Pregnancy #25 Sponsored by love hearts and heartburn

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Started the hypnobirthing course with the Positive Birth Company...

So far the woman has suggested that Mr O brings some 'affirmation cards' along to the labour so he can recite statements such as 'birth is powerful but so am I' and ask me how 'powerful' my 'surges' are.

I hope they'll have a surgeon on standby for him, because I have a feeling he'll be having those cards removed from his colon before long.
I did the PBCcourse and also read the book. I went in to labour naturally on Friday last week. I had the affirmation cards put up around your bathroom mirrors so I could stand by the sinks during a contraction and read them to myself. My partner and I spent some time just hanging in the bathroom whilst I had contractions as I felt happy anod safe in the space. He would read the cards to me whilst I was focusing on my breathing. It really helped take my mind off the pain.

affirmations like relaxing my mind, relaxes my muscles and I breathe in peace and exhale tension really helped me focus on breathing and trying to be less tense.

I hugely Credit the hypnobirthing course with me having such a positive pregnancy and approach to birth. My labour did not go to plan at all, but I feel happy and positive towards it all the same 😀

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm glad I'm not the only one overpowered by my cynicism 😂

I've not told Mr O about the affirmation cards yet, but I already know he'd rather curl up and die than talk to me about powerful surges. His role will be to sit quietly and think about what he's done while I squeeze his bowling ball child out of my body.

I bought the course because I was assured by a woman at work that it 'wasn't what I'd think' and I'd find it helpful for managing my anxiety during birth. I started the intro video and she was talking about the psychology of birth, the science modules looked helpful and I thought 'maybe this isn't so bad after all'...

Then I got to one video about words, where she suggests calling them 'surges' not 'contractions' and thinking of them as getting more 'powerful' rather than 'painful', presumably so that as my uterus turns itself inside out and I rip myself a new hole I can relish the prospect of more 'powerful surges' rather than fearing more 'painful contractions'.

Also, she's talking a lot about home births and birthing suites as being the best option, but I've point blank been told I have to go to the Obstetric Unit so I'm not sure how they'll feel about me rocking up with my panpipes playlist and lavender essential oils, asking them to only refer to my powerful surges thankyouverymuch.
I felt the same about hypnobirthing and to be honest I only really used the breathing part of it. I didn't keep the audio on (started listening to it and it just made me more irritable) I didn't use any of the terminology etc.
But I genuinely think it subconsciously gave me a more positive attitude to childbirth, made me less nervous etc. I am 100% a pessimist in real life but I was 100%positive about birth and I think that must have come from hypnobirthing.
I really must listen to some audio soon just to get back into that relaxed state of mind.

Reactions: 4
I did the PBCcourse and also read the book. I went in to labour naturally on Friday last week. I had the affirmation cards put up around your bathroom mirrors so I could stand by the sinks during a contraction and read them to myself. My partner and I spent some time just hanging in the bathroom whilst I had contractions as I felt happy anod safe in the space. He would read the cards to me whilst I was focusing on my breathing. It really helped take my mind off the pain.

affirmations like relaxing my mind, relaxes my muscles and I breathe in peace and exhale tension really helped me focus on breathing and trying to be less tense.

I hugely Credit the hypnobirthing course with me having such a positive pregnancy and approach to birth. My labour did not go to plan at all, but I feel happy and positive towards it all the same 😀
I'm just getting to all the science bit now about hormones etc. and I'm starting to see how the affirmations are supposed to play into that and help. I'm glad you had such a positive experience, it definitely makes me think I should persevere with the course and try and be bit more open minded :)

I felt the same about hypnobirthing and to be honest I only really used the breathing part of it. I didn't keep the audio on (started listening to it and it just made me more irritable) I didn't use any of the terminology etc.
But I genuinely think it subconsciously gave me a more positive attitude to childbirth, made me less nervous etc. I am 100% a pessimist in real life but I was 100%positive about birth and I think that must have come from hypnobirthing.
I really must listen to some audio soon just to get back into that relaxed state of mind.
Yes I'm hoping that understanding all the science-y bits will sort of help with the mindset stuff and I'll feel much more informed about what's happening and why. I'm definitely one of those people that needs to understand 'why' before I can buy into it!

Reactions: 2
They told me I was v low on iron last month so I was tested again last week My bloods came back today (nearly a week later 🙄) and I’m STILL low on iron 😭 I don’t know what more I can do as I have been on strong iron tablets, drink a litre of orange juice, spinach and kale smoothies and iron rich foods 😭 has anyone else had this?
I always found spinach and steak really helped my iron levels (sorry to any vegetarians or vegans here)

Reactions: 1
I always found spinach and steak really helped my iron levels (sorry to any vegetarians or vegans here)
Lol I have a bag of spinach every day blended in a smoothie and I eat steak twice a week so that one is out 🤣

Bit embarassed to admit this but if you all fancy a laugh - Before becoming pregnant I had heard the term hypnobirthing a few times and thought it was where people would get hypnotised into giving birth pain free (Paul McKenna style) 😂😅

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I'm just getting to all the science bit now about hormones etc. and I'm starting to see how the affirmations are supposed to play into that and help. I'm glad you had such a positive experience, it definitely makes me think I should persevere with the course and try and be bit more open minded :)

Yes I'm hoping that understanding all the science-y bits will sort of help with the mindset stuff and I'll feel much more informed about what's happening and why. I'm definitely one of those people that needs to understand 'why' before I can buy into it!
I ended up having contractions for nearly 30 hours. Almost a third of that was on my own, a third with my partner at home and a third lying on my side in hospital with monitors attached for baby. contracting on your side is pants 😢 staying upright, forward and open had been helping me so much at home.
I really enjoyed watching bits of the course with my partner and discussing it with him. Having a better understanding of the physiology of birth, really helped me visualise what was happening during the contractions. And it is true, no contraction is a waste and each one means you are closer to meeting baby 😀

I ended up having my waters broken, an epidural and emergency c section- so not a typical PBC birth, but even as they were suggesting the c- section my partner was there asking about benefits, risks, alternatives and what if we didn’t do anything for a while. He wouldn’t have thought to do that without the course. It did push him to be an informed birth partner which made me feel safe and in good hands.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Lol I have a bag of spinach every day blended in a smoothie and I eat steak twice a week so that one is out 🤣
Oh the iron transfusion might be better then, although I'd expect your doctor to bring that up with you.....It will most likely depend on how low it is on that scale thingy they do (it's been 5 years since it was discussed with me.........and I'm fully expecting it again :oops: )

Bit embarassed to admit this but if you all fancy a laugh - Before becoming pregnant I had heard the term hypnobirthing a few times and thought it was where people would get hypnotised into giving birth pain free (Paul McKenna style) 😂😅
Any time I mentioned hypnobirthing in work last time ALL my colleagues thought the same. They thought i was going to be in a trance for the birth

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Moan incoming..

im laid on my bed with both cats looking at me crying, gone out. Third sweep yesterday doesn’t seem to have worked. Another tomorrow potentially for what it’s worth, times stood still for a week now. It’s my OH birthday, pulled myself together to go out for dinner. He doesn’t know what to say to cheer me up. I just keep sobbing I don’t know what to do. I feel bored, isolated, heavy AF, guilty I’m feeling this way after everything we went through to even get pregnant and if one more person texts me to ask how things are going I’m going to crack. Induction next Monday, which Googling tells me will be hell. I’m just really fucked off 😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
So more embarrassing I used to love Paul McKennas books and cds absolutely swore by them I put getting my degree down to him for ages!! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Moan incoming..

im laid on my bed with both cats looking at me crying, gone out. Third sweep yesterday doesn’t seem to have worked. Another tomorrow potentially for what it’s worth, times stood still for a week now. It’s my OH birthday, pulled myself together to go out for dinner. He doesn’t know what to say to cheer me up. I just keep sobbing I don’t know what to do. I feel bored, isolated, heavy AF, guilty I’m feeling this way after everything we went through to even get pregnant and if one more person texts me to ask how things are going I’m going to crack. Induction next Monday, which Googling tells me will be hell. I’m just really fucked off 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Pregnancy is bloody hard esp at the end. The waiting, the nerves, the uncomfortable-ness etc and then people constantly asking for updates into the mix! Just be gentle on yourself ❤❤ easier said than done but it won't be long now even though it feels like it will never happen

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Any time I mentioned hypnobirthing in work last time ALL my colleagues thought the same. They thought i was going to be in a trance for the birth
Basically what I thought it was too😂

So more embarrassing I used to love Paul McKennas books and cds absolutely swore by them I put getting my degree down to him for ages!! 😂
Yeh I used to watch him on tv a lot 😂

• Haha
Moan incoming..

I've had 3 inductions and would happily do them again! People only tell you horror stories!

This is the problem when they give you a due date because so few babies come on their due date and it gets women down and everyone focuses on that date

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Basically what I thought it was too😂

Yeh I used to watch him on tv a lot 😂
His tracks used to come on when I had my music on shuffle and my family used to take the piss so much! 😂

I wish we could be hypnotised into a chill pain free birth maybe we should message him the idea for his next book 😂

Moan incoming..

I cried hysterically for about half a day when I got booked for induction at 41 weeks, and was dreading it so much because like you, all I'd heard was horror stories.

Mine was fine, I was able to delay having the hormone drip and to contract naturally for quite a while, then when I did have to have the drip it was intense but I'm sure "natural" labour is too!
I managed it on gas and air and felt really positive at the end of it.

It's a hard old time at the end of pregnancy, but you will get to meet your baby soon, and however they're born you'll kick ass!

Moan incoming..

My sweeps never worked, and with my first, there was 5 of us pregnant at the same time. I was the second to be due and ended up 4th giving birth. Even my cat had kittens before me, and it was honestly so tit. The texts are the worst. Even more so when people find out you’re being induced so they text you every hour for an update 🙃
Anyway… don’t google inductions. Don’t google anything. My second induction was my best one, and it was so straight forward. They’re not always bad

ETA - the drugs are there for a reason. If it gets unbearable have them!

38+3 and I have stomach ache. 90% of me is sure it’s a trapped wind pain (though the rennie I just had has done nothing) the other 10% of me is what if this is how it starts 😂😂

Haha! Me too! Even when the midwife mentioned hypnobirthing I told her 'nah, not for me thanks.' It was only afterwards I looked it up and realised I was completely wrong. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Same here - I read a book (I need to get my friend to post it back to me) and I found the breathing really helped me. I’m not one for the fancy affirmations and all that jazz either but give me technical and I can deal with it.
i realise now at almost 29wks this is something I should really be starting to look at / start trying to gear up towards 😱

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.