodstream to check his kidney function which has apparently come back as normal but I’m getting the results on Monday. Both tests were totally fine, not saying your baby will have the same but might give you an idea 🤷🏻‍♀️ They said a strong indication that there is a problem is that the flow of urine just trickles out. In our case, it certainly doesn’t because I’ve been sprayed more times than I can count 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Tip from first time mum:

Buy a decent insulated mug with a secure lid on it before baby is born. I’m paranoid about having any hot drinks around baby but can’t survive without coffee so husband and I always use these types of mugs. Obviously we’re still careful but it means our drinks never go cold if baby needs us and we feel reassured using them instead of a normal cup x

I’m trying to be prepared but feel I’m missing something. I’ve been warned not to buy too much newborn as they grow so fast.

So far I’ve just got 10 white shortsleeved bodysuits, 10 white sleepsuits (with feet and mittens), a cardigan, a fleecy hooded pram suit, a few cellular blankets, some separate mittens socks and bootees and a couple of newborn hats.

Will this be enough for the first few months I wonder, and then daytime and pyjama outfits come later? Family will want to buy stuff when we know if we have a boy or girl, and Christmas coming up of course!

Any advice from anyone who actually knows what they’re doing would be gratefully received 🙂
Sounds about right- you’ll also be gifted lots of clothing (sounds awful but don’t forget that places like Next and M & S will take back clothes without a receipt and give you a gift card). We took back lots of gifts as we were drowning in clothes and now I’ve got the gift cards to use on their clothes when they’re older. Another tip is to look out for sleepsuits with zips- they make night changes so much easier

It’s personal preference if you want to keep baby in sleepsuits or cute outfits. Mine is 12 weeks old and still wearing just sleepsuits most of the time. Outfits can be a faff and I just don’t think there is anything cuter that a baby in a sleepsuit

Also remember that baby can’t wear thick coat/pram suit in car seat x

Last edited:
Reactions: 7

That sounds perfect!! Trust me, if this is your first people go mad and buy you enough clothes to start your own shop! I think when my eldest was due we bought a set of 5 newborn vesta & sleep suits and then a set of 7 in 0-3 and 3-6, and we got sooooo much stuff we didn’t even really need them! Just as a little aside as lots of people don’t know when they have their first, you cannot use snow suits or any thick layers in a car seat. So having a thin layer for travelling might also be a good idea.

Reactions: 4

I never used hats or mittens. Most babygrows come with flaps over their hands
My eldest came home wearing a dress, my husband dressed the next in jeans at 6 days old and from then on, I swore my babies would stay in babygrows for at least 6 months 😂 with the occasional outfit thrown in!
You may want some long sleeved vests. I love mine in them
Definitely don’t go over board! I still have stuff in bags from my son with tags on that he and my youngest never wore 🙈

Reactions: 5
After about a month I started putting my little one in leggings and short or long sleeved bodysuits, it was about as easy as a sleepsuit and occasionally reduced the laundry as sometimes only the top or the bottom got sicked on, rather than just a whole sleepsuit 😂

That sounds perfect 😊
People will want to buy you outfits too.
I personally keep them in sleepsuits 99% of the time. I only ever put an outfit on if its on she'd grow out of and someone's bought 😂
She's almost 7 months and have started putting outfits on more

Reactions: 4
That sounds perfect 😊
People will want to buy you outfits too.
I personally keep them in sleepsuits 99% of the time. I only ever put an outfit on if its on she'd grow out of and someone's bought 😂
She's almost 7 months and have started putting outfits on more
Ugh we are noW at the stage where we have clothes to wear (bought for him and I actually bought a few as well) and now I can’t be arsed with it 🤣 sleepsuits are just so much easier for us! We ran out of clean ones yesterday and he had his first outfit and I felt like he was so dressed up!

Reactions: 5
Ugh we are noW at the stage where we have clothes to wear (bought for him and I actually bought a few as well) and now I can’t be arsed with it 🤣 sleepsuits are just so much easier for us! We ran out of clean ones yesterday and he had his first outfit and I felt like he was so dressed up!
I hate having to find socks for the outfits all the time.
Of course all I seem to find come out the washing is 1 odd sick each time. Because they're so friggin small

I hate having to find socks for the outfits all the time.
Of course all I seem to find come out the washing is 1 odd sick each time. Because they're so friggin small
I actually had to buy some socks last week as he has none and I had a panic! Still in the pack though 🤣 I did get those wee leggings from H&M that have feet which are a good job.

Okay so I’m starting to think about the logistics of being in hospital and the first few days with Baby O and I cannot get my head around how to get organised 🤯

For example, is it bad to switch between formula brands? I need to bring some of those ready made bottles with teats to the hospital but the only ones I can find near me are Aptamil. However, when we get home I was hoping I could use the Aldi formula. Will I upset her tummy by switching brands?

And nappies - do I just buy loads of size 1s? Most of them say they fit babies 4-11lbs so I assumed they’d be fine 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is there a difference between brands/supermarkets? Im having visions of being stuck at home and running out of nappies or needing to get different ones 🙈

These are the things currently keeping me up at 4am - that and the hip pain and the peeing every 12 minutes 😰

• Heart
Okay so I’m starting to think about the logistics of being in hospital and the first few days with Baby O and I cannot get my head around how to get organised 🤯

For example, is it bad to switch between formula brands? I need to bring some of those ready made bottles with teats to the hospital but the only ones I can find near me are Aptamil. However, when we get home I was hoping I could use the Aldi formula. Will I upset her tummy by switching brands?

And nappies - do I just buy loads of size 1s? Most of them say they fit babies 4-11lbs so I assumed they’d be fine 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is there a difference between brands/supermarkets? Im having visions of being stuck at home and running out of nappies or needing to get different ones 🙈

These are the things currently keeping me up at 4am - that and the hip pain and the peeing every 12 minutes 😰
From research I did into formula I believe Aldi and aptimal are either made by the same place or made in the place so virtually the same! So you may be ok x

Reactions: 2

Switching the formula should be no problem at all and I always bought the Aldi newborn nappies when my son was born and they were fab. Buy them in bulk (2-4 packs) take 1 pack in hospital and then if you have to stay in for whatever reason your partner can just pop home and get you another pack x

Can’t advise on milk but for nappies it’s well worth trying the supermarket brands. We find them great and they are all at least half the price of pampers. My favourite are aldi and Asda. I got 4 packs of size 1 and 4 packs of size 2 while pregnant. I got a mix of supermarket brands just in case some didn’t suit us.

Thanks for the replies re clothing everyone, I feel better now. It’s the 3am insomnia that makes me wobble and start doubting myself. The call of internet shopping is loud at that time of night!

Swear by supermarket brands. Pampers are rubbish, overrated and overpriced. I would suggest trying different supermarket brands, as baby might not get on with them and may leak, and then you don’t want to be left with loads of unopened nappies
If you are using aldi formula, they have brought our new ‘premium’ nappies which look just like pampers. I’ve got some, hoping they will do the job along with the normal aldi newborn

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.